gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 12:38:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love on Love & Mercy: ‘Poor Brian, He’s Had a Rough, Rough Time’  (Read 128437 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: June 11, 2015, 08:15:45 PM »

Then, wouldn't that invalidate the 'probably ' part?

Not in my dictionary.

1. The interviewer uses a quote from a reviewer about the movie regarding bickering during PS, Mike has just said he hasn't seen the movie and can't comment on it so he comments on how untrue the reviewer's characterization (and others) is about how it was with him and Brian during PS.  Not ridiculous at all, on topic and in context.

2. I didn't say anyone here HAD said anything different, I didn't see where anyone mentioned it at all but I haven't read every post.

3. See my post to EoL, please.

1. He doesn't comment on the reviewers perspective because he never denies the bickering. He just goes into a tangent about how he thinks people think he didn't want Pet Sounds released...and where he got that idea is beyond me.

2. Then why even bring it up?

3. Your post to EoL still makes no sense. You didn't need to be at a Landy therapy session to understand that changing your patients will to make you the main beneficiary is overstepping the bounds. Not to mention that Brian was visibly PHYSICALLY and more MENTALLY damaged under Landy's care. Saying "probably" to overstepping the bounds is ridiculous when faced with the obvious.

But defend away, Cam. As usual I was not disappointed by your solid logic and hard hitting points.

Well let me return the compliment because nothing you have said makes sense to me.

And, that, my friends, is why we're not getting anywhere. It's like describing a rainbow to Stevie Wonder...not going to happen no matter how hard we try. I don't know how else to spell it out aside from getting out the flash cards and sock puppets. My God, man...all the years I've known you on all the various BB boards. ...you used to be one of the most intelligent, well-spoken posters on any of the boards. Seriously...what the hell happened to you?  I'm seriously at a loss here.

And for the record, lest I be accused again of being anti-Mike, let me spell it out...I always give credit for credit is due. I'm on of the few people who *like* Looking back with Love, and I have an immense dislike of Imagination (although not as much as Orange Crate Art, which IMHO is the worst thing featuring vocals by a BB member apart from Going Pubic)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 08:25:22 PM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 11, 2015, 08:28:27 PM »

Going Public is a hidden gem. You can feel the mic stand in every song.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: June 11, 2015, 08:30:09 PM »

Different strokes for...whatever Sly said...

I think OCA is outstandingly brilliant and helped pave the way for an improving Brian.  Van Dyke to the rescue.

That other 'thing' makes my skin and teeth crawl.  And once I heard Celebration...I never ever celebrated again.  But I do like many of Mike's tunes with the Boys...including his spoken word 'Beaks of eagles' thingy.  Well done.

But the guy needs a PR person so badly that he's...like...murdering himself.  It's not suicide.  But it is.  He's a business guy.  He's written some good lyrics.  He worked out well for the Beach Boys in a variety of ways as a singer.  But as a deep thinker?  Not unlike many of us...ol' Mike needs some guidance.  And he needs it a LOT more than the average Joe.

Maybe he can't or won't take direction.  In that case...all bets are off.  Otherwise...his foot looks like a piece of Swiss Cheese [with toes] from all of the holes he's blasted into it..  Somebody take that poop-shootin' scatter-gun away from him.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 11, 2015, 08:31:17 PM »

The fact that Cam Mott is a real person is so awesome guys. I love that there is this guy somewhere in America who is obsessed with the bald, paunchy, nasal, insecure, occasional lead singer of The Beach Boys. I'm glad somebody like that exists. Admittedly there are many, many, many nutty Brian Wilson fans. A whole lot them probably, you know? Because Brian Wilson is a household name. He gets Hollywood movies made about him. He still gets signed to major label record deals. Writes near entire albums that are still going at least top 40, but one went top three! He's asked by many musicians, young or old to contribute to their music still.

Then you got Mike Love. Well....he fronts a band called The Beach Boys. That's neat. Hits on lots of women on tour as we've heard. I'm sure a few of 'em must say yes. Hears his group's songs in the movies he goes to see. So that must be enjoyable too. However, when he records new stuff these days, he can't get it released unless Cousin Brian is involved in a big way. Or unless Union 76 gas stations or your local Canadian Dodge dealer wanna put out some of his new masterpieces. He definitely doesn't get movies written about him, unless he can get Uncle Jessie Katsopolis (or is it Jessie Cochran? Why did this pretty average uncle in late '80s San Francisco change his last name between season one and two? Also, if he didn't why was his parents last name also Katsopolis later in the series? Did they all change their names? Or was Cochran a pseudonym? Seems ol' Uncle Jessie was confused) to make him a TV movie. But shoot, even that concentrated on Cousin Brian, even if it made him look like some type of idiot savant. Plus everybody is so mean to big bad Mike Love online. It's not fair. I mean, "ontor pertwast" and "CenturyDeprived" obviously are nationally known figures, and how dare they talk about Mike Love like they do! It's not fair!

So that's why we need Cam. He makes up for all the tough shakes Mike keeps getting. He will go to lengths that no rational, sane person would do. Probably.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 11, 2015, 08:40:48 PM »

That Mike quote above also isn't, in my opinion, the best quote to use if one is trying to contend that Mike was most concerned about what was happening to Brian medically/mentally. Granted, it's the author of the article's characterization and emphasis, but it implies that Mike is more concerned with Landy stealing Brian away from the Beach Boys than he is concerned with how f-ed up Brian is due to Landy's abuse.

I disagree, Mike is showing that not only was Landy an unethical "psychologist" and "life manager" but he was also a crap creative/business partner deceiving Brian.

Still defending the usage of "probably", Cam? You're ok with the implication that there's still the possibility for a little bit of doubt that Landy's abusive actions were quantifiable as "going too far"?

That maybe, just maybe, Landy didn't go too far? Is that what you are saying?

Defending it? It has a meaning * adverb - very likely ; almost certainly * which Mike used to explain his understanding. Did you forget that Mike defended Brian against Landy's villainy back in the day?

I did not forget that Mike defended Brian against Landy's villainy back in the day; in fact, I brought that up in another earlier thread, in saying that if Mike had his way, he might have wanted a scene of that in L&M. So I am well aware of it, and I think that's a good stance that he took then.

What I am perplexed by is why the current interview's question of did Landy go too far over the line could possibly be answered as "very likely/almost certainly" (to use those synonyms of "probably" which you mentioned), instead of "absolutely" or "certainly". As I mentioned a moment ago, that leaves the window open for the possibility that maybe there is a slight chance that Landy in fact did not go too far. THAT is what I am getting at; THAT is what people are completely perplexed by, and even typically staunch defenders of Mike in this thread have seemed flabergasted at such a term that leaves the window open for thinking that maybe Landy did not go too far.

Do you feel that for Mike in this current interview (regardless of older Landy-bashing interviews) to use a light term like "probably" is perfectly acceptable and NOT worthy of criticism/questioning?  Because it seems you are not criticizing or questioning the usage of that "probably" word whatsoever.

Again - I am talking about the word choice in THIS interview, NOT an old interview.

It's not hard to just say "yeah, maybe that was too light a term that Mike used; maybe a poor choice of words". Is it really that hard to say that?

Cam, did you have any reply to my above response to you?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 11, 2015, 08:49:48 PM »

Not in my dictionary.

1. The interviewer uses a quote from a reviewer about the movie regarding bickering during PS, Mike has just said he hasn't seen the movie and can't comment on it so he comments on how untrue the reviewer's characterization (and others) is about how it was with him and Brian during PS.  Not ridiculous at all, on topic and in context.

2. I didn't say anyone here HAD said anything different, I didn't see where anyone mentioned it at all but I haven't read every post.

1. He doesn't comment on the reviewers perspective because he never denies the bickering. He just goes into a tangent about how he thinks people think he didn't want Pet Sounds released...and where he got that idea is beyond me.

3. Your post to EoL still makes no sense. You didn't need to be at a Landy therapy session to understand that changing your patients will to make you the main beneficiary is overstepping the bounds. Not to mention that Brian was visibly PHYSICALLY and more MENTALLY damaged under Landy's care. Saying "probably" to overstepping the bounds is ridiculous when faced with the obvious.

But defend away, Cam. As usual I was not disappointed by your solid logic and hard hitting points.

Well let me return the compliment because nothing you have said makes sense to me.

And, that, my friends, is why we're not getting anywhere. It's like describing a rainbow to Stevie Wonder...not going to happen no matter how hard we try. I don't know how else to spell it out aside from getting out the flash cards and sock puppets. My God, man...all the years I've known you on all the various BB boards. ...you used to be one of the most intelligent, well-spoken posters on any of the boards. Seriously...what the hell happened to you?  I'm seriously at a loss here.

And for the record, lest I be accused again of being anti-Mike, let me spell it out...I always give credit for credit is due. I'm on of the few people who *like* Looking back with Love, and I have an immense dislike of Imagination (although not as much as Orange Crate Art, which IMHO is the worst thing featuring vocals by a BB member apart from Going Pubic)

Oh I get everything you guys are saying but it makes as little sense to me as you fellas so graciously claim I make to you.

Stay classy fellas, once again making it personal. (slow clap)

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 11, 2015, 08:54:55 PM »

That Mike quote above also isn't, in my opinion, the best quote to use if one is trying to contend that Mike was most concerned about what was happening to Brian medically/mentally. Granted, it's the author of the article's characterization and emphasis, but it implies that Mike is more concerned with Landy stealing Brian away from the Beach Boys than he is concerned with how f-ed up Brian is due to Landy's abuse.

I disagree, Mike is showing that not only was Landy an unethical "psychologist" and "life manager" but he was also a crap creative/business partner deceiving Brian.

Still defending the usage of "probably", Cam? You're ok with the implication that there's still the possibility for a little bit of doubt that Landy's abusive actions were quantifiable as "going too far"?

That maybe, just maybe, Landy didn't go too far? Is that what you are saying?

Defending it? It has a meaning * adverb - very likely ; almost certainly * which Mike used to explain his understanding. Did you forget that Mike defended Brian against Landy's villainy back in the day?

I did not forget that Mike defended Brian against Landy's villainy back in the day; in fact, I brought that up in another earlier thread, in saying that if Mike had his way, he might have wanted a scene of that in L&M. So I am well aware of it, and I think that's a good stance that he took then.

What I am perplexed by is why the current interview's question of did Landy go too far over the line could possibly be answered as "very likely/almost certainly" (to use those synonyms of "probably" which you mentioned), instead of "absolutely" or "certainly". As I mentioned a moment ago, that leaves the window open for the possibility that maybe there is a slight chance that Landy in fact did not go too far. THAT is what I am getting at; THAT is what people are completely perplexed by, and even typically staunch defenders of Mike in this thread have seemed flabergasted at such a term that leaves the window open for thinking that maybe Landy did not go too far.

Do you feel that for Mike in this current interview (regardless of older Landy-bashing interviews) to use a light term like "probably" is perfectly acceptable and NOT worthy of criticism/questioning?  Because it seems you are not criticizing or questioning the usage of that "probably" word whatsoever.

Again - I am talking about the word choice in THIS interview, NOT an old interview.

It's not hard to just say "yeah, maybe that was too light a term that Mike used; maybe a poor choice of words". Is it really that hard to say that?

Cam, did you have any reply to my above response to you?

Probably. Which one because I wouldn't want to not reply to every one of your responses?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 08:56:14 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: June 11, 2015, 11:30:07 PM »

Not in my dictionary.

1. The interviewer uses a quote from a reviewer about the movie regarding bickering during PS, Mike has just said he hasn't seen the movie and can't comment on it so he comments on how untrue the reviewer's characterization (and others) is about how it was with him and Brian during PS.  Not ridiculous at all, on topic and in context.

And, that, my friends, is why we're not getting anywhere. It's like describing a rainbow to Stevie Wonder...not going to happen no matter how hard we try. I don't know how else to spell it out aside from getting out the flash cards and sock puppets. My God, man...all the years I've known you on all the various BB boards. ...you used to be one of the most intelligent, well-spoken posters on any of the boards. Seriously...what the hell happened to you?  I'm seriously at a loss here.

Oh I get everything you guys are saying but it makes as little sense to me as you fellas so graciously claim I make to you.

Stay classy fellas, once again making it personal. (slow clap)

Did I say you make no sense to me? Read my post again.

What makes no sense to me, is that the Cam Mott I used to know wasn't like this. I'm not being sarcastic when I say this, but I remember reading your posts discussing Smile back in the day and being quite impressed. I was like 'this guy really knows his sh*t'. That Cam Mott wouldn't be posting some of the stuff I've had the misfortune to read lately.  I'm not even convinced this *is* the same person, and not somebody using the same screen name.  But assuming it is...

You are seriously the only person on the board for whom Mike can do no wrong. He could go out and shoot video of him eating kittens alive, post it up on YouTube, and you would still think he walks on water. Even the biggest Mike defenders here can at least admit that this wasn't his best moment, and that he made a mistake in his comments. Except you. I get it...we have a few people here who are completely anti-Mike, and he can do no right in their eyes. So, you're the polar opposite. I get that. What I don't get is why. What makes Mike (or anybody) so special to you that you have to blindly worship him to the point where you can't admit his faults?  Or, is it just to be contrary, because you enjoy the debate and back-and-forth, and love see people get annoyed? I honestly want to know.

So yeah, I posted what I did, because you'd be surprised how many people here would throw a party if you weren't here, because they think you're just trying to start sh*t. I posted what I did to basically say 'guys, it's not that, it's that he just doesn't get it '

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 12, 2015, 12:07:33 AM »

I really hate to say this, because I hate to have any kind of compassion or sympathy for landy and his cronies, but at the end of the day...a son loves his father. Maybe Mike saw that in evan's comments, tried to empathize with it, but just worded his thoughts very, very poorly.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: June 12, 2015, 12:16:42 AM »

I really hate to say this, because I hate to have any kind of compassion or sympathy for landy and his cronies, but at the end of the day...a son loves his father. Maybe Mike saw that in evan's comments, tried to empathize with it, but just worded his thoughts very, very poorly.

I can see that. I can see him trying to also state that we shouldn't take out our (justified) hatred of Landy out on his spawn, but doing a piss poor job of it. Those who were actually around, though, when Evan was in the picture, seem to disagree. The fact that he was made up to resemble Brian in that picture, though, gave me the creeps (although I have no way of knowing if that came from the Landy seed or from the rag that published the story)

I wonder if Mike had any actual interaction with the Landy-spawn?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 12, 2015, 12:30:40 AM »

Remember when Brian and landy had matching blonde hair? That photo of evan dressed as modern day Brian is like a creepy and twisted version of Groundhog Day.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: June 12, 2015, 12:40:39 AM »

Glad Alexandra Morgan didn't have the same dysfunction...I'd hate to see THOSE lookalike photos!

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 12, 2015, 01:36:40 AM »

Of course, the M&B Beach Boys have changed since 2004 - not a lot though since 2014, when I last saw them.

So, in your cosmos, it's acceptable to consider a 90 minute outdoor meat & spuds GH show as broadly equivalent to a three hours plus indoor show that delved deep into the catalog when considering whether or not to attend the latter . 33-odd songs as opposed to nearly twice that number. What a strange world yours is.

I didn't attend the latest Beach Boys shows because with every additional interview Mike does in which he yet again reminds us that Brian did drugs I feel less prepared to support him.  And  every time the band plays I'm told it's better than last time and I go and it still isn't to my taste.

I didn't know the set list in advance and even now I do,  most of those songs are from the first 5 years of the band's career or trying to emulate songs of that period (eg Getcha Back, Goin' to the Beach etc).  And it's the way in which it is presented too. Did they have the infernal beach balls? Mike's stage persona seems to have toned down a bit from what I've seen. Again I couldn't know this in advance but it wouldn't have changed my mind.

As you can see, I wrote that the M&B Beach Boys had not changed a lot -  the band, not the set list. Randell Kirsch has gone and Brian Eichenberger has been added.
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 12, 2015, 03:44:32 AM »

Here's Brian's response to questions regarding Mike Love (from this interview: http://icondv.com/interviews/brian-wilson-06-2015.html):

Is it fair to say you’re done with the Beach Boys after that last tour, and with the way that Mike Love dismissed everyone, aren’t you glad to be rid of them?

Yeah, that’s true, we’re done with the Beach Boys for now. I mean we might make another album at some point, who knows, but for now we’re over.

Talking about the Boys, in the film Love & Mercy, Mike Love comes across as a controlling jerk. Did the director Bill Pohlad portray him accurately? Did actor Jake Abel?

I don’t think he’s a jerk. I do believe that he was portrayed very well in that movie.

He was always on your back, though, to tend to the commercial rather than the artistic.

He was an anchor. He wrote a lot of the words to songs like “Good Vibrations.” And he’s a good man.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 03:48:34 AM by marcusb » Logged
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 12, 2015, 04:02:01 AM »

Here's Brian's response to questions regarding Mike Love (from this interview: http://icondv.com/interviews/brian-wilson-06-2015.html):

Is it fair to say you’re done with the Beach Boys after that last tour, and with the way that Mike Love dismissed everyone, aren’t you glad to be rid of them?

Yeah, that’s true, we’re done with the Beach Boys for now. I mean we might make another album at some point, who knows, but for now we’re over.

Talking about the Boys, in the film Love & Mercy, Mike Love comes across as a controlling jerk. Did the director Bill Pohlad portray him accurately? Did actor Jake Abel?

I don’t think he’s a jerk. I do believe that he was portrayed very well in that movie.

He was always on your back, though, to tend to the commercial rather than the artistic.

He was an anchor. He wrote a lot of the words to songs like “Good Vibrations.” And he’s a good man.

I love this bit:

"Talking about the Boys, in the film Love & Mercy, Mike Love comes across as a controlling jerk. Did the director Bill Pohlad portray him accurately? Did actor Jake Abel?"

"I don’t think he’s a jerk. I do believe that he was portrayed very well in that movie."

I don't doubt though that Brian still has affection for Mike. They're family and the relationship is a complex one. It is probably easier for Brian, who grew up with Mike, worked with him for years, knows him far better than most of us do, to forgive than for those of us who have no relationship with him to soften our feelings. Brian does seem to have an incredible capacity for forgiveness too. Look at the things he has said about Eugene Landy. Even if Brian was suffering from a Helsinki Syndrome kind of reaction, it's now years after the event and Brian still seems sad rather than really angry.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 04:03:14 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 12, 2015, 04:02:31 AM »

That peculiar moment when Cam Mott becomes the topic of dicussion...

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 12, 2015, 04:41:44 AM »

That peculiar moment when Cam Mott becomes the topic of dicussion...

What's peculiar about it? The board consensus is his posts are weird at best and no one ever agrees with him (except for the usual 2-3 posters - the self-proclaimed "obejctive fact-based moral minority").
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 04:44:35 AM by Hamstring Hero » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: June 12, 2015, 05:56:05 AM »

Darian and Scott Bennett are awesome, but I'd just as soon see Brian take their spots back and give them to Al or Blondie or himself.

Does it really have to be either / or? I mean, Al and Blondie are members of BW's group this summer.

I don't think it actually is an either/or situation; I don't sense anyone in Brian's band is counting how many leads each guy has. My idea was more of a theoretical. *If* it actually meant we'd get more leads from Brian, Al, or Blondie, I'd be okay with losing the leads from backing band members.

I feel like, with Brian's band, there's even less need to have other band members sing leads when there are two additional capable lead vocalists (Beach Boys to boot, and who are prominently advertised on promotional materials) in the form of Al and Blondie.

Some falsetto bits are a bit different I suppose, as various touring iterations of Beach Boy bands have been using surrogate falsetto vocalists since the early 80's.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: June 12, 2015, 05:58:03 AM »

By would anybody be surprised by this?  He never has any problem saying what is on his mind. It is just unfortunate that the Wilson drug consumption occupies a major portion of his thoughts.

I still sense we're not literally getting an unfiltered Mike though. This isn't like Brian crossing out the "Great" in "Thanks for the great music" and writing "Good" instead when signing Don Henley's CD. That's strikes me more as an unfiltered guy who has no agenda; that's just how he is. Whereas, Mike's interviews strike me as much more calculated in offering sometimes blunt points.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: June 12, 2015, 06:06:59 AM »

Well at least Mike and his entourage have achieved their objective. Like when NPP landed, smoke and mirrors people, take the focus of Love and Mercy.

Only here on this board. Mike's interview hasn't registered a blip in the real world.

Isn't that true of about 99% of what's discussed here?

When was the last time Mike was a big media story? Hrrrmm. I'd guess in September 2012 when "Mike Love fires Brian Wilson" was a top "trending" and "tweeted" topic.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: June 12, 2015, 06:16:25 AM »

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: June 12, 2015, 06:17:01 AM »

Holy s**t, those are not only lucid, thoughtful answers, but they’re dignified despite baiting from the interviewer to say something bad about Mike.

Again, Brian is being both more dignified *and* smarter PR-wise in taking the high road.

The Beach Boys/Brother collectively need a manager to get *all* of the guys to take the high road like that. A manager should be there so that a Mike Love interview reads like this:

Question: The “Love & Mercy” film has been getting a lot of attention lately. Have you seen the film, and what do you think of it?
Answer: I haven’t seen the film. But I wish Brian all the best with this film and with his upcoming tour.

Question: Drugs quite negatively impacted you and the band over the years, yes?
Answer: Drug and alcohol abuse hurt a lot of people and a lot of musical acts over the years. Thankfully, all of the Beach Boys are well past that stage these days, and we’re all healthy and active.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 12, 2015, 06:26:23 AM »

Holy s**t, those are not only lucid, thoughtful answers, but they’re dignified despite baiting from the interviewer to say something bad about Mike.

Again, Brian is being both more dignified *and* smarter PR-wise in taking the high road.

The Beach Boys/Brother collectively need a manager to get *all* of the guys to take the high road like that. A manager should be there so that a Mike Love interview reads like this:

Question: The “Love & Mercy” film has been getting a lot of attention lately. Have you seen the film, and what do you think of it?
Answer: I haven’t seen the film. But I wish Brian all the best with this film and with his upcoming tour.

Answer: Drug and alcohol abuse hurt a lot of people and a lot of musical acts over the years. Thankfully, all of the Beach Boys are well past that stage these days, and we’re all healthy and active.

Unless Mike is repeatedly misquoted, he is either badly advised or he doesn't listen to it. A few answers like your suggested ones and Mike would see a change in people's perception of him.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 12, 2015, 06:45:17 AM »

Those would be the answers of a respectable man. As many times as Mike has been interviewed throughout his career, it should be such a simple thing by now.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 12, 2015, 06:51:40 AM »

Those would be the answers of a respectable man. As many times as Mike has been interviewed throughout his career, it should be such a simple thing by now.

C'mon guys. This role playing is the ultimate BB-nerd trait. Devoting time to writing toy-scripts for Mike Love is a little too much. He's 74. Nobody changes at that age; he'll keep being like he is. Take it or leave it. He's capable of graciousness kindness and warm-heartedness too, as proven so many times. He's a cool guy by accounts of the many fans that meet him. But he'll rub these Brian-related topics on people's noses forever.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx