gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 09:13:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love on Love & Mercy: ‘Poor Brian, He’s Had a Rough, Rough Time’  (Read 127382 times)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 11, 2015, 03:55:08 PM »

As for the Mike interview...meh. It's stuff he's said a million times over. He clearly doesn't want to go down in history as the one guy who hated "Pet Sounds". The reporter misrepresented his character in the film to him, Mike hasn't seen it, so it was a conversation about basically....nothing.

Nah, he wants to go down in history as the guy who found fault with and questioned the acid alliteration lyric words for the album after Pet Sounds (which he proudly owns up to doing), and who has a couple steadfast followers who oddly can't bring themselves to follow in his footsteps to even remotely question words.

Shouldn't that be what Mike's fans do? Question words that are of questionable appropriateness? His fans (all both of them) should do what 1966 Mike would do. Be like 1966 Mike and question away! If you're a troo fan of Mike, you'll learn by example. Untroo fan alert if you don't.

You'd have to ask a Mike fan. I'm a fan of The Beach Boys, meaning I've been exposed to dubious comments for the past 30 years from various members but...strangely enough...they never affect my enjoyment of the old albums. Mike's comments about VDP's lyrics never made me like those lyrics any less. Brian saying he hates his performance on "Let Him Run Wild" never stops me from thinking that it's possibly the very best singing he ever did. As I said, this interview was same old same old. The biggest takeaway I got it from this interview was this idea about doing remakes of old hits with guest artists, which I don't think can even happen legally. Why there aren't 10 pages devoted to discussion about that? That's a hell of a lot more interesting than people flying into hysterics and dissecting how and why Mike used the word "probably" in a sentence.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:56:26 PM by GhostyTMRS » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: June 11, 2015, 03:57:53 PM »

The biggest takeaway I got it from this interview was this idea about doing remakes of old hits with guest artists, which I don't think can even happen legally. Why there aren't 10 pages devoted to discussion about that? That's a hell of a lot more interesting than people flying into hysterics and dissecting how and why Mike used the word "probably" in a sentence.

Good point, and I don't think it can.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 11, 2015, 03:58:16 PM »

Of course, the M&B Beach Boys have changed since 2004 - not a lot though since 2014, when I last saw them.

So, in your cosmos, it's acceptable to consider a 90 minute outdoor meat & spuds GH show as broadly equivalent to a three hours plus indoor show that delved deep into the catalog when considering whether or not to attend the latter . 33-odd songs as opposed to nearly twice that number. What a strange world yours is.

Based on the UK shows Andrew? Both M&B and Brian raise the bar there. A bit early to tell but I have a feeling the setlists for the US tour this summer will be pretty close to those of last year.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 11, 2015, 04:00:32 PM »

I thought about the mention c/o the covers Album, and the first thing that came to mind was something along the lines of the NASCAR tribute release. Anything else would certainly be in violation of the license.

The other thing that got me at the end was the sheer enthusiasm about how 'we're gonna do THIS, and we're gonna do THAT...' He thinks it's 1992 all over again, and the world is waiting for the next Mike Love release. It's a little odd, to say the least.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:03:28 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 11, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »

Of course, the M&B Beach Boys have changed since 2004 - not a lot though since 2014, when I last saw them.

So, in your cosmos, it's acceptable to consider a 90 minute outdoor meat & spuds GH show as broadly equivalent to a three hours plus indoor show that delved deep into the catalog when considering whether or not to attend the latter . 33-odd songs as opposed to nearly twice that number. What a strange world yours is.

Out of curiousity, when did Mike and Co. last perform a comparable set list in the states? I would love to see one of those wide ranging euro shows, but Mike seems not to do them over here.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 11, 2015, 04:04:31 PM »

Why don't they get some country stars to re-record those hits?

....oh. Wink
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 11, 2015, 04:07:47 PM »

Out of curiousity, when did Mike and Co. last perform a comparable set list in the states? I would love to see one of those wide ranging euro shows, but Mike seems not to do them over here.

Check out the slate of US shows this summer for Mike and Bruce. Wonder which venue will be the lucky recipient of the UK setlist?  http://www.thebeachboys.com/#go_page_2607

Hang on...August 2nd, Fort Wayne, Indiana. My sources tell me that they will perform SMILE in its' entirety.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: June 11, 2015, 04:14:03 PM »

There would be nothing prohibiting Mike from re-recording BB hits (or any other published song) by himself or with guest artists. He did that with the "Union 76" gas station album and the Adrian Baker car dealership CD.

What Mike can't do is call any such album a "Beach Boys" album, which I'm sure he knows.

Why Mike thinks this is a good idea, I haven't a clue. Maybe nobody showed him the sales figures and reviews for "Stars and Stripes."

Meanwhile, Al recently said he's working on "Runaway" back at his studio.  Undecided

So you know what, maybe these guys need Brian and Joe Thomas to write them an album of songs! Worked relatively well in 2012.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 11, 2015, 04:15:21 PM »

Let's go doo dah! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: June 11, 2015, 04:19:04 PM »

And I would assume some who are 50/50 on seeing Mike's shows have misgivings that go beyond the setlist. Mike's band is tight and professional. But some folks place more of an emphasis on seeing actual Beach Boys sing this stuff. I think, believe it or not, I'd rather see Al Jardine sing "Help Me Rhonda" for the millionth time than Jeff Foskett or Scott Totten sing "Surf's Up."

Darian and Scott Bennett are awesome, but I'd just as soon see Brian take their spots back and give them to Al or Blondie or himself.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 11, 2015, 04:41:40 PM »

And I would assume some who are 50/50 on seeing Mike's shows have misgivings that go beyond the setlist. Mike's band is tight and professional. But some folks place more of an emphasis on seeing actual Beach Boys sing this stuff. I think, believe it or not, I'd rather see Al Jardine sing "Help Me Rhonda" for the millionth time than Jeff Foskett or Scott Totten sing "Surf's Up."

Darian and Scott Bennett are awesome, but I'd just as soon see Brian take their spots back and give them to Al or Blondie or himself.

This brings up something that probably deserves it's own thread. When was the last time the Beach Boys were a functioning rock and roll band on stage and made major instrumental contributions to the sound coming over the PA system (in other words, THEY were the band you were hearing, not an army of sidemen)?
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: June 11, 2015, 04:42:25 PM »

Why there aren't 10 pages devoted to discussion about that? That's a hell of a lot more interesting than people flying into hysterics and dissecting how and why Mike used the word "probably" in a sentence.

Recipe for generating a thread with more than 10 pages:

(1) Find a public figure who said something like "The Americans probably landed on the moon", "Lionel Messi is probably better than anyone who plays for Scunthorpe United" or "Dr. Landy probably went beyond the bounds of therapy".  

(2) Keep defending or trying to explain away that use of "probably".

Nothing to it, except for step (1). Oh, wait.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:44:28 PM by Larry Franz » Logged

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 11, 2015, 04:45:06 PM »

As for the Mike interview...meh. It's stuff he's said a million times over. He clearly doesn't want to go down in history as the one guy who hated "Pet Sounds". The reporter misrepresented his character in the film to him, Mike hasn't seen it, so it was a conversation about basically....nothing.

Nah, he wants to go down in history as the guy who found fault with and questioned the acid alliteration lyric words for the album after Pet Sounds (which he proudly owns up to doing), and who has a couple steadfast followers who oddly can't bring themselves to follow in his footsteps to even remotely question words.

Shouldn't that be what Mike's fans do? Question words that are of questionable appropriateness? His fans (all both of them) should do what 1966 Mike would do. Be like 1966 Mike and question away! If you're a troo fan of Mike, you'll learn by example. Untroo fan alert if you don't.

You'd have to ask a Mike fan. I'm a fan of The Beach Boys, meaning I've been exposed to dubious comments for the past 30 years from various members but...strangely enough...they never affect my enjoyment of the old albums. Mike's comments about VDP's lyrics never made me like those lyrics any less. Brian saying he hates his performance on "Let Him Run Wild" never stops me from thinking that it's possibly the very best singing he ever did. As I said, this interview was same old same old. The biggest takeaway I got it from this interview was this idea about doing remakes of old hits with guest artists, which I don't think can even happen legally. Why there aren't 10 pages devoted to discussion about that? That's a hell of a lot more interesting than people flying into hysterics and dissecting how and why Mike used the word "probably" in a sentence.

I still love the old records. The high art all the way down to a good deal of the lard. I truly dig Kokomo. I still have affection, believe it or not, for about 50% of SIP tracks. I think the convo continues because it's baffling how some people want to defend the word "probably" when it's indefensible in context, and those defenders keep using roadblocks and diversions to avoid dealing with that truth.  Cam, for example, is backed into a corner of trying to explain why he agrees with the parameters of possibility (however remote) that Landy did not go too far (which "probably" implies) and remains silent to mine and Billy's last questions posed to him. He doesn't want to say that Landy maybe just maybe might not have gone too far, but he also doesn't want to disagree with Mike, hence the conundrum. 

#probably
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:10:50 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 11, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »

Does it really have to be either / or? I mean, Al and Blondie are members of BW's group this summer.
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 11, 2015, 05:04:22 PM »

By would anybody be surprised by this?  He never has any problem saying what is on his mind. It is just unfortunate that the Wilson drug consumption occupies a major portion of his thoughts.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 11, 2015, 05:07:45 PM »

Mike being such a devouted TM advocate, drugs are like mustard on ice cream.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 04:13:30 PM by Dave in KC » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 11, 2015, 05:21:20 PM »

I still love the old records. The high art all the way down to a good deal of the lard. I truly dig Kokomo. I still have affection, believe it or not, for about 50% of SIP tracks. I think the convo continues because it's baffling how some people want to defend the word "probably" when it's indefensible in context, and those defenders keep using roadblocks and diversions to avoid dealing with that truth.  Cam, for example, is backed into a corner of trying to explain why he agrees with the parameters of possibility (however remote) that Landy did not go too far (which "probably" implies) and remains silent to mine and Billy's last questions posed to him. He doesn't want to say that Landy maybe just maybe might not have gone too far, but he also doesn't want to disagree with Mike, hence the conundrum. 

#probably

Do you guys have money riding on this or something? (that's a joke!)
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 11, 2015, 05:28:59 PM »

Well at least Mike and his entourage have achieved their objective. Like when NPP landed, smoke and mirrors people, take the focus of Love and Mercy.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 11, 2015, 05:47:06 PM »

Well at least Mike and his entourage have achieved their objective. Like when NPP landed, smoke and mirrors people, take the focus of Love and Mercy.

Only here on this board. Mike's interview hasn't registered a blip in the real world.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: June 11, 2015, 05:51:23 PM »

MOST of the "real world" hasn't got a clue who he is. Huh

But then...that's the problem.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 11, 2015, 06:08:11 PM »

1. The interviewer uses a quote from a reviewer about the movie regarding bickering during PS, Mike has just said he hasn't seen the movie and can't comment on it so he comments on how untrue the reviewer's characterization (and others) is about how it was with him and Brian during PS.  Not ridiculous at all, on topic and in context.

2. I didn't say anyone here HAD said anything different, I didn't see where anyone mentioned it at all but I haven't read every post.

3. See my post to EoL, please.

1. He doesn't comment on the reviewers perspective because he never denies the bickering. He just goes into a tangent about how he thinks people think he didn't want Pet Sounds released...and where he got that idea is beyond me.

2. Then why even bring it up?

3. Your post to EoL still makes no sense. You didn't need to be at a Landy therapy session to understand that changing your patients will to make you the main beneficiary is overstepping the bounds. Not to mention that Brian was visibly PHYSICALLY and more MENTALLY damaged under Landy's care. Saying "probably" to overstepping the bounds is ridiculous when faced with the obvious.

But defend away, Cam. As usual I was not disappointed by your solid logic and hard hitting points.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 11, 2015, 07:15:56 PM »

1. The interviewer uses a quote from a reviewer about the movie regarding bickering during PS, Mike has just said he hasn't seen the movie and can't comment on it so he comments on how untrue the reviewer's characterization (and others) is about how it was with him and Brian during PS.  Not ridiculous at all, on topic and in context.

2. I didn't say anyone here HAD said anything different, I didn't see where anyone mentioned it at all but I haven't read every post.

3. See my post to EoL, please.

1. He doesn't comment on the reviewers perspective because he never denies the bickering. He just goes into a tangent about how he thinks people think he didn't want Pet Sounds released...and where he got that idea is beyond me.

2. Then why even bring it up?

3. Your post to EoL still makes no sense. You didn't need to be at a Landy therapy session to understand that changing your patients will to make you the main beneficiary is overstepping the bounds. Not to mention that Brian was visibly PHYSICALLY and more MENTALLY damaged under Landy's care. Saying "probably" to overstepping the bounds is ridiculous when faced with the obvious.

But defend away, Cam. As usual I was not disappointed by your solid logic and hard hitting points.

Well let me return the compliment because nothing you have said makes sense to me.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 11, 2015, 07:18:11 PM »

You think Mike Love is never wrong- we get it Cam. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 11, 2015, 07:18:33 PM »

Then, wouldn't that invalidate the 'probably ' part?

Not in my dictionary.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2015, 07:46:41 PM »

You think Mike Love is never wrong- we get it Cam. Roll Eyes

Cam would have such a better experience in the "Vibe Room", doncha think? He could rub shoulders and set up shop with myKe luHv, br00th and all his loyal devotees there and no one would question anything he says. Go ahead, Cam, there's loads of room over there and like the others there you only have to post once every 2 or 3 months!   Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation Transcendental Meditation

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx