gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:51:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love on Love & Mercy: ‘Poor Brian, He’s Had a Rough, Rough Time’  (Read 126441 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 11, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »

I'm just not up to getting into this discussion except to note my private theory that Mike's guardian angel, or guardian something, each month allots him a certain amount of intelligence and sensitivity that he can use just as he wants - but once it's used up, for the rest of the month he's going to be doing his utomost to prove that everything OSD says is correct.  This past month, the quota of intelligence and sensitivity went into singing AIWD (and presumably giving Ambha pep talks during end of semester finals) and after that....well, this interview.

http://www.lesfilmfestival.com/2015-judges-1/

But since the interview arose from Mike being a judge of a film festival....the above link shows the other judges.  Parker Posey. Laverne Cox, the trans lady from Orange Is The New Black. You just have to wonder what Mike's conversations with them are gonna be like.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 11, 2015, 02:03:11 PM »

His recent comments also reek of McCartney calling Lennon's death, "a drag"!
Now I would stop right here.  You have misinterpreted a flimsy newspaper article...  The man himself said so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lopW9DJ-sc

What did I misinterpret?  He said it on TV.  It wasn't a journalist misquoting or without hearing the way he said it.  Do I think he cared about it and was in shock.  Off course, but it was still one of those crass moments that Mike is prone to.  Another reason why Beatles fans have it in for McCartney but love Lennon, even though he could offend people too.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: June 11, 2015, 02:07:06 PM »

What did I misinterpret?  He said it on TV.  It wasn't a journalist misquoting or without hearing the way he said it.  Do I think he cared about it and was in shock.  Off course, but it was still one of those crass moments that Mike is prone to.  Another reason why Beatles fans have it in for McCartney but love Lennon, even though he could offend people too.
Nevermind.  I understand now.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 11, 2015, 02:07:58 PM »

That Mike quote above also isn't, in my opinion, the best quote to use if one is trying to contend that Mike was most concerned about what was happening to Brian medically/mentally. Granted, it's the author of the article's characterization and emphasis, but it implies that Mike is more concerned with Landy stealing Brian away from the Beach Boys than he is concerned with how f-ed up Brian is due to Landy's abuse.

I disagree, Mike is showing that not only was Landy an unethical "psychologist" and "life manager" but he was also a crap creative/business partner deceiving Brian.

Still defending the usage of "probably", Cam? You're ok with the implication that there's still the possibility for a little bit of doubt that Landy's abusive actions were quantifiable as "going too far"?

That maybe, just maybe, Landy didn't go too far? Is that what you are saying?

Defending it? It has a meaning * adverb - very likely ; almost certainly * which Mike used to explain his understanding. Did you forget that Mike defended Brian against Landy's villainy back in the day?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:09:50 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: June 11, 2015, 02:11:54 PM »

Did you forget that Mike defended Brian against Landy's villainy back in the day?

That's the whole point of the outrage...Mike is upset with Brian for whatever reason, and thus is now defending the man he was once so vehemently against!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 11, 2015, 02:18:12 PM »

Now I would stop right here.  You have misinterpreted a flimsy newspaper article...  The man himself said so.

McCartney's "It's a drag" comment was said in anger at the scum-of-the-earth reporters who ambushed him as he was walking to his car and shoved cameras in his face. Like "What do you a**holes expect me to do? Break down and cry for you on camera?".

"Beatles fans have it for McCartney but love Lennon"...No, nearly every Beatles fan knows it was a flippant comment aimed at scumbag journalists. Anyone can watch the clip, and see McCartney is pissed off and doesn't want to talk.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 11, 2015, 02:20:39 PM »

What if Brian responded to further reunion questions this way: "Reunite? Maybe. I want to. Mike's a great guy and I miss writing and singing with him. But he's not really into commitment, you know? He's been married five times."

And not even just once.. what if there was a variation of this theme throughout every interview for years. I'm guessing it'd get old to a LOT of people.

Mike's numerous divorces never had an impact on the band creatively or commercially. It would be irrelevant for them to be brought up constantly. Like it or not, Brian's drug and mental health problems are a big part of the Beach Boys story and while there are times when it's not necessary for Mike to bring them up, there are other times when it's unavoidable not to touch upon them.

That may be the case but I always see the 'Brian did drugs' as a dig. It had a 'set start and a set finish' for me. Its ancient history.

Another comment. If Mike feels Brian is so effected by drugs both illegal, prescribed by Landy and his ongoing regime today, how would he feel if Brians decisions of say, the last 30 years, being looked at? Shall we start with the licencing agreement of 1998?
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: June 11, 2015, 02:21:50 PM »

I'm honestly going to defend Mike here.  I think we are taking this interview way out of proportion.  Remember this video: (go to 2:44) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56ecdZ1-As?  It clearly shows Mike's disdain for Landy and his psycho roadies.  

This new interview did show that Mike was hiding a lot of emotion with his words (except the "hell yeah" because clearly that bothered him a lot).  I believe by saying "probably" he is becoming a bystander.  Mike brought up Evan Landy because clearly he knew more about Brian and Landy's relationship more than Mike himself did.  It's a rather weak attempt to dodge a question that is difficult to answer.

These observations present the following questions:
What of Brian and Landy has Evan seen?
Is there anything his father has kept secret (probably, absolutely if you count the illegal prescribing of pills)?

However, THIS quote, "But, guess what? He also saved his life." bothers me.  To try and remain fair to Mike, I assumed that Mike was present with Brian throughout all his stages of addiction in the '70s and '80s, and at this point wanted Brian to get simply healthy and fit to perform.  Mike is also presenting a reliable truth that cannot be questioned: Dr. Landy forced Brian to lose weight and quit drugs.  These actions, no matter how forced they are, saved his life and stopped him from collapsing from all the drugs and food.  I believe simply Mike is trying to justify Landy's hurtful actions to the family and Brian.

All I can conclude from this is... thinking hurts and this whole situation is mind-boggling.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 11, 2015, 02:22:59 PM »

McCartney's "It's a drag" comment was said in anger at the scum-of-the-earth reporters who ambushed him as he was walking to his car and shoved cameras in his face. Like "What do you a**holes expect me to do? Break down and cry for you on camera?".

"Beatles fans have it for McCartney but love Lennon"...No, nearly every Beatles fan knows it was a flippant comment aimed at scumbag journalists. Anyone can watch the clip, and see McCartney is pissed off and doesn't want to talk.

True. He was better prepared when Harrison passed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9jKLiVjok4
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 11, 2015, 02:25:37 PM »

I plead guilty to occasionally getting visceral about Mike's antics. I'll still say it - anyone who agrees to write the preface for his autobiography is going to get pulled down in the mud with Mike. If you don't care, so be it...but don't say we didn't warn ya, because sure as Christmas, he's going to sharpen the axe and fling some mighty BS when it comes time for the book. Guaranteed.

Some said we should temper our remarks in case Mike is reading this thread. I won't. I kind of wish a journalist on one of his numerous "Dinky Town Gazette" interviews would go Mike Wallace on his ass and ask some tough questions. And follow up for god sakes...don't accept the spin. The revisionist history from this two faced egomaniac.

My self righteousness has to be tempered somewhat, because hey...'he's already lost the fight'. Back in the halcyon days of Kokomo as well as the 90's, Brian was treated as almost a spirit - he's out there, but he's not with us tonight. Another poster mentioned this some posts back; he's very much  with us these days, and has been since Imagination. Common perception is that both bands encouraged each other to go further, to push the envelope in a matter that was never the case in the 80's/90's (with the exception of the acoustic set in '93). C50 saw Brian get a well deserved spotlight from the audience, and he responded...which must have killed his selfish, self absorbed cousin. Since BWPS, TLOS, and now NPP and L&M, he continues to occupy front-and-center in the public consciousness. Is he fully engaged all the time and capable of embracing this scrutiny? No...he's not McCartney. But he does just fine, thank you, with the support of his loving wife and extended musical family.

Meanwhile, we've got this snarling jackal pining for the 'old day's' and fun, fun, fun. No one takes you seriously, Mike Love. No one, except a small, battered fan club, officiated by Cam.

All kidding aside to Cam, the Hollywood/music business system doesn't take Mike seriously. They DON'T. The Ella award was nice, but it's like participation award in the greater scheme of things. No one cares Mike. Develop some perspective. Develop some humilty, and maybe they will.

Seriously doubt it though.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 11, 2015, 02:35:44 PM »

True. He was better prepared when Harrison passed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9jKLiVjok4

True, and he had just spent time with Harrison. It wasn't like George's death came totally out of the blue like Lennon's did. 

McCartney is not a guy who reacts well to surprises, and that's going all the way back to childhood if you know your Beatles history.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »

That Mike quote above also isn't, in my opinion, the best quote to use if one is trying to contend that Mike was most concerned about what was happening to Brian medically/mentally. Granted, it's the author of the article's characterization and emphasis, but it implies that Mike is more concerned with Landy stealing Brian away from the Beach Boys than he is concerned with how f-ed up Brian is due to Landy's abuse.

I disagree, Mike is showing that not only was Landy an unethical "psychologist" and "life manager" but he was also a crap creative/business partner deceiving Brian.

Still defending the usage of "probably", Cam? You're ok with the implication that there's still the possibility for a little bit of doubt that Landy's abusive actions were quantifiable as "going too far"?

That maybe, just maybe, Landy didn't go too far? Is that what you are saying?

Defending it? It has a meaning * adverb - very likely ; almost certainly * which Mike used to explain his understanding. Did you forget that Mike defended Brian against Landy's villainy back in the day?

I did not forget that Mike defended Brian against Landy's villainy back in the day; in fact, I brought that up in another earlier thread, in saying that if Mike had his way, he might have wanted a scene of that in L&M. So I am well aware of it, and I think that's a good stance that he took then.

What I am perplexed by is why the current interview's question of did Landy go too far over the line could possibly be answered as "very likely/almost certainly" (to use those synonyms of "probably" which you mentioned), instead of "absolutely" or "certainly". As I mentioned a moment ago, that leaves the window open for the possibility that maybe there is a slight chance that Landy in fact did not go too far. THAT is what I am getting at; THAT is what people are completely perplexed by, and even typically staunch defenders of Mike in this thread have seemed flabergasted at such a term that leaves the window open for thinking that maybe Landy did not go too far.

Do you feel that for Mike in this current interview (regardless of older Landy-bashing interviews) to use a light term like "probably" is perfectly acceptable and NOT worthy of criticism/questioning?  Because it seems you are not criticizing or questioning the usage of that "probably" word whatsoever.

Again - I am talking about the word choice in THIS interview, NOT an old interview.

It's not hard to just say "yeah, maybe that was too light a term that Mike used; maybe a poor choice of words". Is it really that hard to say that?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:57:22 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: June 11, 2015, 02:54:25 PM »

Just to play devil's advocate...there is a possibility Mike was being facetious when he said 'probably'.

Not saying he was, just throwing that out there in interest of fairness.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 11, 2015, 02:55:34 PM »

Just to play devil's advocate...there is a possibility Mike was being facetious when he said 'probably'.

Not saying he was, just throwing that out there in interest of fairness.

If that's the case... man, what a ridiculous move to be facetious about such a sensitive topic.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: June 11, 2015, 03:07:31 PM »

Of course, the M&B Beach Boys have changed since 2004 - not a lot though since 2014, when I last saw them.

So, in your cosmos, it's acceptable to consider a 90 minute outdoor meat & spuds GH show as broadly equivalent to a three hours plus indoor show that delved deep into the catalog when considering whether or not to attend the latter . 33-odd songs as opposed to nearly twice that number. What a strange world yours is.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2015, 03:08:43 PM »

Did you forget that Mike defended Brian against Landy's villainy back in the day?

That's the whole point of the outrage...Mike is upset with Brian for whatever reason, and thus is now defending the man he was once so vehemently against!

Defending? Mike said Landy was guilty on every count just as he did in the past.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:09:47 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2015, 03:11:15 PM »

Then, wouldn't that invalidate the 'probably ' part?

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 11, 2015, 03:14:10 PM »

As for the Mike interview...meh. It's stuff he's said a million times over. He clearly doesn't want to go down in history as the one guy who hated "Pet Sounds". The reporter misrepresented his character in the film to him, Mike hasn't seen it, so it was a conversation about basically....nothing.

Obviously Mike mentioned that he read Evan Landy's interview and presumably softened his comments about Eugene Landy for a reason. Was it done out of sympathy for Evan? That's how it appears to me. Was it a great PR move at a time when Landy's cretinous behavior is now being discussed by people who wouldn't have known Gene Landy from Tom Landry before they saw the film? Clearly not.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 11, 2015, 03:27:23 PM »

As for the Mike interview...meh. It's stuff he's said a million times over. He clearly doesn't want to go down in history as the one guy who hated "Pet Sounds". The reporter misrepresented his character in the film to him, Mike hasn't seen it, so it was a conversation about basically....nothing.

Nah, he wants to go down in history as the guy who found fault with and questioned the acid alliteration lyric words for the album after Pet Sounds (which he proudly owns up to doing), and who has a couple steadfast followers who oddly can't bring themselves to follow in his footsteps to even remotely question words.

Shouldn't that be what Mike's fans do? Question words that are of questionable appropriateness? His fans (all both of them) should do what 1966 Mike would do. Be like 1966 Mike and question away! If you're a troo fan of Mike, you'll learn by example. Untroo fan alert if you don't.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:28:34 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 11, 2015, 03:29:12 PM »

Then, wouldn't that invalidate the 'probably ' part?

(Tumbleweeds blow by)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 11, 2015, 03:34:51 PM »

*smile Brian sleeps*

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 11, 2015, 03:36:54 PM »

When Mike visits the Lower East Side Film Festival, will he take the time to view and/or comment upon Love and Mercy?

Probably.  Smokin

Funny how such a busy, busy guy who is so engrossed in bringing fun, fun, fun to all the fans doesn't always have time to post online - although he does have time to read a rambling article on the Daily Mail. That he DOES make time for. Will he sense the blowback and attempt to clarify his stance in a future interview (and only succeeding in digging himself deeper into the mud)?

Probably.  Razz

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 11, 2015, 03:42:07 PM »

Just watch the damn movie and listen to NPP Mike! Razz

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: June 11, 2015, 03:42:58 PM »

*smile Brian sleeps*

i took a walk and sat down on the lawn...something something something sprinklers went on...

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 11, 2015, 03:44:14 PM »

Oh come on now...that would take 5, maybe 7 minutes  of his time to hear some tracks. Time best devoted to a scintillating response from Evan Landy in the bloody Mail.

HEY KIDS! It's FUN! It's VIRAL! It's WHAT'S HAPPENING! Twitter goes BANANAS!

#probably
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:46:08 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx