gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:49:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love on Love & Mercy: ‘Poor Brian, He’s Had a Rough, Rough Time’  (Read 126430 times)
relx
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »

Hi Ray,

Mike has mentioned many times that it is Brian's "people" who keep him and Brian apart, which I always take as a veiled swipe at Melinda. While I am sure Mike knows that Melinda is not prescribing Brian his meds personally, he probably thinks it is Melinda's "control" that keeps Brian drugged up.  
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2015, 03:22:52 PM »

As I mentioned before, Mike relishes reminding the world about what a wordsmith he is in using words that the world can understand and relate to.

For a guy like that to carelessly speak with light words such as "probably" which could be taken inflammatory about such a very sensitive topic (Landy nearly drugging Brian to DEATH and causing long-term irreversible damage), it's just crazy, crazy, crazy. Batshit so. Do you not see the irony in such word usage from Mr. Wordsmith Positivity Positively Positive Beach Boys Person?

I dunno, writing lyrics and saying the first thing that comes to your mind in an interview are two very different things.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2015, 03:25:27 PM »

What's perplexing is that it appears Mike isn't living in an insulated bubble or anything. He talks about reading stuff on the internet. He talks about reading THIS very board. Obviously, a person will filter information in countless different ways.

But does he realize he reinforces what those critical of him often say by doing an interview like this?

The whole thing with discussing Evan Landy is what is most telling, in my opinion. It totally reeks of having feelings of jealousy (or annoyance, or inadequacy, or whatever) about the "Love & Mercy" film (and whatever other deep-seeded stuff is going on with his feelings about Brian), then seeking out a dissenting voice about the film to present as an "alternate" viewpoint. I'm just astounded that the person he went with was Evan Landy. Is this really a "enemy of my enemy is my friend" sort of thing? Even with Landy's son?

It reads very similar to the "assuming it doesn't have autotune, I'm sure it'll be great" comment about Al and Brian's "The Right Time" track. There's a standing grudge or whatever with Brian and Al, so the response is to *seek out* critical commentary and use that as a sort of passive aggressive weapon.

Seriously, Mike's interviews continue to give me bad feelings about his upcoming book. I strongly suggest Brian wait until *after* Mike's book comes out, because I sense there's going to be a need for some clarifications, rebuttals, etc.

Mike *still* is chalking up Brian's deal disproportionately to his drug use. And again, just my opinion, but his words no longer seem to feel like true sympathy or empathy for Brian. Rather, they read much more like a weird sort of selfish, patronizing pity towards Brian.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2015, 03:26:57 PM »

filled-

Or, he could be referring to ONLY those who are biased towards Mike, not specifically referring to anyone who defends Mike (as I have in the past). Or is the inherent bias your internet diagnosis?
Billy - the most difficult part of posting on this forum, is that posters are expected to "pick a side."

You absolutely have looked with an open mind. I agree.  Within CD's post is the "K" word, with foregone conclusions.  It is aggressive.

The use of that "B" word, I think, is also really disrespectul and by the same token, I don't expect that posters use the "K" word, without being ready to be on the attack. If posters expect respect, they might refrain from using both terms, as they are equally offensive.  

Yes, those terms are medical "terms of art." CD is not the arbiter of sanity or insanity without training.  

Hypothetically speaking (and I know you just *love* hypotheticals!), if there were several medical doctors who were to actually issue such a diagnosis, would you believe it, or would you continue to deny it? I would think that your logic would dictate that it need be only a diagnosis issued by a professional for it to be true.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2015, 03:27:17 PM »

Thanks Ray for explaining BW's support system. It has certainly worked with BWPS, TLOS, and NPP being released by BW.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2015, 03:29:53 PM »

It could be that with nearly 30 years after the dust has settled, Mike just doesn't get as worked up about the Landy situation as he once did. He does seem to have emotionally detached himself from the whole thing somewhat, going by his comments in the interview.

Since Mike and Brian don't have, it seems, any relationship these days, he probably doesn't care that much anymore about stuff that happened to Brian thirty years ago. Also, he still thinks Brian is controlled and medicated, so he probably thinks what Melinda is doing to Brian today is not much different than what Landy did. In his mind, they are all controlling Brian with drugs.
Well except for the fact that it is not Melinda who prescribes Brian's medication but rather is his team of doctors.  Real ones. So , if this were the case , that thought process would be convoluted, at best.
[/quote ]

How hard would it be for Mike to just sit down with Melinda and ask her about Brian's condition and the meds thar he is prescribed and the reasons why they are prescribed? I get it. He hates Melinda. But wouldn't it be worth his while to set that aside and actually try to learn something about his cousin's condition?

Amy, Mike being a TM advocate might also be an advocate of naturopathic medicine, which would make any type of mainstream  medical treatment anathema to him.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2015, 03:30:22 PM »

I'm waiting for someone to mock up a "Movie Poster" for the film adaptation of Mike's book.  3D

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2015, 03:32:36 PM »

As I mentioned before, Mike relishes reminding the world about what a wordsmith he is in using words that the world can understand and relate to.

For a guy like that to carelessly speak with light words such as "probably" which could be taken inflammatory about such a very sensitive topic (Landy nearly drugging Brian to DEATH and causing long-term irreversible damage), it's just crazy, crazy, crazy. Batshit so. Do you not see the irony in such word usage from Mr. Wordsmith Positivity Positively Positive Beach Boys Person?

I dunno, writing lyrics and saying the first thing that comes to your mind in an interview are two very different things.

True. But Mike also prided himself on writing lyrics quickly and on the spot, first-thing-that-came-to-his-mind-style, so he should be a master wizard of quick and appropriate the English language by now, after five decades of on-the-spot wordsmithology. Mike is the guy who was SO opposed to the wrong words being used in songs that could possibly be taken the wrong way by the listener, and now he carelessly uses this kind of talk in such a sensitive conversation? I know it's just an interview, but gimme a break. It's ridic.  

Acid Alliteration? How about Dumbass Alliteration?

Maybe Mike needs someone else to come to him and bug him about his usage of interview words the way he bugged lyricists about their "inappropriate" word usage.

Isn't it Time for Mike to realize that using words like "probably" is going pretty soft on Landy, with the implication that perhaps, maybe just maybe, the awful things that Landy did were not in fact going too far? That's a sick thing for one's careless word usage to allow for interpretation; "probably" indicates a possible level of doubt and uncertainty that Landy went too far... right? Is that untrue to say, Mike's Beard?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 03:46:04 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2015, 03:33:31 PM »

"The interesting thing to read is on Evan Landy. He is Landy’s son and spent years with Brian in a very intimate way. He has a whole different perspective of Landy and his motivation. Was he [Dr. Landy] overreaching? Probably. Did he cost a lot of money? Hell yeah. Did he want to be producer and the writer and stuff with Brian? Yes, he did. Did he go beyond the bounds of therapy? Probably. But, guess what? He also saved his life. So to read Evan Landy’s dissertation on it is very, very interesting because you get an intimate look at someone who was with Brian everyday for a few years. So it’s a whole different story that came out on Love and Mercy."

He is actually sympathetic to Landy, and only seems upset that he cost a lot of money. If anyone doubts that Mike Love is a scumbag, just show them this quote.

I'd like to read what Evan has to say, and I think Mike sounds pretty sharp here. The Mike version of history is just as compelling to me as the Melinda version. Both valuable. both valid.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2015, 03:40:59 PM »

"The interesting thing to read is on Evan Landy. He is Landy’s son and spent years with Brian in a very intimate way. He has a whole different perspective of Landy and his motivation. Was he [Dr. Landy] overreaching? Probably. Did he cost a lot of money? Hell yeah. Did he want to be producer and the writer and stuff with Brian? Yes, he did. Did he go beyond the bounds of therapy? Probably. But, guess what? He also saved his life. So to read Evan Landy’s dissertation on it is very, very interesting because you get an intimate look at someone who was with Brian everyday for a few years. So it’s a whole different story that came out on Love and Mercy."

He is actually sympathetic to Landy, and only seems upset that he cost a lot of money. If anyone doubts that Mike Love is a scumbag, just show them this quote.

I'd like to read what Evan has to say, and I think Mike sounds pretty sharp here. The Mike version of history is just as compelling to me as the Melinda version. Both valuable. both valid.

here ya go, knock yourself out:  http://tinyurl.com/nbclpnb

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2015, 03:46:29 PM »

I can't believe Mike is siding with that Landy scumbag. Doesn't he love his cousin Brian???

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2015, 03:49:24 PM »

I can't believe Mike is siding with that Landy scumbag. Doesn't he love his cousin Brian???

Landy Ahoy.

"I've denied being overbearing to Brian for fifty years... any time soon, precious groupies should appear..."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 04:07:40 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2015, 03:55:04 PM »

True. But Mike also prided himself on writing lyrics quickly and on the spot, first-thing-that-came-to-his-mind-style, so he should be a master wizard of quick and appropriate the English language by now, after five decades of on-the-spot wordsmithology. Mike is the guy who was SO opposed to the wrong words being used in songs that could possibly be taken the wrong way by the listener, and now he carelessly uses this kind of talk in such a sensitive conversation? I know it's just an interview, but gimme a break. It's ridic.  

Acid Alliteration? How about Dumbass Alliteration?

Maybe Mike needs someone else to come to him and bug him about his usage of interview words the way he bugged lyricists about their "inappropriate" word usage.

Isn't it Time for Mike to realize that using words like "probably" is going pretty soft on Landy, with the implication that perhaps, maybe just maybe, the awful things that Landy did were not in fact going too far? That's a sick thing for one's careless word usage to allow for interpretation; "probably" indicates a possible level of doubt and uncertainty that Landy went too far... right? Is that untrue to say, Mike's Beard?

As I said before, Mike is taking a rather soft stance on Landy in the interview. That he doesn't seem to view Landy with outright hate and scorn these days is rather puzzling.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »

Here are some quotes from Evan, about his perspective, a perspective Mike apparently thinks is worth reading about:

"I do believe that his [Landy's] intention was always to help Brian and that he had a true love for Brian."
"I don't think he [Landy] had a malicious intent against Brian, I don't think anyone could. Brian was such a sweet guy."

So the overmedicating, the change of beneficiary in Brian's will, the total control over who Brian got to see, the control over Brian's creative output, the blocked phone calls, etc etc was done out of true love for Brian? After all of that apparently Mike still thinks Evan's perspective is "interesting" because it's a whole other story than Love and Mercy. Yeah, Mike sounds really sharp here Roll Eyes

And I wish Mike throwing around a bunch of "probably"s made his version of history just as compelling as Melinda's perspective of events, because then I'd probably buy his future documentary out of the bargain bin at Wal-Mart.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 03:58:36 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2015, 03:59:15 PM »

JUNKSTAR!!

You have been missed, also........

You need to re-launch the Male Ego Board.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2015, 04:03:21 PM »

Here are some quotes from Evan, about his perspective, a perspective Mike apparently thinks is worth reading about:

"I do believe that his [Landy's] intention was always to help Brian and that he had a true love for Brian."
"I don't think he [Landy] had a malicious intent against Brian, I don't think anyone could. Brian was such a sweet guy."

So the overmedicating, the change of beneficiary in Brian's will, the total control over who Brian got to see, the control over Brian's creative output, the blocked phone calls, etc etc was done out of true love for Brian? After all of that apparently Mike still thinks Evan's perspective is "interesting" because it's a whole other story than Love and Mercy. Yeah, Mike sounds really sharp here Roll Eyes

And I wish Mike throwing around a bunch of "probably"s made his version of history just as compelling as Melinda's perspective of events, because then I'd probably buy his future documentary out of the bargain bin at Wal-Mart.

The certainties that Mike knows: Landy "hell yeah" charged too much, and Landy "yes", not "probably" wanted to write songs with Brian. I know Mike loves Brian, I do not honestly doubt that, but such verbage (concurrent with using "probably" regarding Landy going too far) gives the impression that Mike's eyes perk up at shock and dismay when somebody other than Mike Love writes with Brian or spends Mike's (and the group's) money. Those two subjects relative to the other questions asked are to be prioritized as certainties, but not the almost drugging of Brian to death. Huh?

How he does not realize this interpretation could be garnered from his words boggles my mind to no end. Ugh. I don't know how anyone can sympathize with somebody who is infamous for complaining over word usage, who in turn uses words like these. I don't care if we are talking about lyrics vs. interview words; it's just batty.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 04:08:23 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2015, 04:12:20 PM »

The Mike version of history is just as compelling to me as the Melinda version. Both valuable. both valid.

As far as I know, Mike has never lived with or been married to Brian Wilson. Melinda has.

And the movie isn't about the Beach Boys.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2015, 04:33:37 PM »

Dennis wore a t-shirt during some of the BB's 1979 shows that read PITY ABOUT MIKE LOVE. Fairly apropos  at this point.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2015, 04:38:03 PM »

I wonder if Bruce is cool with all this as he has to work with the man? I think so.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2015, 04:39:52 PM »

Dennis wore a t-shirt during some of the BB's 1979 shows that read PITY ABOUT MIKE LOVE. Fairly apropos  at this point.

Did he really? Photographic evidence would be awesome. Wonder if it was worn concurrently with Al's Keeping it Clean With Al Jardine shirt.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2015, 04:52:30 PM »

I think a few things reading Mike’s interview.

1) I think the BRI has no management (e.g. Yoko shows up for Meat Free Monday PR launches. McCartney walks the red carpet at Harrison docs. THAT brand is alive and well. Money flows. Happiness runs.)

2) Nothing in past and/or future dramatic portrayals of The BB’s will ever show a fairer presentation of Mike Love’s worries regarding the BRAND in 1966/67 than Love & Mercy. He was portrayed fairly.

3) For as much as he loves his cousin, Mike never seemed to get around to listen to BWPS, yet used every interviewer’s question regarding the set to expound on Brian’s past (at that point his 20-plus year-old in the past street drug abuse and off the rails unchecked mental health issues.) History is repeating itself. Let’s hope a spiteful unwarranted lawsuit doesn’t follow, as well. This thing is rounding third and he's on the wrong side of history. HIS "managers and handlers" are advising him (and by extension, his legacy) in a pitiful and needless manner. He will be remembered (if at all) by future generations as a HUN and he doesn't need to be.

4) (Somewhat unrelated, but then again, NOT) I see Jeff Foskett singing “I heard the word, wonderful thing, a children’s song” (from a song I believe Mike did NOT want included on C50) on YouTube with Mike & The Mechanics in Manchester and feel like I’ve been had. 
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2015, 05:30:56 PM »

4) (Somewhat unrelated, but then again, NOT) I see Jeff Foskett singing “I heard the word, wonderful thing, a children’s song” (from a song I believe Mike did NOT want included on C50) on YouTube with Mike & The Mechanics in Manchester and feel like I’ve been had. 

Howie, Scott Totten addressed this in the Mike & Bruce Tour 2015 thread (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19222.msg520057.html#msg520057)

Well let history repeat itself - I need to correct something that Ang keeps saying over and over.

Mike Love did NOT refuse to do Surf's Up on the C50 tour.  No one asked to perform that song.

I, however, asked the band to play it when we had some time in Oslo.

Your source "who should know" is either misinformed, or....Huh?

Scott

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2015, 06:09:13 PM »

Q: "Are there any new developments your fans would like to know about?"

A: "We have all kinds of plans: a new book, a tour titled “50 Years of Good Vibrations,” re-records of songs (hopefully with other artists) that we’re contemplating, and I’ve stockpiled a bunch of recordings myself that I hope to come out with probably next year. "

Brian's reaction to this:
https://www.youtube.com/v/G-K-n5op9nI?start=20&end=22&version=3
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2015, 06:10:35 PM »

The narrative that Mike Love wanted for the BBs history was like this:

After 1960s excesses, BW was a shattered shell of himself that never regained his form. Instead from the 1980s on, Mike Love was the leader of the BBs with BW in semi-retirement with Dr. Landy. I think Mike wanted BW to slowly fade away with Dr. Landy as the BBs kept touring forever.

Instead, BW was freed from Landy and again challenging Mike to take the BBs band and legacy back in the 1990s. This culminated in his solo tours  and deep cuts showing how far M&B had fallen from the glory years of the 1960s. Mike is honestly pissed that BW is highly productive in the 21st century and challenging his hold on the band and legacy.

BW has taken back the music and legacy from Mike's touring band in the eyes of serious music fans. This fact has driven Mike crazy, hence the horrible interviews where Mike digs up dirt from 30 plus years ago.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2015, 06:16:09 PM »

The narrative that Mike Love wanted for the BBs history was like this:

After 1960s excesses, BW was a shattered shell of himself that never regained his form. Instead from the 1980s on, Mike Love was the leader of the BBs with BW in semi-retirement with Dr. Landy. I think Mike wanted BW to slowly fade away with Dr. Landy as the BBs kept touring forever.

Instead, BW was freed from Landy and again challenging Mike to take the BBs band and legacy back in the 1990s. This culminated in his solo tours  and deep cuts showing how far M&B had fallen from the glory years of the 1960s. Mike is honestly pissed that BW is highly productive in the 21st century and challenging his hold on the band and legacy.

BW has taken back the music and legacy from Mike's touring band in the eyes of serious music fans. This fact has driven Mike crazy, hence the horrible interviews where Mike digs up dirt from 30 plus years ago.

Amen, Bro.   w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx