gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:05:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love on Love & Mercy: ‘Poor Brian, He’s Had a Rough, Rough Time’  (Read 126417 times)
nakostopoulos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 01:59:03 PM »

Amazing that a man who practices Transcendental Meditation can so stunningly lack in self-awareness.

And if his opinions are this tone deaf having never seen the film, God help us all when he does.

I'm calling it: the only thing I feel Mike Love has ever given the world is the hook to "Good Vibrations"; I could even take Asher's lyrics, but then I remembered Love's chorus is wonderful.

Other than that--ye gods and little fishes, the man's just not worth the aggravation.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 02:00:10 PM »

I gotta admit...I'm very disappointed to read this.

I am not, it's just yet another confirmation of something we've known for decades.

I guess so. I just like to try to hope for the best in people, but...yeah. There are no words.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 02:00:39 PM »

Mike was openly against Landy back in thr day, it's hard to think he changed his mind now, after living through it. I don't think he's sympathetic towards Landy. He says he saved Brian's life, which is what -to some degree- some people over here also think.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:03:24 PM by Autotune » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2015, 02:00:47 PM »

What a bitter f*ckwit.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up YES!! and he's also OUR favorite shitweasel, too, or uh, BOTH! Yes, that's the ticket! And how about that pugnacious arrogance he displays, huh?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2015, 02:00:51 PM »

"However, in the meantime I’m hoping to come up with a documentary that really shows my point of view."

Between the above statement and his comments on Landy, I don't even know where to begin. It's almost as if he's throwing this sh!t out there just to see this board react and sitting back watching the pages grow.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »

Amazing that a man who practices Transcendental Meditation can so stunningly lack in self-awareness.

Truer words never spoken.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »

"However, in the meantime I’m hoping to come up with a documentary that really shows my point of view."

I believe you have, Mr. Love, about 15 years ago.  It was called "The Beach Boys - An American Family."
relx
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2015, 02:07:10 PM »

Mike was openly against Landy back in thr day, it's hard to think he changed his mind now, after living through it.

It seems that it was the cost of Landy that most upsets him.

It is hard to read this and have any other interpretation other than he doesn't think Landy was so bad. The whole Evan Landy thing is Mike saying that there is another perspective, one in which Landy was a doctor who just overreached a little, but helped Brian. Mike is basically trashing the entire POV of Love and Mercy--even though he hasn't seen it--by balancing what he knows is the anti-Landy view of the film with Evan Landy's opposite perspective.  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:08:27 PM by relx » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2015, 02:07:18 PM »

I find it pretty humorous that he thinks anyone would be interested in seeing a movie about him. And he sure has a lot of thoughts about LOVE & MERCY for someone who hasn't seen it yet.

Maybe I'm being unfair, I don't know. But he always seems so uptight. He just needs to hang on, but I think he might lose the fight.

Is this some kind of drug post?  police
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2015, 02:08:12 PM »

Boy this thread would've been real dull if he just said "No, I haven't seen it yet but I'm looking forward to it... it might dredge up some painful memories, but I'm proud of my cousin and what he's managed to achieve despite all the challenges he's had to face." and then just moved on. It wouldn't be Mike Love then, tho.... would it. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2015, 02:09:47 PM »

Mike was openly against Landy back in thr day, it's hard to think he changed his mind now, after living through it.

I have to say, that despite the admittedly crass and dumbass comment about the cost, I don't think that this is the case.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2015, 02:10:30 PM »

However, in the meantime I’m hoping to come up with a documentary that really shows my point of view.

PLEASE let this happen. Since we obviously didn't get enough of Mike's point of view from his Wink Martindale interview I truly think a Ken Burns style series on the trials and tribulations of Mike Love would really help close up some loose ends...such as his biggest regret in his life - still waiting on an answer for that one.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2015, 02:12:04 PM »

"The interesting thing to read is on Evan Landy. He is Landy’s son and spent years with Brian in a very intimate way. He has a whole different perspective of Landy and his motivation. Was he [Dr. Landy] overreaching? Probably. Did he cost a lot of money? Hell yeah. Did he want to be producer and the writer and stuff with Brian? Yes, he did. Did he go beyond the bounds of therapy? Probably. But, guess what? He also saved his life. So to read Evan Landy’s dissertation on it is very, very interesting because you get an intimate look at someone who was with Brian everyday for a few years. So it’s a whole different story that came out on Love and Mercy."

He is actually sympathetic to Landy, and only seems upset that he cost a lot of money. If anyone doubts that Mike Love is a scumbag, just show them this quote.

I have been very critical of Mike on many occasions, though I'm not sure he is being sympathetic to Gene Landy here, but that he agrees that he saved Brian's life at one point (as Brian himself agrees).

I'm not sure what Mike's getting at with the Evan Landy thing though. I agree that it's interesting to read another person's perspective (even if it's a warped one) just out of curiosity, but I'm uncertain as to why Mike is bringing up Evan's interview; is Mike implying there is a valid point/stance or two in Evan's interview? If so, what would that possibly be? It's bizarre for Mike to mention it, that's for sure.

Considering that I've read that 1980s Mike wanted to punch out Landy because he was so furious at what Landy was doing to Brian, I am baffled, unless he solely wants to point out here that Landy should be recognized for having saved Brian's life (a point of view I can understand to a point), but he seems to be going unusually soft on Landy otherwise in the article.

Mike said he wanted to kill Landy!! Everyone knows that Landy saved Brian's life but everyone also knows what he did afterwards as well. For Mike to say that Landy 'probably' went beyond the bounds of his therapy is, as you say, a very soft stance for him to take. Maybe he's simply not interested in seeing a dark part of Brian's life made into a movie?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 02:32:58 PM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2015, 02:17:03 PM »

Mike doesn't care when it comes to past actions that could have hurt people or BW having hard times with mental illness. Mike is a self obsessed assclown at this point.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2015, 02:22:05 PM »

Holy mackerel. Mike seldom disappoints these days, does he?
relx
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2015, 02:22:30 PM »

I have to say, that despite the admittedly crass and dumbass comment about the cost, I don't think that this is the case.

I'm just going by his comments in the article. The cost thing got the most passionate response--"hell, yeah."

It's also possible that Mike "liked" Brian more in the 1980s than he does now, and because of the deterioration in their relationship over the past thirty years, feels less anger towards Landy. That would help explain the increasingly negative and out of touch comments he has made about Brian in the past few years. Mike is probably hurt that they don't have the relationship they once did. He even says they were childhood buddies in the article, implying that they are not buddies now. Unfortunately, he blames Brian's "people" for their estrangement, and takes no personal responsibility himself for it.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2015, 02:23:30 PM »

I love that he can't name favorite films, just films that use The Beach Boys on the soundtrack... and then wraps up by mentioning "Fun, Fun, Fun." Clearly this is the kind of guy you get to help judge your film festival. What a fascinating turn of events, I wonder how that happened?

Clearly, they confused him with some other Mike Love. I mean, the Lower East Side? Film festival? Mike Love?

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2015, 02:25:39 PM »

Mike doesn't care when it comes to past actions that could have hurt people or BW having hard times with mental illness.  

One would almost tend to believe this is true. Though I think he knows it deep inside, but can't bring himself to admit it.

I think the denial of his role in that part of the equation is so deeply engrained, that it's the only thing that holds him together. Only a film like this where the overbearing guilt-trip stuff is shown very clearly for the world to see (in what will eventually be a fairly widely seen film) might possibly lead to a crack or two in the denial at some point. I think at some point, he has to fess up to the fact that he may have gone too far with being overbearing. The drug use angle won't work forever, and some interviewer will at some point ask for further explanation of what Mike terms as "stuff".
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2015, 02:26:22 PM »

I gotta admit...I'm very disappointed to read this.
I am not, it's just yet another confirmation of something we've known for decades.
I guess so. I just like to try to hope for the best in people, but...yeah. There are no words.
Even Brian gave "the devil (Landy) his due." At a point he may have saved his life, as he padded his payroll. It appears that even Brian has forgiven this scoundrel, only testimony to his amazing capacity to forgive (not forget) Landy.  

Maybe Mike should first, get a chance to see AND digest the film.  I saw it three days ago, and it STILL seems pretty overwhelming, and I didn't live (on tour) as the band did.   A court gave Landy control.  Melinda had to get "the goods" on Landy, to get it reversed.

The group is just coming back from a tour and they didn't have the release of the film in the UK yet. Mike said that the comments (dissertation) was "interesting." As well as saying it is "a whole different story that came out in Love and Mercy."

So we get the automatic snark response.  Re-read his answer.

But, what do we expect the son of Landy to say?  Of course he will try to defend his old man...

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2015, 02:28:17 PM »

He even says they were childhood buddies in the article, implying that they are not buddies now. Unfortunately, he blames Brian's "people" for their estrangement, and takes no personal responsibility himself for it.

Truth.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2015, 02:32:07 PM »

"The interesting thing to read is on Evan Landy. He is Landy’s son and spent years with Brian in a very intimate way. He has a whole different perspective of Landy and his motivation. Was he [Dr. Landy] overreaching? Probably. Did he cost a lot of money? Hell yeah. Did he want to be producer and the writer and stuff with Brian? Yes, he did. Did he go beyond the bounds of therapy? Probably. But, guess what? He also saved his life. So to read Evan Landy’s dissertation on it is very, very interesting because you get an intimate look at someone who was with Brian everyday for a few years. So it’s a whole different story that came out on Love and Mercy."

He is actually sympathetic to Landy, and only seems upset that he cost a lot of money. If anyone doubts that Mike Love is a scumbag, just show them this quote.

I have been very critical of Mike on many occasions, though I'm not sure he is being sympathetic to Gene Landy here, but that he agrees that he saved Brian's life at one point (as Brian himself agrees).

I'm not sure what Mike's getting at with the Evan Landy thing though. I agree that it's interesting to read another person's perspective (even if it's a warped one) just out of curiosity, but I'm uncertain as to why Mike is bringing up Evan's interview; is Mike implying there is a valid point/stance or two in Evan's interview? If so, what would that possibly be? It's bizarre for Mike to mention it, that's for sure.

Considering that I've read that 1980s Mike wanted to punch out Landy because he was so furious at what Landy was doing to Brian, I am baffled, unless he solely wants to point out here that Landy should be recognized for having saved Brian's life (a point of view I can understand to a point), but he seems to be going unusually soft on Landy otherwise in the article.

Honestly, it could be Mike's way of subtly discrediting that aspect of the movie. There is no doubt Mike still knows what a jackass Landy was.

"Was he overreaching? Probably."
"Did he go beyond the bounds of therapy? Probably."

Overmedicating to the point of near death (btw, didn't Mike just bitch about Brian's current use of prescription drugs? We're going with a "probably" with Landy but when Brian takes them now he is "controlled" JEESH MIKE), taking total control of finances, personal life, business life, blocking phonecalls, the list goes ON AND ON. But Eugene only "probably" went beyond the bounds of therapy? And then Mike uses Evan's Daily Mail trash perspective as a means to support this ridiculous viewpoint. Unbelievable.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2015, 02:36:12 PM »

(btw, didn't Mike just bitch about Brian's current use of prescription drugs? We're going with a "probably" with Landy but when Brian takes them now he is "controlled" JEESH MIKE),

Very good point, and that bothers me.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2015, 02:37:04 PM »

Honestly, it could be Mike's way of subtly discrediting that aspect of the movie. There is no doubt Mike still knows what a jackass Landy was.

"Was he overreaching? Probably."
"Did he go beyond the bounds of therapy? Probably."

Overmedicating to the point of near death (btw, didn't Mike just bitch about Brian's current use of prescription drugs? We're going with a "probably" with Landy but when Brian takes them now he is "controlled" JEESH MIKE), taking total control of finances, personal life, business life, blocking phonecalls, the list goes ON AND ON. But Eugene only "probably" went beyond the bounds of therapy? And then Mike uses Evan's Daily Mail trash perspective as a means to support this ridiculous viewpoint. Unbelievable.

All very good points, and the wording he uses in the article just bugs me more the futher I think about it. I think Mike is probably batshit crazy insane, and probably the most mentally ill member of the band, past or present. Sorry, but there... I said it. I think a form of mental illness can be reflected in how a person is emotionally crippled to a point where they cannot make parts of their brain work that cause them to feel things or have any realization of their own actions. I quantify that as a form of mental illness.

Isn't Mike supposed to be the master of using relatable words?). It is really unbelievable the more one thinks about it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 03:03:16 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2015, 02:39:53 PM »

I really, honestly can't tell whether Mike is being sarcastic when he refers to Brian's "rough, rough time." I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and deciding that he feels bad for Brian.

However, once again Mike is indicating that he believes that "drugs and stuff" are entirely to blame for Brian's problems. There is no acknowledgement of mental illness-- no awareness or attempt to understand Brian's illness at all, at least not in public. The suggestion that drugs are the sole reason for Brian's decline puts the blame on Brian for making the decision to take drugs, as opposed to putting some of the blame of chemical imbalances in Brian's brain (in which case, you would think Mike would be a lot more sympathetic). Maybe it's a generational thing, but he just doesn't seem to want to deal with the idea that Brian's problems went beyond drugs. It's almost like, if Brian was in a wheelchair and Mike said, "The guy just doesn't want to walk. It's too bad, isn't it?"

I don't understand why he said that about Landy. I was sure I read an interview with him where he indicated that he hated Landy for what he did to Brian. Talk about "drugs and stuff"! Maybe Landy saved Brian's life, but then he nearly killed him after that-- or at least nearly fried his brain!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2015, 02:40:14 PM »

Agreed CD. Mike is really out there these days from his jealousy of BW.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx