gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:11:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl's last performance - God Only Knows  (Read 7535 times)
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2015, 05:26:25 AM »

I am hoping someone may be able to help me.  I read an old topic, from 2007 I believe, regarding Carl's last live performance.  Someone posted a link to an audio file from that show, or one of Carl's last shows in late August 1997, of God Only Knows.  Of course, that download link is no longer available.  Can someone help me locate that audio clip?  I have a recording of God Only Knows from the August 2 show in Concord.  I'm trying to find something after that, later in the month.  Thanks!
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 10:54:15 AM »

I am hoping someone may be able to help me.  I read an old topic, from 2007 I believe, regarding Carl's last live performance.  Someone posted a link to an audio file from that show, or one of Carl's last shows in late August 1997, of God Only Knows.  Of course, that download link is no longer available.  Can someone help me locate that audio clip?  I have a recording of God Only Knows from the August 2 show in Concord.  I'm trying to find something after that, later in the month.  Thanks!

Would love to hear (experience) that one too.  The great Carl Wilson – how I wish he was still with us today.  He would only be 68, a mere whippersnapper compared to his brothers and all but one bandmate.  Can you imagine what C50 would have been like with Carl Wilson there?
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 01:24:01 PM »

Would love to hear (experience) that one too.  The great Carl Wilson – how I wish he was still with us today.  He would only be 68, a mere whippersnapper compared to his brothers and all but one bandmate.  Can you imagine what C50 would have been like with Carl Wilson there?

I know the recording exists because it was posted on here at one time.  Would love to find someone who has it.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 11:11:28 PM »

Carl was so missed on C50. I still find it hard to accept anyone else singing the songs he sang on tour. I saw a lot of BB's shows in the 80's/90's, and Carl was always the highlight. Al's moments in the spotlight were nice, too.
brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 01:15:00 AM »

http://andrewhickeywriter.tumblr.com/post/70675455024/today-would-have-been-carl-wilsons-birthday-this

This might be the one you're looking for.
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 03:14:17 AM »

Thanks!  This sounds like the one from Concord, CA on August 2, which I already have.  I believe there is one from near the end of August that was discussed and posted in these forums back around 2007. 

Carl still sounded amazing, though.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 06:05:11 AM »

Amazing stuff. Even for '97 and his illness at that time, Carls vox sound wonderful.

Thanks for sharing that link. Cool Cool
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 11:21:58 AM »

Even after all these years, this never fails to amaze me.  Carl was so sick, but he still sang as beautifully as ever.  He is greatly missed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 02:06:14 PM »

Even after all these years, this never fails to amaze me.  Carl was so sick, but he still sang as beautifully as ever.  He is greatly missed.
Amen.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 03:24:18 PM »

Wow.  It is truly amazing that these wonderful vocals were coming from a man who was very sick a the time - you would never know just listening to the track.  I can't even imagine how he was still able to sing so sweetly after all he was going through at the time.  He never lost that sweet angelic voice and he truly gave 110% until the very end. 
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 04:19:49 PM »

Did Carl or Al ever sound off key?  Those guys have been the two most consistently great singers in the band over the years.

Some of the live vocals from the others have been pretty poor at times. Even right to the end Carl was 'The Voice'.
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 04:24:10 PM »

Did Carl or Al ever sound off key?  Those guys have been the two most consistently great singers in the band over the years.

Some of the live vocals from the others have been pretty poor at times. Even right to the end Carl was 'The Voice'.

I think Al sounds as good in 2015 as he did in 1965.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 04:29:42 PM »

If you listen to enough live audio and video recordings, pretty much all of them had occasional off times. I would say Al and Carl the least (and I guess Bruce to the degree he's audible), though.

If you watch something kind of dreadful like the Australia 1978 video, Al is kind of the only guy holding the whole thing together vocally. Jon Stebbins' "The Real Beach Boy" points this out as well.

But yeah, Carl sounded great even in late 1997. There was a brief local TV news report posted awhile back that had little bits of Carl from that 1997 tour as well, and he sounded great there too.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 04:36:04 PM »

I remember Al sounding hoarse at FarmAid around the mid 80s doing Rock n Roll To The Rescue but that was down to a sore throat.  He still kicked ass though!
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 05:14:14 PM »

If you listen to enough live audio and video recordings, pretty much all of them had occasional off times. I would say Al and Carl the least (and I guess Bruce to the degree he's audible), though.

If you watch something kind of dreadful like the Australia 1978 video, Al is kind of the only guy holding the whole thing together vocally. Jon Stebbins' "The Real Beach Boy" points this out as well.

But yeah, Carl sounded great even in late 1997. There was a brief local TV news report posted awhile back that had little bits of Carl from that 1997 tour as well, and he sounded great there too.

That clip is on youtube.  It's from the June 21st show in Boston.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 05:39:27 PM »

Carl was so missed on C50. I still find it hard to accept anyone else singing the songs he sang on tour. I saw a lot of BB's shows in the 80's/90's, and Carl was always the highlight. Al's moments in the spotlight were nice, too.

The hardest thing for ANYONE to do is to have to sing Carl's part(s) in ANY Beach Boys' songs...even the ones where he only sang backup and harmony parts in the intricate arrangements.  NOBODY can do it.  He's just that much greater than ANY fill-in.  (Sorry Brian...Jeff...everybody else)

Carl is SO missed every single day.  There is one section in Daybreak Over the Ocean where someone almost gets 'it'.  I did a double take when I heard it 'for the first time' the other day.  Never noticed it before.

Studio trickery?

It's just not quite the same or as good without him...regardless.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:40:39 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 05:45:01 PM »

The hardest thing for ANYONE to do is to have to sing Carl's part(s) in ANY Beach Boys' songs...even the ones where he only sang backup and harmony parts in the intricate arrangements.  NOBODY can do it.  He's just that much greater than ANY fill-in.  (Sorry Brian...Jeff...everybody else)

Carl is SO missed every single day.  There is one section in Daybreak Over the Ocean where someone almost gets 'it'.  I did a double take when I heard it 'for the first time' the other day.  Never noticed it before.

Studio trickery?

That was Mike's son Christian who can sound eerily close to Carl.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 05:48:08 PM »

Then somebody needs to PAY and utilize him because it's a key MISSING ingredient.  It'd be a real difference maker.  Live AND in the studio.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 06:09:16 PM »

There's a video on YouTube of Christian singing God Only Knows.  While it's not Carl, he sounded really, really good.

Studio trickery?

That was Mike's son Christian who can sound eerily close to Carl.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 02:41:21 PM »

Though beautiful, as his performances of this song always were, I got a lump in my throat when I listened.  The ovation/cheers he received at the end were uplifting, however.  I don't know if the majority of the audience knew the extent of Carl's illness, but they sounded like they wanted him to know how much they loved and appreciated him.  I know Carl always appreciated the audience.

The YouTube video of that Boston performance in the summer of '97 was both heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.  If I recall correctly, Carl was singing "I Can Hear Music" in that short clip.  The video quality wasn't great, but the man looked pretty darned good.  And, of course, that voice was as beautiful and strong as ever.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 04:56:09 PM »

I know a number of people feel that Christian Love could sound a lot like Carl. I've never heard it to any great extend. I do think, as heard in his bits on "Daybreak....", that he does have a remarkably similar tone in certain ranges. But it's almost like the tone sounds like Carl on occasion, but the actual voice itself doesn't.

Still very interesting to hear that remarkably similar tone now and then. But I've never heard a Christian vocal and thought "wow, that sounds like it could be Carl!"

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 04:20:16 AM »

I agree with Hey Jude.....Christian just doesn't sound like Carl to me at all. No knock on him either....there's only 1 Carl Wilson ever!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 10:35:27 AM »

Listening to this just made me extremely sad. Sad

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 10:46:14 AM »

He sounded really good there

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 10:54:23 AM »

Pure inspiration. Carl was a trooper and a true professional. God I miss him.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx