gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:14:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963 -- Available Now!  (Read 39177 times)
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2015, 04:05:05 PM »

Jim,

Add me to the list of people who are getting a lot out of your book!  I'd never seen pictures of Hite or Dorinda Morgan, and I didn't know the ins and outs of Candix 301/X 301/Candix 331.  Also, I didn't know anything about the Dix brothers besides their names.  It seems like the worst thing that could happen to a small label was to have a hit.

You covered a lot of ground and kept it well organized.  I didn't get the sense of "hopping around" from topic to topic.  The appendices are all icing on the cake.  It's too bad a little bit is cut off on the right side of the letter of intent and agreement from Murry to Hite.  Was that from microfilm?

There are a very few typos, as often happens in works like this.  Eddie Fischer (p. 234) is the famous Eddie Fisher (married to Debbie Reynolds, etc).  Also, I did not find Gary Usher in the index.  And what was the address of Stereo Masters?  It's 5434-5438 on page 69 and 5534-5538 on other pages.

Again, this was top-notch!
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2015, 06:03:33 PM »

Alan
Thanks for your kind words about the book.  I am very glad you enjoyed reading it.  I think you'll like the additional stories and photos on the website. Let me know what you think or suggest topics for future articles.  And, if the spirit moves you, leave a review on Amazon.  I especially got a kick out of you enjoying Appendix 4.  I spent a lot of time on that, trying to illustrate the record production process and the revenue stream from the sale of a 45 rpm record.  My wife, Bernadette (see the Dedication) did the actual chart.  Way beyond my ability!  I hope you're feeling better now and over the flu.  Thanks again for your support!

mojoman3061
Thank you also for your support and for reading the book so closely and so thoroughly. I greatly appreciate learning about typos and things I can correct with the next printing.  Stereo Masters was at 5534-5538 Melrose Avenue.  It is correct on page 132 and on page 376 (Appendix 10).  It is incorrect on page 69.  I will rectify that when the book is reprinted.  Thanks for catching that, really quite impressive.  I truly appreciate that kind of feedback.

Another eagle-eyed reader, who is mentioned many times in the book, pointed out Eddie Fisher to me.  That's what happens when you're positive it is spelled one way (Fischer, with a "c") and you do not take the requisite three seconds to look it up. Aaarrgghh! Here's another one from the same eagle-eyed reader -- it's Shelley Fabares . . . Shelley with two "e's."  I have it as Shelly in a few spots. I was so obsessive about spelling "Fabares" correctly that I missed the inconsistency.  Gary Usher was inadvertently left out of the index.  That will be corrected in a future reprinting.

The March 29, 1962, Letter of Intent and Agreement from Murry to Hite came from an eight feel tall stack of legal documents from all the litigation over the years.  I was really excited when I found it, because, trust me, getting those documents was akin to breaking into Fort Knox.  Years.  That copy was the best I could provide.  Hopefully, it is just a minor inconvenience.  I fought for its inclusion in the book.  I wish I had included additional Appendices (the three-page Capitol contract dated May 24, 1962; the Legends from the Hite Morgan tape boxes; the Standard Songwriter's Contract for "Surfer Girl"; Murry's passport records; 1962-1963 AFM contracts).  In today's environment, publishing a book is a series of compromises.  You win some battles, you relent on others.  I am eternally grateful McFarland Books believed in this book 100% from the onset.  I have McFarland and founder Robert McFarland Franklin to thank for the book being published.  They loved the thirty page proposal from the onset.

Thanks again, mojoman, for your support and feedback.  Let me know what you think of the website.  Hawthorne High alumni are enjoying the article on the 1959 Hawthorne Cougar football season, the so-called Cinderella Season.  A really thrilling sports story.      
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 04:56:37 AM by Jim Murphy » Logged
Dirtyfaz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2015, 09:57:49 PM »

Hope this is not stepping on any ones toes, but after reading this book I have to comment on what appears to be a large amount of information in this book that I have read in the 4 year old book/E book written by Stephen McParland.
No mention of his book in this forum subject.
If anyone is interested in going back and reading McParland's book now in it's 3rd edition. This new edition contains an addition 18 pages, also has a lot of information not in Murphy's new book.

Go to this site https://payhip.com/CMusicBooks to check out how to purchase a copy of this book. It is pretty cheap.
That site lists all the book Stephen has done over the years that are all available for download. I think all are reasonably priced.

mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2015, 09:58:04 AM »

Jim,

Thanks for being understanding about typos and things that can be corrected.  I didn't want to have a tone of superiority in my post, and I wanted to be sure you understood that I think you've done an amazing job. 

There's one instance each of "Korthoff," "Butalla," and, my favorite, "Murrry" (with 3 R's).  And the address for CBS Television City is 7800 Beverly Boulevard, not 800.  Congratulations on keeping "Fabares" straight, especially since Shelley's aunt Nanette spells it "Fabray."

I'm a member of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR), and baseball is one of McFarland's specialties.  They come to every SABR convention and sell zads of books.
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2015, 11:01:10 AM »

mojoman

Clearly, I should have sent you a copy of the manuscript before publication  Smiley

Thanks again for the support. No superiority evident at all in your posts. Just good, honest, constructive feedback. The type of feedback most authors appreciate. Despite numerous read-throughs from several pairs of eyes, I have been told that in a document that size, statistically, there are bound to be some typos.  Fortunately, these are easy, albeit annoying, fixes.  Thanks for spotting them and sharing them with me. 

Since your previous post, I have compiled the missing index entry for Gary Usher.   

Usher, Gary  141-145, 151, 155, 160, 162-163, 168-171, 184-189, 192, 199-200, 203-206, 211-212, 214-215, 217-219, 221, 223, 227-230, 233, 238-240, 242, 245, 254-255, 259, 261, 263, 265, 268, 273, 276, 290, 297, 299-300, 302, 316, 318, 322, 334, 345

McFarland is quite the eclectic publisher.  I have steered a fiend of mine toward them as he is writing a book about the history of high school basketball in the greater Washington, DC, area.  It seemed McFarland would be perfect for that.

Thanks again!
Competition Clutch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »

Jim:

I have the book on order.  Sounds like you did a tremendous job. 

In the great Hawthorne football article, you introduce Alex Bravo as a former Los Angeles Raider.   At the time of writing he was an ex-Los Angeles Ram and later played for the Oakland Raiders.   http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BravAl20.htm

Great work on that article.
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2015, 04:45:18 PM »

Competition Clutch

Thanks for your support! I hope you enjoy the book.  I'm glad you enjoyed the website article on the 1959 Hawthorne High Cougar's Cinderella season. It was a fun story to write.  As I wrote on cougartown.com (Hawthorne High's alumni website), I finished the football story as a small measure of thanks to all the Hawthorne High alumni who graciously granted me interviews and who so kindly helped me with the story. The story would not have ft in the book so, rather than let it languish in my computer, I thought I'd finish it for the alumni, many of whom still vividly recall that exciting football season. 

Thanks for the head's up about Coach Bravo.  I fixed it in the article. 

Thanks again and please let me know your thoughts after you've read the book.
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2015, 02:11:41 PM »

Ken Sharp interviewed me recently about Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, for Rock Cellar.  

Here's the link:

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2015/11/06/becoming-the-beach-boys-author-james-b-murphy-interview/?utm_source=Rock+Cellar+Magazine+Subscribers&utm_campaign=046f104901-October+Issue+Email+10.8.15&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_951cfef8de-046f104901-159115861#sthash.4DqyGB6v.TlRr6rvr.dpbs

The article includes photographs of Hite Morgan, the Dix brothers (owners of CANDIX, Enterprises, Inc.), and, as sort of a bonus for the Rock Cellar article, a photograph of Judy Bowles that did not appear in the book. Here's Judy as she looked when Brian fell in love with her in summer 1961.  "So I say from me to you / I will make your dreams come true / Do you love me, do you Surfer Girl."

Thanks Ken!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 02:12:35 PM by Jim Murphy » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2015, 02:43:07 PM »

Your book was excellent Jim. Very well researched and even handed. Filled in a ton of gaps. Thank you! A+
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2015, 04:11:11 PM »

Why, thank you, Emily!  That was nice to hear.  I am very happy you enjoyed it. 

When you have a chance, please visit the companion website at http://becomingthebeachboys.com/

A new article and photos coming soon (this weekend) "A Research Challenge: Brian Wilson, Roger Christian, and Ice Cream Sundaes"

Followed shortly thereafter (hopefully) by a Murry Wilson Discography
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2015, 04:29:08 PM »

Great article, Jim, and nice to see that additional pic of Judy Bowles.

Concerning your question for readers about a white label promo of Candix 331, considering how frequently 45 rpm promo copies ended up in the used market, not to mention the fact that Audition copies of Candix 301 are not difficult to find, I'd say that if a white label promo of Candix 331 had ever been pressed at least one copy would have shown up by now.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2016, 10:43:49 AM »

I ordered the book on Amazon on March 9. Delivery was supposed to be this week. Then I got a notice that states it won't even be shipped until April 20. Not great service.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2016, 11:34:42 AM »

It's worth the wait. Well worth it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2016, 11:50:27 AM »

I second this emotion.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2016, 01:20:08 PM »

Thanks! Will endure....
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2016, 02:19:01 AM »

Great book that we've only today got round to sticking on the blog. Hope nobody minds:

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/becoming-beach-boys-review-and.html
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2016, 08:28:29 AM »

Just found this and thought it would fit into this thread (your book gets a couple of mentions Jim!):

Where "The Beach Boys" Were Filmed: July 27, 1962

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJnUMnEZJIc

And of course the original footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOg1MxozVPc
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:36:36 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2016, 09:11:39 AM »

Thanks Rocker for sharing that link -- very cool to see the former Azusa Teen Club!

Thanks Smilin Ed H for the post!

joe-blow, I hope you received the book, thanks for your support, I hope you enjoy it. 
Competition Clutch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2016, 07:26:42 PM »

Nice tribute by the videographer.   It would be better if he filmed with less camera movement and recorded his voiceover later so he could avoid repetitive and redundant comments.  Very easy to do with iMovie.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:27:18 PM by Competition Clutch » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx