gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:36:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963 -- Available Now!  (Read 39343 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2015, 02:16:15 PM »

Just received my book the other day and finished it in two days.  Fantastic.  It is a must for all fans.  Question -- the book mentions a personal website for James Murphy's stuff that he had to leave out of the book -- becomingthebeachboys.com  but the site does not seem to work.  Anyone know why or has it been taken down already??

Jim hasn't bothered to open it yet

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2015, 05:58:45 PM »

The book arrived today. Looks like a good, informative read. And some photos I haven't seen before.

I'm slow when reading books, so don't expect a review anytime soon. I'm still slogging thru A Game of Thrones.
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2015, 06:59:22 AM »

Once again, thank you Everyone for the support and kind words for Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963.  It's nice to see your first child so warmly welcomed.

I see Amazon U.S. is showing "temporarily out of stock," so, hopefully, that will again be resolved soon. Naturally, I am pleased the book is selling so well, but frustrated folks are running into these snags.  Thanks for your patience.

In addition to working on marketing and promotional opportunities, requesting McFarland to send review copies to key media outlets, general and Beach Boys-centric, corresponding with folks interviewed in the book, just completing a great interview with a national print and digital magazine (more about that later), I have been working on the companion website (becomingthebeachboys.com) which will be operational very soon. My beautiful and immensely talented wife, Bernadette, has tackled the intricacies of creating a website. She has a real flair for design and we are very pleased with how it is coming along. And, as you can glimpse by the book's dedication, she is the secret weapon, the unsung hero, of Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963. She read the manuscript ten, twelve, fifteen times? -- each time making edits, changes, corrections, suggestions. "What about this?"  "You say this on page 63 and then contradict yourself two hundred pages later." You're kidding? That's just a small sampling of her essential input. She is a wonderfully skilled editor and grammarian. "This comma is italicized and it shouldn't be." WHAT?? "This should  be an em dash, not an en dash." What's an em dash? The formatting of the End Notes, the Bibliography, the Index -- all her. A little glimpse into the mechanics of writing a book . . . There comes a time when the End Notes are no longer electronically linked to the manuscript, and they have to be worked on separately. Keeping them straight and chronologically correct, not to mention putting up with the author's whims like, "Oh, let's add a quote and End Note mid-chapter!", is a huge challenge. So, my gratitude to Bernie and, as I write in the book, that she can still listen to the Beach Boys, is a marvelous testament to her exacting commitment to the book. Just extraordinary.

About the website . . . There were many story threads and photographs that did not make it into the book, that will now find a home on the website. I'll write a regular article on the experience of writing the book, the folks I spoke with while researching the book, the hits and misses, the influences, some of the incredibly kind and generous people who contributed enormously to the book.  There were stories about the Morgans, the Dix brothers, Joe Saraceno, Russ Regan, Nick Venet, Jimmy O'Neill, and others, that had to be trimmed from the manuscript. A  good example is Bruce Johnston -- I had a great section about Bruce, treated the same way as the other key players. My thinking was, well, he's a future Beach Boy, so let's include his early story since his life will later intersect with the Boys of Summer. And Bruce has a fascinating history in the music industry and he was so young when he started. I went into the John Dolphin murder; I have all of Bruce's early and obscure 45s; and examined his early career and discography. Anyway, unfortunately, the Bruce thread got cut from the book (writing a book and having it published by a legitimate publisher is all about compromises, you win some battles, you give a little on others, you lose others outright), but I would love for Bruce's story to have another life on the website.   
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2015, 09:02:15 AM »

I'm a little more than halfway through and there are some very interesting questions raised about the Beach Boys formation that I was not aware of previously.

First, the fact that it seems Brian initially viewed The Pendletones as a four person vocal group ala Four Freshmen.  Those four persons were Mike, Dennis, Carl and Brian - after the meeting with the Morgans when the idea of a surfing song was discussed, Brian rehearsed the song with those four as heard on the Garage Tapes.  At one point when Brian is frustrated with Dennis he threatens to get Alan and kick Dennis out of the group.  Then the first "demo" session at the Morgans' home studio was apparently done without Alan.  And then there's the lyric sheet for Surfing' with four names written on it (no Alan).

Second, i'm curious about why Mike, Carl and Dennis accompanied Brian and Al to the Morgans when Al asked Brian's help in recording "Wreck of the John B."  This is the meeting when Dorinda asks about original material and Dennis suggests the song about surfing.  Makes me wonder if Mike Carl and Dennis had the ulterior motive all along to get involved in recording and forming a group.

Third, it's unclear when Brian decided to include Alan in the group.  Sometime after the demo session no doubt, perhaps when he realized he needed another guitar/bass player?  And that Dennis wasn't reliable enough?  Certainly before the instrument rental during the Wilson trip to Mexico.  But it seems odd that after recording rehearsals after the demo session, Brian didn't record any of these rehearsals with the instruments?  So we have no rehearsals taped with Alan present.

I'm sure other questions will pop up as I get further into it!
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2015, 06:17:25 AM »

Here's a link to an article about BECOMING THE BEACH BOYS, 1961-1963, in this morning's hometown newspaper. The writer, John McNamara, is a knowledgeable Beach Boys' fan, although he has a distinct preference for the boys from Liverpool. I won't hold that against him.  Smiley

http://www.capitalgazette.com/bowie_bladenews/ph-ac-bb-veterinarian-author-0723-20150721-story.html 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2015, 08:11:26 AM »

Nice article, Jim! Very cool! I just received my copy last week and am about 50 pages through, so far. It is amazing that after 50 plus years that I am still learning new things about a band that I thought I knew everything about. Nice work, and thank you from one Beach Boys fan to another. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:56:27 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2015, 09:06:11 AM »

I may never be able to fully convey just how gratifying it has been to receive so many positive comments about Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963.  I greatly appreciate the kind words and I really like that so many long-time fans of the band are enjoying it. It makes the eight years and thousands of hours all very much worthwhile.

Two days ago, I received a call from Paul Laursen, a Beach Boys fan in Copenhagen. He wanted to thank me for writing the book and commented that (I know this sounds like shameless self-promotion, but it's truly what he said) he believed it was "the best book about the band he has ever read" and suggested a second volume examining 1964-1966. A really nice guy. He asked my help in obtaining one of the Limited Edition Beach Boys plaid Pendleton shirts seen on the book cover! So, I am now scouring eBay for a gently worn shirt in a size large. Paul mentioned he saw the band in November 1966 in Copenhagen (presumably at the Falkoner Centret in Torsdagm on November 3, 1966 -- thanks, Ian!) and they opened with "Help Me, Rhonda." He believed Bruce was not yet a skilled bass player and that Carl took over the bass for "Good Vibrations." He recalled the cheering/screaming from the audience was deafening. 
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2015, 10:51:41 AM »

He asked my help in obtaining one of the Limited Edition Beach Boys plaid Pendleton shirts seen on the book cover! So, I am now scouring eBay for a gently worn shirt in a size large.

Pendleton still offers the Blue Beach Boys Plaid shirt, available directly from Pendleton and a number of other outlets. So unless Paul Laursen absolutely requires the tag inside stating "Limited Edition This Shirt is a revival of the Pendleton Plaid Shirt worn by the Beach Boys on their early album covers" he could purchase a new shirt, although a used shirt should be less expensive on eBay. The "Limited Edition" tag was discontinued when revived Beach Boys Plaid became so popular that Pendleton decided to keep the shirt in their line up.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:58:44 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2015, 10:53:38 AM »

Two days ago, I received a call from Paul Laursen, a Beach Boys fan in Copenhagen. He wanted to thank me for writing the book and commented that (I know this sounds like shameless self-promotion, but it's truly what he said) he believed it was "the best book about the band he has ever read" and suggested a second volume examining 1964-1966.

Jim, here's hoping you continue the series with a book examining 64-66 up next. Is this something that's on your radar?

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2015, 04:38:23 PM »

Paul mentioned he saw the band in November 1966 in Copenhagen (presumably at the Falkoner Centret in Torsdagm on November 3, 1966 -- thanks, Ian!) and they opened with "Help Me, Rhonda." He believed Bruce was not yet a skilled bass player and that Carl took over the bass for "Good Vibrations." He recalled the cheering/screaming from the audience was deafening. 

That's an interesting observation. My understanding was that Carl claimed bass playing duties on "Good Vibrations" to allow Bruce to play organ. Personally, I always found the bass line in the verses of "Help Me, Rhonda" (particularly the first eight bars of each verse) more difficult than the bass line of "Good Vibrations." If Bruce was able to play bass live during "Help Me, Rhonda", then I'm impressed Cool

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2015, 01:09:36 PM »

He asked my help in obtaining one of the Limited Edition Beach Boys plaid Pendleton shirts seen on the book cover! So, I am now scouring eBay for a gently worn shirt in a size large.

Pendleton still offers the Blue Beach Boys Plaid shirt, available directly from Pendleton and a number of other outlets. So unless Paul Laursen absolutely requires the tag inside stating "Limited Edition This Shirt is a revival of the Pendleton Plaid Shirt worn by the Beach Boys on their early album covers" he could purchase a new shirt, although a used shirt should be less expensive on eBay. The "Limited Edition" tag was discontinued when revived Beach Boys Plaid became so popular that Pendleton decided to keep the shirt in their line up.

125 Dollars.  Pity they don't ship to the UK.  And the import charges would be added to that too.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2015, 05:48:41 PM »

Here's a link to an article about BECOMING THE BEACH BOYS, 1961-1963, in this morning's hometown newspaper. The writer, John McNamara, is a knowledgeable Beach Boys' fan, although he has a distinct preference for the boys from Liverpool. I won't hold that against him.  Smiley

http://www.capitalgazette.com/bowie_bladenews/ph-ac-bb-veterinarian-author-0723-20150721-story.html 

Nice article. 
And a really good book you wrote with OH so many dates, places and  faces that are new to us all.
 A little too much information for me, at times, concerning the background on all of the folks that aren't the Beach Boys; but I get that this is the book you wanted to write for yourself.

I'm sure you'd bring just as much  to a 64-66 tome( or a continuing series of fiurther editions) but I'm betting you don't have the time or the interest. The early years are yours! 

Did ya see someone spent $655 for a copy of Beach Girl by the Nodaens!  Must have wanted that puppy BAD!! 

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2015, 05:31:03 AM »

Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963 is avialable on Amazon.co.uk now, but £34.50 is a big ask so I hope it comes down in price at some point.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2015, 11:02:22 AM »

About halfway through the book at this point -- to say it's chockful of fascinating info is an understatement. Jim provides insight into all the surrounding factors in the BBs' rise.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2015, 11:07:36 AM »

One aspect which I appreciate immensely is that, should a point be debateable, Jim presents the evidence but doesn't impose his own views on the reader. Rather, you're allowed to draw your own conclusions. Most excellent.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2015, 02:21:31 PM »

Once again, thanks everyone for the support and kind words. I'm glad you are enjoying the book . . . No plans at this time for any additional volumes.

Thanks for pointing that out, Andrew. I kept that in the forefront as I was writing the book. It is an important distinction between "This is what happened" and "This is what may have happened; here are a few scenarios. What do you think?"   

Some good news . . . www.becomingthebeachboys.com was launched today. As a reader's companion to Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, the site will feature stories and photographs that did not make it into the book. It will also include expanded versions of stories that do appear in the book. 

Under INFLUENCES, up now are articles on the Four Freshmen, the Kingston Trio, and the Four Preps.  Followed soon by Fats Domino, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, and Buddy Holly. 

There are stories about the Tikis, Bruce Johnston, and a really cool fan letter written to the group by a fifteen-year-old fan on August 14, 1963.

Under DISCOGRAPHIES, first up (in a day or two) will be Murry Wilson, Dorinda and Hite Morgan, and CANDIX Enterprises, Incorporated.  Followed soon by Joseph Saraceno, Russ Regan, and Nick Venet. 

The site also has links to the PSYCHOBABBLE review and an article in my hometown newspaper.

Please feel free to post any suggested topics related to the early years, or the research and writing of the book.
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2015, 04:05:10 PM »

I just posted a new article on the companion website to Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963 (becomingthebeachboys.com) on a brief history of Surf Cinema and George Freeth, Jr., the Father of California Surfing.

http://becomingthebeachboys.com/2015/08/01/surf-cinema-and-george-freeth-jr-the-father-of-california-surfing/
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2015, 06:42:27 AM »

The DORINDA AND HITE MORGAN DISCOGRAPHY was just posted on becomingthebeachboys.com, the companion website to the book.  

At one point, in my naive writing days while searching for a publisher, I envisioned the book containing full discographies for such folks as the Morgans, Murry Wilson, Candix Enterprises, Joe Saraceno, Russ Regan, and Nick Venet. So, I went about compiling these discographies, collecting the records, and photographing the record labels. I did the same for the band's major rock and roll influences such as Fats Domino, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly. The same for all the songs the band has covered over the years or cited in interviews as influences. Same for Bruce Johnston and Glen Campbell (up to 1963). Just a side hobby to the book. *Groan* What was I thinking?? The reality is that would have made for a 600 page book.  And, truth be told, off the main story. But the discographies of the folks behind the band in the early days make for an interesting side story as they graphically illustrate how involved in the music industry these folks, especially the Morgans, were years before meeting Murry and the Wilson brothers. Once a publisher accepted my proposal, one of the negotiations was word count which translates into page count depending on the font, point size, and page size. Suffice it to say, the discographies were the among the first things jettisoned. Along with the stories now on the website (the Four Freshmen, the Kingston Trio, the Four Preps, the 1963 fan letter, the Tikis, a primer on California Surfing, and lots more to come).  

Although the discographies did not make it into the book, I felt it was important to publish them on the website, sharing them as historical documents for future writers, historians, music lovers, and fans.

So, I am in the process of polishing and re-formatting the discographies and pairing entries with photographs of record labels where available. Next up -- The Murry G. Wilson Discography. But each discography takes a disproportionate amount of time to format for the website, so I am going to alternate with articles and photographs focused on the band.  

And, in a shameless bit of self promotion, if you enjoyed the book, and the spirit so moves you, please take a few moments to leave a review at Amazon. Books and first-time authors rise and fall on such reviews. In the immortal words of the BIG E, thank you, thank you very much.    
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:44:16 AM by Jim Murphy » Logged
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2015, 07:45:50 AM »

Hi Jim,

Just wanted to say I've really been enjoying the cut materials and essays on the website. I found the Four Freshmen essay particularly enlightening and enjoyable. (If I recall correctly, much or most of that did actually make the book, right?) Excited about the Morgan discography. I totally geek out about stuff like that.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2015, 12:42:23 PM »

I've been away (lost and gone and unknown) for awhile, recently came back to LA and finally had a chance to dig into Jim Murphy's book....

This is amazing! 

Incredibly detailed, meticulously researched, and yet thoroughly readable and entertaining throughout.  Jim not only uncovers a wealth of fascinating info about the formation of the Beach Boys (including biographical profiles on just about everybody involved, from Al Jardine's parents to the Morgans and the Dix Brothers), he paints a vivid picture of Southern California and the LA music business in the postwar years, and really captures a strong sense of what it must have been like for the boys growing up in those days. 

This is truly an essential must-read for any serious Beach Boys devotee, and for anyone with even the slightest interest in Southern California pop music of the era.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2015, 03:06:29 PM »

Story on Jim himself.

https://www.hillnow.com/2015/08/14/capitol-hill-veterinarian-pens-book-on-beach-boys/
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2015, 03:54:21 PM »

Good press such as that is always welcome, I'd presume. Maybe it will generate Sale$$

I just had to check the Amazon link; I find it really interesting that there are two copies available used.
it doesn't seem there's been enough time for anyone to read it/ turn around to sell it back. But evidently they have.

Amazon's price seems pretty good.  Was going to mention that McFarland has a 30% off sale, if you buy any two books. promo code "summer"

Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »

Thank you Alan for such a great review of Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, and for everything you have done to support the book. It is greatly appreciated. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2015, 05:09:09 PM »

Radio interview with Jim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzsHkZUeN38

snap: also on the WFDU thread.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:10:34 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2015, 02:23:20 PM »

Coming soon ~ live interview podcast with  Jim Murphy, author of Becoming the Beach Boys 1961-1963

http://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/2015/08/new-beach-boys-book-new-podcast-with.html

Phil@PrayForSurf.net

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx