gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:27:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love & Mercy soundtrack discussion and a certain multi-track surprise  (Read 8760 times)
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:36:04 PM »

So to reiterate what's known:

The vocals for Carl's verses and the group's "gotta keep those..." are heard in the film in isolation. No artifacts. Totally clean. Did not sound like an extraction mix at all.

What happened? Were the masters found? Are the chorus vocals still lost? Probably...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 12:39:50 PM »

Going back to all of the discussions in the past concerning the lost GV vocal multi-tracks, was it ever indicated that different partial segments might exist on separate tapes, thus allowing for the possibility that some but not all might be discovered?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 12:58:18 PM »

I'm psyched to hear more about that Good Vibrations multi-track.

As for the soundtrack. Here's what I'm hoping for the official release:

- extended cuts of the Atticus Ross score.
- track 1 being the first piece of the score we hear in the movie - it's a tiny fragment of a trip that I haven't gotten out of my head since seeing the movie.
- Brian's Surf's Up piano demo
- If they can fit, a few of the hits sprinkled in for the casual fans, and perhaps a special mix of Good Vibrations.
- if it exists, a full version of that Til I Die mix...including Mike's a cappella line.
- the last track needs a hidden bonus track: the GV cello's being "attacked"/played in the studio with Dano giving direction.

No matter what we get, I am ecstatic we are actually getting a soundtrack. I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement and official track listing.

Btw, JCM posted all the songs and score songs used for the film in one post. Definitely belongs in this thread. Thanks JCM for posting that!

I've been fortunate to see the EPK for the film.  It lists, of course, the normal production notes but probably the coolest thing (it's all interesting) is all of the music used in the film.  Based on the screenplay and some of the descriptions by board members that have attended screenings, I'm guessing these are more or less in order (artist/performer only listed when it isn't the Beach Boys or Brian Wilson)

Surfin' U.S.A.
Don't Worry Baby
Surfer Girl
I Get Around
I Get Around — Love & Mercy Musicians
Fun, Fun, Fun
Songbird — Kenny G
These Dreams — Heart
Nowhere to Run — Martha Reeves & the Vandellas
The In Crowd — Ramsey Lewis Trio
On the Wings of Love — Jeffrey Osborne
Nights in White Satin — The Moody Blues
God Only Knows — Paul Dano
I'm Waiting For the Day — Love & Mercy Musicians
Pet Sounds
Pet Sounds — Love & Mercy Musicians
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Wouldn't It Be Nice — Love & Mercy Musicians
You Still Believe In Me — Paul Dano
You Still Believe In Me
Love & Mercy — Darian Sahanaja
Hang On to Your Ego
Here Today
Caroline, No
Caroline, No — Love & Mercy Musicians
I Live For the Sun — The Sunrays
Heart Full of Soul — The Yardbirds
Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)
Sloop John B
You Don't Have to Say You Love Me — Dusty Springfield
Good Vibrations — Paul Dano
Good Vibrations
Surf's Up
Surf's Up — Paul Dano
The Elements: Fire
Heroes & Villains
Do You Like Worms
In My Room
Day by Day — The Four Freshmen
Til I Die
One Kind of Love
Love & Mercy
Good Vibrations

"Black Hole" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

Don't Worry Baby
California Girls
Good To My Baby
Help Me, Rhonda
Wendy
Dance, Dance, Dance
Denny's Drums
Fun, Fun, Fun

"End Date" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

"Believe" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

You Still Believe In Me
Pet Sounds

"Silhouette" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

God Only Knows
Let's Go Away For Awhile
Sloop John B

"Headphones" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

I Live For the Sun — The Sunrays
I Know THere's An Answer
Sloop John B
Pet Sounds
Dance, Dance, Dance
Help Me, Rhonda
Here Today

"Knives and Forks" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

God Only Knows

"Deep End" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

Heroes and Villains
Barnyard
I Love to Say Da Da
Wind Chimes
Don't Worry Baby
Our Prayer

"B&M Studio" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

"Baby No Morph" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

I Love to Say Da Da
Here Today

"Bed Montage" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

Don't Worry Baby
California Girls

"Into Mercy" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

God Only Knows

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 01:02:25 PM »

Going back to all of the discussions in the past concerning the lost GV vocal multi-tracks, was it ever indicated that different partial segments might exist on separate tapes, thus allowing for the possibility that some but not all might be discovered?

That's a possibility but I don't think it's how Brian operated in '66 when he was recording modularly (Pre-Smile).  He recorded a backing track in sections, edited those sections together for a final mono master and then recorded all vocals over that.  The "hum de dum" section of GV appears to be an exception to that, but it was also scrapped for the final track.  Here's a mix of GV floating around that is essentially a work in progress of the vocals, still missing many overdubs. I hope this is OK to post for educational purposes.

https://soundcloud.com/smileyhoneyfriends-1/gv-alt

I have yet to see the film, but how clean do the vocals sound?  They could very well be extractions, but they also keep finding missing tapes all the time.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:12:01 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 01:10:32 PM »

That's a possibility but I don't think it's how Brian normally operated in 66/67 when he was recording modularly.  He recorded a backing track in sections, edited those sections together for a final mono master and then recorded all vocals over that.  The "hum de dum" section of GV appears to be an exception to that, but it was also scrapped for the final track.  Here's a mix of GV floating around that is essentially a work in progress of the vocals, still missing many overdubs. I hope this is OK to post for educational purposes.

https://soundcloud.com/smileyhoneyfriends-1/gv-alt

I have yet to see the film, but how clean do the vocals sound?  They could very well be extractions, but they also keep finding missing tapes all the time.

I’m going off my recollection having seen and heard the film yesterday, but as others have said, it certainly *sounded* too clean to be an extraction. It sounded pretty dry and upfront as I recall as well. They certainly didn’t *have* to isolate those vocal parts for the film. I would imagine if they didn’t have those vocal elements to work with, they would have just used the finished mono (or partial stereo) mix. I can’t imagine them desperately needing just those little bits isolated, and then commissioning a digital extraction. But you never know of course.

As I’ve said elsewhere, if it is a digital extraction, it’s amazing.

I’m trying to remember if they used Carl’s line “close my eyes”, which might give an indication of whether they have his lead vocal isolated from the backing vocals, as the backing vocals of course nearly obliterate the “close” part of Carl’s vocal.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 01:13:45 PM »

Possibly from a live version multitrack?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 01:20:13 PM »

They sound crisp and clean, I'd bet they aren't extractions. Actually, I hope someone here who has his email could send Mark Linett an email regarding this very matter.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 01:52:30 PM »

Possibly from a live version multitrack?

Again, I’m open to my brain just being caught up the film and not remembering accurately, but it certainly sounded like the vocals from the finished, “master take” in terms of phrasing and whatnot. Without getting to hear it again, I’d be more open to the possibility of a really good precise soundalike re-recording as opposed to a live take vocal being isolated.

Things are also garbling in my brain a bit, because I do recall one of the scenes also showing “Brian” recording some vocals with the “alternate” lyrics. I remember this because they *didn’t* work that into the plot, meaning they didn’t show Brian cutting those lyrics and *then* going to Mike for new lyrics. I believe they showed Brian approaching Mike about lyrics, and *then* showed scenes including Brian cutting the early, alternate lyrics. 

DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 02:23:40 PM »

Agree they didn't sound like extractions.  Was so clean.  I hope someone is able to get to the bottom of this.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 02:30:36 PM »

We do have in the archives partial vocals for "Good Vibrations," from a copy of an original 4 track master.  This 4 track (which now exists only in a vintage 8 track copy) only had some of the vocal parts, none of them doubled, and was apparently copied to a separate, now missing 8 track onto which Brian would have then added all of the rest of the vocal parts and layers heard in the final mix. 
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 02:32:46 PM »

Cool Guy

Thanks Alan Boyd!  Can you break some news on the release date for the soundtrack for the film?

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 02:36:52 PM »

That list is missing Be My Baby, played by Dano.  Smiley

I felt Animal Collective influence in "Black Hole" and "Deep End", probably the best tracks. Was a little bit disappointed in how much 'dark ambient' comprised the score.

"Baby No Morph" composed by Atticus Ross contains portions of:

I Love to Say Da Da

...nice...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 02:44:27 PM by puni puni » Logged
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 03:16:16 PM »

Btw, JCM posted all the songs and score songs used for the film in one post. Definitely belongs in this thread. Thanks JCM for posting that!

You're welcome.  Actually, just a couple of days ago Soundtrack.net was updated with the info (from the Press Kit) and it's much more detailed:

http://www.soundtrack.net/movie/love-and-mercy/

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 05:45:59 PM »

My apologies if this has already been referenced in another thread, but here's a link to an interview with the composer of the Love & Mercy score, Atticus Ross:

http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/2015/06/atticus_ross_talks_brian_wilso.html

He says some interesting things, such as Paul McCartney saw Love & Mercy in a private screening, and they had to re-sing an incredible melody to "God Only Knows" for the film that isn't on the final released version of the song "because it was in isolation."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:58:21 PM by Misterlou » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 01:03:28 AM »

Er... the way you've phrased it it reads like they had to revise the "GOK" part because Macca saw a preview.  Grin

Or perhaps that's just me...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 01:05:43 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
icehouse
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 01:53:59 AM »

interestingly, the vocals on the link in the soundcloud version for the "I dont know where" section are precisely those missing off that section in the alternate mixes of GV that have been issued
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 02:02:29 AM »

You're welcome.  Actually, just a couple of days ago Soundtrack.net was updated with the info (from the Press Kit) and it's much more detailed:

Thanks for posting, but gotta ask....

End Date
composed by Atticus Ross
contains portions of:

Written by Brian Wilson and Tony Asher
Performed by The Beach Boys
Courtesy of Capitol Records
Under license from Universal Music Enterprises

Is that a SET end date?

*crickets*

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 06:34:54 AM »

We do have in the archives partial vocals for "Good Vibrations," from a copy of an original 4 track master.  This 4 track (which now exists only in a vintage 8 track copy) only had some of the vocal parts, none of them doubled, and was apparently copied to a separate, now missing 8 track onto which Brian would have then added all of the rest of the vocal parts and layers heard in the final mix. 

Thanks for the info! Can we assume it is these bits that they used in the film?

orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 03:23:48 PM »

I wanted to bring up a point that MarcellaHasDirtyFeet brought up in another thread, but which seems applicable here:

Did any of the studio backing tracks during the Wrecking Crew portions sound like re-recordings to anyone else? Or have the originals been "cleaned up" somehow? A lot of the instrumental bits sounded just ever so slightly different than the original BB tracks.

There were definitely a few scenes where new recordings were used, but I didn't have the capacity to recognize whether the studio band was playing them "live" or miming to newly recorded tracks. Either way, it's interesting why they chose to do this for certain scenes when the instrumentals and session outtakes were obviously used elsewhere.
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 04:00:21 PM »

You're welcome.  Actually, just a couple of days ago Soundtrack.net was updated with the info (from the Press Kit) and it's much more detailed:

they got Caroline No wrong

Make waves, not love
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 04:22:30 PM »

There was a mix of miming (to finished tracks) and real instruments (finished and WIP tracks). The only part where they used an original WIP mix for miming was for a little bit of the WIBN intro where Billy Strange(?) is shown noodling around.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 04:53:27 PM »

they got Caroline No wrong

I'm so glad they used the original speed version of Caroline, No in the film; just shows the attention to detail.
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 06:17:32 PM »

My apologies if this has already been referenced in another thread, but here's a link to an interview with the composer of the Love & Mercy score, Atticus Ross:

http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/2015/06/atticus_ross_talks_brian_wilso.html

He says some interesting things, such as Paul McCartney saw Love & Mercy in a private screening, and they had to re-sing an incredible melody to "God Only Knows" for the film that isn't on the final released version of the song "because it was in isolation."
Er... the way you've phrased it it reads like they had to revise the "GOK" part because Macca saw a preview.  Grin

Or perhaps that's just me...

So far it's just you AGD, but I'll keep you posted.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2015, 11:37:47 PM »

I couldn't make it out, but what Brian tune were Cusack & Banks listening to on the radio as they pulled up to the vacant house lot under the highway in Hawthorne?
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 11:52:14 PM »

I couldn't make it out, but what Brian tune were Cusack & Banks listening to on the radio as they pulled up to the vacant house lot under the highway in Hawthorne?

One kind of Love off NPP

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx