gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:39:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I kid you not  (Read 2876 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2006, 11:32:52 AM »

I heard a cover of "Island Girl" (from Still Cruisin') when I was in the mall yesterday.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 10:47:27 AM »

I hate that song!  Angry

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 10:55:01 AM »

Now THAT is strange...  Shocked

Are you sure it was this exact song? I think Elton John also did a song called "Island Girl"... If this new song truly is a cover of the BB's "Island Girl", I would really like to know what's going on in these singers' heads...  Huh Why make a cover of this song?!

Sorry to disagree with you on that one Jason, but I think the original version is cool; I especially like the acapella intro.  Smiley

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 02:45:34 PM »

It wasn't the Elton John song; I definitely heard "island girl, she makes me happy / island girl, she's kinda sassy".

The weird thing is, not only did someone cover it, but presumably it got on the radio or something! Or maybe the mall has its own playlist, I don't know.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 02:49:35 PM »

It wasn't the Elton John song; I definitely heard "island girl, she makes me happy / island girl, she's kinda sassy".

The weird thing is, not only did someone cover it, but presumably it got on the radio or something! Or maybe the mall has its own playlist, I don't know.

Probably some trainee testing the speakers   Wink

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 05:44:12 PM »

I ran the title through All Music Guide to see who did the cover, but there was only one result for "Island Girl" by Jardine-- The Beach Boys Still Cruisin'. 

This is bugging me for some reason... I wanna get to the bottom of why someone would choose to cover "Island Girl" out of all Beach Boys songs in existence!   Thud

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 06:01:19 PM »

I found this, couldn't find any soundclips, though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Johnson_Big_Band_%28album%29 ?

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 03:37:59 AM »

Hmm, I don't think this is what you heard...  Sad

http://www.donjohnsonbigband.com/en/lyrics/islandgirl/

However, I think I've just found some interesting stuff:

http://rarb.org/reviews/20.html# 

http://www.brainymusic.com/albums/us/shock_value.html

Grin

But still nothing on WHY they chose to cover "Island Girl". They appear to have covered some other BB songs though (Good Vibrations...)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 03:49:21 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx