gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:40:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The vocal handoff  (Read 3265 times)
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2006, 08:48:25 AM »

Its so weird to me that Brian does this so often.  I've never heard any other band do this that I can think of.  Mostly, it can be seen from Mike to Brian for the higher parts of a melody, but why does Carl switch to Brian on higher parts when he has incredible range as well (GV, Time to Get Alone)?  When I first started listening to the Beach Boys and started to be able to tell their voices apart, this would always trip me up because I wouldn't realize that the person singing at one point was not the one who started the lyric...

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 08:57:09 AM »

..why does Carl switch to Brian on higher parts when he has incredible range as well (GV, Time to Get Alone)? 

I would guess for the tone differences. Carl could sign hihg, but Brian has a different (i'd say fuller and brighter) tone. Maybe they just liked the way Brian sounded on those highest parts. I know I do.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 10:39:59 AM »

Yes, Carl said in 1981 that when they recorded "Good Vibrations", his own voice wasn't strong enough yet to hit those high notes, so Brian did it for him.  Carl mentioned it was ironic that when he watched the band (who was touring without him that year) on the July 5th Queen Mary simulcast, Brian sang Carl's lead except that Bruce had to take the high notes that Brian sang on the record!

Also, did you ever notice that Brian sings the very high lead vocal part (the final line of the bridge:  "Church, bingo chances, and old time dances") on "Disney Girls"?  That's where the term "ghost singing" came from...Brian would step in and "ghost sing" lines the others couldn't reach.

Craig
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »

Yes, Carl said in 1981 that when they recorded "Good Vibrations", his own voice wasn't strong enough yet to hit those high notes, so Brian did it for him.  Carl mentioned it was ironic that when he watched the band (who was touring without him that year) on the July 5th Queen Mary simulcast, Brian sang Carl's lead except that Bruce had to take the high notes that Brian sang on the record!

Also, did you ever notice that Brian sings the very high lead vocal part (the final line of the bridge:  "Church, bingo chances, and old time dances") on "Disney Girls"?  That's where the term "ghost singing" came from...Brian would step in and "ghost sing" lines the others couldn't reach.

Craig

Never knew they had a term for it.

With GV, that part isn't even that high though, so it is kind of weird that he was having trouble with it.  You hear the live recordings and it seems like he does it fairly easily.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 04:30:53 PM »

My favorite ever vocal handoff is Brian handing the lead vocal over to Carl after the first line on "This Whole World"... although it's all fantasy, you almost can see Brian with his wife and everybody gathered around a microphone to sing all the backup "baddoom bop diddip" 's behind Carl's lead.... plus he sounds so crazy, it's just great "I'mmmm thinkin' bout this whole world!!!! badddooomm boppp diddup, badddooom bopp diddup!"

Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 04:33:19 AM »

I didn't know that was Brian singing the first line on "This Whole World!"

And I didn't know he had any involvement at all with "Disney Girls!"

Ya learn something new every day.

Glenn
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 06:49:42 AM »

^ Well, dont' trust me 100%, but I'm almost positive that's him on the 1st line... plus later, he does the same line in the background, it's the only audible words in the backup vocals "I'm thinkin' bout a this whole world!!!" then they go back to oohs, ahhhs, and badoom bop diddups. 
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 08:43:52 AM »

Craig

I, for one hope it's Bruce...who sings the last line (before the "tag") of 'Til I die ? It doesn't sound like the same voice who sang on Disney Girls...

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 07:05:04 PM »

^ Well, dont' trust me 100%, but I'm almost positive that's him on the 1st line... plus later, he does the same line in the background, it's the only audible words in the backup vocals "I'm thinkin' bout a this whole world!!!" then they go back to oohs, ahhhs, and badoom bop diddups. 

Listened to "This Whole World" three times today, and I'm pretty sure it's CARL who sings the first line.  Though I agree with you that it's Brian singing the same line later on in the backup vocals.

Glenn
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 10:32:29 PM »

It's to create the unique blend in voices on the particular song. Look at them like different saxaphones being selected for their range and tone color.

In "Good Vibrations" they wanted a lush, soulful lead vocal. Brian Wilson does not have a lush voice; possibly why Dennis was chosen to sing lead at first. Carl was next in line for a more husky and soulful voice, so when Dennis had his sore throat Carl took over. Brian's part (in the verses) is perfect. It has a bit more distinction than Carl's lead but flows so nicely into the rest of his brother's words.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 10:34:42 PM by Atticus Finch » Logged

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 10:59:32 PM »

Craig

That part has always sounded more like Bruce to me. Just the tone of the falsetto in that section of "Disney Girls" makes it sound like Bruce to me. Don't take my word for it though.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Vincent
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 02:12:07 AM »

Hey guys

Just wanted to say that if i'm remembering things correctly, somewhere on the "Hotel Tapes" Bruce says that he couldn't sing that part of Disney Girls and that Brian did it for him...  its probably just before his rendition of Disney Girls (much at the request of Brian!)

Vinnie
Matt Howlett
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 10:18:16 AM »

Speaking of vocal handoff's, can anyone post a list of "falsetto" duties that were held in the Beach Boys' concert career?

As far as I know, the order of falsetto goes like this:

Brian 1961-65
Bruce / Al 1965-?
Blondie 1972-
Al - 1975 ish-?

(someone had to have sang the part in between this era and Jeff Foskett)

Jeff Foskett 1983- early 90's?
Matt Jardine 1985-90's?
Adrian Baker ??-2004
Randell Kirsh 2004-present

Can someone fill in the blanks?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 10:45:03 AM »

Hey guys

Just wanted to say that if i'm remembering things correctly, somewhere on the "Hotel Tapes" Bruce says that he couldn't sing that part of Disney Girls and that Brian did it for him...  its probably just before his rendition of Disney Girls (much at the request of Brian!)

Vinnie

Yep, that's true. I just wanted to post it, but then I saw your post. Bruce said that Brian sang that part, because he couldn't do it. On stage though he did it quite good....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 11:15:39 AM »

Wow.  I've learned something today; I never knew that Brian sang the high part on the verse...The lines "I hear the sound of a" and "When I look", right?  Why didn't I pick up on this before?  I guess I'm dumb, but I don't care!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx