gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:49:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: if carl & dennis didnt go to m.I.u. where was  (Read 3190 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:24:59 PM »

Where/when was Sweet Sunday kinda love recorded?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 06:38:20 PM »

Where/when was Sweet Sunday kinda love recorded?
Not sure about this tune, but I know that his vocals on the chorus to Peggy Sue was done in L.A.. He did make an appearance at MIU at least once.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 08:14:13 PM »

Carl was there for some of it I believe, and Dennis I think was there for one day.  Others can chime in to elaborate.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 08:53:41 PM »

Carl made a trip out to MIU. The AFM sheets only list Carl as present on December 3rd & 4th.

December 13 - session: Toys For Tots PSA/My Diane vocal [Kaye Smith, Seattle]

Dennis also may have played drums on an early version of She's Got Rhythm.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 10:56:33 PM by petsite » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 09:08:40 PM »

Yes, they were both there: Carl for a short period (like maybe a week), Dennis even briefer (like maybe a weekend).
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 09:11:49 AM »

Doesn't Dennis sing on "Our Team"?? At the very least, he's credited with cowriting it (well, all five Beach Boys are credited with writing...I once witnessed a friend practically choke herself laughing when she noticed that it took that many people to write that stupid song)...and I thought that was his voice singing "the girls in the stands and all of our fans" (although it may have been Brian)...that song was recorded at MIU.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 09:37:15 AM »

Doesn't Dennis sing on "Our Team"?? At the very least, he's credited with cowriting it (well, all five Beach Boys are credited with writing...I once witnessed a friend practically choke herself laughing when she noticed that it took that many people to write that stupid song)...and I thought that was his voice singing "the girls in the stands and all of our fans" (although it may have been Brian)...that song was recorded at MIU.

From what I can tell, "the girls in the stands and all of our fans" is definitely Brian.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 09:39:20 AM »

Yeah I did read carl was there for a small session...dennis recorded my diane a year earlier either during 15bO or LY...and peggy sue/come go w me/tomboy same story... winds of change I think might have dated back to then as well..
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 09:45:13 AM »

<<dennis recorded my diane a year earlier either during 15bO or LY...and peggy sue/come go w me/tomboy same story... winds of change I think might have dated back to then as well>>

No, not same story.  Vocals for Peggy Sue and Come Go With Me were recut for MIU. 
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 10:08:28 AM »

No Dennis recorded my Diane in December 77 when they were on tour in Seattle. The unreleased our team documentary has footage of it
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 10:24:35 AM »

And I believe Winds of Change was tracked in the summer of 1978, according to Andrew's timeline - though it may have been a sweetening session.

There are numerous sources for the correct information out there.  Andrew's site is the best.  A great place to modify uninformed opinions with actual fact.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:27:34 AM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 01:24:06 PM »

Most definitely Brian on that line.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »

Which is stunning because of how smooth and clear Brian's vocals were on other songs from that window/period (i.e. "Winter Symphony", "Matchpoint", "Wontcha Come Out Tonight").
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 05:52:22 PM »

Which is stunning because of how smooth and clear Brian's vocals were on other songs from that window/period (i.e. "Winter Symphony", "Matchpoint", "Wontcha Come Out Tonight").

The difference is not so vast as it initally seems.  There was some extremely canny mixing going on that album, borne out by some of the rough mixes that circulate.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 02:48:28 AM »

And I believe Winds of Change was tracked in the summer of 1978, according to Andrew's timeline - though it may have been a sweetening session.

There are numerous sources for the correct information out there.  Andrew's site is the best.  A great place to modify uninformed opinions with actual fact.

For those interested, here is a visual representation of MIU's timeline, according to AGD, as sourced from his site, as mentioned by Steve Latshaw.

I threw this together in Aug 2014, and have not updated or correct etc.

http://postimg.org/image/5kc81qnp1/

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 02:52:13 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 02:52:12 AM »

edit: I see you've fixed the image above
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 02:53:32 AM by mikeyj » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 02:54:38 AM »

--

* I do not understand why the img link isn't working

There you go - it's because you didn't actually link to an image but just a page featuring the image.

Went back to my original post from back in the day and worked it out.  Thanks tho'! - cheers - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx