gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:43:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greatest Album Closers  (Read 9572 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 09:08:27 AM »

The Doors - The End

Also from the Doors, "The Soft Parade" I always loved... probably more so than "The End" but admittedly probably just because it's less popular. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 09:29:36 AM »

In fact, your schmoopy comment might be perfect--especially when one considers that being in the "schmoopy trading" relationship is bliss whether it nauseates everyone else or not. It's an "i'm in love and don't give a f***" kind of thing.

I associate it more with a need to remind everyone around that "we're in love, look at us!". I like to think love is a bond much deeper than that and, as long as both persons feel it, there's no need for constant manifestation of it. But maybe it's got to do with the type of persons who behave that way that I've come in contact with.

That is definitely a fair interpretation. To me, how one views that (and a lot of things) changes depending on one's own circumstances. Of course love is (or at least hopefully love is) deeper than that. But at the same time, one who is in love--especially the ecstatic early phases of it--may well rise (or sink) into the schmoopy behavior quite innocently. Others fake it for attention. And it's almost always annoying to anyone on the outside either way. Maybe this is an odd correlation, but I am reminded of Robert Wright's book The Evolution of God, where he says Old Testament portrayals of how Israel/Judah interacted with outsiders can almost always relate to their economic well-being at the time those assorted books were written. When all is well, trade is thriving and the nation next door is an important partner. Consequently, the various prohibitions on interactions are lessened or lifted and there's a "live and let live" idea. When times are worse, those bastards should be slain immediately. One's mindset can similarly affect the sentiment or style of art, as well. At least that's what I think. Catch me on the wrong day and I'll hate "Oh Yoko" too.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 01:50:44 PM »

On the Oh Yoko front, content aside, I feel like it is one of the most (if not the most) enthusiastic sounding songs in Lennon's solo career. While Lennon is still my favourite Beatle, and while I used to love his solo material so much that I know it all pretty well, I have become less and less interested in it as time has gone on, mostly because I feel like there's not much fun in it. Part of that is a production issue, I think -- I listen to his demos or alternate takes of songs like I'm the Greatest and Nobody Told Me and they sound really great and I could imagine them sounding even better with good final mixes. But so much of the music lacks classic Lennon's sense of adventure. I'm not sure if I'm articulating it well, but there you have it. At any rate, I feel like Oh Yoko has that sense of adventure in it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:53:09 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 04:59:47 PM »

I offer up these three:

"It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" by Bob Dylan
"Weasels Ripped My Flesh" by Frank Zappa (oh, come on, it works so well)
"Waterloo Sunset" by the Kinks

"Oh Yoko!" is one of the few Lennon solo songs I like.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2015, 04:12:36 AM »

"Weasels Ripped My Flesh" by Frank Zappa (oh, come on, it works so well)

It certainly does! Good call.

How about:

"Tribute To World War III"----The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band (Volume 3: A Child's Guide To Good And Evil)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc_0cii5o7c

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 08:03:24 AM »

The Doors - The End

Also from the Doors, "The Soft Parade" I always loved... probably more so than "The End" but admittedly probably just because it's less popular. 
I'm with you!  While "The End" is a truly epic closure... I tend to find its girth a little tedious and its themes/message a little too intense (and creepy) to "leave me" as a favorite closer.  "The Soft Parade" on the other hand is a blast!  It builds, meanders & explores, goofs-off, and never stops entertaining.  It's a great anthem, with so much solid "Doors-isms" yet is all the while, quite obscure feeling.

Love it!

KDS
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 08:06:55 AM »

The Doors - The End

I'm with you!  While "The End" is a truly epic closure... I tend to find its girth a little tedious and its themes/message a little too intense (and creepy) to "leave me" as a favorite closer.  "The Soft Parade" on the other hand is a blast!  It builds, meanders & explores, goofs-off, and never stops entertaining.  It's a great anthem, with so much solid "Doors-isms" yet is all the while, quite obscure feeling.

Love it!

Good call on The Soft Parade title track. 

You can make almost put that one is a separate category - great closers to mediocre albums. 

Although, I prefer the live version they performed on PBS, which I'm pretty sure is available on The Doors - Essential Rarities. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 11:40:21 PM »

Like you said Bean Bag, it's a little more fun.  I was really into the Doors as a teenager, but I always enjoyed the fun songs the most, stuff like Hyacinth House or Moonlight Drive, or Love Street...  wonderful music, really. 
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2015, 08:53:29 AM »

My favorite Doors album closer would be When the Music's Over.  I know it kinda rambles on a bit, but that last refrain just drives the whole thing home.

There are a few Moody Blues album closers I think are wonderful.  Nights in White Satin, of course, spoken poetry and all.  Which poses a bit of a dilemma when I hear it on the radio or on a comp.  Without the spoken part it sounds incomplete.  With the spoken part (which I have actually heard on the radio on occasion) it sounds a bit out of context.  I guess the only way for me to listen to it is on the album from start to finish.

Another Moodies album closer I thoroughly enjoy is Watching and Waiting off of To Our Children's Children's Children.  What a beautiful haunting song!  It always makes me want to hear the album all over again.
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2015, 02:58:36 PM »

"Grown Ocean" from the album "Helplessness Blues" by Fleet Foxes is a spectacular album closer. The band has been on hiatus for about 4 years now, and chances of a reunion seem slim. However, this track makes for a beautiful and satisfying album closer and potential career cap if this indeed proves to be their final release.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2015, 07:26:11 PM »

A Comet Appears from the Shins' Wincing the Night Away.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2015, 02:54:45 PM »

"Redeemed" from Blue Oyster Cult's eponymous first album or "Astronomy" from "Secret Treaties".  Both melodic, intense, moody from a very misunderstood band.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
KDS
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2015, 05:14:42 AM »

"Redeemed" from Blue Oyster Cult's eponymous first album or "Astronomy" from "Secret Treaties".  Both melodic, intense, moody from a very misunderstood band.

Astronomy closes out Secret Treaties, one of the most severely undervalued albums of all time.  To me, that's when BOC peaked.  Their first five albums are absolutely killer, but there's something special about Secret Treaties.  Sadly, when they play live these days, they tend to ignore that album for some reason. 
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2015, 08:02:40 PM »

Summer's Gone - That's Why God Made the Radio
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2015, 08:52:49 PM »

Astronomy closes out Secret Treaties, one of the most severely undervalued albums of all time.  To me, that's when BOC peaked.  Their first five albums are absolutely killer, but there's something special about Secret Treaties.  Sadly, when they play live these days, they tend to ignore that album for some reason. 

Pretty much agree, although any of those first five (and perhaps "On Your Feet...") have spent time as my favorite.  But gun to my head...yeah "Secret Treaties".

Saw them a couple of times in recent years and it's still a great show -- Buck is amazing as always.  Perhaps they veer away from "Secret Treaties" because it's a heavily Bouchard Brothers disk?  Though all the first 5 were.

KDS
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2015, 05:28:22 AM »

Saw them a couple of times in recent years and it's still a great show -- Buck is amazing as always.  Perhaps they veer away from "Secret Treaties" because it's a heavily Bouchard Brothers disk?  Though all the first 5 were.

True.  I could be wrong, but I think Secret Treaties is the only album that doesn't feature a Buck lead vocal.

Seems like BOC have settled into a familiar ten song or so set over the past 5-6 years.   But, Buck still amazes, especially on the extended Last Days of May.  The first time I got to see them was 2005, when Allan was still there, and they did play Harvester of Eyes and Astronomy.  Got to get Eric Bloom to sign my Secret Treaties after the show. 

Also, got a chance to see Albert was his band The Brain Surgeons in 2005.  Sadly, they were playing to (no exaggeration) four people by the end of the night, but I got to talk to him and get my copy of Secret Treaties signed. 
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 07:45:49 PM »

True.  I could be wrong, but I think Secret Treaties is the only album that doesn't feature a Buck lead vocal.

Seems like BOC have settled into a familiar ten song or so set over the past 5-6 years.   But, Buck still amazes, especially on the extended Last Days of May.  The first time I got to see them was 2005, when Allan was still there, and they did play Harvester of Eyes and Astronomy.  Got to get Eric Bloom to sign my Secret Treaties after the show. 

Also, got a chance to see Albert was his band The Brain Surgeons in 2005.  Sadly, they were playing to (no exaggeration) four people by the end of the night, but I got to talk to him and get my copy of Secret Treaties signed. 

To be as great as they were and playing in bars...it's a crime.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2015, 08:20:04 PM »

I agree with all of these ^ posts. Those first five BOC albums are classics; Spectres was no slouch either. BOC was an enigma. Their early albums were all critically acclaimed and sold well; Agents Of Fortune even went platinum. I thought the success of "Don't Fear The Reaper" would propel them to the next level of popularity, but they kind of slowly faded away. "Burnin' For You" did get some exposure during the early days of MTV; the video got repeated plays. Buck Dharma is always near the top of my list of underrated musicians, though I have seen BOC mentioned as an influence for some of the metal bands. Buck Dharma was on MTV Classic's That Metal Show last year.   

I saw BOC at The Spectrum in Philadelphia in 1978. They were featuring a very impressive laser show at that time. I remember how Alan Lanier's keyboards were a prominent part of the live mix, moreso than the records. But for me, the highlight of the concert was when they lined up five guitarists in front of the stage and jammed to "Born To Be Wild". Those were the days...

KDS
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2015, 07:29:00 AM »

I agree with all of these ^ posts. Those first five BOC albums are classics; Spectres was no slouch either. BOC was an enigma. Their early albums were all critically acclaimed and sold well; Agents Of Fortune even went platinum. I thought the success of "Don't Fear The Reaper" would propel them to the next level of popularity, but they kind of slowly faded away. "Burnin' For You" did get some exposure during the early days of MTV; the video got repeated plays. Buck Dharma is always near the top of my list of underrated musicians, though I have seen BOC mentioned as an influence for some of the metal bands. Buck Dharma was on MTV Classic's That Metal Show last year.   

I saw BOC at The Spectrum in Philadelphia in 1978. They were featuring a very impressive laser show at that time. I remember how Alan Lanier's keyboards were a prominent part of the live mix, moreso than the records. But for me, the highlight of the concert was when they lined up five guitarists in front of the stage and jammed to "Born To Be Wild". Those were the days...

I don't think it's a coincidence that the first five studio albums were the only ones to get really nice reissues a few years back.  Although the Martin Birch produced albums in the early 80s were really good too. 

ABD, it was a shame seeing Albert Bouchard ten years ago, playing in a tiny bar to four people.  But it was cool to talk to him for a few minutes.  He and I talked a bit about the recently released Metallica Some Kind of Monster movie.  I wish I had, but I didn't really want to bring up BOC. 

I've seen BOC four times in the last ten years.   It's just Eric and Buck setting small festivals and county fairs on flame with rock and roll these days.  One of the best was a cold windy September day in 2011 at Ocean City Bike Fest.  Big crowd, great show.  The solo on Last Days of May was breathtaking.  Golden Age of Leather was very appropriate.  But I think the crowd was just politely waiting to air cowbell to The Reaper. 

It's a shame they've been reduced to a punch line, but the guys are really good sports about it.  At a 4th of July fair, Eric brought a kid on stage who brought a cowbell to the show, and let him play on Don't Fear the Reaper. 
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 05:39:10 PM »

I get the feeling that Mac Demarco likes to end his albums with a song that ends in him talking in the background. A little personal touch. It's usually pretty amusing.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
KDS
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2016, 08:13:02 PM »

The Who - Love Reign O'er Me (Quadrophenia)

Black Sabbath - Under the Sun (Vol 4)

Iron Maiden - Hallowed By Thy Name (Number of the Beast)

Brian Wilson - Southern California (That Lucky Old Sun)

The Beatles - A Day in the Life (Sgt. Pepper's)

Pink Floyd - Echoes (Meddle)

Ghost - Monstrance Clock (Infessisumum)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2016, 04:01:31 AM »

I get the feeling that Mac Demarco likes to end his albums with a song that ends in him talking in the background. A little personal touch. It's usually pretty amusing.

I've noticed that too! Along the lines of "drop by for a coffee if you're in town". And he sounds like he means it. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2016, 04:12:58 AM »

"The Rumor", the menacing last track on The Band's third album Stage Fright. The whole thing sounds malignant but the coupe de grāce is the trio of drum thumps at the end, like a death knell. Spooky stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Pt_ZkGg8I

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2016, 10:13:46 AM »

I've noticed that too! Along the lines of "drop by for a coffee if you're in town". And he sounds like he means it. :=)
He's spoken about how people have actually come over to his place. He doesn't mind it, and people are usually chill. Gotta love his free spirit!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2016, 02:59:25 PM »

"Shine Like Stars", the lullaby-like concluding track of the emotional roller-coaster that is Primal Scream's Screamadelica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi3L7zOkw7Y

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx