gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:53:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Love & Mercy" - Board member reviews and discussion  (Read 80202 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 06, 2016, 04:54:54 PM »

Pohlad could have had Brian yell and wave at her from the corner, like the way he yelled out her name to find her on their first date , but that might have been too comical for that moment in the movie. Walking out in front of the car is more dramatic, and does speak to the impulsive quality.
Brian's friend Ray Lawlor who used to post here said sth. to effect that everything in the film is real except Melinda's dress. The director discussed the script with her. Brian said that he did indeed walk out in front of Melinda's car. So it's not "dramatic" move. But you're right that some of the movie bits weren't accurate, f.ex. chronology of events such as Murry's selling of SOT etc.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Scaroline No
« Reply #351 on: October 06, 2016, 05:15:46 PM »

Pohlad could have had Brian yell and wave at her from the corner, like the way he yelled out her name to find her on their first date , but that might have been too comical for that moment in the movie. Walking out in front of the car is more dramatic, and does speak to the impulsive quality.
Brian's friend Ray Lawlor who used to post here said sth. to effect that everything in the film is real except Melinda's dress. The director discussed the script with her. Brian said that he did indeed walk out in front of Melinda's car.

...and there's that "oof". Thanks for clarifying.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 06, 2016, 06:40:57 PM »

I've seen the movie twice, and despite the fact I'm a Brianista to the max, I did not like it.  Paul Dano looks the part but to me his acting was bad bad bad, the studio scenes and after when Hal is telling him how great he is - he acts so tentative, like he's uncertain about what he's doing.  We know how confident and in control Brian was in the studio during Pet Sounds, but Dano doesn't play him like that at all, he's a complete wimp, unsure of himself.  He looks this way and that, trying to look distracted or withdrawn or a little "crazy" and you can see he's "acting" it doesn't ring true it's not believable.

The jumping back and forth between the PS/Smile and Lamdy eras was a horrible idea, it only confused things and added nothing to the story - just tell it in order ferchrissake.  I thought Cusak actually did a better job than Dano, the opposite of the accepted wisdom, and Banks did a great job as well, plus Giamotti was brilliant as Landy.  This was the better half of the movie but unfortunately it was all cut up and juxtaposed with the lame cliched scenes from PS and Smile.  I know this film was made with the best intentions from all involved but for me it was obvious and cliched and poorly acted and poorly constructed and written.  I really wanted to love it but didn't.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: October 06, 2016, 06:44:33 PM »

I've seen the movie twice, and despite the fact I'm a Brianista to the max, I did not like it.  Paul Dano looks the part but to me his acting was bad bad bad, the studio scenes and after when Hal is telling him how great he is - he acts so tentative, like he's uncertain about what he's doing.  We know how confident and in control Brian was in the studio during Pet Sounds, but Dano doesn't play him like that at all, he's a complete wimp, unsure of himself.  He looks this way and that, trying to look distracted or withdrawn or a little "crazy" and you can see he's "acting" it doesn't ring true it's not believable.

The jumping back and forth between the PS/Smile and Lamdy eras was a horrible idea, it only confused things and added nothing to the story - just tell it in order ferchrissake.  I thought Cusak actually did a better job than Dano, the opposite of the accepted wisdom, and Banks did a great job as well, plus Giamotti was brilliant as Landy.  This was the better half of the movie but unfortunately it was all cut up and juxtaposed with the lame cliched scenes from PS and Smile.  I know this film was made with the best intentions from all involved but for me it was obvious and cliched and poorly acted and poorly constructed and written.  I really wanted to love it but didn't.

I disagree about not liking it (hell, I love it) but I do agree that I prefer Cusack's performance...he NAILED it...from the walk, to little tics that he did, everything .

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 06, 2016, 07:02:29 PM »

That's the fun of reading reviews - different perception by different people.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: February 19, 2022, 03:13:05 AM »

In case anyone's interested, the movie will be shown tonight on german TV:

https://www.rbb-online.de/fernsehen/programm/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx