gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:31:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Love & Mercy" - Board member reviews and discussion  (Read 79757 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: June 25, 2015, 07:06:06 AM »

The only thing that could have topped it off would have been a cut away to Al Jardine as the Star Child.
LOL Perfect!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 25, 2015, 07:15:18 AM »

2. I mentioned this before, but in that cancelled session scene, Dano walks to a wall and puts his hands up to touch it, and it mimics almost exactly how the one of the apes reacted to the monolith in 2001 (touching the monolith in pure wonder with arms raised high). The film seemed to make homages to several past films/directors. I can't wait to get the Blu-ray to really study it.

I know exactly the part from 2001 you mean (it always startles me to the core) and I can absolutely see the connection that you are pointing out.

It's worth noting that I'm Not There, by the same screenwriter, had many nods to other films - most notably Fellini's early 60s work and also Jean Luc Godard.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 07:22:14 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 27, 2015, 03:56:35 AM »

Man having seen it for the second time in Edinburgh on Thursday it just gets better. I picked up on little nuances in the performances I didn't the first time, there are a few brief moments when the thought of Cusack playing a part left my mind and I could've sworn it was Brian up on that screen. Having seen it twice now I think Dano gives more of an 'immediate' performance but Cusack's is more subtle and will take a few viewings to fully sink in and be appreciated. 

If anyone here is able to get themselves to Edinburgh on Sunday the Odeon on Lothian Road is showing L&M at 6pm as it's the last day of the International Film Festival.
CoolWater
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 08, 2015, 09:31:21 AM »

Was sitting around thinking about 'The Meeting' as portrayed in the movie. Through the years I've spent probably too much idle time imaging being a fly on the wall when the band confronted Brian, Van Dyke walking out, Smile dying. The movie leans heavily toward depicting Brian as incapcitated/unabale (Rather than unwilling) at that pivotal moment of being able to defend the project, his vision, his partnership with Van Dyke, etc.

This is  the scene in the movie I feel most conflicted over. Was Brian  so out of it at that point of 1967 as to be unable to defend his masterpiece? I always imagined it was more he had tried, over and over, and finally faced with pressure from the label, and criticism and hostility from Mike, he was unwilling to defend it or perhaps was brow beaten to the point he didn't want to fight anymore, and caved, lacking the strong support from his brothers he needed. Or did he simply close him self off and refuse to deal with it at all, at that life defining moment, perhaps as a result of the onset of his mental illness and illicit drug use?

I'm interested to hear others take on this pivoltol moment in BB history and the scene in the movie, and hear how it compares with other sources,  other opinions.  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:46:41 AM by CoolWater » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 08, 2015, 10:12:12 AM »

There is an outtake where Brian says to Hal he can't make any more "weird music" because he's a father now.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 08, 2015, 11:37:12 AM »

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sight-sound-magazine/interviews/bill-pohlad-love-mercy?utm_content=buffer06a7e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Someone in the other thread mentioned a very positive review in Sight & Sound, this isn't the film review but a web exclusive interview with Bill Pohlad.  Also some other on-set photos I haven't seen anywhere else. 

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: July 08, 2015, 11:53:01 AM »

2. I mentioned this before, but in that cancelled session scene, Dano walks to a wall and puts his hands up to touch it, and it mimics almost exactly how the one of the apes reacted to the monolith in 2001 (touching the monolith in pure wonder with arms raised high). The film seemed to make homages to several past films/directors. I can't wait to get the Blu-ray to really study it.

Dude...don't even go there! I know very well that once the Blu-ray/DVD comes out, I'll never be able to watch that thing from start to finish again because the Mrs. will be constantly pausing it, reversing it, etc., to examine stuff that we didn't catch the (so far) three times we saw it in the theater...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 08, 2015, 12:07:30 PM »

Dude...don't even go there! I know very well that once the Blu-ray/DVD comes out, I'll never be able to watch that thing from start to finish again because the Mrs. will be constantly pausing it, reversing it, etc., to examine stuff that we didn't catch the (so far) three times we saw it in the theater...

LOL

But we're crazed fans, it's in our blood to do this stuff! Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 08, 2015, 03:16:58 PM »

Here's a strange name I remember seeing in the credits: Jonathan Paley (brother to Andy). Was he actually involved with the movie? IMDB says yes. A "Derek Taylor" is also credited as "production assistant".
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 08, 2015, 03:45:31 PM »

In the EPK he's listed as a Stunt Performer.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: July 08, 2015, 05:49:40 PM »

Was sitting around thinking about 'The Meeting' as portrayed in the movie. Through the years I've spent probably too much idle time imaging being a fly on the wall when the band confronted Brian, Van Dyke walking out, Smile dying. The movie leans heavily toward depicting Brian as incapcitated/unabale (Rather than unwilling) at that pivotal moment of being able to defend the project, his vision, his partnership with Van Dyke, etc.

This is  the scene in the movie I feel most conflicted over. Was Brian  so out of it at that point of 1967 as to be unable to defend his masterpiece? I always imagined it was more he had tried, over and over, and finally faced with pressure from the label, and criticism and hostility from Mike, he was unwilling to defend it or perhaps was brow beaten to the point he didn't want to fight anymore, and caved, lacking the strong support from his brothers he needed. Or did he simply close him self off and refuse to deal with it at all, at that life defining moment, perhaps as a result of the onset of his mental illness and illicit drug use?

I'm interested to hear others take on this pivoltol moment in BB history and the scene in the movie, and hear how it compares with other sources,  other opinions.  

Consider that they had to compress events that played out over several months and with more people involved into one scene to both symbolize and summarize that chapter of the story. There was so much symbolism in that one scene, both in the visuals and the dialogue, this will be one to rewind on DVD for sure. But consider that the swimming pool (or pools) play a heavy symbolic role throughout the entire film. And note too how carefully staged and shot that scene was as to be able to draw a conclusion about the mindsets of the people surrounding Brian simply by showing who was and wasn't in that pool, and where they were positioned in and out of the pool. If you took a snapshot of it, those with a working knowledge of the Smile history would be able to see the symbolism right away, and those who don't know quite as much of the story could draw conclusions from the visual alone.

That's solid filmmaking, I'd say, to be able to sum up for the storyline what could be perhaps the biggest mystery of the band's history, and to have it tie into the storyline. They couldn't have done too much beyond that because it wasn't a film focused squarely on the ins and outs of Smile, and if anything the film focuses more on Pet Sounds' creation and inner workings than Smile. If they cut it to allow perhaps 15 more minutes of content, then maybe more detail and more specifics could have been described.

Just watch the pool scenes after the meeting scene, and specifically listen to the collage of music that accompanies them on the soundtrack. The visuals combined with the audio are as emotional as anything in the film, especially for Smile fans, but it took multiple viewings for me to catch all of the amazing audio. Not a single edit of music is wasted, and it combines to help tell the story of the post-Smile period conceptually almost as poignantly as reading the histories which have been written.

And listen close to what Marilyn is saying to Brian from the house as he sits on the edge of what looks like a pool which has been left neglected and untouched and looks anything but clean enough to jump in. It's the brilliance of showing life's joy from one perspective and utter heartbreak and loss from another, and it's a crushing moment. Watch and listen to that scene closely. It's again near the end of the 60's scenes in the storyline.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 09, 2015, 05:54:40 AM »

Not sure if this has been discussed yet and it's a smallish thing but did anyone else find it odd that neither John nor Paul talked out one side of their mouths in their performances? Watch any Brian interview and you see it (this is nothing new to anyone on here obviously), it's not a subtle thing and I find it perplexing that neither actor did it, especially Cusack who is very much an actor's actor.

My only real disappointment with the film was how quickly Smile is dealt with and the non inclusion of the building fire after the Mrs o'Leary's Cow session. To me that track and the paranoia surrounding it is a pivotal point in Brian's breakdown.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 09, 2015, 06:01:46 AM »

Again, the fire episode is touched upon in a (poorly written) outtake.

In the EPK he's listed as a Stunt Performer.
Yeah, but is it really that Jonathan Paley? Mark Linett and Darian Sahanaja's involvement are not too surprising, but Andy Paley's brother seems out of nowhere, and for a strange credit too.
KDS
« Reply #313 on: July 09, 2015, 06:08:35 AM »

Not sure if this has been discussed yet and it's a smallish thing but did anyone else find it odd that neither John nor Paul talked out one side of their mouths in their performances? Watch any Brian interview and you see it (this is nothing new to anyone on here obviously), it's not a subtle thing and I find it perplexing that neither actor did it, especially Cusack who is very much an actor's actor.

My only real disappointment with the film was how quickly Smile is dealt with and the non inclusion of the building fire after the Mrs o'Leary's Cow session. To me that track and the paranoia surrounding it is a pivotal point in Brian's breakdown.

I thought I noticed Cusack doing it a couple times. 

The symbolism of pools/water has been discussed.  I might be late on this observation, but when Melinda first meets Brian in the car dealership, Brian mentions how the color blue is soothing. 

Maybe that's why I just bought a blue car. 
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 09, 2015, 06:19:30 AM »

I thought I noticed Cusack doing it a couple times. 

He did the facial tics and pauses well but never really did the side of mouth thing, Paul didn't do it at all.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 09, 2015, 06:50:28 AM »

And listen close to what Marilyn is saying to Brian from the house as he sits on the edge of what looks like a pool which has been left neglected and untouched and looks anything but clean enough to jump in. It's the brilliance of showing life's joy from one perspective and utter heartbreak and loss from another, and it's a crushing moment. Watch and listen to that scene closely. It's again near the end of the 60's scenes in the storyline.

This right here is why I spent too much time reading this board! Guitarfool you need to write your own book or something. I saw the film twice and know the scene well, knew Marilyn said the 'S' word but never made the connection to the album even though I got most of the symbolism.....unreal. There are so many subtle things like that going on in this film that you really do need to see it several times before it sinks in.

Another great scene that has not had much discussion is Melinda not saying one word when Landy is outside her office having a fit. The range of emotion from Banks through that scene is top notch acting. She did not say one word and you knew exactly what she was feeling. What Landy did he did to himself and he knew it, and that scene nailed it.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 09, 2015, 06:51:05 AM »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:26:17 AM by JCM » Logged

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 09, 2015, 06:58:08 AM »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:26:26 AM by JCM » Logged

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 10, 2015, 01:43:11 PM »

My full written review, on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3UC4LQDH0Q13N/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01127XNHQ

Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 10, 2015, 06:20:39 PM »

Well written review of an amazing film. Good work!
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 10, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sight-sound-magazine/interviews/bill-pohlad-love-mercy?utm_content=buffer06a7e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Someone in the other thread mentioned a very positive review in Sight & Sound, this isn't the film review but a web exclusive interview with Bill Pohlad.  Also some other on-set photos I haven't seen anywhere else.  

I want that Mustang. Did Brian drive a Shelby Mustang back then? In the Smile box set book, there is a photo of a Corvette and a Mustang in his garage, but it definitely wasn't a Shelby, whereas the Mustang in this photo has Shelby striping on the side (I'm a Mustang guy).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:24:33 PM by Misterlou » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: July 10, 2015, 10:42:46 PM »

Snapped this in downtown Olympia, WA the other day:

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:50:40 PM by DonnyL » Logged

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 10, 2015, 11:53:43 PM »

That's a beautiful theatre! Did you see the movie there, too?

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 11, 2015, 05:02:27 AM »

I want that Mustang. Did Brian drive a Shelby Mustang back then? In the Smile box set book, there is a photo of a Corvette and a Mustang in his garage, but it definitely wasn't a Shelby, whereas the Mustang in this photo has Shelby striping on the side (I'm a Mustang guy).

It sure is a beautiful car.  I too am kind of a Mustang guy.  I don't recall this exterior shot in the movie.  Nor do I recall Paul Dano in that exact wardrobe.  Maybe another deleted scene or flashback?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: July 11, 2015, 05:41:35 AM »

A "Derek Taylor" is also credited as "production assistant".

Doubt it's the Derek Taylor: he died nearly 18 years ago.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx