gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:59:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Love & Mercy" - Board member reviews and discussion  (Read 79778 times)
shadownoze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 20, 2015, 06:19:17 PM »

He said that he was after Seth Rogen to play 70s Brian...

Oh, man, how grateful we all should be that this plan never came to pass!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 20, 2015, 06:40:29 PM »

Just got back from seeing it -- what an odd film!

My reaction is based on the choice to do a split portrayal of Brian. Dano was brilliant and totally convincing in my opinion. I thought Cusack (who is one of my favorite actors) did a good job, but he didn't convince me that he was playing the same person 20 years later. So it felt to me like the film was telling two different stories about two different men instead of about one man.

The studio recreations are fantastic. I've taken a tour of the actual studio Brian used, and it's a tiny space! They did such a great job of showing real musicians working that space.

I was happy with the portrayals of Carl and Dennis, right down to Carl's ubiquitous shades. And I loved that little grace note of Dennis at the piano. I thought Marilyn was treated quite well too. Landy was totally slimy, which is what I expected from Giamatti (who plays slimy quite well).

This movie, as odd as it is, is definitely an improvement on its two made-for-tv predecessors, imho.

I have yet to see it, and sad to say, I will be unable to see it until it comes out on DVD.

That said, Cusack mentioned in one of the interviews that when he met Brian before filming started, he noticed that when Brian talked about his past, he would seem detached and dispassionate. Almost as if he was talking about a completely different person and not himself. When I first became a fan (during the Landy era, as a matter of fact) I had a hard time believing that the weird, strange older guy was the same guy from the early-to-mid 60's pictures of the BB. That, probably influenced Cusack in how he portrayed middle-aged Brian. Plus, Pohlad deliberately kept Cusack and Dano apart for most of the shoot so that they wouldn't be able to compare notes on how they played Brian. For the artistic intent, there had to be two different Brians.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 21, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »

I liked it very much as a movie and I think it set's a new benchmark for bio pics. The period detail was outstanding and the studio recreations will have you calling a doctor because your fanboy (and fangirl) boner will last much more than four hours. I liked Dano's performance less and Cusack's more than I expected going in but both did an outstanding job.  Loved Elizabeth Banks and really all of the actors. Outstanding soundtrack and, well, pretty much everything.

It has heart for days. It was more sympathetic and less sympathetic at the same time toward those involved in many ways than other biopics. If you are expecting accuracies in every plot point you might be a little disappointed but overall it is a well told movie.   

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 21, 2015, 05:20:20 PM »

This past weekend was the 'wide' release, 792 theaters, up from previous 580 (rough) 480 (rough) the previous two weekends in 'limited' release. As an estimate it apparently made just about what it made last weekend, while still in 'limited' release.

I suspect we may be on the downward side of the theatrical run for LOVE & MERCY, at least in the U.S.  Probably another 2 weeks or so and the wait for Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital begins.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 21, 2015, 05:31:12 PM »

I saw it again with my fabulous wife for a 3rd time! The opening musical score reduced me to tears again. If that is how Brian hears the songs in his head, then I feel truly honoured to be able to appreciate his music as much as I do.

This viewing has had me swelling with emotion long after we left the cinema.

It is by far my favourite bio pic. I will be getting this on bluray the day it comes out.

Oh man do I hope there is an OST for this.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:32:11 PM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 21, 2015, 05:48:42 PM »

That's awesome that you're wife accompanied you a 3rd time.  I've now seen L&M 4 times, unfortunately haven't been able to talk my wife into going.  This past Friday night we went out for our 15th wedding anniversary (coming up on the 24th) and I had basically worn her down to finally see L&M with me.  I just wanted to share the experience, since she knows how much BW's music means to me, etc. 

She stopped off at Lady Foot Locker to buy some new sneakers for her workout class and I made a split decision, I know she didn't want to go see L&M and was just going for me...and that she REALLY wanted to see INSIDE OUT.  So, I surprised her.  Happy wife, happy life.

I agree about the OST...  it will be such a missed opportunity if there isn't a score/soundtrack for L&M.  But I'm just a dude, not someone who knows the commercial appeal of such a thing.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 21, 2015, 08:21:46 PM »

Funniest line from Dano as Brian -- "Surfers don't even like our music!"  To which "Dennis" adds -- "they don't."  Hilarious.

Loved the film.  Quibble -- Giamatti's scenery chewing as Landy.  Of the three "villains," Mike Love I think is the most fairly presented.  His qualms and fears at least come from a specific even rational even loving point of view.  Enjoyed the writing of GV scene as well as all the record making scenes.  Murray is somewhere in between but feel they could have humanized him a little more (the bathrobe is a nod to Murry's own bed stuck depression?).  Landy is a cartoon.

Where was Audree?

I think the movie is clearly also a love story and one of redemption.  Obviously in this case it is the story Brian Wilson and Melinda Ledbetter get to tell.

Visuals, audio, editing astounding.  Dano and Cusack wonderful.  Great directing choices down the line.  As so many have said, it raises the biopic bar.  The person I saw it with loved it and she is only peripherally aware of the Brian saga.  Definitely look forward to the "extras."

Another amazing gift us hardcore fans have received.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 08:24:02 PM by Aum Bop Diddit » Logged

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 22, 2015, 02:57:34 AM »

I think it's worth adding that, according to friends of mine who'd know, the schizo- portions were depicted very realistically. One friend who is bipolar schizoaffective (same diagnosis as Brian) told me that it was the most "spot-on" of any film he can remember.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 22, 2015, 09:25:34 AM »

He didn't say that. He was coy about giving a name but mentioned the late Philip Seymour Hoffman as someone who he'd thought about for 70s era Brian.

What a film though. Really moving with great performances all round and the sound design with all the different fragments of harmonies and voices really needs to be experienced with a multi-speaker setup.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: June 22, 2015, 12:14:46 PM »

Where was Audree?

Montage early in the film. She and Murry are off in the wings at a show.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
WonderfulLittlePad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 22, 2015, 12:30:57 PM »

Saw it for a second time on Saturday.  Man, I think I enjoyed it better the second time around.  Great film all the way around.  Only thing I would want to see is a picture of Brian working in the studios during the 60s and a picture of present day Brian and Melinda at the end.  The Love and Mercy closeout to the film was awesome, but I feel like a lot of people feel like Taylor is Melinda.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 22, 2015, 01:29:25 PM »

I'm glad they didn't use someone for the 70's Brian because the far away footage of him laying in bed,faceless, says a lot!!!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 22, 2015, 03:37:47 PM »

He didn't say that. He was coy about giving a name but mentioned the late Philip Seymour Hoffman as someone who he'd thought about for 70s era Brian.

What a film though. Really moving with great performances all round and the sound design with all the different fragments of harmonies and voices really needs to be experienced with a multi-speaker setup.

Thank you, I got the names mixed up. You are correct. My bad!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 22, 2015, 03:55:16 PM »

Saw it for a second time on Saturday.  Man, I think I enjoyed it better the second time around.  Great film all the way around.  Only thing I would want to see is a picture of Brian working in the studios during the 60s and a picture of present day Brian and Melinda at the end.  The Love and Mercy closeout to the film was awesome, but I feel like a lot of people feel like Taylor is Melinda.

I don't think people would make that assumption.  Never does the movie suggest Melinda has any musical talent so I don't think people would come to the conclusion of her being his backup singer.  Plus the movie makes Brian and Melinda out to be more or less the same age while Taylor is clearly much younger than him in that clip.  I do wish they had shot a new concert sequence of Love and Mercy especially for the film instead of using nearly 13 year old footage from the Pet Sounds Live show (though it is cool to see it as it wasn't on the Pet Sounds Live DVD).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 04:20:27 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 22, 2015, 09:45:58 PM »

Finally got to see this yesterday. A very powerful film, well done all the way round. Certain scenes have continued to come back into my thoughts all through the day. All I can say is "God bless Brian Wilson."
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 23, 2015, 12:26:42 AM »

Ufff...
Got to see L&M 2 days ago and I´m still under spell from this GORGEOUS movie! There were 8 of us in the theater, mind you it was 22:15h play but that didn´t  bother me at all!
The scenes with Dano are so well done, my wife at first thought (in the opening scenes) it was Brian himself, that it was some kind of documentary. Cusack was also great, deeply touching... Banks great!
The scenes in studio were so joyfull (at least for the Pet sounds), so great to see something like this..
2 hors wnet by so fast and of course Im going to see it again, this time by myself so I can absorbe all beauty ...
And to see Brian sing L&M at the end, well what I can say tears ran down my face without control..
Since I´m Smile freak I wish they gave us some of of the Smile studio scenes, but hey there will be DVD so we can hopefully enjoy these deleted scenes there, like these:

"Dinner party guests silverware and glass music "session", with Brian chanting over the "cacaphony"
Heroes and Villains (Brian and VDP work composing session)
Smile montage (Columbia):
a. Heroes and Villains (Brian demonstrates to group on piano)
b. Beach Boys harmonize on “Prelude”
c. Session musicians playing kazoos, toy whistles, bells and various childhood instruments
d. Brian piano theme, which “deteriorates as the take comes to an end and the notes played become random and jumbled.”

Hopefully...
WonderfulLittlePad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 23, 2015, 06:35:33 AM »

Saw it for a second time on Saturday.  Man, I think I enjoyed it better the second time around.  Great film all the way around.  Only thing I would want to see is a picture of Brian working in the studios during the 60s and a picture of present day Brian and Melinda at the end.  The Love and Mercy closeout to the film was awesome, but I feel like a lot of people feel like Taylor is Melinda.

I don't think people would make that assumption.  Never does the movie suggest Melinda has any musical talent so I don't think people would come to the conclusion of her being his backup singer.  Plus the movie makes Brian and Melinda out to be more or less the same age while Taylor is clearly much younger than him in that clip.  I do wish they had shot a new concert sequence of Love and Mercy especially for the film instead of using nearly 13 year old footage from the Pet Sounds Live show (though it is cool to see it as it wasn't on the Pet Sounds Live DVD).

Well my girlfriend and her daughter both thought that was Melinda as you can't really see Taylor singing and only see her as they are taking a bow.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 23, 2015, 08:37:12 PM »

Saw it for a fifth time this morning, this time at a different theater for a change.  All of my viewings have been at AMC theaters.  This one I went to today had reclining leather seats, that was a nice change of pace.

I was looking on some movie site and as of Friday I think the movie will be down to 2 theaters in my city (from the peak of 6, this past weekend). 

Pretty sure I'll go back for at least one more viewing before it is completely gone.  This morning already marked the most times I've seen a film in a theater.  Previous personal record was THE THIN RED LINE in 1999, 4 times.

Shocked

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 24, 2015, 12:26:14 AM »

Best biopic I've ever seen of a musician, better than Ray, IMO, mostly because Brian himself means more to me as a person than Ray Charles did. But it's also very musical, much more so than other movies about music. I think a lot of it would work as a movie with just music. Heck, a lot of it did.

I think for pure Beach Boys fandom the 60's studio scenes are the most exciting, but the story with Brian and Melinda was just as captivating and they blended them both beautifully. This movie really was a love letter to Beach Boys fans and is just an amazing film.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
bluesno1fann
« Reply #294 on: June 24, 2015, 04:41:04 AM »

Gonna see it tomorrow (which is the day Love And Mercy comes out in Australia) with my girlfriend, who likes The Beach Boys as well. I am so excited, it's a shame that it's only playing in selected theaters instead of being given a general release.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 24, 2015, 12:02:54 PM »

Saw it for a fifth time this morning, this time at a different theater for a change.  All of my viewings have been at AMC theaters.  This one I went to today had reclining leather seats, that was a nice change of pace.

I was looking on some movie site and as of Friday I think the movie will be down to 2 theaters in my city (from the peak of 6, this past weekend). 

Pretty sure I'll go back for at least one more viewing before it is completely gone.  This morning already marked the most times I've seen a film in a theater.  Previous personal record was THE THIN RED LINE in 1999, 4 times.

Shocked

That's insane, in a good way. I saw it twice, one week apart, in the same theater but the second time they moved it to another screening room that was inferior. The sound was not the same quality and the screen was smaller to the point that the image was cropped. It was really unfortunate but who are you going to complain to.

The latest rotten tomatoes numbers seem to have leveled off at about 90% approval between critic and audience. Better than I would have assumed last year when we heard about it.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #296 on: June 25, 2015, 02:16:45 AM »

Just saw the film. It really was amazing, lived up to all its hype. Very intense too, particularly the 'Til I Die sequence. Both Dano (who my girlfriend said looked so much like Brian. She loved the film BTW, and said she needs to get into The Beach Boys more) and Cusack were perfectly cast as Brian, and it gave me the chills when I saw the scene with Brian completely drugged up on the piano with Landy yelling at him - that fucking scumbag. Very disturbing.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 25, 2015, 06:26:03 AM »

Saw the film last week and loved it.

In a funny coincidence, the same night I was in a NYC theater watching the film, Nate Ruess was playing live at a club right around the corner. "It felt like the stars had aligned..."

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 25, 2015, 06:59:11 AM »

A couple of things that I'm not sure whether or not they've been pointed out already:

1. I'm choosing to read the scene where Dano cancels the session because of bad vibes as a filmic representation of Surf's Up going unfinished. It looks like a big string section that is being sent home. Is it possible that what we're being shown is the recording session for Surf's Up section 2 being cancelled? Maybe not, but that's how I'm choosing to understand it.

2. From a filmic point of view, anyone notice the nods to 2001: A Space Odyssey? The fade out intro with the sounds and, especially, the moments near the end of Cusack in bed with visions. Watching it with friends, we were sure that Cusack was going to reach out to a large monolith on the other side of the room at any moment. The only thing that could have topped it off would have been a cut away to Al Jardine as the Star Child.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 25, 2015, 07:05:40 AM »

A couple of things that I'm not sure whether or not they've been pointed out already:

1. I'm choosing to read the scene where Dano cancels the session because of bad vibes as a filmic representation of Surf's Up going unfinished. It looks like a big string section that is being sent home. Is it possible that what we're being shown is the recording session for Surf's Up section 2 being cancelled? Maybe not, but that's how I'm choosing to understand it.

2. From a filmic point of view, anyone notice the nods to 2001: A Space Odyssey? The fade out intro with the sounds and, especially, the moments near the end of Cusack in bed with visions. Watching it with friends, we were sure that Cusack was going to reach out to a large monolith on the other side of the room at any moment. The only thing that could have topped it off would have been a cut away to Al Jardine as the Star Child.

1. Flippin great point and something I never even thought of. I kept wondering what session that could be, but couldn't think of any song on Smile that involved that many string players. Surf's Up part II would fit that bill perfectly.

2. I mentioned this before, but in that cancelled session scene, Dano walks to a wall and puts his hands up to touch it, and it mimics almost exactly how the one of the apes reacted to the monolith in 2001 (touching the monolith in pure wonder with arms raised high). The film seemed to make homages to several past films/directors. I can't wait to get the Blu-ray to really study it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx