gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:10:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Love & Mercy" - Board member reviews and discussion  (Read 79765 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 18, 2015, 11:21:38 AM »

NPR's Fresh Air ran a discussion with Oren Moverman on Love & Mercy today. They also ran parts of a late '80s interview with Brian. Here's the link to listen and download:
http://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/

Haven't seen the movie yet, but it's opening in town tomorrow. Think I'll go see it on Saturday.  Grin

see an early show, they're generally less crowded

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 18, 2015, 11:32:07 AM »

NPR's Fresh Air ran a discussion with Oren Moverman on Love & Mercy today. They also ran parts of a late '80s interview with Brian. Here's the link to listen and download:
http://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/

Haven't seen the movie yet, but it's opening in town tomorrow. Think I'll go see it on Saturday.  Grin

Thanks! I am so glad to hear the movie finally made it down your way. Enjoy! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 18, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »

Today onNPR show fresh air with Terry Gross:    Oren Moverman interview re Love and Mercy along with re airing of previous Fresh Air Brian interviews.    some will be on podcast as well.

Happy listening
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 18, 2015, 12:27:30 PM »

Finally getting around to posting my 2 cents....have seen it twice now. At this stage in the game I can't add much to what has already been discussed at length. In the latest crazy thread (the myth one) a guy named Ron posted something about "movies" never being as good as the "book". There is a bit of truth to that statement regarding this movie. However, that falls on us hardcore fans and not the film itself. I think knowing TOO much about the history of Brian Wilson did/does skew my perspective of the film somewhat. Seeing too many clips prior to the actual viewing of the movie also was a bad idea in hindsight. That being said I liked it very much and would give it a solid thumbs up. I'm still not sure it was as brilliant a piece of work as many critics and fellow Smiley Smilers feel it was, but still a way better than average movie and probably as good a biopic as one could hope to make. Probably.

Can't remember where its from or who said it but there is a belief out there that for a movie to be great and succeed you only need one great scene or two and the audience will walk away happy. The "faking it" scene in When Harry Met Sally is a prime example. This film had many of those great scenes and two incredible ones.

Incredible scene #1

The opening. Brilliant ...stunning,...awesome. What an incredible freakin' way to introduce the audience to Brian. Keep in mind...the audience. Not Smiley Smilers. When Dano says " I think I've got the music part, it's like a cry but a happy cry" and the screen goes black for a decent length as the sounds and music flow in. That scene right there deserves an award.

Incredible scene #2

The Cusak lying in bed sequence. Left me speechless even after seeing it twice. The first time I saw it  I did not even notice In My Room was playing. The imagery was so awesome I honestly was stunned when I saw it the second time 2 days ago, and heard In My Room playing. And wow ....just wow...did I say WOW...the symbolism when the shot of Brian, Carl and Denny flicks by and Denny is gone, having literally and figuratively gone over the edge. Did you notice the body of water down there in the initial scene when Denny had his back to the camera. Another award for that scene/sequence as well.

I could go on and on but most of us have seen it now. Some gripes were sort of legit but any inaccuracies or gripes even if warranted are far out numbered by the great things in this film.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 18, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »

Thanks for the head's up, I'm looking forward to listening.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 18, 2015, 12:47:35 PM »

Incredible scene #1

The opening. Brilliant ...stunning,...awesome. What an incredible freakin' way to introduce the audience to Brian. Keep in mind...the audience. Not Smiley Smilers. When Dano says " I think I've got the music part, it's like a cry but a happy cry" and the screen goes black for a decent length as the sounds and music flow in. That scene right there deserves an award.

Pretty sure this scene is pulled from a later sequence where Brian is talking to Tony Asher about whatever song (I think "You Still Believe in Me") but they trimmed it down to the point where its just what you see.  I agree it works great.

Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 18, 2015, 03:57:31 PM »

I've seen the film twice now.  As a Beach Boys fan, I'm so thankful that a quality, artful and thoughtful film has been made that I can point friends to and say "this is why I love this music so much."  Taking the whole film into account, I was very happy with it.

FAVORITES:

Cusack did better than I expected.  I thought he really captured current Brian well.  I was nervous at first, but he knocked it out of the park.

The score was amazing.  I'll be very disappointed if the soundtrack is never released.

Dano did a very good job at capturing younger Brian's spirit.  When I first saw the GV session film footage a few years ago I was hoping that "that Brian" would be portrayed well on film, if the film ever happened.

The film editing was more artful than I was expecting, especially the montage at the end.  That sequence stayed with me long after I saw the movie.  

The studio scenes were an absolute joy to watch - especially GV!  The 360 degree shot was perfect.

Even though they had minor parts, I really enjoyed how Carl and Dennis were portrayed.  They were written and acted well.  That was an unexpected surprise.

The attention to clothes and environments was excellent.  I know that the actual Western location was used.  Does anyone know if any other locations were filmed at the historical locations?

I think Mike was portrayed very fairly.  I actually feel like I understood his motivations better as a result of how he was presented in the film.  I'm hoping that Mike can understand that if he ever ends up seeing the film.  I think the film actually helps his image rather than hurt it.

MINOR COMPLAINTS:

Most of the historical inaccuracies didn't really bother me, except for one - the GOK session.  I'm going off of memory here, but I think they only showed half or 2/3 of the musicians in the room as were actually there.  Bruce was in the booth during that session and described how the players were almost sitting on each other.  And if I remember correctly, there were no string players portrayed in that scene.  I think the string part in GOK is one of the high points of Brian's career.  To feature the song in the film without including that was somewhat disappointing.  It also would have made a great visual stressing Brian's relentless pursuit of musical perfection by showing him cramming as many musicians into that studio as he could.

I thought there could have been longer or more studio scenes.  Maybe take one more PS track and give it the same treatment that they gave GV.  And maybe one more Smile track - like the session for DYLW or something.

I think Dano was just slightly more childlike in his conversation and mannerisms (at times) that Brian really was.  But just slightly.  He really did an excellent job.

I would have liked to see even a brief clip of Tony Asher composing with Brain at Brian's house - Brian still asleep when Asher showed up in the late morning, or Brian wanting to watch Flipper first and crying at the end of the episode, or a conversation between them before Brian would start playing his feels at the piano.

And as a fan fantasy, I would have loved to see a BW film just focusing on 1965 - 1971.  I think showing Brian slowly retreating from the world while still composing some amazing stuff intermittently would have been interesting to see.  But I understand that in doing so you don't get a very good perspective on his life as a whole, so I understand the route that they took.

I'm hoping that the Blu Ray will include all of the deleted scenes!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 05:32:47 PM by Pet Sounder » Logged
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 18, 2015, 11:01:53 PM »

^ Thanks for the link! I've been meaning to listen to more npr...

On the topic of rising album sales, I went into a record store earlier this week and there were no Beach Boys albums! Good for my wallet, i guess. And I'm gonna take it as a sign that people are re-gaining interest in them! Smiley

There was also a large BWPS poster on the wall. Whoever works there has good music taste.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 19, 2015, 07:01:59 AM »

Now that we know that the original script contained scenes set in the '70s, what actor could have played circa-1970s/overweight Brian?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 19, 2015, 07:05:50 AM »

Now that we know that the original script contained scenes set in the '70s, what actor could have played circa-1970s/overweight Brian?

Zach Galifianakis

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:13:02 AM by marcusb » Logged
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 19, 2015, 07:54:27 AM »

According to BoxOfficeMojo, LOVE & MERCY is now in 792 theaters.  That's up from roughly 580 theaters last week.

There was a poster in Baton Rouge that was hoping the film would play there, it is now playing in 2 theaters in Baton Rouge, LA.

http://www.fandango.com/love26mercy_181116/movietimes?location=70801

curth
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 19, 2015, 08:27:19 AM »

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1069362_10200769145189689_1704556823_n.jpg?oh=e0978fda9f09823ccf343f11f70a7ac9&oe=55E880B4

I saw this on the Imagination List. Don't know how to post a pic here, but the guy in the pic is the guy you see laying in bed twice in L&M. His name is Jeff Holman. He is listed in the IMDB credits as Brian "Present". The pic is from his Facebook page.Must feel like crap having been cut out of the movie.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:32:06 AM by curth » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: June 19, 2015, 08:28:17 AM »

I think that other than the bedroom glimpses, the 70s scenes were cut out at the script stage and not actually filmed. Nice job sleeping tho, Holman. Pretty intense shots, huh?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:29:24 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
WonderfulLittlePad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 19, 2015, 09:40:32 AM »

According to BoxOfficeMojo, LOVE & MERCY is now in 792 theaters.  That's up from roughly 580 theaters last week.

There was a poster in Baton Rouge that was hoping the film would play there, it is now playing in 2 theaters in Baton Rouge, LA.

http://www.fandango.com/love26mercy_181116/movietimes?location=70801

Yep, very happy.  Going to the morning show at the Mall tomorrow.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 19, 2015, 09:58:26 AM »

I knew it!  Thanks for finding this.  I didn't think it was either Dano or Cusack.  And in the script it refers to Brian Past, Brian Present and Brian Future.  Brian Present is the 1970s.  It's interesting to me that Dano's scenes are all book-ended (with the exception of the very opening scene) by the two shots of Brian laying in bed at the Bel Air house.

As I have mentioned before in my random stream of consciousness postings about LOVE & MERCY, those two shots convey such a heaviness and gravity that we know the person we are seeing is in a very bad place and has been through "it".  It's just enough of a peak to know that I think it's wise that Pohlad/Moverman decided not to continue to strip away and pair down the film to shape it into what we have in theaters now.  Seeing Brian in the 1970s might've been way too painful.

BTW I don't think he was cut out of the movie.  I think by the time shooting commenced the intention was to do what you see.  Show Brian Present (1970s) as basically catatonic.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:00:54 AM by JCM » Logged

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 19, 2015, 10:02:31 AM »

I think that other than the bedroom glimpses, the 70s scenes were cut out at the script stage and not actually filmed. Nice job sleeping tho, Holman. Pretty intense shots, huh?

So intense!  When I saw the first one, during the 1st screening I attended, I was like THEY DID IT!  I knew the film was going to be a home run.

WonderfulLittlePad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 19, 2015, 10:18:39 AM »

Seeing Brian in the 1970s might've been way too painful.

[/quote]

Plus the audience may not feel much sympathy for a man who was eating, drinking, sleeping and doing drugs for a 3 plus years.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 19, 2015, 12:42:49 PM »

Well then..... Mr. Holman is an unsung hero in the film. Not sure if everyone got it, but the people that are members here sure did. As JCM has been saying, so much of the story in this film is in the details. That shot of Brian in bed was worth a thousand words and then some. One of the reasons I found the film especially disturbing the first time was due to shots like that where it felt like you were back in time and actually in the room with Brian, The Beach Boys, ect.

When Brian is in the car with Melinda and Brian says "no he's not my friend, he's my body guard" that was another moment when you felt like you were really there in the backseat. Actually that whole scene was great as so much of the film is.

I hope there is a directors cut and not just deleted scenes as bonus material.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 19, 2015, 04:56:31 PM »

I've just booked a ticket for the UK premier in Edinburgh.  20th of June, a very appropriate day to see a film about Brian's life.

I couldn't wait for general release in July! Grin
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 19, 2015, 05:52:32 PM »

20th of June, a very appropriate day to see a film about Brian's life.

Yup! That's exactly why I'm going to see it tomorrow instead of tonight.  Cool
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 19, 2015, 07:48:30 PM »

Found this.  Too bad I can't read Japanese.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: June 20, 2015, 05:19:43 AM »

I saw it yesterday.

It really is a very good movie! My expectations were fo course quite high after reading this board and the articles.

A few notes from me:

- I don't like Dano's singing, it is quite pitchy at times. That of course works quite well when "Brian" plays a song not in a recording setting (God Only Knows) but Surf's Up didn't do it for me and also the times his voice was used in mix with the original recordings. That said, I want to mention that his acting was fantastic! He even walked liked Brian!

- Of course the snippets and mixes of Beach Boys recordings was cool. Mike's isolated 'til I die, Carl's acapella Good Vibrations (they had Brian singing the Asher lyrics, which in reality was also Carl btw), I believe the early pre-Pet Sounds sequence had Brian's single tracked lead of Don't Worry Baby.

- The way the movie jumps between the 60s and 80s could've been irritating but works really well.

- Dennis' moves playing drums on stage looked a little goofy.

- The Mike-Brian confrontation(s) were more or less just as I always thought they did happen back then. Now, I wasn't there but to me this looks very realistic and it doesn't blame anyone for any wrong decision or opinion.

- Apart from the main characters whose actors did a great job, I also liked the other cast. Marylin and Carl were almost perfect imo. Mike of course has MUCH too much hair but when wearing a cap it doesn't matter. Murry was casted very well, too. In fact his role was so in each of the three bigger Beach Boy-movies (Summer Dreams, An American Family, Love&Mercy). But I guess my favorite Murry will remain Arlen Dean Snyder from Summer Dreams.

- Naturally I saw the german udbbing. These things can destroy a movie but thankfully it was very well done. It sounds funny though as a german accented Mike was citing the lyrics to "Hang on to your ego". I am looking forward to the DVD and seeing the movie with it's original dubbing.

The ending Love&Mercy performance, where does it come from? Is it the performance from "Brian Wilson On Tour"? I haven't seen that in a long time
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:03:03 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 20, 2015, 03:16:25 PM »

Just got back from seeing it -- what an odd film!

My reaction is based on the choice to do a split portrayal of Brian. Dano was brilliant and totally convincing in my opinion. I thought Cusack (who is one of my favorite actors) did a good job, but he didn't convince me that he was playing the same person 20 years later. So it felt to me like the film was telling two different stories about two different men instead of about one man.

The studio recreations are fantastic. I've taken a tour of the actual studio Brian used, and it's a tiny space! They did such a great job of showing real musicians working that space.

I was happy with the portrayals of Carl and Dennis, right down to Carl's ubiquitous shades. And I loved that little grace note of Dennis at the piano. I thought Marilyn was treated quite well too. Landy was totally slimy, which is what I expected from Giamatti (who plays slimy quite well).

This movie, as odd as it is, is definitely an improvement on its two made-for-tv predecessors, imho.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:27:13 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 20, 2015, 04:42:46 PM »

Just been at the UK Premier in Edinburgh. What a fabulous film, I shed a few tears.  The end performance of Love and Mercy by Brian was a great touch.

A surprise was that Bill Pohlad was there with his son who played child Brian.  Bill did a Q and A afterward!  He said that he was after Seth Rogen to play 70s Brian but after speaking with Brian and Melinda felt that more focus would be on the development of 80s Brian, with little time to do 70s Brian.  The Pet Sounds era and SMiLE decline was also a must do.

He also said it was difficult to find anyone who had anything positive to say about Landy.  And that Mike Love reacted probably the way a lot of people would have done in the same situation.  He also said Brian could be inconsistent sometimes when he was trying to get info from him, but that we're all capable of that too.  He mentioned a script had been flying around Hollywood for years called, "Heroes and Villains" but they asked the scriptwriters to re-do it as it was just your usual biopic stuff.  It was only then they decided to make it.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 20, 2015, 04:56:34 PM »

Something I forgot to mention, the art house cinema was giving away both postcard and poster versions of the movie one-sheet art to patrons. I got a couple of each.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx