gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:04:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Love & Mercy" - Board member reviews and discussion  (Read 79768 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2015, 09:53:27 PM »

Who says Brian can offer very little info from his point of view ? 

From recent interviews it seems Melinda has retained much more info about the Landy years than BW is willing to discuss. Melinda is also responsible for just about everything in the '80s portions according to Pohlad and Moverman.

Let me ask you this: How many scenes in the film with Paul G's Landy character do not have Elizabeth Banks in the same scenes? Meaning, how many scenes with Landy involved are speculations of what happened behind closed doors versus an eyewitness account of someone who witnessed this stuff as it happened?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2015, 09:57:12 PM »

Just got home from seeing the film. My only complaint is that it felt too much like a movie about Melinda to me. Great acting by all involved but the later years all seemed based on Melindas experience. Maybe if the early years had been based on Marilyn's experiences it might have balanced it out? My other takeaway was that this was probably not the best week for me to release a Murry Wilson tribute single. Fresh wounds...

A Murry Wilson tribute, really?

On a related note, I've been trying to get David Hasselhoff's people on the phone to get him on board with a musical tribute to the former East Germany, but they're not returning my calls.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2015, 10:08:34 PM »

Who says Brian can offer very little info from his point of view ? 

From recent interviews it seems Melinda has retained much more info about the Landy years than BW is willing to discuss. Melinda is also responsible for just about everything in the '80s portions according to Pohlad and Moverman.
key word is WILLING, not able. If he is more comfortable with Melinda discussing it, well, that is his prerogative.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2015, 10:29:59 PM »

How many scenes in the film with Paul G's Landy character do not have Elizabeth Banks in the same scenes?
Like... none?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2015, 10:35:16 PM »

How many scenes in the film with Paul G's Landy character do not have Elizabeth Banks in the same scenes?
Like... none?

Exactly. So you're basically getting the story directly from the only other person who was actually there to tell it for many of the events that played out on the screen. So what's the issue with who is telling the story if there is one? Landy was an asshole and acted like one, case closed.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2015, 11:22:13 PM »

There is no issue except, as I already said, it makes for a worse film. I don't think it could have been told any other way though. Banks kind of represents the audience's perspective. Maybe she was a miscast. Her moments were the only times I felt a drag; I remember the friend I went with kept nudging me to say 'I wish they'd go back to '60s Brian.' Everything else was perfect.
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2015, 05:28:37 AM »

So you're basically getting the story directly from the only other person who was actually there to tell it for many of the events that played out on the screen. So what's the issue with who is telling the story if there is one? Landy was an asshole and acted like one, case closed.

I don't think anyone is defending Landy, his henchmen (who go nameless), the absent extended Wilson family and BB's etc. Half the film is about Brian's lean years as recalled by many, half is Melindas story, as recalled by Melinda. I don't dispute that she potentially saved his soul, I'm just saying it felt forced and a bit empty to me. Yes, she was the only one actually there for the Melinda story. There were enough others there for a deeper tale that didn't make the cut. I get it. It's Hollywood. I don't care all that much, as we all expect to see as palatable a story as possible from big studios. Just didn't grab me personally the way I hoped it would.
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2015, 05:41:46 AM »

Just got home from seeing the film. My only complaint is that it felt too much like a movie about Melinda to me. Great acting by all involved but the later years all seemed based on Melindas experience. Maybe if the early years had been based on Marilyn's experiences it might have balanced it out? My other takeaway was that this was probably not the best week for me to release a Murry Wilson tribute single. Fresh wounds...

On a related note, I've been trying to get David Hasselhoff's people on the phone to get him on board with a musical tribute to the former East Germany, but they're not returning my calls.

Yup, really. Im not from the BB camp that flags participants in the legacy as either purely good or purely bad. I think it's a shame there are so few Murry compositions on record for posterity. He was a key player in creating the band as we know them.

Your Hasselhoff project sounds less challenging than trying to unearth the Murry canon of failed sheets, to be honest. Two Step was an easy target as Guy Lombardo had sheets released through Guild and BMI, but there are many more failed Murry compositions people will likely never hear.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2015, 06:21:17 AM »

Post from your heart junkster! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2015, 06:46:20 AM »

There is no issue except, as I already said, it makes for a worse film. I don't think it could have been told any other way though. Banks kind of represents the audience's perspective. Maybe she was a miscast. Her moments were the only times I felt a drag; I remember the friend I went with kept nudging me to say 'I wish they'd go back to '60s Brian.' Everything else was perfect.

I would have changed seats.
Junkstar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2015, 06:49:17 AM »

To be fair, I had a pack of elderly folks surrounding me (they were all together and we were in 'their usual section') and they were gasping with fear and muttering with delight throughout the film.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2015, 07:16:48 AM »

So you're basically getting the story directly from the only other person who was actually there to tell it for many of the events that played out on the screen. So what's the issue with who is telling the story if there is one? Landy was an asshole and acted like one, case closed.
I don't think anyone is defending Landy, his henchmen (who go nameless), the absent extended Wilson family and BB's etc. Half the film is about Brian's lean years as recalled by many, half is Melindas story, as recalled by Melinda. I don't dispute that she potentially saved his soul, I'm just saying it felt forced and a bit empty to me. Yes, she was the only one actually there for the Melinda story. There were enough others there for a deeper tale that didn't make the cut. I get it. It's Hollywood. I don't care all that much, as we all expect to see as palatable a story as possible from big studios. Just didn't grab me personally the way I hoped it would.
Junkstar - given that Brian was entrusted via the court to Landy, in order to wrest him (Brian) from his (Landy's) clutches, it would have required a high burden of proof, to convince a court that Landy was self-dealing, etc., and that would be "the will" which appeared to have been a joint effort as between Gloria and Melinda.  

No one else appeared to have met that burden, and the band and family appear to have been marginalized, by being essentially barred from visitation.  That ain't Hollywood. It is remedying predatory behavior. Just sayin'.   Wink
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 07:18:24 AM by filledeplage » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2015, 07:51:59 AM »

Finally saw the film yesterday afternoon at our new theatre here...it's barely two years old and absolutely incredible. Anyway, we went for the matinne basically to save money...it was pretty empty, probably about 15-20 people in the full-sized theater. My girlfriend and I were easily the only people under 65 and just like a Mike and Bruce concert...the only people that really knew anything before going in there. The crowd was pretty silent throughout the film, but all left immediately after it was over. We were the only ones staying through the credits.

Overall, I was pleased and impressed. The 60's scenes were definitely way more entertaining and enjoyable for a Beach Boys fan, but the 80's scenes were probably more pleasing to the elderly folks that came in looking for the next aging rock star drama. I could not get past Cusack. I know it's been said by almost everyone on here, but there is no resemblance whatsoever. All the other roles were pretty spot on. I think Landy was a little underplayed, Mike Love perhaps a little overplayed, but Murry was spot on.

As for other visual comparisons...The Beach Boys looked accurate for the most part. Brian, Al, and Mike all looked really great in my opinion. Carl, Dennis, and Bruce could've been anybody...

Three favorite parts, most of which have been mentioned...the very beginning in stereo. Holy guacamole I was stunned, so powerful. Secondly, Brian inside the piano plucking "You Still Believe in Me" that was done VERY well and felt incredibly real to me. Lastly, the pool scene with Brian in the deep end. The placement and characterization of the other members was sheer perfection.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2015, 08:25:14 AM »

I scraped together my review and it’s up on my blog. http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com (Links to my blog and facebook page are in my signature below). As usual, I wrote and rewrote and ended up just going with a sort of blurted out, stream of consciousness review to once avoid spending weeks writing it for five minutes per day. Long story short, the film is highly recommended!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2015, 08:33:28 AM »

Brian already comes across in the 80s part of the movie as a weak and pathetic individual. Do BW fans really wish that they would have shown MORE of that? His passive personality had rendered him impotent to control his own life. It was Melinda that was the catalyzing force to move Brian forward. That part of the movie is really her story, not Brian's. I think Pohlad got the balance right in that regard. Elizabeth Banks gives a great performance too. That scene where Landy yells at her through the door and then totally backs down when she opens it is one of the movie's best. With that one glare, Landy knew that Melinda was not someone he was going to be able to control. The scene where he "gives her access" was wonderful too, as you could sense Melinda's mounting horror even as  she seems to consider going along with Landy's requests.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
KDS
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2015, 08:33:55 AM »

Finally saw the film yesterday afternoon at our new theatre here...it's barely two years old and absolutely incredible. Anyway, we went for the matinne basically to save money...it was pretty empty, probably about 15-20 people in the full-sized theater. My girlfriend and I were easily the only people under 65 and just like a Mike and Bruce concert...the only people that really knew anything before going in there. The crowd was pretty silent throughout the film, but all left immediately after it was over. We were the only ones staying through the credits.

Funny you mention that.  My fiance and I were also the only ones left after the credits since we stayed to listen to Love and Mercy and One Kind of Love.  

I didn't think I'd like Cusack or Giamanti, but I think they both immersed themselves in the roles.  Especially Cusack, with the mannerisms and facial ticks.  However, it's probably best that they chose to not have him sing.  
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2015, 08:54:08 AM »

Anyone know if/when the film will expand to more cities? Closest showing is 72 miles. I traveled to see it, but I have got to see it again. I couldn't take it all in with one viewing.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
KDS
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2015, 09:06:41 AM »

It was supposed to be this weekend. 

You might want to check Fandango.  There are no extra showings in my neck of the woods though. 

Unfortunately, this is the summer blockbuster season, so most theaters are going to opt to put the big budget movies on their screens.  With Jurassic World being released on Friday, I wouldn't expect L&M to be added to many theaters. 
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2015, 09:07:25 AM »

Overall, I was pleased and impressed. The 60's scenes were definitely way more entertaining and enjoyable for a Beach Boys fan, but the 80's scenes were probably more pleasing to the elderly folks that came in looking for the next aging rock star drama. I could not get past Cusack.

I feel exactly the opposite. I really could have done without the shot-for-shot remake of the Sloop promo video and other vintage footage. I can watch the original anytime I want, so why put it in the film when that time could have been spent elsewhere on the story? I was much more invested in the stuff we didn't know and thought Cusack was terrific at portraying Brian during that phase of his life.

Not to take anything away from Dano's performance, or the film overall, but if I'm being picky about how I would have liked to seen those 2 hours used, it wouldn't have been recreated studio or promotional footage that's easily available.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2015, 09:16:28 AM »

Brian already comes across in the 80s part of the movie as a weak and pathetic individual. Do BW fans really wish that they would have shown MORE of that? His passive personality had rendered him impotent to control his own life. It was Melinda that was the catalyzing force to move Brian forward. That part of the movie is really her story, not Brian's. I think Pohlad got the balance right in that regard. Elizabeth Banks gives a great performance too. That scene where Landy yells at her through the door and then totally backs down when she opens it is one of the movie's best. With that one glare, Landy knew that Melinda was not someone he was going to be able to control. The scene where he "gives her access" was wonderful too, as you could sense Melinda's mounting horror even as  she seems to consider going along with Landy's requests.

+1

Nice post. Sums it up well. I'd add to that a scene which affected me more than i would have expected, when Melinda shows up with a surprise for her and Brian to share, a sweet gesture that most of us do or have done when dating someone and building a relationship, and Landy...I won't spoil it, but that scene really packed more of an emotional punch that i expected.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2015, 09:16:53 AM »

I feel exactly the opposite. I really could have done without the shot-for-shot remake of the Sloop promo video and other vintage footage. I can watch the original anytime I want, so why put it in the film when that time could have been spent elsewhere on the story? I was much more invested in the stuff we didn't know and thought Cusack was terrific at portraying Brian during that phase of his life.

I'm fairly certain the Sloop promo was there to break up the heaviness of the LSD scene that preceded it.  It infuses comfort and humor just as some of the darker tones of the film are revealing themselves.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2015, 09:18:55 AM »

Yup, really. Im not from the BB camp that flags participants in the legacy as either purely good or purely bad. I think it's a shame there are so few Murry compositions on record for posterity. He was a key player in creating the band as we know them.

Your Hasselhoff project sounds less challenging than trying to unearth the Murry canon of failed sheets, to be honest. Two Step was an easy target as Guy Lombardo had sheets released through Guild and BMI, but there are many more failed Murry compositions people will likely never hear.

Was the process of unearthing all of that sheet music more difficult than finding out what C50 meant?  Grin

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2015, 09:22:32 AM »

Amanda, I'm with you. The latter-day Brian stuff was my favorite.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2015, 09:25:29 AM »

After reading how much stuff was put into the movie, I was worried it'd feel rushed--yet when I saw it, a lot of it felt...slow. The score--this felt more like cool sound effects and editing rather than a score. Was expecting Landy to feel much worse than he came off. Murry felt appropriately sickening...I'm kinda glad we didn't have more of him in there.

How much worse could Landy have been portrayed? He was shown as being outwardly charming, if also creepy, but then screaming at a terrified Brian, starving Brian, giving him pills, living in his home, surrounding him with "minders", controlling who he saw, keeping Melinda away, etc. Oh...and making himself the beneficiary. That's pretty damn bad.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2015, 09:28:42 AM »

I'm fairly certain the Sloop promo was there to break up the heaviness of the LSD scene that preceded it.  It infuses comfort and humor just as some of the darker tones of the film are revealing themselves.

I think that is why they included it, I just wish they would have found a more unique way to get that emotional break in. There are lots of really funny moments and stories that go around about this time period, and Brian's life in general because he's a funny guy, and I would have rather seen something new brought in.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx