gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680828 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:00:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Evan Landy makes an appearance ...  (Read 46054 times)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2015, 03:45:48 PM »

Where's that creepy video from, the one with Brian sitting right by Landy, with Brian doing some odd twisting motion with his hands (while Landy mentions Elvis)? Does anyone know where that brief video is sourced from? Was that from some longer 1984-ish era interview or something?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-K-n5op9nI

"Oh, God no"... 

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2015, 03:49:13 PM »

luv the elevator music that plays at the end of the clip. Would luv to see where this clip comes from.

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2015, 04:37:10 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAeXSYOrXhE

Don't forget this one, apparently one of those mysterious camcorder videos. Landy bragging about his new car bought with Brian's money. Is that Alexandra acting jealous?

And, as a bonus, if you listen closely, you can hear Landy approving the dispensing of drugs, probably Xanax or something like it.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 09, 2015, 01:05:51 AM »

http://torieldridge.com/2015/06/07/reflections-from-a-beach-girl/#more-1165 Reflections from a Beach Girl

This lady named Tori Eldridge wrote a blog post about her time as a background singer for some sessions w/ Brian in 1986. She doesn't mention any songs by name but she does recall "shooting a music video at an old-fashioned drive-in burger joint, lip-synching our parts while roller skating".

I left a comment w/ a youtube link to Let's Go To Heaven In My Car, the only song from that time i can think of that has female backing vocals. Maybe she sang on it. Or maybe Too Much Sugar, the b-side to LGTHIMC. Wonder what the music video was for.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 01:25:32 AM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: June 09, 2015, 01:11:44 AM »

Hmmmm...can't say I've ever heard of her.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 09, 2015, 01:24:19 AM »

sh*t sorry, double posted on accident

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2015, 01:30:06 AM »

luv the elevator music that plays at the end of the clip.

If you're referring to the post directly above yours then that is the Beach Boys - it's the alternate mix of 'Til I Die done by Steve Desper.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2015, 01:32:13 AM »

oh man. lol sorry. No offence to Mr. Desper. I honestly thought it sounded like some kind of licensed production music, you know.  Embarrassed

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2015, 01:32:37 AM »

Don't forget this one, apparently one of those mysterious camcorder videos. Landy bragging about his new car bought with Brian's money. Is that Alexandra acting jealous?

And, as a bonus, if you listen closely, you can hear Landy approving the dispensing of drugs, probably Xanax or something like it.

Yup...Brian actually asks for a sack of weed , half a Xanax, and something else I've never been able to make out.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 09, 2015, 01:36:01 AM »

oh man. lol sorry. No offence to Mr. Desper. I honestly thought it sounded like some kind of licensed production music, you know.  Embarrassed

No need to apologise. It's actually a really good version - in some ways I prefer it to the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bYufmMkiA4
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: June 09, 2015, 01:43:07 AM »

Don't forget this one, apparently one of those mysterious camcorder videos. Landy bragging about his new car bought with Brian's money.

And a Corvette ZR-1, no less, not exactly the cheapest car at the time.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 09, 2015, 01:46:36 AM »

Don't forget this one, apparently one of those mysterious camcorder videos. Landy bragging about his new car bought with Brian's money.

And a Corvette ZR-1, no less, not exactly the cheapest car at the time.

It would be really fascinating to know what Gene Landy would do/say if he were alive today and L&M were released as is. I wonder if he'd try to defend himself, or just stay in hiding of sorts in Hawaii without saying a peep about it. I don't know how he could defend his own scumbaggery, anymore than I can understand his son's defense angle.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: June 09, 2015, 01:46:53 AM »

That son of a shitburger.... hope he's roasting in hell.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:10:55 PM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: June 09, 2015, 07:27:41 AM »

Does anyone know if there were any legal agreements/settlements (similar to what eventually occurred with removing Landy’s name from songwriting credits) after 1992 which dictated Eugene Landy not give any interviews or discuss Brian? He was alive for 14 years after being removed from Brian, and appears to have never given an interview or otherwise discussed Brian. Given his bravado and willingness to go to farcical lengths to defend himself (e.g. the Primetime Live interview from 1991), I always wondered why he didn’t continue to defend himself in all those later years.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 09, 2015, 03:56:57 PM »

Did Landy wear a hairpiece?

Did Eugene Landy wear a toupee? Never thought about it before now I'm curious.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 09, 2015, 04:58:05 PM »

I doubt it, doesn't look like a rug to me. Just a hairdo which involved into incredible Landymullet. I wonder if there were some rock stars of the time who inspired his awful mullet creation. At least Brian miraculously made it out of the 1980s and early 90s without any known photographed signs of having had a mullet. Even Carl almost had a quasi one for a while. I wonder if Dennis would have rocked one.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 09, 2015, 05:28:34 PM »

Where's that creepy video from, the one with Brian sitting right by Landy, with Brian doing some odd twisting motion with his hands (while Landy mentions Elvis)? Does anyone know where that brief video is sourced from? Was that from some longer 1984-ish era interview or something?  

"Oh, God no"... 

Regarding where this clip came from, I can somewhat answer, because I'm in this segment about a minute earlier than this shot.  (It's the only footage I have of myself with both Brian & Dennis).  I believe the show is called "Two On The Town", and it was hosted by Steve Edwards, who is still on the morning news here in L.A.  The segment was both about Brian's 'revival' under the care of Landy, and about the passing of Dennis.

The clip that I'm in, and the concert footage showing Dennis' decline, was from Jack Murphy Stadium.  I had strolled around, and found a guy that was giving out San Diego Padre hats to us "Beach Boy people".  I went running through a tunnel, & grabbed Dennis & Brian.  You can see them listening in to me, as they start to follow me down this tunnel.  Suddenly Landy comes in to frame, asking Brian where he's going, as the stage is in the other direction!  As they both turn to follow Landy, it fades to this shot of them in the Malibu house.  One of my most priceless memories, & it was caught on channel 2!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 09, 2015, 06:42:53 PM »

I doubt it, doesn't look like a rug to me. Just a hairdo which involved into incredible Landymullet. I wonder if there were some rock stars of the time who inspired his awful mullet creation. At least Brian miraculously made it out of the 1980s and early 90s without any known photographed signs of having had a mullet. Even Carl almost had a quasi one for a while. I wonder if Dennis would have rocked one.

The thing is, Landy's whole camp wore mullets, at least as attested in all those Youtube videos of Brian out and about with them.  When Giamatti as Landy did that "unprecedented access" scene in L&M I halfway expected him to say to Elizabeth Banks as Melinda, "Now, how about a compromise? I'll go ahead and let you just report to me after every second date instead of each one...if you get a mullet. Wouldn't you say that's reasonable?"
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2015, 07:25:56 PM »

"Oh, God no"...  

Regarding where this clip came from, I can somewhat answer, because I'm in this segment about a minute earlier than this shot.  (It's the only footage I have of myself with both Brian & Dennis).  I believe the show is called "Two On The Town", and it was hosted by Steve Edwards, who is still on the morning news here in L.A.  The segment was both about Brian's 'revival' under the care of Landy, and about the passing of Dennis.

The clip that I'm in, and the concert footage showing Dennis' decline, was from Jack Murphy Stadium.  I had strolled around, and found a guy that was giving out San Diego Padre hats to us "Beach Boy people".  I went running through a tunnel, & grabbed Dennis & Brian.  You can see them listening in to me, as they start to follow me down this tunnel.  Suddenly Landy comes in to frame, asking Brian where he's going, as the stage is in the other direction!  As they both turn to follow Landy, it fades to this shot of them in the Malibu house.  One of my most priceless memories, & it was caught on channel 2!

That is very interesting. I know Steve Edwards' daughter, maybe I can ask her sometime if Steve has any recollections himself about the show.

I've heard very few (if any) other stories regarding the 2nd Landy period overlapping with Dennis' life, since there was just about 1 year of overlap. Did Dennis ever speak of his thoughts about Brian and Landy? And I wonder if Landy had any ideas on how to help Dennis. I guess in 1983, the Brian/Landy relationship hadn't yet gotten to the depraved level yet which it would get to in a few short years...

For that matter, I don't know if I've ever heard any other stories about Brian and Dennis hanging out during the 2nd Landy era. Did Landy try to keep Brian away from Dennis as much as possible in 1983?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 07:31:29 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2015, 07:26:45 PM »

The thing is, Landy's whole camp wore mullets, at least as attested in all those Youtube videos of Brian out and about with them.  When Giamatti as Landy did that "unprecedented access" scene in L&M I halfway expected him to say to Elizabeth Banks as Melinda, "Now, how about a compromise? I'll go ahead and let you just report to me after every second date instead of each one...if you get a mullet. Wouldn't you say that's reasonable?"

Speaking of Landy's Camp, that reminds me of the early 90s animated show, Camp Candy (as in John Candy), which I guess could have had a Landy-ized version as Camp Landy (shudder).

I wonder if '80s Melinda ever rocked a mullet, Markie Post (3rd season Night Court era) style... Mullets were yet to be a source of mockery.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 07:29:37 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 10, 2015, 05:49:20 AM »

Yup...Brian actually asks for a sack of weed , half a Xanax, and something else I've never been able to make out.
Sounds like business as usual.  The "camcorder doesn't lie."

Would likely have made great evidence had Landy been prosecuted.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: June 10, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »

Something i found while on twitter: May Pang's public facebook thoughts on L&M: The ‪#‎LoveAndMercy‬ film was moving in so many ways. It dealt with Brian's interaction with Dr. Eugene Landy who was so controversial and the love story of Melinda (the heroine) and Brian. It brought back a weird memory for me as I actually witnessed one of those episodes Brian with Landy.

I know in the beginning of her book Loving John there's a dedication to Landy, talking about what a wonderful and caring man he is...

BTW, just finished reading this thread...so many people wondering why Brian wasn't sent to more orthodox shrinks, hospitals, etc. Seems to me that he WAS. MANY times. Since at least 1968. (Heck, isn't that how he would have met Jay Silverheels?? I know either Scott Bennett or Probyn once posted on Facebook that right before they took the stage in Toronto, Brian said something like, "Toronto...Toronto...hey, that reminds me, did I ever tell you guys about the time Tonto hit on me?")

And why did they have him go back to Landy? Because he's the only one who actually got results.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 10, 2015, 10:04:05 PM »

Speaking of Landy's Camp, that reminds me of the early 90s animated show, Camp Candy (as in John Candy), which I guess could have had a Landy-ized version as Camp Landy (shudder).

*shiver*  Ugh.  I could have happily gone the rest of this decade without a reminder of Camp Candy.  The only good thing about it was it had the fortune to air right before Captain N: The Game Master.   LOL

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 10, 2015, 11:06:55 PM »

Something i found while on twitter: May Pang's public facebook thoughts on L&M: The ‪#‎LoveAndMercy‬ film was moving in so many ways. It dealt with Brian's interaction with Dr. Eugene Landy who was so controversial and the love story of Melinda (the heroine) and Brian. It brought back a weird memory for me as I actually witnessed one of those episodes Brian with Landy.

I know in the beginning of her book Loving John there's a dedication to Landy, talking about what a wonderful and caring man he is...

BTW, just finished reading this thread...so many people wondering why Brian wasn't sent to more orthodox shrinks, hospitals, etc. Seems to me that he WAS. MANY times. Since at least 1968. (Heck, isn't that how he would have met Jay Silverheels?? I know either Scott Bennett or Probyn once posted on Facebook that right before they took the stage in Toronto, Brian said something like, "Toronto...Toronto...hey, that reminds me, did I ever tell you guys about the time Tonto hit on me?")

And why did they have him go back to Landy? Because he's the only one who actually got results.
It's easy to hate Landy now, but the above is true. He did get results. I wish it could have been another way.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: June 11, 2015, 01:43:44 AM »

*shiver*  Ugh.  I could have happily gone the rest of this decade without a reminder of Camp Candy.  The only good thing about it was it had the fortune to air right before Captain N: The Game Master.   LOL

LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx