gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:37:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks currently estranged?  (Read 36240 times)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2015, 01:30:26 PM »

In the old days Van could pick up a phone and call Brian or drop by the house.  Now meetings have to be approved and arranged.

How do you know this to be true?

I'm talking about in 1966-67 - and how I know is by the multiple accounts of that time by Brian, Van Dyke, the Vosse posse, press, etc.  how do I know that now meetings have to be approved and arranged?  Surely you know that Brian has handlers and Melinda and that access to Brian is controlled?  Mike and others (Jeff Beck et al) have complained about that very thing. 

Short version, as I expected: You don't know it to be true. Brian's friends are able to call him on the phone and drop by whenever they like. BW drives his own car, goes where he likes, and does what he pleases.

If Van isn't able to do that now, then that's perhaps because he's not Brian's friend now -- and hasn't been for 50 years.

They've definitely been on good terms more recently than 50 years ago. They seemed pretty close during OCA and BWPS. It's possible Brian saw VDP as more of an employee for the latter but I'd like to believe they were friends then

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »

They've definitely been on good terms more recently than 50 years ago. They seemed pretty close during OCA and BWPS. It's possible Brian saw VDP as more of an employee for the latter but I'd like to believe they were friends then

Watch him at the end of the performance in Beautiful Dreamer. Someone doesn't get that emotional in an employee-boss relationship. Smiley

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2015, 10:42:34 AM »

Watch him at the end of the performance in Beautiful Dreamer. Someone doesn't get that emotional in an employee-boss relationship. Smiley

Exactly. I felt warmth in the OCA video that was posted recently too. That's why all this is so saddening to me, because it's seemingly out of nowhere. Throwing his lot in with Daro especially.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2015, 10:49:55 AM »

There are plenty of people I work with -- who I'm friendly with! -- who I wouldn't invite to my home. Just because Van and Brian have a shared history, and just because they sometimes work well together does not mean they're close friends. BW also goes hit and cold on folks -- as Joe T. and Paley now well.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2015, 11:06:55 AM »

There are plenty of people I work with -- who I'm friendly with! -- who I wouldn't invite to my home. Just because Van and Brian have a shared history, and just because they sometimes work well together does not mean they're close friends. BW also goes hit and cold on folks -- as Joe T. and Paley now well.

Very true

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2015, 09:53:08 PM »

[Joke mode engaged]

Perhaps VDP heard about how Mike's the greatest lyricist in the world.  He's unhappy about that.

[Joke mode disengaged]

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #156 on: September 12, 2015, 02:17:44 AM »

Exactly. I felt warmth in the OCA video that was posted recently too. That's why all this is so saddening to me, because it's seemingly out of nowhere. Throwing his lot in with Daro especially.

I suspect throwing his lot in with Daro was as much to highlight his thoughts about people who he deems to have a pernicious influence on Brian's creativity - Loren was, after all, pretty damning about Mike and Murry and didn't VDP made some sarcastic comments when the C50 shows got rolling because it's clear that's not where he sees Brian?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2015, 07:47:19 AM »

I suspect throwing his lot in with Daro was as much to highlight his thoughts about people who he deems to have a pernicious influence on Brian's creativity - Loren was, after all, pretty damning about Mike and Murry and didn't VDP made some sarcastic comments when the C50 shows got rolling because it's clear that's not where he sees Brian?

I can understand that, but considering everything else he was saying that was obviously untrue or incredibly obnoxious...doesn't make vdp look good to throw his support behind him

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2015, 07:57:59 PM »

It probably does get VD's goat that he is more musically sophisticated than Bri, yet is a lot poorer and did not have Brian's ability to write simple, catchy fare that performed well on the charts.  He probably knows he could not write simple successful songs like Brian either, and wonders how that "magic trick" was performed so often.

You haven't changed a bit, MTG.  ;-)

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx