gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 02:52:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The songs that saved the album..  (Read 13417 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 06:37:49 PM »

some of the songs being discussed here from MIU, KTSA etc., have some songs that are HALF good.     I wish , for example, that the lyrics pitter patter could have been dropped for something else.    A strong and appealing song until grown men start repeating "pitter patter pitter patter pitter patter pitter patter....a couple more days thinking about alternative lyrics could have yielded a classic Beach Boys song.    Was this laziness or lack of taste?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 06:41:36 PM »

some of the songs being discussed here from MIU, KTSA etc., have some songs that are HALF good.     I wish , for example, that the lyrics pitter patter could have been dropped for something else.    A strong and appealing song until grown men start repeating "pitter patter pitter patter pitter patter pitter patter....a couple more days thinking about alternative lyrics could have yielded a classic Beach Boys song.    Was this laziness or lack of taste?

I doubt it was laziness... as horrible as it sounds, they probably thought that was the perfect lyric for that.

It's like Ob la Di, Ob La Da.  Paul probably though that was the coolest lyric he ever thought up, that minute.  If he would have spent another 10 minutes thinking about it, he might have came up with something brilliant...

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 06:28:20 AM »

The main thing that saves many of the later day albums with the so-so songwriting, are the vocals.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 06:40:45 AM »

I doubt it was laziness... as horrible as it sounds, they probably thought that was the perfect lyric for that.

It's like Ob la Di, Ob La Da.  Paul probably though that was the coolest lyric he ever thought up, that minute.  If he would have spent another 10 minutes thinking about it, he might have came up with something brilliant...

You know, I never could understand why "Pitter Patter" has such a bad rep. I think it's a great little tune. It's about listening to the rain. Ya know? Just simple life experiences, the kinda thing that I think The Beach Boys do better than anyone.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 07:00:42 AM »

<<Well its not an opinion,>>

I find this comment very ironic.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2015, 08:47:46 AM »

You mean kind of like "Well, oh my, oh gosh, oh gee, she really sends chills inside of me"? A grown man singing that too? Nah, I wouldn't change a thing. These kinds of lyrics are quaint, quirky and very Brian, very Beach Boys.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 10:00:19 AM »

Well, you see we differ as to which tracks save the steaming piles of shite otherwise known as MIU and Keepin' The Summer Alive. For me: My Diane, Pitter Patter and even Winds of Change. I can just about stand Why Doncha, at least as much as It's Okay. The covers are fine - just filler out of place. With KTSA, it's Santa Ana Winds and the title track (again, prefer it to It's Okay) and, to a lesser extent, Goin' On. I do think that suffers from over-production, however. LA's much easier: I don't care for HCTN (though I could possibly stand a shorter version; not a fan of Sumahama (despite some gorgeous vocals); Shortenin' Bread is, again, out of place. At a push, I can like Full Sail and Goin' South, but they're pretty sluggish and I'll take Full Sail.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 10:34:28 AM »

It's all just opinion, but I think LA (Light Album) is solid from tracks 1-10, there's nothing that needs to be "saved."

This.  Solid all the way thru except for Shortenin' Bread.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 10:43:25 AM »

The main thing that saves many of the later day albums with the so-so songwriting, are the vocals.

You're right. For example, Kokomo isn't the world's greatest song, however, Carl and Bruce's vocals are awesome!
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 12:27:48 PM »

Its like some agree Holland was the last real lp others count the compilations of outtakes and recycled tracks. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 12:58:19 PM »

Its like some agree Holland was the last real lp others count the compilations of outtakes and recycled tracks. 
Were the others that came after fake? If they went in the studio to record then it's a studio album. Now, if they want to say it was last good Lp that they made, then I can understand that. That is their opinion.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 03:31:41 PM »

Can you please post this a few more times in case some of us didn't hear you the first 267?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 03:33:17 PM »

"Cuckoo Clock" saved SURFIN' SAFARI.

Not even Beethoven's Ninth could have saved SUMMER IN PARADISE.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:35:07 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 06:06:48 AM »

Summer in Paradise was saved by.......um.......That's Why God Made the Radio

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 07:10:56 AM »

"Sail, On Sailor" literally saved Holland from getting rejected - and that's one of the group's better lesser-known albums!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 07:13:16 AM »

"Sail, On Sailor" literally saved Holland from getting rejected - and that's one of the group's better lesser-known albums!
On that note, did any Reprise albums get through on the first submission?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 12:21:55 PM »

The way i see it...

Surfin' Safari was saved by Surfin' Safari, County Fair, Ten Little Indians, Chug-A-Lug, Little Miss America, 409, Surfin', Heads You Win--Tails I Lose, Summertime Blues, Cuckoo Clock, Moon Dawg and The Shift; Surfin' U.S.A. was saved by Surfin' U.S.A., Farmer's Daughter, Misirlou, Stoked, Lonely Sea, Shut Down, Noble Surfer, Tonky Tonk, Lana, Surf Jam, Let's Go Trippin' and Finders Keepers; Surfer Girl was saved by... well, you get the picture. Grin 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 12:23:35 PM »

I really think that Getcha Back kept The Beach Boys 1985 album from sinking like a stone.  It was, IMO, the best track on the album by far, and a minor hit on MTV.  I think the rest of the material on the album is OK, but no real hit potential.  
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 01:17:47 PM »

I really think that Getcha Back kept The Beach Boys 1985 album from sinking like a stone.  It was, IMO, the best track on the album by far, and a minor hit on MTV.  I think the rest of the material on the album is OK, but no real hit potential. 
It's Gettin' Late hit the Top 20 on the AC chart. By 1985 the AC chart was fairly important to those us who were hitting the 30 mark around that time. I know that's when music started changing for me and I started to pay more attention to it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 01:47:58 PM »

I really think that Getcha Back kept The Beach Boys 1985 album from sinking like a stone.  

I'd bet my last dollar that the vast majority bought "Getcha Back" on the Made In USA compilation.
KDS
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 01:52:20 PM »

I really think that Getcha Back kept The Beach Boys 1985 album from sinking like a stone.  It was, IMO, the best track on the album by far, and a minor hit on MTV.  I think the rest of the material on the album is OK, but no real hit potential. 
It's Gettin' Late hit the Top 20 on the AC chart. By 1985 the AC chart was fairly important to those us who were hitting the 30 mark around that time. I know that's when music started changing for me and I started to pay more attention to it.

I didn't know that.  Thanks for the tidbit. 
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2015, 09:45:44 PM »

yeah the BBs being on the AC chart was/is a bummer for sure. The chart for muzak.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2015, 10:07:05 PM »

yeah the BBs being on the AC chart was/is a bummer for sure. The chart for muzak.

So One More Night, Everytime You Go Away, Throwing it All Away, Little Lies, Another Day In Paradise, The Living Years, If You Don't Know Me by Know, One, Do You Remember?, Drive, All Night Long, What Kind of Fool, Endless Love... the list goes on.... which are all CLASSIC 80's songs are "muzak" just because they topped AC? Grow up  LOL
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2015, 10:42:19 PM »

Better than Where I Belong?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2015, 11:43:31 PM »

Thr beach boys themselves knew that 15bO, MIU, LA and KTSA were weak albums that were done for the sake of contractual obligation w no heart whatsoever; theyre not collectable and historically have no value to anyone other than collection completists.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx