gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680870 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 09:22:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The songs that saved the album..  (Read 13452 times)
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2015, 11:48:34 PM »

Thr beach boys themselves knew that 15bO, MIU, LA and KTSA were weak albums that were done for the sake of contractual obligation w no heart whatsoever; theyre not collectable and historically have no value to anyone other than collection completists.

This isn't true, maybe Dennis when it came to MIU but even he put some quality cuts on LA that he would've endorsed. MIU stands for Maharishi International University and the two followers of the Maharishi in the band, Mike and Al, were the driving force for them to record in Iowa. So you could say they were proud to do so. Where are you getting these generalised statements?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2015, 11:53:59 PM »

Save your breath arguing with the guy. If it ain't the first decade of BB albums, the Ramones or some other shitty surf punk band nobody cares about he isn't interested.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2015, 03:58:13 AM »

I really think that Getcha Back kept The Beach Boys 1985 album from sinking like a stone.  It was, IMO, the best track on the album by far, and a minor hit on MTV.  I think the rest of the material on the album is OK, but no real hit potential. 
It's Gettin' Late hit the Top 20 on the AC chart. By 1985 the AC chart was fairly important to those us who were hitting the 30 mark around that time. I know that's when music started changing for me and I started to pay more attention to it.
yeah tvhe BBs being on the AC chart was/is a bummer for sure. The chart for muzak.
Being a little snobbish there, aren't you? I doubt I would like anything on today's Top 40 and having the AC is more likely to list songs and bands that I prefer to listen to. It is far from Muzak type music. If It's Gettin' Late isn't Muzak then why would the rest of the songs on it be that way?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2015, 07:29:57 AM »

While the LA album didnīt need saving, one can wonder if it could be made better by the label insisting on the inclusion of better songs i.e California Feelinī, Santa Ana Winds, Holy Man etc.

It couldīve been better if they were forced to cut down the length of HCTN, remove Shortenin Bread (or make it a "hidden track"), Demand english only version of Sumahama or basically ask them to write a few more upbeat tunes.

Had LA come out after Holland it would be viewed as a strong follow-up to a series of great album. Instead it is placed in the middle of a cluster of directionless and uninspired albums stretching back through 15BO, Love You (to some extent, itīs just so weird), MIU and continued after with the ridiculous KTSA. As a consequence it has been dismissed or forgotten.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 07:42:22 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2015, 10:48:07 PM »

Save your breath arguing with the guy. If it ain't the first decade of BB albums, the Ramones or some other shitty surf punk band nobody cares about he isn't interested.
yep you pigeonholed the kook...cant argue w someone that says it like it is, gotta jus follow the asinine bs like the majority and stick w blissful ignorance ;-)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2015, 11:39:27 PM »

Yep, liking more than about 5 bands or 1 genre of music is 'blissfully ignorant', you've got me rumbled.  Shocked

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2015, 12:02:27 AM »

....sigh....

You can't possibly claim an opinion as a fact. Doesn't work like that, unless you had everybody in the known universe (and 3 1/2 Klingons) in complete agreement, with no dissenters.

For the record, I like MIU despite it's flaws, and think LA Light is mostly a boring shitpile. That's my opinion. Don't expect everyone to agree, and that's ok. That makes discussion and debate fun. Some of the posts in this thread, though, are the antithesis of fun. A few are barely intelligible.  Noe wut I meen, rite?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2015, 01:07:06 AM »

I agree, the first 5 cuts on MIU and pitter patter are fun, LA is weak, but dennis' bambu tracks are good, I just dont get why anyone would deny it was a hodgepodge collection.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2015, 01:18:45 AM »

Its like some agree Holland was the last real lp others count the compilations of outtakes and recycled tracks. 

That's right. Opinion is evenly divided between you on one side and everyone else on the other.

Please delete my account
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2015, 02:54:02 AM »

I agree, the first 5 cuts on MIU and pitter patter are fun, LA is weak, but dennis' bambu tracks are good, I just dont get why anyone would deny it was a hodgepodge collection.

For some of us it doesn't matter because to us it sounds pretty much consistently good from beginning to end. I'm aware it's not Pet Sounds. So what? It contains one of my favorite Brian songs (Good Timin', not Shortenin' Bread) and several nice, occasionally even great songs by the other members. Don't care if it's a hodgepodge collection, save for the inclusion of HCTN it doesn't even sound like one.
KDS
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2015, 05:47:55 AM »

I do agree with you that the Beach Boys golden age is 62-73, but some of those albums are hodgepodges too (Little Deuce Coupe, Smiley Smile, 20/20, Surf's Up (the title track was four years old)). 

And The Beach Boys aren't the only band who does that.  The Beatles went back to their early days several times.  Just recently, Van Halen's comeback album A Different Kind of Truth from 2012, included a song or two that dated back to 1977. 

So, it seems a little unfair to discount an album just because all of the songs were written and/or recording during a specific time period. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2015, 06:24:41 AM »

I do agree with you that the Beach Boys golden age is 62-73, but some of those albums are hodgepodges too (Little Deuce Coupe, Smiley Smile, 20/20, Surf's Up (the title track was four years old)). 

And The Beach Boys aren't the only band who does that.  The Beatles went back to their early days several times.  Just recently, Van Halen's comeback album A Different Kind of Truth from 2012, included a song or two that dated back to 1977. 

So, it seems a little unfair to discount an album just because all of the songs were written and/or recording during a specific time period. 
Indeed. Every album released does not always have to be a Concept album.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2015, 06:56:03 AM »

<<I agree, the first 5 cuts on MIU and pitter patter are fun, LA is weak, but dennis' bambu tracks are good, I just dont get why anyone would deny it was a hodgepodge collection.>>

Abbott: You throw the ball to first base.
Costello: Then who gets it?
Abbott: Naturally.
Costello: Naturally.
Abbott: Now you've got it.
Costello: I throw the ball to Naturally.
Abbott: You don't! You throw it to Who!
Abbott: Well, that's it—say it that way.
Costello: That's what I said.
Abbott: You did not.
Costello: I said I throw the ball to Naturally.
Abbott: You don't! You throw it to Who!
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2015, 11:20:35 AM »

Thats true huh, little deuce coupe was four rereleased tracks and a couple rewrites brian did along with half a new album, 20/20 compiling recent singles and outtakes. But after holland they were literally taking old songs, outtakes and solo cuts and caribou/columbia was promoting LA & KTSA as "new" albums.
KDS
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2015, 11:41:27 AM »

Thats true huh, little deuce coupe was four rereleased tracks and a couple rewrites brian did along with half a new album, 20/20 compiling recent singles and outtakes. But after holland they were literally taking old songs, outtakes and solo cuts and caribou/columbia was promoting LA & KTSA as "new" albums.

You're kind of proving my point. 

Also, LA and KTSA did both include a fair share of new material.  Short on material, they looked backwards.  This is nothing new.  Go back to Surfer Girl.  The song Surfer Girl was the first song that Brian says he ever wrote.  Didn't appear until the third LP. 

If you want to say that the Beach Boys peak creative period ended after Holland, I'll buy that.  But to constantly tear down albums for how they were compiled rather than the material on the records doesn't make much sense to me. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »

And The Beach Boys aren't the only band who does that.  The Beatles went back to their early days several times.  Just recently, Van Halen's comeback album A Different Kind of Truth from 2012, included a song or two that dated back to 1977.  

After Holland you also had 15 Big Ones and Love You and MIU. Plus, from 1974 on into the early 80's many artists made covers of old songs. It was nothing unusual for the time. As far as the older original material goes, if it only ever got released on LA or KTSA, then it was new to the listener. For instance, When Girls Get Together on KTSA, in 1980 I had never heard nor heard of that song. So, it was completely new to me at the time. Then as now, an unreleased old song is still new, especially if you don't know any better.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2015, 11:55:09 AM »

The Doctor is right. 

Pink Floyd had a brand new album debut at #1 last fall.  This despite the fact that about 95% of the album was recorded in 1994. 

Since these tracks had never seen the light of day, they were new, and actually got some rave reviews. 

So, I have no problem with a 1980 Beach Boys album including a song from 1970. 
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2015, 12:03:17 PM »

<<yep you pigeonholed the kook...cant argue w someone that says it like it is, gotta jus follow the asinine bs like the majority and stick w blissful ignorance ;-)>>

Abbott: Strange as it may seem, they give ball players nowadays very peculiar names.
Costello: Funny names?
Abbott: Nicknames, nicknames. Now, on the St. Louis team we have Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third--
Costello: That's what I want to find out. I want you to tell me the names of the fellows on the St. Louis team.
Abbott: I'm telling you. Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third--
Costello: You know the fellows' names?
Abbott: Yes.
Costello: Well, then who's playing first?
Costello: I mean the fellow's name on first base.
Abbott: Who.
Costello: The fellow playin' first base.
Abbott: Who.
Costello: The guy on first base.
Abbott: Who is on first.
Costello: Well, what are you askin' me for?
Abbott: I'm not asking you--I'm telling you. Who is on first.
Costello: I'm asking you--who's on first?
Abbott: That's the man's name.
Costello: That's who's name?
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2015, 03:58:20 PM »

What Im getting at is that the Beach Boys were pretty done album-wise as a band. From 73 onward it was all bout touring: 15bO was sort of a fluke riding the coattails of Endless summer being that their output of their early years was what was selling, and their renditions of old tunes as well. 76/7 was literally their last era of productiveness in the studio being that from the beginning of 76 to the end off 77 they recorded 4,5 albums (15bO, love you, adult child, 2nd xmas lp and MIU). With 15 being covers&outtakes, love you Brian's solo piece and MIU old cuts and rewrites of the xmas songs.. LA had good timin which was 4 yrs old at the time they were putting it together and the disco remake of HCTN is just horrendous. And my orig statement bout Shortenin bread was referring to it being the ONLY rockin cut on LA. I understand that the group recycled songs on earlier LPs but after Holland its like they were fresh out of anything new; and being that Brian contributed nothing new to LA and his "new" material on KTSA was rehashed from older songs. Its been stated repeatedly that Brian was pretty much over it and that their albums in the late 70s had no heart/soul. I mean seriously "IF" the BBs never put out a new album after Holland and just stuck to touring and maybe just the singles (rockNroll music, peggy sue, good timin, goin on) theyd still have the same impact; even w Komomo, it was on Still cruisin but that wasnt a proper album either.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2015, 08:01:08 PM »

What Im getting at is that the Beach Boys were pretty done album-wise as a band. From 73 onward it was all bout touring: 15bO was sort of a fluke riding the coattails of Endless summer being that their output of their early years was what was selling, and their renditions of old tunes as well. 76/7 was literally their last era of productiveness in the studio being that from the beginning of 76 to the end off 77 they recorded 4,5 albums (15bO, love you, adult child, 2nd xmas lp and MIU). With 15 being covers&outtakes, love you Brian's solo piece and MIU old cuts and rewrites of the xmas songs.. LA had good timin which was 4 yrs old at the time they were putting it together and the disco remake of HCTN is just horrendous. And my orig statement bout Shortenin bread was referring to it being the ONLY rockin cut on LA. I understand that the group recycled songs on earlier LPs but after Holland its like they were fresh out of anything new; and being that Brian contributed nothing new to LA and his "new" material on KTSA was rehashed from older songs. Its been stated repeatedly that Brian was pretty much over it and that their albums in the late 70s had no heart/soul. I mean seriously "IF" the BBs never put out a new album after Holland and just stuck to touring and maybe just the singles (rockNroll music, peggy sue, good timin, goin on) theyd still have the same impact; even w Komomo, it was on Still cruisin but that wasnt a proper album either.
Completely disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2015, 10:27:39 PM »

What is it thats incorrect that you dont concur w?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2015, 10:46:40 PM »

He didn't say anything was incorrect, just that he disagreed with you.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2015, 11:40:21 PM »

Highlighted all the incorrect stuff in your post. Not difference of opinion, just flat out incorrect.

kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2015, 12:09:38 AM »

Weren't pretty much all of the songs on BB 85 newly written and not leftovers?
KDS
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2015, 05:50:36 AM »

What Kook says is partly true, that the Beach Boys scaled back on albums, but most bands from that era did the same thing. 

In the early 60s, it was common to put out multiple albums a year.  Then, in the 70s, it became normal to put out an album yearly.  In the 80s, it became every few years.  Most classic bands from that era followed the same pattern.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx