gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:55:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys - 06-22-06  (Read 5402 times)
cwalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2006, 01:37:53 PM »

Saw Mike and Bruce and the Boys last night at the San Jaoquin Couty Fair in Stockton, CA.

They put on a great show, approximately 1 hour 45 minutes in length, high energey and non-stop (except for Mike's funny comments).

Highlights:

GOOD TIMIN'
WIBN
DO IT AGAIN
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL
DANCE DANCE DANCE
AND:
All the girls dancing in the aisles and on stage for the finale---

Of course they played all the normal tunes, and Mike's voice was a bit on the nasal side at times. The weather was over 100 all day so it was very Summery indeed. Picked up a very cool high qualtiy T-shirt with the Summer tour dates listed.

All in all had a great time. I hope Mike keeps going for another ten years. I know it's not the same as the old days (I first saw them in 1986), but I'll take what I can get. They put on a fun show, all for the price of admission to the fair ($8)!

Sure wish Al and Brian could join them for a true renuion tour, properly promoted with a great backing band, with Mike as MC and Brian as Musical Director...Seems like they should be able to pull this off. Mike pulled in about 3000 for his band, a full reunion should be able to play the larger venues...

All in all I'm having a fine 'Graffiti Summer' which takes place in June as Modesto celebrates George Lucas' movie with car shows and concerts.

Going to the show was extra cool because I just got back from L.A. where I went to Hawthorne and saw the Beach Boys monument...

Take care ALL~~~
CHRIS WALTER
Modesto, CA - USA 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 07:24:04 AM »

They did "Good timin'"? Not bad...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
cwalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 02:14:28 PM »

"They did "Good timin'"? Not bad..."

YES - Hearing this song surprised me the most...Pretty song and good to hear at the County Fair.

Take care!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 02:28:07 PM »

They actually play county fairs? I thought that was just an exaggeration..

Man, I don't see why a reunion isn't happening, especially from Mike & Bruce's end; they'd be making so much more money.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
cwalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 03:10:47 PM »

They actually play county fairs? I thought that was just an exaggeration..

Man, I don't see why a reunion isn't happening, especially from Mike & Bruce's end; they'd be making so much more money.

Me either... !

Mike thanked the crowd for coming out to the show and said something like "Yeah I know you got in free with admission to the fair...but if we manage the money real well, us old guys won't have to find a REAL job for another couple weeks!" 

Seeing them at the County Fair was just a cool event...Walking out on the Midway with a corndog and beer in the warm night air as the carnival lights come up is really something. And like I said, the music was quite good and the crowd was VERY into it.

A full BB reunion could be SUPER special if handled correctly. They need to find a way to all be on stage and collaborate at the same time. And Mike must be out front as the leader...sorry but Brian can't be in the middle sitting at a keyboard he rarely plays. And yes I saw Brian & Company twice during the Smile tour and thought it was awesome. But Mike should get credit for keeping the BB concert spirit alive thanks to the constant touring...After the show I only wished that Al could have been there to sing Help Me Rhonda and Brian could have busted out a Surf's Up...Let's get those reunion plans going!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx