gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:22:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My attempt at filling in the SMiLE vocal gaps  (Read 1564 times)
IAmTheMilkMan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2015, 04:11:18 AM »

As the topic suggests, I attempted to fill in the missing vocals from The Beach Boys version of SMiLE by recording them myself, following the BWPS template.

However, I've been having some trouble with it and could use some feedback.

https://youtu.be/Hgcr4SHCxLU

My recording set-up isn't ideal and I don't have easy access to it, so I've mainly been tinkering with it after-the-fact in the audio editing program. Frustratingly, I just can't seem to finish it to my liking. Every time I think I'm satisfied, I listen to it later and find something wrong with it. After months of this, I figured it was time for an outside opinion.

I still think it needs some work, which is why I'm asking for feedback of any kind. Let me know what you liked and what you think needs fixing. I have an idea of what areas might need attention, but I can't tell anymore if it they actually need work or if I'm going crazy.

Some songs were particularly difficult to do. For example, I can't get those damn "rock rock roll" harmonies from "On A Holiday" right to save my life (actually, that whole song was tough).

As for the SMiLE mix that I used, I just recorded vocals over my own mix that I posted here a while ago.

I recall another fellow doing this same thing around when TSS was first released, I think, but I've searched high and low and can't find it. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 03:45:14 AM »

I'm listening to it now, you did a really great job. In my opinion, this is definitely something the band could have, or maybe should have done. Do You Like Worms, Look, CIFOTM, Holidays and possibly Fire with vocal overdubs would have made very nice bonus tracks for the box set.

It just gives the tracks a feeling of completion. And with more 'artistic integrity' than flowing in some of these vocals.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 04:16:25 AM »

Good vocal performances in my opinion.  You're obviously never going to sound like the guys, but why should you.  So thumbs up from me on that.

I think your dissatisfaction may come from how it has been mixed/recorded.  At times your vocals sound a little dry or dull compared to the boys'.  This is particularly jarring on the Plymouth Rock verses for me.  Or they don't always blend with the instrumental tracks.  I guess it's difficult if you're not recording at 1960s Western/Columbia etc.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 07:26:47 AM »

First, I would try double tracking your vocals, they sound a bit dry.  The vocal work otherwise, sounds really good.   Cheesy
IAmTheMilkMan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 04:51:16 AM »

Thanks for the feedback you three. I agree, a lot of my problem might have to do with the way I recorded the vocals. I'll put a little more work into blending them in with the music, though I'm not sure how much I can do as I'm most likely just limited by my equipment.

First, I would try double tracking your vocals, they sound a bit dry.  The vocal work otherwise, sounds really good.   Cheesy

I actually did double track in quite a few places, but there were some passages where double tracking didn't work very well, like I Wanna Be Around or the beginning of Song For Children. I'll see if there is anything I can do to keep them from sounding so dry.

In my opinion, this is definitely something the band could have, or maybe should have done. Do You Like Worms, Look, CIFOTM, Holidays and possibly Fire with vocal overdubs would have made very nice bonus tracks for the box set.

I even would have accepted something like a really good Beach Boys cover band that sounded like the boys in their youth to provide the missing vocals as bonus tracks.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx