gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:58:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unreleased Track Information Station, Part II  (Read 9790 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2015, 03:33:05 PM »

IF the buyer didn't/doesn't want to share it, how then is Howie able to so definitely comment on a track/tracks from the CDs? 

Howie knows. Don't question him, he knows.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 06:24:30 PM »

Why cant I know? I paid my dues, dammit.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 06:45:48 PM »

IF the buyer didn't/doesn't want to share it, how then is Howie able to so definitely comment on a track/tracks from the CDs? 

Howie knows. Don't question him, he knows.

Why cant I know? I paid my dues, dammit.

Ask Howie

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
srealist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 07:11:36 PM »

I've never heard that a lead was recorded (and maybe lost/unheard) for Can't Wait Too Long/Been Way Too Long.  Can anyone comment further on this?
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 07:19:42 PM »

smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20088.0.html

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
srealist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »

smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20088.0.html
Thank you!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2015, 09:20:03 PM »

We've updated both lists and have gone as far back as January 1963. If anyone can help us sort through all the miscellaneous unreleased tracks (Brian productions, Honeys song, etc.) from 1962 to 1965, please help us out.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2015, 03:36:25 AM »

Apologies if it's there and I missed it, but there's the earlier version of Lady Lynda - recorded before MIU?

Yes - 1976 according to Ron Altbach.

I can find a session for "Lady Lynda" in the summer of 1977, but not before. Is there any more info?

Not really - Ron told me that the pre-L.A. (Light) version was recorded at Brother in 1976 (not 1977),
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2015, 03:38:08 AM »

Here's a few I didn't see above:

Oct. 31, 1980 - Western: FLY
Nov. 18, 1980 - Western: CANDLESTICKS, BOYS AND GIRLS, UP AGAIN
May 19, 1982 - Western: no title (Brian Wilson)
May 27, 1982 - Western: WHY DON'T YOU TELL ME WHY (Brian Wilson)
June 2, 1982 - Western: CRY LIKE A BABY, Untitled (Brian Wilson)
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2015, 05:42:47 AM »

@srealist........lead vocal by Carl. Recorded.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2015, 12:04:46 PM »

Ten Years Harmony was released as a California Music single in 1974, flip side was Don't Worry Baby.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2015, 12:17:19 PM »

Ten Years Harmony was released as a California Music single in 1974, flip side was Don't Worry Baby.

Is this available on a compilation somewhere? I have the California Music comp from 2001 but save for Jamaica Farewell (which I love, great cover!) it's pretty unlistenable.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2015, 02:55:50 PM »

Is this available on a compilation somewhere? I have the California Music comp from 2001 but save for Jamaica Farewell (which I love, great cover!) it's pretty unlistenable.

I found it online somewhere, not sure where, along with WDFFIL, Jamaica Farewell, Don't Worry Baby and Ten Years' Harmony.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2015, 03:23:18 PM »

Just a few stray observations...

"Seasons in the Sun" -- This was cut by the Beach Boys before Terry Jacks' own version, so technically not a cover per se, though the original "Le Moribond" by Jacques Brel had been recorded by several artists.

"10,000 Years Ago" -- The backing track for this was on the original DW "Bamboo" bootleg.

There's also several songs listed on the Beach Boys unreleased songs wiki page that aren't mentioned here. ("Honey Get Home", "Hot Harp", "Girlie", etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unreleased_songs_recorded_by_the_Beach_Boys

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2015, 07:58:27 AM »

I still wanna know more about "Burlesque", the Surf's Up version. (Which doesn't seem to be listed under SU, in the above list.)

All I've read about it is Reiley's comments, and sadly, we won't be hearing any more from him about it.

Anybody know? Anyone? Desper? Doe?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2015, 09:34:36 PM »

Couple of things regarding the MIU-era outtakes: the actual title (per the AFM sheet) is "BEACH Burlesque". And "Egypt" is essentially the same as "Why", as heard on MIC (the two titles were used interchangably).
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2015, 10:08:24 PM »

Here's a few I didn't see above:

Oct. 31, 1980 - Western: FLY
Nov. 18, 1980 - Western: CANDLESTICKS, BOYS AND GIRLS, UP AGAIN
May 19, 1982 - Western: no title (Brian Wilson)
May 27, 1982 - Western: WHY DON'T YOU TELL ME WHY (Brian Wilson)
June 2, 1982 - Western: CRY LIKE A BABY, Untitled (Brian Wilson)

Hey c-man, is "Why Don't You Tell Me Why" the same song as the thing Brian is singing during the "Cocaine sessions" with Dennis? And also, was this recording of "Boys and Girls" an entirely different one from the KTSA recording? And did either the '79 or the '80 version have any vocals?

Couple of things regarding the MIU-era outtakes: the actual title (per the AFM sheet) is "BEACH Burlesque". And "Egypt" is essentially the same as "Why", as heard on MIC (the two titles were used interchangably).

So from what we know, are "Burlesque" and "Beach Burlesque" the same thing? it seems doubtful to me, that Mike would be in favor of reviving a song from the early '70s that he didn't like during the MIU sessions. But maybe I'm wrong.

And also, it's never really been figured out, when is "Burlesque" from? Is it from the Surf's Up sessions? Or the Carl and the Passions sessions? And for being talked about as much as it is, how come it seems there is like no documentation on it at all? Sure seems odd.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2015, 07:38:01 AM »

Sweetdudejim, see my answers below in CAPS (which does NOT mean I'm screaming, in this case - I just did them that way so they stand out in comparison to your questions) Smiley :

Hey c-man, is "Why Don't You Tell Me Why" the same song as the thing Brian is singing during the "Cocaine sessions" with Dennis? DON'T KNOW - PROBABLY
And also, was this recording of "Boys and Girls" an entirely different one from the KTSA recording? YES - JUDGING BY THE LIST OF MUSICIANS ON THE TWO AFM SHEETS, IT'S A RE-RECORDING OF THE BASIC TRACK FROM SCRATCH. THE '79 VERSION WAS PRODUCED BY BRUCE; THE '80 VERSION WAS PRODUCED BY BRIAN. And did either the '79 or the '80 version have any vocals? BACKING VOCALS WERE RECORDED FOR THE '79 VERSION; NO VOCALS WERE APPARENTLY RECORDED FOR THE '80 REMAKE.

So from what we know, are "Burlesque" and "Beach Burlesque" the same thing? it seems doubtful to me, that Mike would be in favor of reviving a song from the early '70s that he didn't like during the MIU sessions. But maybe I'm wrong. I REALLY DON'T KNOW.

And also, it's never really been figured out, when is "Burlesque" from? Is it from the Surf's Up sessions? Or the Carl and the Passions sessions? And for being talked about as much as it is, how come it seems there is like no documentation on it at all? Sure seems odd. CAN'T SAY FOR SURE WHEN IT'S FROM (MY GUESS IS CATP SESSIONS, BUT THAT'S JUST A GUESS). AS FOR THE COMPLETE LACK OF DOCUMENTATION - NOT WITHOUT PRECEDENT (E.G., ROOFTOP HARRY).
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2015, 08:31:47 AM »

Sweetdudejim, see my answers below in CAPS (which does NOT mean I'm screaming, in this case - I just did them that way so they stand out in comparison to your questions) Smiley :

Hey c-man, is "Why Don't You Tell Me Why" the same song as the thing Brian is singing during the "Cocaine sessions" with Dennis? DON'T KNOW - PROBABLY
And also, was this recording of "Boys and Girls" an entirely different one from the KTSA recording? YES - JUDGING BY THE LIST OF MUSICIANS ON THE TWO AFM SHEETS, IT'S A RE-RECORDING OF THE BASIC TRACK FROM SCRATCH. THE '79 VERSION WAS PRODUCED BY BRUCE; THE '80 VERSION WAS PRODUCED BY BRIAN. And did either the '79 or the '80 version have any vocals? BACKING VOCALS WERE RECORDED FOR THE '79 VERSION; NO VOCALS WERE APPARENTLY RECORDED FOR THE '80 REMAKE.

So from what we know, are "Burlesque" and "Beach Burlesque" the same thing? it seems doubtful to me, that Mike would be in favor of reviving a song from the early '70s that he didn't like during the MIU sessions. But maybe I'm wrong. I REALLY DON'T KNOW.

And also, it's never really been figured out, when is "Burlesque" from? Is it from the Surf's Up sessions? Or the Carl and the Passions sessions? And for being talked about as much as it is, how come it seems there is like no documentation on it at all? Sure seems odd. CAN'T SAY FOR SURE WHEN IT'S FROM (MY GUESS IS CATP SESSIONS, BUT THAT'S JUST A GUESS). AS FOR THE COMPLETE LACK OF DOCUMENTATION - NOT WITHOUT PRECEDENT (E.G., ROOFTOP HARRY).

Thanks c-man. This kind of info is what still makes the board an invaluable place for any Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fan.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx