gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680800 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:31:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much has Stamos contributed musically to the group over the years?  (Read 7023 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 10:49:46 AM »

Sometimes looking a bit like Leisure Suit Larry, even.

Here's to you, Stamos!
Baba looooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 09:26:53 AM »

Maybe this is the wrong place for it, but I had a terrifying dream about John Stamos last night, probably due to all the talk about him on here. In the dream, my girlfriend and I won a trip to hang out with John Stamos at his house, along with some other random dude. We all went into his indoor hot tub, and then we sat in a special room that doubled as a bathroom and as a living room, watching the NBA playoffs together. Everything in the house was white; the furniture, the walls, everything. At first, Stamos wanted nothing to do with me. He just wanted to hit on my girlfriend, squeeze her butt, and talk about the NBA with the other fellow. At one point, Dr. Love stopped by the house just to say hi - he didn't stay. Stamos and the other man began to drink - excessively. My girlfriend decided to leave and wait for me in the car, but Stamos wanted to smoke some weed with me and the other fellow, which I was all about.

So the three of us go into a back room and smoke, but next thing I know, Stamos and the other fellow were starting to get frisky with each other. Then, Stamos pulled down my pants and tried to do you-know-what! At that point, I ran out of the room. The house was now filled with guests, and it seemed a party was going on. At that point, Stamos was raging drunk and out of control. I ran outside to the car where my girlfriend was, and we tried to drive off, but we were blocked in by another guest. The police showed up, as Stamos was now outside on his tennis court, brutally beating one of his party guests. My girlfriend and I finally managed to drive off, safely into the L.A. night.

How much has Stamos contributed musically to the group? IDK, barely anything, but when he's showing up in my dreams like that, he's contributed too much, as far as I'm concerned.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 10:07:04 AM »

Maybe this is the wrong place for it, but I had a terrifying dream about John Stamos last night, probably due to all the talk about him on here. In the dream, my girlfriend and I won a trip to hang out with John Stamos at his house, along with some other random dude. We all went into his indoor hot tub, and then we sat in a special room that doubled as a bathroom and as a living room, watching the NBA playoffs together. Everything in the house was white; the furniture, the walls, everything. At first, Stamos wanted nothing to do with me. He just wanted to hit on my girlfriend, squeeze her butt, and talk about the NBA with the other fellow. At one point, Dr. Love stopped by the house just to say hi - he didn't stay. Stamos and the other man began to drink - excessively. My girlfriend decided to leave and wait for me in the car, but Stamos wanted to smoke some weed with me and the other fellow, which I was all about.

So the three of us go into a back room and smoke, but next thing I know, Stamos and the other fellow were starting to get frisky with each other. Then, Stamos pulled down my pants and tried to do you-know-what! At that point, I ran out of the room. The house was now filled with guests, and it seemed a party was going on. At that point, Stamos was raging drunk and out of control. I ran outside to the car where my girlfriend was, and we tried to drive off, but we were blocked in by another guest. The police showed up, as Stamos was now outside on his tennis court, brutally beating one of his party guests. My girlfriend and I finally managed to drive off, safely into the L.A. night.

How much has Stamos contributed musically to the group? IDK, barely anything, but when he's showing up in my dreams like that, he's contributed too much, as far as I'm concerned.

You need professional help. I know the right guy for the job.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 10:41:18 AM »

By every objective musicianship-based account I’ve heard, Stamos is an amateur musician. This isn’t a pejorative term in this case. He’s literally an amateur in that, while he has appeared on “professional” recordings and tours, he takes on playing drums or guitar as a hobby.

I wish I could find it, but there was an interview with David Marks from the very early 2000’s, some time not too long after he departed Mike’s band in 1999, and he was asked about Stamos, and he said something along the lines that Stamos would be a better musician if he took time to practice. Similar to my comment above, I took his comments as being very direct and literal. He was kind of indicating Stamos may well have the aptitude and ability to be a good musician, but because he was/is an actor by profession, he never went to great lengths to hone his musicianship.

Every time I’ve heard/seen him, he sounds like just that. He can do passable guitar and drums; he clearly is not bad for a “hobbyist” musician. But his drumming especially is sloppy. It’s the sort of thing that might sound good when he just sits on a drum kit by himself and noodles for a few moments. But it drags down an actual professional band. He’s relatively innocuous if he just plays some inaudible bongos on “Kokomo” or something.

All of this is in reference to his actual musicianship. His *stage presence* is a whole other ball of wax of course. 

Stamos is a true fan of the band, of that I’m sure. Judging by the C50 Rolling Stone profile, Stamos liked Brian’s album-ending suite more than even Mike did. I wish Stamos would have or could have done more over the years to be the world’s biggest fan and spearhead something from that point of view (convince Mike to bring up releasing archival material or something) rather than hamboning it up on stage. I also give him a tiny bit of props for at least alluding in a couple of interviews over the years to the fact that his 2000 TV miniseries was a mistake.

I agree. He definitely can drags down the band, when he's playing an important role. Check out this clip of the group playing Catch A Wave. Carl and Al sound great… But Stamos' drumming is slow, and poor all around, and it effects the whole performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBiiChCVl6k
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 11:08:17 AM »

Wasn't Stamos supposed to be the executive producer of some Mamma Mia / Rock of Ages musical movie, most likely featuring some half a$$ed story set to extremely mediocre versions of classic Beach Boys songs? 

I think this thing, which we can only hope gets stuck in production Hell, was supposed to be called All Summer Long.  As in, if you buy a ticket to this movie, you'll regret it all summer long, and probably well into fall and winter. 
Seriously, that is the main problem. Rarely does Beach Boys music sound great other than by the Beach Boys. If it ever gets off the ground, maybe he'll hire Brian's band to play the music. The bigger issue is finding actors who can capture some of that vocal blend that creates much of the magic in their songs.

The main problem is that movies like Momma Mia and Across the Universe SUCK. Even if you like the songs, and even if they're done justice, the story inevitably sucks because it's just an excuse to stitch together 20~30 unrelated tracks together any way possible. Musicals should just be original and classic pop songs should just be left alone.

Except for Moulin Rouge. That was pretty awesome...

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2015, 11:15:42 AM »

Even if you don't like that sort of thing, it's tough to resist Jim Broadbent singing "Like a Virgin."

I doubt Stamos' project will ever get off the ground. "An American Family" was bad enough!
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 01:10:36 PM »

re that youtube clip: too many fills (see Kowalski, Mike).  Just play the song, man.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 04:23:41 PM »

Musically?

How many times has he performed with or recorded with the Beach Boys?  Quite a few I would guess.  The guy obviously deserves some kind of recognition...I mean REALLY!!!  So let's recognize him for what he's added to the BIG picture...to the legacy. 3D

That said ... let me pull a number out of the sky.  Let's say 16.  Might be more.  Might be less.  WHATEVER the actual number is...in order to figure out HOW MUCH John has contributed...multiply it by zero.

I mean really.  'Forever'?  Are you kidding?  And on an 'official' album with the Beach Boys NAME on it...and...Carl Wilson too???  Can we use minus [negative] numbers?  What The PHUQUE were 'they' thinking?

And now...The Beatles...with the 2 Ronnies?  I don't think so. Roll Eyes

Whoever thought that THAT was a good idea is an out and out DINK.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 06:18:20 PM »

Stamos' drumming is fine in that clip of catch a wave. It's started too slow before he comes in, so I doubt there was much he could do.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 06:47:37 PM »

Stamos' drumming is fine in that clip of catch a wave. It's started too slow before he comes in, so I doubt there was much he could do.

Catch a Wave is a semi-deep cut. What are the deepest cuts that Stamos has been the main drummer on?
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 07:11:23 PM »

Catch a Wave is a semi-deep cut. What are the deepest cuts that Stamos has been the main drummer on?

is it? Its one of their hits, fairly well known, about the usual surfing stuff...I dont consider it a deep cut at all.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 07:13:35 PM »

is it? Its one of their hits, fairly well known, about the usual surfing stuff...I dont consider it a deep cut at all.
It's a fairly regular song I their set list, but it was never a hit, at least here in the U.S..

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 07:23:21 PM »

I think Catch A Wave was a song that was never a hit, but everyone knows. It was actually the first time I heard the BBs, I was listening to Oldies radio, and the DJ played Surfin USA' going straight into Catch A Wave. Hearing those two songs on the radio changed my life forever. I've been a fan ever since. Anyway about Stamos, I think he's a HUGE fan, who also happens to play drums, guitar, percussion, and sings (All averagely) and happens to have the right connections. He seems like a good guy, so I can't really say anything bad about him. 
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2015, 06:09:07 AM »

I think Catch a Wave is a song that has grown in stature due to it's inclusion in many of the greatest hits packages (i.e. Endless Summer, Good Vibrations, Greatest Hits: Volume 1, 50 Big Ones, etc.). While it wasn't a single from Surfer Girl, in hindsight, it probably could have been the fourth single from that album. Definitely more well known than Hawaii.
TommyPlural
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2015, 03:10:27 PM »

Not so much a musical contribution, but besides Stamos, how many non-Beach Boys have been presented as "members" of the band in TV appearances and such? He does occupy a rare position in being featured essentially as a member when he's done TV appearances with them, despite the fact that his "official" projects with the group mostly consist of the "Forever" re-record and producing "An American Family." Aside from Stamos, I can only really think of Matt Jardine and Jeff Foskett having a similar role (as in, sometimes being interviewed alongside the band and being addressed by name and not as just a faceless backing guy). Maybe it's because of this that I think of those guys as being "almost Beach Boys" in ways that most of the other backing band members haven't (though Scott Totten and John Cowsill are probably deserving of this too, as far as the modern touring band goes). Billy Hinsche and Bobby Figueroa maybe... Mike Kowalski and Ed Carter possibly? They were all fairly prominently featured at times but how often were they introduced outside of occasional concert spotlights? Sorry, that turned into a ramble!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 03:14:35 PM »

If Mike ever authorizes his own biopic with heavy Stamos input, it needs to be called Mike Love & Have Mercy.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »

If Mike ever authorizes his own biopic with heavy Stamos input, it needs to be called Mike Love & Have Mercy.

Nice!
KDS
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2015, 06:50:50 AM »

That sort of happened already with American Family.  Stamos help put it together, and makes a cameo at the end (if you blink you miss him as The Beach Boys drummer - was he supposed to be Ricky???).  And that movie heavily skews towards Mike's version of the BB story. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx