gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 06:07:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much has Stamos contributed musically to the group over the years?  (Read 7026 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2015, 01:09:14 PM »

Was Stamos the actual main drummer for some occasional shows in the '90s and beyond?

And has he ever played an entire set of songs with the band on drums, or did he just learn some specific songs to guest on?  I'm curious what the "deepest" cuts are that he learned to play on.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 01:31:19 PM »

So very much. His musical contributions can only be compared to the cultural shift brought on by "Student Demonstration Time." It's that level of magnitude and don't you ever forget it! The way he bashes along while the real drummer gives him a dirty look? That's just sheer jealousy from those guys. They know if he wanted their job, he could have it like THAT.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:33:41 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 01:34:59 PM »

So very much. His musical contributions can only be compared to the cultural shift brought on by "Student Demonstration Time." It's that level of magnitude and don't you ever forget it! The way he bashes along while the real drummer gives him a dirty look? That's just sheer jealousy from those guys. They know if he wanted their job, he could have it like THAT.

Is that the worst example of sweatstains on an onstage BB bandmember? Yikes, Uncle Jesse - how rude!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 01:38:20 PM »

From what I can tell, he's more of a fan than an actual band member.
He sang lead of the 1992 version of "Forever". It's not as good as Dennis singing lead, but it's not bad.
He drums along with the BB main drummer usually when he shows up at concerts.
He also will play guitar and sing, but I doubt his guitar is audible, and for old time's sake, he'll play percussion on Kokomo.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »

Sometimes looking a bit like Leisure Suit Larry, even.

Here's to you, Stamos!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 01:46:10 PM »

By every objective musicianship-based account I’ve heard, Stamos is an amateur musician. This isn’t a pejorative term in this case. He’s literally an amateur in that, while he has appeared on “professional” recordings and tours, he takes on playing drums or guitar as a hobby.

I wish I could find it, but there was an interview with David Marks from the very early 2000’s, some time not too long after he departed Mike’s band in 1999, and he was asked about Stamos, and he said something along the lines that Stamos would be a better musician if he took time to practice. Similar to my comment above, I took his comments as being very direct and literal. He was kind of indicating Stamos may well have the aptitude and ability to be a good musician, but because he was/is an actor by profession, he never went to great lengths to hone his musicianship.

Every time I’ve heard/seen him, he sounds like just that. He can do passable guitar and drums; he clearly is not bad for a “hobbyist” musician. But his drumming especially is sloppy. It’s the sort of thing that might sound good when he just sits on a drum kit by himself and noodles for a few moments. But it drags down an actual professional band. He’s relatively innocuous if he just plays some inaudible bongos on “Kokomo” or something.

All of this is in reference to his actual musicianship. His *stage presence* is a whole other ball of wax of course. 

Stamos is a true fan of the band, of that I’m sure. Judging by the C50 Rolling Stone profile, Stamos liked Brian’s album-ending suite more than even Mike did. I wish Stamos would have or could have done more over the years to be the world’s biggest fan and spearhead something from that point of view (convince Mike to bring up releasing archival material or something) rather than hamboning it up on stage. I also give him a tiny bit of props for at least alluding in a couple of interviews over the years to the fact that his 2000 TV miniseries was a mistake.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 02:02:31 PM »

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“We live in divisive times.”
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 02:08:50 PM »

Didnt he save the day at one of the C50 shows and sang Forever, to the delight of millions of fans worldwide?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 02:15:06 PM »

He's contributed the everyman status of "luckiest fan in the world." Whether that's musical or otherwise is conjecture.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 02:16:03 PM »

Didnt he save the day at one of the C50 shows and sang Forever, to the delight of millions of fans worldwide?

Don't get me started about that...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 02:20:04 PM »

Who could forget... THE STAMOS INCIDENT.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 02:22:45 PM »

Here's a question... what would have happened if Stamos, and not Taylor Hawkins, had been the one to sing Holy Man on the POB 2008 reissue?

And what if a young Taylor Hawkins had sang Forever on the '92 SIP instead of Stamos... would it be better regarded?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »

Don't get me started about that...

Grin

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
KDS
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 07:50:35 AM »

Wasn't Stamos supposed to be the executive producer of some Mamma Mia / Rock of Ages musical movie, most likely featuring some half a$$ed story set to extremely mediocre versions of classic Beach Boys songs? 

I think this thing, which we can only hope gets stuck in production Hell, was supposed to be called All Summer Long.  As in, if you buy a ticket to this movie, you'll regret it all summer long, and probably well into fall and winter. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 08:00:23 AM »

Wasn't Stamos supposed to be the executive producer of some Mamma Mia / Rock of Ages musical movie, most likely featuring some half a$$ed story set to extremely mediocre versions of classic Beach Boys songs? 

I think this thing, which we can only hope gets stuck in production Hell, was supposed to be called All Summer Long.  As in, if you buy a ticket to this movie, you'll regret it all summer long, and probably well into fall and winter. 
Seriously, that is the main problem. Rarely does Beach Boys music sound great other than by the Beach Boys. If it ever gets off the ground, maybe he'll hire Brian's band to play the music. The bigger issue is finding actors who can capture some of that vocal blend that creates much of the magic in their songs.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 08:06:29 AM »

Seriously, that is the main problem. Rarely does Beach Boys music sound great other than by the Beach Boys. If it ever gets off the ground, maybe he'll hire Brian's band to play the music. The bigger issue is finding actors who can capture some of that vocal blend that creates much of the magic in their songs.

Unfortunately, I doubt Uncle Jesse would contact Brian's band.  He'd probably do Broadway type arrangements of the songs, which won't do them justice. 

If it happens, it'll probably be a nice payday for Mike, Brian, Al, and Carl's estate, but many tweens will have terrible versions of classic songs on their MP3 devices (ie. Glee). 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 01:52:27 PM »

He drums along with the BB main drummer usually when he shows up at concerts.

Wasn't Stamos the main drummer on the entire setlist for some shows, and not just filling the role of an additional percussionist?
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 03:26:45 PM »

Here's a question... what would have happened if Stamos, and not Taylor Hawkins, had been the one to sing Holy Man on the POB 2008 reissue?

And what if a young Taylor Hawkins had sang Forever on the '92 SIP instead of Stamos... would it be better regarded?

It's blatantly obvious that 1) Taylor is a better singer and 2) he sounds much more like Dennis

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 03:38:56 PM by My Brother Woody » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 04:23:01 PM »

It's blatantly obvious that 1) Taylor is a better singer and 2) he sounds much more like Dennis

Agreed on both counts. Still, I wonder if there would still have been the same level of Forever '92 SIP backlash, or if that was in part because one of them played Uncle Jesse on a super cheesy show, and one didn't.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »

The main problem is that movies like Momma Mia and Across the Universe SUCK. Even if you like the songs, and even if they're done justice, the story inevitably sucks because it's just an excuse to stitch together 20~30 unrelated tracks together any way possible. Musicals should just be original and classic pop songs should just be left alone.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 05:27:38 PM »

The main problem is that movies like Momma Mia and Across the Universe SUCK. Even if you like the songs, and even if they're done justice, the story inevitably sucks because it's just an excuse to stitch together 20~30 unrelated tracks together any way possible. Musicals should just be original and classic pop songs should just be left alone.
I agree with you, but it seems to have worked for the 4 Seasons.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 06:32:17 PM »

What has Stamps contributed?

His hair?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 06:48:19 PM »

Stamos catches a lot of flack on this board.  I don't think he really has pretended to be anything, other than what he has said in concert, that he considers himself to be the luckiest guy in the world each time he gets on stage with The Beach Boys.  If you had the chance to sit in on songs with BB/BW whenever your schedule allowed it, wouldn't you?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 08:13:50 AM »

Stamos catches a lot of flack on this board.  I don't think he really has pretended to be anything, other than what he has said in concert, that he considers himself to be the luckiest guy in the world each time he gets on stage with The Beach Boys.  If you had the chance to sit in on songs with BB/BW whenever your schedule allowed it, wouldn't you?

To be honest...no. Because I cant sing or play any instrument and my doing so would detract from everyone else's experience. Maybe in Stamos case he feels he's talented enough to warrant it, and Ive never seen him live so I cant say, but judging from the popular consensus that doesnt quite seem to be the case.

I used to watch reruns of Full House and Im ashamed to admit that very-young me liked it at the time. I already liked the Beach Boys but the fact that "cool" Uncle Jessie like them too legitimized my taste at the time. Now...it's just embarrassing to think that I liked the show and that the band is tied to it with lame cameo appearances. That's not Stamos' fault, but the made for tv movie and now apparently a Mamma Mia-esque movie/play are. Sure I guess he attracts some women or whatever, but overall he's done more to harm the bands image than help, which is why he gets flak.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 09:37:19 AM »

To be honest...no. Because I cant sing or play any instrument and my doing so would detract from everyone else's experience. Maybe in Stamos case he feels he's talented enough to warrant it, and Ive never seen him live so I cant say, but judging from the popular consensus that doesnt quite seem to be the case.

I used to watch reruns of Full House and Im ashamed to admit that very-young me liked it at the time. I already liked the Beach Boys but the fact that "cool" Uncle Jessie like them too legitimized my taste at the time. Now...it's just embarrassing to think that I liked the show and that the band is tied to it with lame cameo appearances. That's not Stamos' fault, but the made for tv movie and now apparently a Mamma Mia-esque movie/play are. Sure I guess he attracts some women or whatever, but overall he's done more to harm the bands image than help, which is why he gets flak.
I have to ask just for a different view point. I've been a fan since 1964. Seen "The Beach Boys" over 30 times. Why does having John Stamos on stage with them not bother me? He really doesn't sing, at least to hear him above the other vocalists. When playing guitar can barely hear what he is playing. Maybe plays on one or two songs on the drums. How does what he do tarnish the image, when most people at the show enjoy him being there? Is he tarnishing only your image or are you lumping in very fan when you say this? I read a lot of stuff regarding this band and except for a few blogs I never read a mention of how Stamos is tarnishing the band. I read more about Stamos here than anywhere else. When reading about their legacy, you rarely read more than a few sentences regarding them as a live band. The legacy talk is always in regard to their studio output. Their legacy is intact no matter who shows up on stage with them or whether any of them ever take the stage again. Their legacy is first and foremost the music.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,