gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:22:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite BB stories?  (Read 5943 times)
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2015, 12:25:35 PM »

Over the years, there have been many famous tales about what went on in the life of the BB. Who could forget the classic, "Dont f*ck with the formula, Bri"? So, post your favorite Beach Boys stories/moments.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 01:35:54 PM »

Who could forget the classic, "Dont f*ck with the formula, Bri"?

Who indeed. Certainly not the Capitol suit who said it in spring 1966.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 01:42:02 PM »

Over the years, there have been many famous tales about what went on in the life of the BB. Who could forget the classic, "Dont f*ck with the formula, Bri"? So, post your favorite Beach Boys stories/moments.

Pretty much any anecdote surrounding the SMiLE sessions. Sitting around smoking hash with VDP in the sandbox, chilling in the arab tent, playing acetates for friends (and knowing which is which just by the grooves), conducting dinner guests in a symphony of silverware, setting a trashcan on fire, and just the mental image of the Boys coming back and with no explanation Brian commanding them to act like chickens and pigs. Everything about that time period fascinates me, and more than anything I wish I had been there. No other sessions for any other album will ever be half as interesting.

Aside from that, theres the story of Brian going missing for I think a solid 24 or maybe it was even 48 hours (havent read that book in years) and they finally found him playing piano at a gay bar. Where did he go before then, how did he end up there, what happened all the time he was there before they found him?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 02:39:25 PM »

Mike OD'ing on meditation and the car chase that followed... I mean, WTF?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 06:03:29 PM »

The story about Gary Usher's wife and Brian with the golf club never fails to make me burst out laughing  LOL
KDS
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 10:39:51 AM »

I always liked the story of Brian responding to Capital's demands for the next single, which was the in progress Good Vibrations, will prerecorded one to two word answers.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 11:14:34 AM »

And then there's also Brian painting his face green for his introduction to Warner execs.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »

Who could forget the classic, "Dont f*ck with the formula, Bri"?

Who indeed. Certainly not the Capitol suit who said it in spring 1966.  Grin

I thought you said it at the '85 sessions.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 01:10:30 PM »

I think it was petsite who once shared a story of meeting Brian and Dennis in 1981. Not a particularly cheerful story but for some reason I always found it pretty fascinating.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 04:52:42 PM »

I think it was petsite who once shared a story of meeting Brian and Dennis in 1981. Not a particularly cheerful story but for some reason I always found it pretty fascinating.

care to elaborate?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 08:48:21 AM »

I like the story about Brian asking people to introduce him to John Lennon, several times during a party. John told the others around him "We've met many times. He's not well you know"

Also, Brian recording Shortning Bread with Alice Cooper, Iggy Pop and others. They were kind of weirded out by Brian and left.

Brian going to Keith Moon's birthday party in a bath robe.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 03:41:14 PM »

Dennis Wilson having a relationship with Mike Loves Daughter always makes me laugh,. I'm sure that was a hoot and a holler..
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 02:35:12 PM »

Hmm… I have a few…
1 Brian chopping Elvis' arm.
2 Dennis bringing the gold miners a BB gold record.
3 Alan at the airport, trying to flush a toilet, and when someone finally helped him, he says "Im not too good with computers"
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 05:06:04 PM »

Hmm… I have a few…
3 Alan at the airport, trying to flush a toilet, and when someone finally helped him, he says "Im not too good with computers"

Not quite...

Jardine is often a little lost. On the plane from Tampa to New York, he couldn't figure out how to flush the toilet, so he had to ask the stewardess. "Oh, that one!" he said. "I'm not very good at computers, either."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-beach-boys-last-wave-20120621

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 05:24:42 PM »

Hmm… I have a few…

Not quite...

Jardine is often a little lost. On the plane from Tampa to New York, he couldn't figure out how to flush the toilet, so he had to ask the stewardess. "Oh, that one!" he said. "I'm not very good at computers, either."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-beach-boys-last-wave-20120621

Ahh… Well, I got the jist of the story…
KDS
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 05:30:05 AM »

Also, Brian recording Shortning Bread with Alice Cooper, Iggy Pop and others. They were kind of weirded out by Brian and left.

I love this story.  I think Iggy Pop was the one who said, after Brian had been playing Shortenin Bread for about an hour, "This guy's nuts!!"
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 06:31:14 PM »

I love this story.  I think Iggy Pop was the one who said, after Brian had been playing Shortenin Bread for about an hour, "This guy's nuts!!"

Reminds me of the commercial with David Robinson and Dennis Rodman. David liked to eat the pizza crust first, to which Dennis replied
"You're weird Dave!" Quite funny, since David is normal and Dennis covered in tatoos, peircings and a different color hair every day!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 07:24:53 PM »

Mike OD'ing on meditation and the car chase that followed... I mean, WTF?
Is this  a real story?!? I've never heard it!
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 06:37:10 AM »

Yes, it happened in early 1970 when Mike was on a fast. He had to be chased by his family by car and Brian had to take his place for a few concerts.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 07:03:28 AM »

I actually got a Brian story out of Peter Frampton once. I asked him if he had a crazy or funny Brian story as a number of industry folks seem to have, and he said he did have one. Brian was backstage at a Frampton concert probably circa ’77 (during the height of the “Frampton Comes Alive” era I’m sure), and Frampton saw Brian and told him how big of a fan he was, etc. Genuinely a big Brian fan. Then tells Brian “I hope you enjoy the show.” Brian responds, “I’m not staying, I brought my daughters; they wanted to see your show.”

Burn! Frampton seemed to find it hilarious in retrospect.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 05:06:11 AM »

One of my favorites is that Brian once signed an album for Don Henley, wrote "To a great musician" on it, looked at Henley, scratched "great", wrote "good" instead, and handed him the album...
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 02:03:09 PM »

Yes, it happened in early 1970 when Mike was on a fast. He had to be chased by his family by car and Brian had to take his place for a few concerts.
Supposedly Mike said he was "tainted by the Wilson blood". I've always loved that line.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 03:32:19 PM »

Such a great line. Wasn't he also hospitalized then? Not a subject Wink brought up.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 03:05:21 AM »

The Bono/diet coke story is a killer.

NY Times, November 19th 2006:

“[backstage at a British awards ceremony] U2’s Bono got down on one knee to express how much Brian had moved and inspired him,” says Sahanaja. “Brian’s reply was ‘Thanks. Can you get me a Diet Coke?'”

And to his eternal credit, he did.  Grin

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 05:30:57 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KDS
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 06:38:59 AM »

The Bono/diet coke story is a killer.

NY Times, November 19th 2006:

“[backstage at a British awards ceremony] U2’s Bono got down on one knee to express how much Brian had moved and inspired him,” says Sahanaja. “Brian’s reply was ‘Thanks. Can you get me a Diet Coke?'”

And to his eternal credit, he did.  Grin

I heard a great Bono story from Ronnie James Dio. 

At a U2 show, Bono went on one of his mid song political ramblings, rhythmically clapped his hands, and said

"Everytime I clap my hands, a child dies of hunger"

And somebody in the audience yelled, "Stop clapping your hands, you sick bastard!!" 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx