gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:24:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The songs that saved the album..  (Read 13438 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2015, 09:30:26 AM »

Yes KDS I was saying that but ''mikebeard' doesn't agree that love you was brians album w the BB name attached to it w their minor contribution and other random parts he highlighted maybe because of how it was phrased cuz there's nothing incorrect about the synopsis, maybe just a misconstrued.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2015, 09:32:44 AM »

And four of the cuts on MIU were recorded a year earlier than the others- peggy sue, come go w me, my diane and tomboy, all 76.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2015, 09:40:02 AM »

Yes KDS I was saying that but ''mikebeard' doesn't agree that love you was brians album w the BB name attached to it w their minor contribution and other random parts he highlighted maybe because of how it was phrased cuz there's nothing incorrect about the synopsis, maybe just a misconstrued.
Exactly what minor contributions? Lead vocals?, Background vocals? Playing the instruments? Mixdown Producing?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »

And four of the cuts on MIU were recorded a year earlier than the others- peggy sue, come go w me, my diane and tomboy, all 76.
They were all started earlier, but were all worked on at MIU, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2015, 10:00:36 AM »

Exactly what minor contributions? Lead vocals?, Background vocals? Playing the instruments? Mixdown Producing?

Leads

1.      "Let Us Go On This Way"    Carl
2.    "Roller Skating Child"      Mike
3.    "Mona"                              Dennis
4.    "Johnny Carson"              Mike & Carl
5.    "Good Time"                      Brian
6.    "Honkin' Down the Highway"  Al    
7.    "Ding Dang"                       Mike
Side two    

1.    "Solar System"              Brian
2.    "The Night Was So Young"   Carl   
3.    "I'll Bet He's Nice"               Dennis, Brian and Carl
4.    "Let's Put Our Hearts Together"      Brian and wife
5.    "I Wanna Pick You Up"       Dennis
6.    "Airplane"                       Mike & Brian
7.    "Love Is a Woman"              Brian & Mike

Solo album my ass.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
KDS
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2015, 10:03:55 AM »

While I'm definitely not a huge fan of Love You, it's definitely a Beach Boys album.  It may have been originally intended as a Brian Wilson album, but the full group contributes. 

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2015, 12:37:58 PM »

Yeah, I can't stand that offhand statements like "Pet Sounds and Love You are basically Brian's solo albums" gets turned into "these albums are Brian's solo albums, and The Beach Boys had little to do with them." It's just not true. As far as I know, none of Brian's Beach Boy albums were ever supposed to be solo.

On the other hand, you have a band like Fleetwood Mac, who actually has taken what were going to be solo albums from their members and reconfigured them into group albums. For instance, they took Lindsey Buckingham's work for what he thought was going to be his third album and transitioned it into the Mac album Tango In The Night. Same thing happened with Lindsey tried to again make his third album in early part of this century. And once again the Mac came a-callin' and he mixed his material with Stevie Nicks and we got the album, Say You Will. Now it must be said, it was Lindsey's decision to transition those solo projects into Mac projects. But regardless, the beginnings of those projects were solo. Not the stuff Brian's done with The Beach Boys, outside of, say, "In My Car."
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2015, 12:49:15 PM »

And TWGMTR.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2015, 12:57:53 PM »

Leads

1.      "Let Us Go On This Way"    Carl
2.    "Roller Skating Child"      Mike
3.    "Mona"                              Dennis
4.    "Johnny Carson"              Mike & Carl
5.    "Good Time"                      Brian
6.    "Honkin' Down the Highway"  Al    
7.    "Ding Dang"                       Mike
Side two    

1.    "Solar System"              Brian
2.    "The Night Was So Young"   Carl   
3.    "I'll Bet He's Nice"               Dennis, Brian and Carl
4.    "Let's Put Our Hearts Together"      Brian and wife
5.    "I Wanna Pick You Up"       Dennis
6.    "Airplane"                       Mike & Brian
7.    "Love Is a Woman"              Brian & Mike

Solo album my ass.
I agree 100%.  There were a LOT of GREAT vocals from the BBs on Love You.  Took me a while to appreciate "Love You" but boy I really like it, beautiful melodies, great song writing and YEAH lots of crazy quirkiness!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2015, 01:01:01 PM »

I couldn't think of any examples at first but on reflection I agree with KDS that the self-titled album is saved by "Getcha Back". And, thinking about it Keeping the Summer Alive is saved for me by "Oh Darlin'". I know most of you don't like that song and I admit the lyrics are terrible, but there's something really catchy and hummable about it that makes it easily the highlight for me.

So there's two albums that were saved: in the sense of being saved from being terrible, and made merely mediocre.

Please delete my account
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2015, 05:52:16 PM »

I couldn't think of any examples at first but on reflection I agree with KDS that the self-titled album is saved by "Getcha Back". And, thinking about it Keeping the Summer Alive is saved for me by "Oh Darlin'". I know most of you don't like that song and I admit the lyrics are terrible, but there's something really catchy and hummable about it that makes it easily the highlight for me.

So there's two albums that were saved: in the sense of being saved from being terrible, and made merely mediocre.
That middle section with Mike & Carl is Brian at his best. Just a terrific transition within the song.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2015, 11:17:40 PM »

Well...its pretty written in countless Beach Boys books and articles that Love You was intended to be "Brian loves you" and righ before its release  the group signed with Columbia and due to the group being signed as a group and not solo artists they were obligated to have the BB name on it. And Im very aware that Brian wasn't the only singer on the album, Im also aware that the rehashed tracks on MIU were polished during the sessions in late 77. Its so easy for people to contradict something just because they haven't said it first. Just because I dont quote something word for word doesn't mean it cant be slightly rephrased if its essentially the same.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2015, 11:58:07 PM »

Well...its pretty written in countless Beach Boys books and articles that Love You was intended to be "Brian loves you" and righ before its release  the group signed with Columbia and due to the group being signed as a group and not solo artists they were obligated to have the BB name on it. And Im very aware that Brian wasn't the only singer on the album, Im also aware that the rehashed tracks on MIU were polished during the sessions in late 77. Its so easy for people to contradict something just because they haven't said it first. Just because I dont quote something word for word doesn't mean it cant be slightly rephrased if its essentially the same.

I get the point you're making bud, but at the same time if it didn't get released as a solo album and has significant contributions by the rest of the band then how close is that really to a solo album?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2015, 12:22:43 AM »

It doesn't help that he's getting his facts twisted either.
Brian demoed many of the songs he written as part of his therapy sessions with Landy. Initially the idea was that Brian would use them for a solo project titled 'Brian's In Love'. This changed when the band heard them and wanted to use them for the basis of the next group record. With Brian firmly at the helm he then recorded THE BAND'S next album with FULL PARTICIPATION from THE BAND with a working title of 'Brian Loves You'. The title was changed to just 'Love You' at some point before it's release. Also worth noting that Carl reworked much of the album after Brian handed in his proposed completed mix, hence his 'mixdown producer' credit.

SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2015, 12:35:54 AM »

It doesn't help that he's getting his facts twisted either.
Brian demoed many of the songs he written as part of his therapy sessions with Landy. Initially the idea was that Brian would use them for a solo project titled 'Brian's In Love'. This changed when the band heard them and wanted to use them for the basis of the next group record. With Brian firmly at the helm he then recorded THE BAND'S next album with FULL PARTICIPATION from THE BAND with a working title of 'Brian Loves You'. The title was changed to just 'Love You' at some point before it's release. Also worth noting that Carl reworked much of the album after Brian handed in his proposed completed mix, hence his 'mixdown producer' credit.

Yep thats the plot. As we know there is the recording of I'll Bet He's Nice being demoed presumably to the rest of the band to which I think Mike says:
'sh*t, ain't that a motherfucker"
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2015, 12:56:39 AM »

Also unless a contract explicity covers solo endeavours as part of it's terms, a band member of a signed group can't just hand in a solo album to it's label. If that were the case then Dennis could have just gave Warners POB and told them to release it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 12:59:10 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2015, 10:44:39 AM »

Yep. Definitely THE last legitimate BBs album and not a hastily thrown together soulless product like the 3 albums that followed.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2015, 08:07:25 AM »

<<Its so easy for people to contradict something just because they haven't said it first. Just because I dont quote something word for word doesn't mean it cant be slightly rephrased if its essentially the same.>>

Or as the great Robert McCloskey once said,

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx