gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:01:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could you make two distinct albums from "Sweet Insanity" and "GIOMH"?  (Read 3590 times)
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2015, 08:45:58 AM »

I know there's some overlap between songs on the unreleased "Sweet Insanity" and "Gettin' In Over My Head." I'm curious if there was enough material from the "GIOMH" sessions to not have borrowed from the "Insanity" tracks, and if anyone has ever put together their own version of "GIOMH" that only includes songs that were *not* part of the original "Insanity" tracklist.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 08:48:43 AM »

I know there's some overlap between songs on the unreleased "Sweet Insanity" and "Gettin' In Over My Head." I'm curious if there was enough material from the "GIOMH" sessions to not have borrowed from the "Insanity" tracks, and if anyone has ever put together their own version of "GIOMH" that only includes songs that were *not* part of the original "Insanity" tracklist.

As long as Smart Girls is part of the equation, anything (including world peace, levitation, teleportation, and limb regeneration) is possible.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 08:56:59 AM »

"Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."

That's how I feel about revisiting either of those albums. LOL

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 04:17:33 PM »

A few unused songs off the top of my head:

Spirit of Rock n Roll
This Isn't Love
I Sleep Alone
Chain Reaction of Love
Smart Girls

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 12:12:30 PM »

Could make one decent album from the two but would need to go into the studio again and start from scratch on all of it.   
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 01:40:08 PM »

What? A remake of SI minus the musical genius of Gene Landy? You guys kill me.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 01:52:26 PM »

I know, right? That sh*t belongs in the unpopular opinions thread!

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »

Save for I think three songs, GIOMH is all re-recordings from either Sweet Insanity or the Paley sessions. There is definitely a lot of material from the Paley sessions that fans have been wanting released for years.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 04:02:55 PM »

Save for I think three songs, GIOMH is all re-recordings from either Sweet Insanity or the Paley sessions. There is definitely a lot of material from the Paley sessions that fans have been wanting released for years.
yes in it's original form not re-recorded,,,,except vocals,,Brian can re-record the vocals,..but the music and the wall of sound production needs to stay.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 07:36:55 PM »

yes in it's original form not re-recorded,,,,except vocals,,Brian can re-record the vocals,..but the music and the wall of sound production needs to stay.
That's an interesting approach.....really
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 08:04:26 PM »

well didn't Brian redo the vocals for the MIC release of "You're still a mystery"? he could do the same with the rest..
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 08:24:00 PM »

well didn't Brian redo the vocals for the MIC release of "You're still a mystery"? he could do the same with the rest..
If they are overly processed?  No thanks.  Keep the originals...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 10:45:14 PM »

Only 'new' song on there is 'A Friend Like You'. *Everything* else was a remake.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 08:05:08 AM »

I think those vocals date from the Imagination sessions.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 09:37:56 AM »

oh okay..but it still could be done..I'm assuming one reason he doesn't want them released is because of his vocals on some of the songs...of course I could be wrong though
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 12:11:58 PM »

A couple of years later, actually.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 12:20:11 PM »

Only 'new' song on there is 'A Friend Like You'. *Everything* else was a remake.

Not quite true.

"How Could We Still Be Dancin'" was written for the follow up to Imagination -- which GIOMH was -- and I don't think there's any evidence it was recorded prior to the GIOMH sessions.

"You Touched Me" is built on the chords of "So Long" but has a somewhat different melody and swing to it (not to mention the new tag).

For that matter, "The Waltz" and "Fairy Tale" have totally different lyrics than their previous incarnations (and the latter another newly composed tag), and "City Blues" had never been recorded beyond the demo stage (Scott B. also wrote an extra verse).

The earlier version of "Desert Drive" never had vocals recorded, so it's hard to say the GIOMH version is a remake, and Soul Searchin' and Saturday Morning in the City aren't even remade -- they're the original versions with a handful of new vocal parts.

By that metric, there are only four front-to-back remakes on GIOM. That is, cases where you can find an earlier, different version that includes a full-band arrangement, lead vocals, and mostly similar lyrics. (And they are, just for reference, the title track, Make a Wish, Rainbow Eyes and DLHKSAA.)
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 01:37:29 PM »

Do we know what other outtakes exist for "Imagination"? "Still A Mystery" and "Soul Searchin'' were attempted during those sessions, right?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 01:42:47 PM »

There was an interview with Joe Thomas at the time, and I remember one of the titles was "Melinda Honey," which was a remake of "My Maryann."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 02:57:07 PM »

There was an interview with Joe Thomas at the time, and I remember one of the titles was "Melinda Honey," which was a remake of "My Maryann."

I remember the title of Melinda Honey, but I've never seen it linked to My Mary Anne before.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 02:58:21 PM »

Do we know what other outtakes exist for "Imagination"? "Still A Mystery" and "Soul Searchin'' were attempted during those sessions, right?

Well, a good chunk of TWGMTR and at least some of NPP were written at the time. They may have been tracked then too, I have no idea.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 03:49:01 PM »

Here's how I imagine it... (pay attention BRI lol )

Brian Wilson "Chain Reaction of Love" (2 versions, one stereo cd version and one wall of sound mono vinyl version maybe even a mono cd exclusive)
(I exclude "Proud Mary" and "Frankie Avalon" because I imagine them being on the RnR album,, * indicates Previously released)

1. Chain Reaction of Love
2. In my Moondreams*
3.Market Place
4.Mary Anne (or whatever it is now called)
5.Must be a miracle
6. This song wants to sleep with you tonight*
7.God Did it
8.I'm Broke
9. The Boogies back in town
10.It's not easy being me
11. Elbow 63
12. What Rock n roll can do
13. Everything's alright with the world
14.Some sweet day
15. Slightly American Music
Bonus Tracks
16. Sweet for my sweets*
17. This could be the night*
18. Desert Drive (Instrumental version)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 04:27:05 PM »

Here's how I imagine it... (pay attention BRI lol )

Brian Wilson "Chain Reaction of Love" (2 versions, one stereo cd version and one wall of sound mono vinyl version maybe even a mono cd exclusive)
(I exclude "Proud Mary" and "Frankie Avalon" because I imagine them being on the RnR album,, * indicates Previously released)

1. Chain Reaction of Love
2. In my Moondreams*
3.Market Place
4.Mary Anne (or whatever it is now called)
5.Must be a miracle
6. This song wants to sleep with you tonight*
7.God Did it
8.I'm Broke
9. The Boogies back in town
10.It's not easy being me
11. Elbow 63
12. What Rock n roll can do
13. Everything's alright with the world
14.Some sweet day
15. Slightly American Music
Bonus Tracks
16. Sweet for my sweets*
17. This could be the night*
18. Desert Drive (Instrumental version)

Have you heard "13. Everything's alright with the world?"  That is the only one I have not heard.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2015, 04:45:21 PM »

I haven't heard it but it's on the list that I saw from these sessions so i figure if it exists then it should be on there.,..lol... "Frankie Avalon" just isn't a good song IMO but it may fit on the RNR album....
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2015, 01:24:38 PM »

No, but you could make 2 distinct piles of crap...or just one big pile of crap.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx