gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 10:28:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl: The Family Patriarch  (Read 2202 times)
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2015, 12:14:24 AM »

Are there any documents or interviews that go into how Carl felt/was holding up while he tried to lead the band/deal with Dennis' death/get conservator ship for Brian? I've always admired Carl the most over how he managed to always stay positive and supportive and only really have the one hiccup with drugs in the mid to late seventies. Some guys with a little more knowledge I'm sure you could fill me in?
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 05:37:28 PM »

I know there's that interview from 1985ish but that's a pretty poor interview
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 05:56:33 PM »

Are there any documents or interviews that go into how Carl felt/was holding up while he tried to lead the band/deal with Dennis' death/get conservator ship for Brian? I've always admired Carl the most over how he managed to always stay positive and supportive and only really have the one hiccup with drugs in the mid to late seventies. Some guys with a little more knowledge I'm sure you could fill me in?

Not that Im aware, but Id be curious to read some too. Fantastic profile pic by the way

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 06:00:13 PM »

Not that Im aware, but Id be curious to read some too. Fantastic profile pic by the way

Thanks man, I have a big canvas version that I had my father repaint in my lounge its awesome Tongue
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 06:07:24 PM »

Carl did not do many interviews during that period. There's one in an Irish TV special on the BBs where he does speak more candidly.

Losing Dennis hurt Carl deeply. You didn't bring Denny up when talking with him, you let him speak about Denny on his own, like the time he told my husband a story from their childhood (teenaged Denny sneaking off to surf on weekends with his friends, and Audree getting worried about him).

I casually asked Carl one day in the late '80s how his brother was doing, and got to see firsthand a rare outburst of temper from him -- not aimed at me, but definitely about Landy. He was very frustrated about having contact cut off between him and Brian. This was right after Rolling Stone had broken the story about Landy's controlling ways.

First and foremost, Carl loved his brothers.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 06:10:13 PM »

Carl did not do many interviews during that period. There's one in an Irish TV special on the BBs where he does speak more candidly.

Losing Dennis hurt Carl deeply. You didn't bring Denny up when talking with him, you let him speak about Denny on his own, like the time he told my husband a story from their childhood (teenaged Denny sneaking off to surf on weekends with his friends, and Audree getting worried about him).

I casually asked Carl one day in the late '80s how his brother was doing, and got to see firsthand a rare outburst of temper from him -- not aimed at me, but definitely about Landy. He was very frustrated about having contact cut off between him and Brian. This was right after Rolling Stone had broken the story about Landy's controlling ways.

First and foremost, Carl loved his brothers.

This is good insight Emdeeh, if I may, what did Carl say about Landy?

Also is there a video of the Ireland interview?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 01:34:03 PM »

I remember a quote from some interview circa 1989 "the so-called estrangement is totally manipulated; I would love to spend more time with my brother".
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 01:55:34 PM »

SurferDownUnder, Carl confirmed what RS reported -- that Landy was preventing contact between him and Brian.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 05:32:40 AM »

SurferDownUnder, Carl confirmed what RS reported -- that Landy was preventing contact between him and Brian.

Must have been so hard on Carl  Embarrassed
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 11:38:04 AM »

It was.
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 03:30:10 PM »

My parents were heavy smokers that both died of cancer, although my mom had been smoke free for 18 years when she became I'll

The one thing that they had in common was a stressful life event that I believe was the spark that  kicked the illness off.

I can easily believe that  the Brian situation contributed to Carl's illness.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx