gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 09:50:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My interviews with Brian, Bill Pohlad and Joe Thomas in new Toronto Star piece  (Read 2486 times)
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2015, 08:48:14 AM »

Hi everyone. Not sure if this has been posted already, but here is a link to a new article I wrote for the Toronto Star.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/2015/05/31/beach-boy-brian-wilson-back-in-the-spotlight-with-a-new-movie-a-new-album-and-a-summer-tour.html

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 12:53:45 PM »

Thanks Mark!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 01:06:47 PM »

Yes, thanks for posting the link.

One question I have though is about I Am Brian Wilson.  I noticed it is listed as 'Slated for Fall 2016'.  Was this pushed back?  For some reason I thought it was coming out this fall.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:14:16 PM by JCM » Logged

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 01:13:31 PM »

That's the first interview I've read where BW opens the door to working with ML again.
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 01:18:23 PM »

Hi all,

Mark, thank you for positng this article!!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 01:33:12 PM »

Many thanks Mark, the possibility of a renewed reunion (renewdion?) is a nice breath of hope!

One corr: the M&B band is currently the M&B&D band, at least here in the UK!

Have fun…

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 03:42:19 PM »

One question I have though is about I Am Brian Wilson.  I noticed it is listed as 'Slated for Fall 2016'.  Was this pushed back?  For some reason I thought it was coming out this fall.

I think it was originally pegged for 2015 according to various articles. Frankly, given the vibe I've gotten from Mike lately in interviews (e.g. the Beard "interview"), I'm concerned what kind of slant his book is going to give things. Given the requisite promo tours on talk shows he'll probably do, I was saying some time back that it might be a good idea for Brian to wait until *after* Mike's book incase anything mentioned in that book needs to be addressed.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 04:33:26 PM »

One question I have though is about I Am Brian Wilson.  I noticed it is listed as 'Slated for Fall 2016'.  Was this pushed back?  For some reason I thought it was coming out this fall.

I think it was originally pegged for 2015 according to various articles. Frankly, given the vibe I've gotten from Mike lately in interviews (e.g. the Beard "interview"), I'm concerned what kind of slant his book is going to give things. Given the requisite promo tours on talk shows he'll probably do, I was saying some time back that it might be a good idea for Brian to wait until *after* Mike's book incase anything mentioned in that book needs to be addressed.

If Brian tried to do that, I have a feeling that Mike would then want push his back too. I think both of those guys want to see what the other is going to write so that they can have the last word. Both men are probably going to roll their eyes at parts of each others' books. I hope this doesn't fall under the umbrella of "bashing" anyone, but I'm quite sure this scenario is very probable. Of course, at some point, the guys will just have to buckle and release their books. Maybe on the same day can be a compromise.

Or perhaps this conundrum could be remedied either by a Cool, Cool Watergate break-in to take a peek at in-progress manuscripts, or simply a Kindle E-book release, where any rebuttals can easily be implemented digitally.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:40:25 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »

so it sounds like from the interview that it's up to Brian whether or not they reunite,,,the way he said it...
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 08:53:30 PM »

I wouldn't read into any possible reunion...probably just what was going through Brian's mind at that split second. I was in the Capitol Records building in 2012/2013, and 2 different people mentioned to me (parphrasing here) "I've never worked with a bunch of guys who hate each other more. Every little thing is an argument. " I work in radio now, so that's my peripheral involvement. Taking it back a ways, my step-dad Dick Curtis ran Concerts West in the mid-late 70's. He was a tour manager for Zeppelin, Dylan, Sinatra...and did a little bit with The Beach Boys. Same basic opinion; a group of guys who hated each other so much it was incredible. They all were in separate corners of any venue (despite what you've been told about the benevelent Saint Carl Wilson), and did their best to not speak to each other. As an aside, they ALWAYS unplugged Brian's microphone....said it was just groaning most of the time.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 05:22:08 AM »

That's the first interview I've read where BW opens the door to working with ML again.
It appeared that way, to me, as well.   Wink

Great article, Mark, and thanks for posting it!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 06:18:35 AM »

so it sounds like from the interview that it's up to Brian whether or not they reunite,,,the way he said it...

I think it’s pretty implicit in working together that it’s up to all of the participants, since they would have to choose to be a part of it.

It doesn’t appear as though anybody in the BB organization with the possible exception of Al are literally sitting there waiting for everybody else to get on board and work together again.

I didn’t have any epiphany reading Brian’s comments about possibly working with Mike. He usually gives a rather “meh” response to the question, usually leaning on the side of “I don’t think so” or “probably not.” In this case, he was a bit less firmly pessimistic about it. But I don’t sense that anything is imminent or that his feelings have changed much.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 06:46:43 AM »

I think it’s pretty implicit in working together that it’s up to all of the participants, since they would have to choose to be a part of it.

It doesn’t appear as though anybody in the BB organization with the possible exception of Al are literally sitting there waiting for everybody else to get on board and work together again.

I didn’t have any epiphany reading Brian’s comments about possibly working with Mike. He usually gives a rather “meh” response to the question, usually leaning on the side of “I don’t think so” or “probably not.” In this case, he was a bit less firmly pessimistic about it. But I don’t sense that anything is imminent or that his feelings have changed much.

Well, it would require a "meeting of the minds," for all concerned...And, who knew C50 would happen? The plans were were they belonged, with the "principals." 

If I've learned nothing as a BB fan, it is that there is always a very pleasant surprise or two, and which would not be "surprises" if everyone in the general and social media knew... Wink

It was an interesting interview...
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 07:05:08 AM »

"I've never worked with a bunch of guys who hate each other more.

I'm not surprised to read this in light of what was written during the 2012 tour.  So much for TM. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx