gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:35:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963 UPDATE  (Read 2453 times)
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2015, 07:01:05 AM »

The corrected proofs and Index for Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, will be returned to the publisher (McFarland) today and I should soon have a firm publication date. The book looks fantastic and I am extremely pleased with it.

It will be 404 pages, 80 photographs (out of 205 submitted), twelve appendices, 1,200 End Notes, an extensive bibliography, and index.

Some of the cool(er) photographs include Hite Morgan, Dorinda Morgan, Frank Hogan (Hogan's House of Music), the Dix brothers (there were five -- Theodore, twins Richard and Robert, Alan, and Sherman; only three were active in the record company -- Richard, Robert, and Alan), Joe Saraceno, Bill Angel (record librarian at KFWB, real name Angelo Fiorvanti), the inside of World Pacific Studio, Herb Newman, Nick Venet, Gary Usher, the band's first royalty check and the letter to Murry conveying the check, Bob Dix's telegram authorizing the X Records 301 release, Judy Bowles, Jodi Gable (their friend and first president of their fan club), David McClellan (their friend and first director of publicity who, miraculously and thankfully, saved everything), Vickie Kocher, the original work order for the "Surfin' Safari" b/w "409" single, "Surfin' Safari" b/w "409" proof labels with the music publishing for "409" listed as Murray (sic) Wilson Music not Sea of Tunes, Murry's telegram to Soupy Sales thanking him for playing "Surfin'" on his television show, Nick Venet's telegram to Murry advising him "Surfin' Safari"will enter the Cash Box chart at #91 (it entered at #92), Murry's telegram to KRLA disc jockey Jimmy O'Neill thanking him for supporting "Surfin' Safari," autographed photographs, business cards, rare records, sheet music, the odd "Ten Little Indians" picture sleeve released in Denmark, newspaper ads, tickets, handbills, posters, their first Capitol biography, cool articles from the Cougar, Hawthorne High's weekly newspaper, about the band playing in the school's boys' gymnasium (how does one find complete collections of the Cougar from 1956 through 1963? Not easily. Part of the reason the research took nine years!), one of the five photographs taken at Dykstra Hall at UCLA, three of the nine (I think there are nine, I'd have to check) stunning photographs from the rehearsals for One Man's Challenge at the Azusa Teen Club (actually, the Azusa Recreation Center), a super cool newspaper ad for a previously undocumented show in early 1963 (one of my favorite photos in the book, partially because I am reminded of the slog it took to find it, and the small fortune it cost to obtain an original and have it electronically enhanced. Looks beautiful in the book), an autographed poster from their August 8, 1963, appearance at Club Ponytail in Harbor Springs, Michigan, and great anecdotes from: Jodi Gable, David McClellan, Judy Bowles; the late Jimmy O'Neill, who booked the guys at Pandora's Box for five consecutive nights in August 1962, one of two really cool photographs of Dennis signing an autograph after the Y-Day show October 27, 1962.

The Appendices include Personal Appearances, 1961-1963; the chart history for "Surfin'" in Billboard, Cash Box, and on KFWB and KRLA; professional architectural drawings of the floor plans of Hite and Dorinda Morgan's home, 2511 Mayberry Street; Stereo Masters, 5534-5538 Melrose Avenue; and the offices of Candix Enterprises, Inc, 6425 Hollywood Boulevard [the architectural drawings were done for me by Al Dix, one of the five Dix brothers, with input from Bruce Morgan, who graciously agreed to more than 20 hours of interviews with me]; a Surfin' Revenue and Expense Stream, and Production Flow chart; the September 15, 1961, Standard Songwriter's Contract for "Surfin';" the March 29, 1962, Letter of Intent and Agreement between Murry Wilson and Hite Morgan; a cool map of the April 24-May 5, 1963, tour illustrating how they zigzagged across the Midwest in a fashion similar to the ill-fated 1959 Winter Dance Party tour; and "Dennis" an unrecorded song Dorinda Morgan wrote in February 1984 as a tribute to her favorite Beach Boy. I wanted to include the legends from the tape boxes of the Hite Morgan recordings, but they, along with many other images that didn't make the cut, will have to wait until later in the year when they are posted on the companion website.

The final chapter of the book is called Coda: The Hite Morgan Tapes--Discovery, Illumination and Litigation and will answer many of the lingering questions about the original nine Morgan recordings. The Coda was drawn from extensive interviews with Paul Urbahns, Steve Hoffman, Bruce Morgan, and a tower of legal documents collected from every lawsuit concerning the tapes going back to 1964. I spent months trying to make sense of that Maze. It's a tad dense read, but written for us non-legal types so that it will make sense.

If you like the band's early history, you are going to love this book.

I have enjoyed the band since October 1966 (yeah, that song) and am especially interested in the early days. So, in April 2006 I set about writing a book about the band's origin story that I would want to read myself. A book that would answer--or attempt to answer--all of the questions about their early history. Of course, with the Beach Boys early history, you have to know what the questions are in the first place before you can even attempt to answer them. Now, in that special place called Beach Boys' World, one learns it's best to circumvent the word "definitive." So, I stop short of calling the book definitive. An early working sub-title was Setting the Record Straight, which I liked, but wisely later scrapped. But, I believe, Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963, will come as close to the true story as we know . . . so far. And that's the key -- so far. It builds upon some of the the great pioneering work done on the band by other writers and historians, several of whom post here. Folks like Andrew G. Doe, Ian Rusten, Jon Stebbins, Peter Reum, and Brad Elliott. Brad's seminal Surf's Up! The Beach Boys On Record, 1961-1981, was a masterful work back in the day when research was really hard. He has been an invaluable help with my book. Other key works include those by Peter Ames Carlin, Doe and Tobler, David Leaf, Byron Preiss, Rusten & Stebbins, and Timothy White. Folks who should have written books include Bob Hanes, Derek Bill, and Les Chan, who left us far too soon. And super knowledgeable fellow collectors like Chris Woods. I am especially proud the book is fully footnoted, so credit goes where credit is due. You never write a book alone.

I truly expect, and genuinely hope, that additional information about the band's early history will come to light -- perhaps through  Brian's and Mike's forthcoming books, and if Alan pens his memoirs.  Al, if you're listening, I'm available June 1. I hear Monterey is beautiful this time of year.  Smiley

The book is available for pre-order at McFarland's website and Amazon. It will also be available as an e book. I'll share more information on that as it becomes available.

http://www.mcfarlandbooks.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-7365-6

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Beach-1961-1963-James-Murphy/dp/0786473657/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428332719&sr=8-1&keywords=becoming+the+beach+boys  
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:24:57 AM by Jim Murphy » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 09:19:47 AM »

Are you sure you didn't miss something? Smiley

Fantaplantastic! can't wait

“We live in divisive times.”
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 09:55:40 AM »

Thanks, John!  I appreciate your enthusiastic and always cheery support.  There were a few "stones" that went uncovered.  I'll discuss some of that on the companion website later this summer. The greatest hits and misses of researching the key players (outside the band) in the early history. I have a short list of folks with whom I would still like to speak. Maybe once the book is actually published it will spur further discussion and persuade a few people to share their perspectives.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 02:42:53 PM »

It sounds like a great release. Congratulations Jim and I look forward to reading it!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 09:45:44 PM »

Cheers Jim, I was a big disgruntled when amazon UK cancelled my longstanding order with some bull comment about supply or similar. But I'll get my copy soon as it's out there (maybe with a companion copy of Prelude to Summer as a soundtrack… if they can get someone we all respect to write the liners!) Wink

Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 04:14:41 PM »

Hi John

Not quite sure why Amazon UK sent you that message.  I will check with McFarland and get back to you with an explanation. 

Thanks again for all your kind words of support.

Cheers!

Jim
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 11:32:49 PM »

Reordered from amazon com last night, Jim. Considered ordering direct from the publisher but their shipping costs are very high.

Lookin forward to a damn good read!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx