gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:10:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drugs/alcohol consumption at BB shows  (Read 4957 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2015, 08:51:27 PM »

A few odd questions that I doubt anyone has a definite answer to, but it would be interesting to get viewpoints nonetheless...

- When-ish was the first BB show was where a bandmate was toked up on anything stronger than alcohol onstage? Weed and beyond...

- When-ish was the first BB show was where audience member(s) toked on weed while watching the show?

- Does anyone think there's been a single BB show post, say 1970, that not a single person in attendance toked on a weed stick? Maybe a corporate event or two, I'd think. That's likely about it!

- After Denny's passing, were there any shows were any official members of the band were on anything stronger than alcohol onstage? (not talking about Landy-prescribed drugs here). I know Brian smoked some occasional weed during the Landy era, not sure if that ever happened in a live setting, or if anyone else in the band ever touched a substance onstage beyond alcohol post 1983.

- Did Bruce really never touch a substance besides alcohol? True or myth?

- Onstage or not, has Mike or Al ever touched a substance beyond weed?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 08:57:46 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 11:16:50 PM »

A few odd questions that I doubt anyone has a definite answer to, but it would be interesting to get viewpoints nonetheless...

- When-ish was the first BB show was where a bandmate was toked up on anything stronger than alcohol onstage? Weed and beyond...

I'm guessing the 1967 Hawaii shows for sure, Michigan in October 1966 very probably.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 12:26:04 AM »

Not sure on the band but I'm seriously considering getting properly caned for the BW solo gig in Manchester....

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 12:47:48 AM »

Al Jardine

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:02:15 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 12:58:12 AM »

- When-ish was the first BB show was where audience member(s) toked on weed while watching the show?

- Does anyone think there's been a single BB show post, say 1970, that not a single person in attendance toked on a weed stick? Maybe a corporate event or two, I'd think. That's likely about it!

- After Denny's passing, were there any shows were any official members of the band were on anything stronger than alcohol onstage? (not talking about Landy-prescribed drugs here). I know Brian smoked some occasional weed during the Landy era, not sure if that ever happened in a live setting, or if anyone else in the band ever touched a substance onstage beyond alcohol post 1983.

- Did Bruce really never touch a substance besides alcohol? True or myth?

- Onstage or not, has Mike or Al ever touched a substance beyond weed?

I don't know about now, but during the 80s Mike sure loved his beer (Heiniken, to be precise)

Not sure on the band but I'm seriously considering getting properly caned for the BW solo gig in Manchester....

As pro-weed as I am, going to a BW show would be one of the few times I WOULDN'T want to catch a buzz. I want to remember every last second of it. To me, it's sacred.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 12:59:57 AM »

As pro-weed as I am, going to a BW show would be one of the few times I WOULDN'T want to catch a buzz. I want to remember every last second of it. To me, it's sacred.
[/quote]

That's why I'm going twice - in Leeds the night before for the memories then Manchester for the experience....  Cool Guy

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 01:45:03 AM »

I somehow can't see getting stoned for a Brian Wilson show.  Brow

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 01:56:50 AM »

Especially with a meet and greet! I'd feel it be almost disrespectful. Now, when I get home, that's a whole other story...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 02:31:20 AM »

In terms of disrespect, I'm not sure I buy that for a BW gig. It obviously depends on your view on drugs in general....some of BW (arguably all!) best work was directly influenced by drugs and the experiences that they gave him. He's spoken at length about seeing notes in the air and writing them down to become a song. In my personal experience I have had great connections with his songs when under the influence of drugs. It's a case of each to their own, and I would never criticize anyone for not wanting to go down that route but equally respect should be shown to those who do. 

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 03:04:11 AM »

Oh no, it's the idea of meeting him under the influence, in that it likely would make him uncomfortable.

I'm the last person to be anti-drug...I make Willie Nelson look like a beginner LOL

KDS
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 05:46:23 AM »

I think the music of The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson go well with some good libations. 

But, as for concerts, I avoid it due to the high event beer prices, and the fact that I don't want to missing any of the show when a trip to the facilities. 

As Archie Bunker once said, "You don't buy beer, you rent it." 
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 06:15:04 AM »

I remember at the House of Blues in Chicago in 2002 a couple of guys behind me were sharing a blunt during "Sloop John B."

As for actual Beach Boys under the influence...what, no obligatory mention of "two maitais and a Valium" show? Smiley  (I guess that combination makes you forget about the heroin you snorted with your brother.)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 06:50:20 AM »

I will say....I never once mentioned weed in my posts..,  Shocked

thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 10:20:09 PM »

The Mike and Bruce show I went to last year was BYOB...
I remember all of it, but barely.

I've seen Brian twice sober. This time I'll be at least a few beers in before his set starts.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 08:34:01 AM »

Came for  Mikie  postwhere he uses the expression"Hog Rails"
 leaving disappointed.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 08:35:43 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 08:53:59 AM »

I think we can all agree it's better to party after the show.

how all bout the fact that marijuana is something called an "Active placebo". Whatever that means???.

But my completely baseless theory is that Sativa amplifies your discomfort or in the case of you basking in comfort at the time of ingestion, it will amplify that.

This medical sh*t, indica. It's like a real drug. IF you are in great discomfort, it dulls the pain.

I swear I'm not a pothead. But everyone else is. Practically everyone else . is. And sometimes you have to engage in the customs of your culture. a culutured manner is the only option.

Also they should invent a marijuana ---that when smoked-- does not smell.

I mean they steamrolled all those smoking bans through without a fight, just a couple years back.

The average man on the street endorsement went something like : Now I can go home from a night n the town and not smell like it on my clothes, etc"

I want odorless marijuana. I don't car about the secondhand tar and toxic amounts of the trace haluucinigenc THC that is present in my breathing air--WBHICH should be clean. And a RIGHT.

BTWHow dare you impose your noxious dead skunk aroma on the children??? NOT TO MENTION THE WILDLIFE
vape it. But the metals are know to the state of california to cause cancer.

Legalize whatever Brian was on when he appeared on camera directing the production of Good Vibrations. And tax the hell out of it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:41:31 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 08:59:08 AM »

dhsfb
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2015, 03:19:17 PM »

I've been to about 20 Beach Boys/Brian Wilson shows since 1983. The ones I enjoyed the most, and recall the best, were the ones when I was more or less myself.

I've never witnessed any shows where a band member appeared intoxicated. Back about 1986, I was sitting in a spot where we could see the band right before they hit the stage - Carl took a sip from what appeared to be a bottle of Heineken. I never see that stuff around anymore, btw.

Back in 1993, I had the week off and my buddy and I had tickets to see The Kinks and The Beach Boys at opposite ends of the week. We had one "special cigarette" between us and opted save it for The Beach Boys concert - a mistake, in retrospect. The Kinks rocked the Newport (on High St) and The Beach Boys played on autopilot after a minor league baseball game that ran into extra innings. We both ended up wanting Carl to smash his guitar - in our state of reasoning this would have improved the show. 22 years later, I'm grateful for every concert I had a chance to see, as all things do end.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 03:30:17 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 09:57:56 PM »

I've been to about 20 Beach Boys/Brian Wilson shows since 1983. The ones I enjoyed the most, and recall the best, were the ones when I was more or less myself.

I've never witnessed any shows where a band member appeared intoxicated. Back about 1986, I was sitting in a spot where we could see the band right before they hit the stage - Carl took a sip from what appeared to be a bottle of Heineken. I never see that stuff around anymore, btw.

Back in 1993, I had the week off and my buddy and I had tickets to see The Kinks and The Beach Boys at opposite ends of the week. We had one "special cigarette" between us and opted save it for The Beach Boys concert - a mistake, in retrospect. The Kinks rocked the Newport (on High St) and The Beach Boys played on autopilot after a minor league baseball game that ran into extra innings. We both ended up wanting Carl to smash his guitar - in our state of reasoning this would have improved the show. 22 years later, I'm grateful for every concert I had a chance to see, as all things do end.
I stopped going to BB's shows after SIP came out. Couldn't stand that they had become strictly a vehicle for Mike Love's ego. Now I regret not seeing the guys a few more times while I could. Also missed the last chance to see the Kinks in '93 - not my fault though; they cancelled their Seattle show, then broke up a short time later. Curses!
peoplewitheyes
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 10:33:09 AM »

Hello all! I'm a first time poster, long term lingerer...

I took some ecstasy for a BW Pet Sounds show in the UK in the early 2000s.  The drug lived up to its name, and with the already-heavenly music, it was something of a quasi-mystical experience! Cool

Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 12:25:49 PM »

Hello all! I'm a first time poster, long term lingerer...

I took some ecstasy for a BW Pet Sounds show in the UK in the early 2000s.  The drug lived up to its name, and with the already-heavenly music, it was something of a quasi-mystical experience! Cool

Now that's what I'm talking about! Very much debating the same for this tour...would've love to for Pet Sounds though, awesome!

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 04:14:48 PM »

In terms of disrespect, I'm not sure I buy that for a BW gig. It obviously depends on your view on drugs in general....some of BW (arguably all!) best work was directly influenced by drugs and the experiences that they gave him. He's spoken at length about seeing notes in the air and writing them down to become a song. In my personal experience I have had great connections with his songs when under the influence of drugs. It's a case of each to their own, and I would never criticize anyone for not wanting to go down that route but equally respect should be shown to those who do. 
I feel sorry for people thatre ignorant to be against drugs. It all depends on what it is, how much ya take and how you administer it. And it is true that brian was usin something or other during all his best eras of music making.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 08:14:16 PM »

Brian and the Beach Boys' music sounds magnificent clean and sober too.  Smiley

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 10:45:36 PM »

I feel sorry for people thatre ignorant to be against drugs. It all depends on what it is, how much ya take and how you administer it. And it is true that brian was usin something or other during all his best eras of music making.
Kook, do you own a copy of the physician's desk reference. I'd like to borrow it.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 10:47:50 PM »

Brian and the Beach Boys' music sounds magnificent clean and sober too.  Smiley
+1 I feel like the world is a crazed Brian having a flashback and I'm Al being forced to listen to it.
I want the innocence.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx