gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:37:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Release for June...Here Today! The Songs Of Brian Wilson  (Read 6695 times)
Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2015, 12:44:40 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Here-Today-Songs-Brian-Wilson/dp/B00XAB4ZUM/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1432237227&sr=1-1&keywords=here+today+the+songs+of+brian+wilson

Pretty nice to have all of these on one collection!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:47:46 PM by Terry » Logged
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 12:46:20 PM »

Good to see an easy way to get Keith Green's "Girl Don't Tell Me."
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 01:15:18 PM »

Not sure if this'll help.  My old computer set-up wouldn't show me the songs or artists.  This link might if you're rowing a similar leaking boat... http://www.amazon.com/Here-Today-Songs-Brian-Wilson/dp/tracks/B00XAB4ZUM/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

[Oh and as soon as I posted...the other link THEN worked just fine. Computer Smash!  F'n computers!!! Angry
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:18:11 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 09:57:39 AM »

I just found out about this on the BSN board.  The track list looks really good, although I'd never heard any of these versions.  This caused me to head over to YouTube (where many of these songs are individually posted) and make some interesting discoveries.  Fun fun fun!  Smiley
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 02:13:00 AM »

Some interesting choices. I think I've compiled better myself, however.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 03:39:07 AM »

What I would love to have is a compilation of contemporary Beach Boys covers from the 60s when the songs were happening and not just "an old Beach Boys song".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 03:49:56 AM »

What I would love to have is a compilation of contemporary Beach Boys covers from the 60s when the songs were happening and not just "an old Beach Boys song".

Surely that applies to the vast majority of songs on this CD, though?

Please delete my account
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 04:21:33 AM »

This looks great! I'm a big fan of the Ace Records compilations and another one based around Brian's music is a guaranteed purchase for me. Thank God it doesn't contain The Carpenters tragic cover of Fun, Fun, Fun! I only own a handfull of the tracks on here and have never heard of the song Move Out, Little Mustang - what's the story behind that one?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:22:45 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Scotty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 04:34:56 AM »

Here http://theseconddisc.com/2015/05/22/ace-collects-good-vibrations-on-here-today-the-songs-of-brian-wilson/ you can find detailed information regarding this new release.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 04:36:17 AM »

Surely that applies to the vast majority of songs on this CD, though?

I don't know. But darian's recording surely dates from later

EDIT:

Just saw Scotty's post. Indeed most recordings are from the 60s. Cool!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 06:35:22 AM »

Sweet cover photo. Is that from the December 15 Surf's Up filming?

Watch out for snakes!
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 06:48:52 AM »

Never seen that picture before, great!
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 06:50:36 AM »

This looks great! Thanks for the heads-up.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 06:50:45 AM »

I'm partial to P.P. Arnold's version of God Only Knows, but Betty Everett's is very good too.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 06:03:58 AM »

This looks great! I'm a big fan of the Ace Records compilations and another one based around Brian's music is a guaranteed purchase for me. Thank God it doesn't contain The Carpenters tragic cover of Fun, Fun, Fun! I only own a handfull of the tracks on here and have never heard of the song Move Out, Little Mustang - what's the story behind that one?
Move out little Mustang is on Jan & Dean's Little  Old Lady album, although the recording is actually  done by The Fantstic Baggys. I think Jan's Voice is on their somewhere but its been a while since i listened to it. Anyway, its great!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 08:24:57 AM »

Thanks Grillo.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 07:59:43 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeM27O1LlUo
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 08:30:19 AM »

No Factotums?? Pish!!  3D
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 09:34:03 AM »

Anyone got it yet? It was released in the UK today and I ordered it off amazon at the stroke of midnight (sad or what?).

Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 09:57:55 AM »

Ace is one of the greatest reissue and archival labels ever formed. Expect phenomenal sound quality on these discs.
Scotty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 10:52:13 AM »

Ace is one of the greatest reissue and archival labels ever formed. Expect phenomenal sound quality on these discs.
Thank you very much for this nice compliment. Much appreciated and forwarded. Most of the time people tend to criticise everything.
And no, I wasn't involved in this particular project.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 12:10:53 PM »

Darian's version of Do You Have Any Regrets is fantastic! Good to see it as the opening track here.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 12:30:46 PM »

Move out little Mustang is on Jan & Dean's Little  Old Lady album, although the recording is actually  done by The Fantstic Baggys. I think Jan's Voice is on their somewhere but its been a while since i listened to it. Anyway, its great!

Jan produced it and sang bass in the harmony stack.

The flip, "Bucket Seats," was erroneously credited (on purpose) to Don Altfeld. But Jan wrote the melody . . . "Old Ladies Seldom Power Shift."

The Rally-Packs release on Imperial was one of Jan's side projects, where he tried to sidestep his legal obligations to Screen Gems. He got busted for it, and the release was part of the larger lawsuit by Screen Gems against Jan, Lou Adler, and Dunhill, et al., in 1964.

rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 05:43:23 PM »

Generally a pretty good track listing but where's James Last's version of H&V?
SBonilla
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 05:47:33 PM »

Generally a pretty good track listing but where's James Last's version of H&V?
Don Costa's is better.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx