gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:00:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: a better BW Tribute Concert  (Read 5068 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2006, 06:57:20 AM »

dont get me wrong, I love the Tribute to BW that came out around 2001 or 2002, but i hope they make a better one, one like COncert for George, that actually has his friends performing...like concert for george, everyone who performed had a connection to George. Now i'm not sure how everyone connected to brian from that tribute...but i'm sure ricci martin isn't best friends with brian wilson. granted, i do love all the performers on the BW tribute... I'd like to see the better friends perform like van dyke parks, danny hutton, bruce johnston, paul mccartney, etc.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 07:31:26 AM »

While there is something slightly unfulfilling about the show (I can't quite put my finger on it - maybe having The Beach Boys reunite for the occasion would've helped), you can't get much bigger names than what they got.

Elton John, Billy Joel, Paul Simon, Jimmy Webb, David Crosby, Ann & Nancy Wilson, and Vince Gill ain't chopped liver. For as long as Brian has been in the industry, he has a lot of acquaintances, but does he have a lot of friends?

You named a few musicians who could be considered friends, and would add an emotional attachment to the concert (at least for Brian), but I suppose any event that is going to be televised has to consider ratings. Many CASUAL viewers might go "Van Dyke who", or "why is Danny Hutton on this show".

For the most part, the performers they chose did a great job. But like I said, I thought I would be touched more by the show. I really wish they would've integrated Brian more into the proceedings by showing him sitting in the first row applauding, smiling, waving, and even embracing the guests after they performed. They could've edited that in...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 07:37:18 AM »

yeah, no kidding...did he sit front row?

yeah, they did get top notch performers...i'm not doubting that...

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 08:06:45 AM »

One thing to consider is that the 2001 tribute was part of a series by TNT; they did several, and they were, IIRC, all pretty much the same thing....big-name artists performing, many/most of whom have unknown or questionable ties to the artist other than being fans of the music. I managed to catch Brian's (and in fact was at the taping...there was a lot of good stuff that didn't make the broadcast or release, like Jubilant Sykes's modern jazz rendition of "That's Not Me" -- really amazing!) and John Lennon's tributes when they aired...they both had the same feel. The difference: as big a John Lennon fan as I am (and at 300 pounds, I'm pretty big), it was a downer. Why? Brian was there at the tribute; John couldn't be at his.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 09:33:23 AM »

did he sit front row?

I don't know if he was in the front row (probably not), but I'm sure he was around, maybe backstage or watching from the side. Or maybe he was asleep on a couch!

Anyway, don't you like it when the honored guest gives the individual performers a thumbs up, or the OK sign, or gets out of his seat to start a standing ovation.

I thought the biggest letdown was the final "jam", when everybody was on stage. Not to get in a discussion about Brian's voice again, but his vocals didn't have the enthusiasm to carry the moment. That would've been the perfect opportunity to bring out The Beach Boys!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 09:37:09 AM »

Guests for next tribute: Mary J. Blige, Dr. Dre, Radiohead, Faith No More, Peter Paul and Mary, CSNY, Bob Dylan, John Sebastion, Cindy Lauper, Pink Floyd, Richard Marx, Dave Coulier, Toto, and Fleetwood Mac.

Seriously, though, as far as tributes go, the BW one was quite good. I mean, at least Kevin Spacey wasn't singing "Love and Mercy" or something. These tributes are usually pretty sickening, but they did all right with Brian.  
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 10:11:06 AM »

Aren't we all SO glad Ricky Martin was featured?!  Evil

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 11:46:29 AM »

zzzzzz

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 02:37:52 PM »

check it out. new tribute to the man. Red hot chilly  Huh Shocked what had Melinda had to do to let them perform  i get around Roll Eyes Wink
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 02:38:41 PM »

Grin here is the link: http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1088086/Brian_Wilson_A_Tribute_To_Brian_Wilson/Product.html
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 02:52:21 PM »

Aren't we all SO glad Ricky Martin was featured?!  Evil

"Are there any Rhondas here tonight?"  Roll Eyes
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 03:22:53 PM »

It's all about marketing, advertising, and reaching the right demographic.  There was an AFI awards show for Sean Connery the other night, and there were questionable segments and guests on it.  Such as the new James Bond, Daniel Craig, and even worse, the pin-up gal who was the model for the female character in the "From Russia With Love" video game.  The only reason I can think is that the people who own the James Bond franchise were a sponsor of the show, and they stand to make money off the Bond video game and the latest Bond film.  Also, Mike Myers had a long segment, presumable to appeal to the kids.

I think Brian was lucky to even get a tribute show, considering a lot of people still don't know who he is.  As for the tribute show with his friends, I hope that doesn't happen for many, many years.  And Brian outlives 'em all,  or comes close to it.  Because that's the only reason George had a tribute show.  No one one was doing it when he was alive.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 04:14:48 PM »

GREAT !!!!  This is the concert from the "Musicares person of the year", one or two nights before he got his grammy. I need to have this, I believe

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »

A weird song choice for the Backstreet Boys. It would've made more sense if they covered one of the Beach Boys' love songs.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 01:02:33 PM »

Has anyone seen this/is it worth purchasing?

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 09:46:48 PM »

ok, i take back a bit of what i said...and the people who spoke at the tribute were great...though i dont know about rachel hunter...i dont know who she is...but having george martin and cameron crowe...two major admirer's of BW...that was a nice touch

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 11:03:32 PM »

I'm glad the Musicares tribute is finally available in some form.  I'll probably end up getting it.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx