gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:37:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: beachboycentral.com News  (Read 15579 times)
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2006, 09:41:02 PM »

I wonder what the other interested parts think about it. Brian has a releasable set of Wilson/Norberg demos, he doesn't have to go through BRI to do anything with them, but they are still sitting in the vault.

EDIT: And the Usher demos, the Paley recordings...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 09:47:18 PM by Dancing Bear » Logged

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2006, 06:44:55 AM »

Things are in the vault for a reason.

Jealously, obnoxiousness, and plain ol stupidity are part of your list? Remember, some of these tracks didnt make it because they didnt make the 'vote'...and were shot down to go with more conventional tracks.

I agree. Mike Love does not know what he's talking about. The BB are well known for being perhaps THE most foolhardy band in regards to what they release and don't release.
How many great tracks have come out in the last 15 years - Can't wait too long, Soulful old man sunshine, we're together again, games two can play etc., not to mention the great bootleggings of Smile, Adult child, Landlocked etc.
It may be that the best stuff has already been bootlegged but thats no reason not to release it officially and in good sound quality.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2006, 07:08:40 AM »

I would love SACD mastered mixes of Adult/Child and Landlocked. I think its time they remaster every album and especially the bootlegged stuff in the vault. That would be worth purchasing then anymore 'best of' compilations.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2006, 03:22:23 PM »

I think the trouble is that they have no sense of objectivity regarding their unreleased material whatsoever.

They've been too close to the unreleased stuff for too long to form any opinion as to whether it's good, so-so or just plain crap.

Rant mode: off!

FRUSTRATING!!!

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2006, 03:52:29 PM »

I would love to have an official cd release of the Wilson/Norberg demos. I would love to hear Thank Him in remastered crystal clear sound. My bootleg copy sounds like sh*t.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2006, 06:25:01 PM »

.......I know how you feel, but do you hear what you're saying? You want demos released as part of the official catalog. Put yourself in the artist's place.....If they don't want that as official releases, shouldn't we respect their wishes? There are 79 other ways to get these tracks, people...C'MON!!!!!!

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2006, 09:03:08 PM »

Regarding the local newspaper interview comments, I'm not sure if a reference to the record company being desperate would be applicable in the case of this potential beachboyscentral website. Obviously there isn't much concrete info to go by, but I thought that part of the idea behind the website was for the group/Brother to circumvent trying to sell record labels on issuing relatively obscure material that won't sell terribly well by simply issuing the material themselves. Isn't Alan Boyd's work in the vaults related to Brother as opposed to Capitol, etc.? Perhaps Capitol has been pressing the group on unreleased material and that is what the interview references, but I can't see how such a comment applies to Alan Boyd working in the Brother vaults and trying to get the band's own website up and running to sell its own music on its own.

It is troubling that the project that has been discussed the most is the "Warmth of the Sun" CD, which is just a "Best of What We Left Off Of Sounds of Summer" disc, although I won't be surprised if a remix or two or something semi-"new" is added to that so we need to buy it. Then there will be the CD/DVD deluxe version issued the following summer, etc.

I'm also a bit perplexed by both the question and answer regarding the proposition of releasing previously unreleased material considering the amount of unreleased material that has been issued in the last 16 years:

-Bonus Tracks on Two-Fers
-Bonus Tracks on GV Boxed Set
-Pet Sounds Sessions Boxed Set
-Endless Harmony Soundtrack
-Hawthorne, CA set
-Knebworth 1980 CD
-Songs From Here & Back

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2006, 10:54:04 PM »

I would love SACD mastered mixes of Adult/Child and Landlocked.

100 lines - "there never was an album called Landlocked"

On my desk by tomorrow morning.   Cool

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2008, 10:17:50 PM »

So what's the latest on this site??  Is it ever gonna open...please?   angel     
Jason
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2008, 10:45:29 PM »

It'll open in 2012.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 12:09:14 AM »

December 21st, 2012. We'll all hear Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again before they finally start up the Large Hadron Collider and the world explodes.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2008, 08:02:12 AM »

I would think Love could look to Dylan as a model of these things - the bootleg series continues to make available outtakes of Dylan's work from throughout his career, including live concerts - and many artists (most) make exclusive download tracks available as well.  It may be that the money these releases/downloads would generate just isn't enough to interest the Lovester.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2008, 08:07:25 AM »

I would think Love could look to Dylan as a model of these things - the bootleg series continues to make available outtakes of Dylan's work from throughout his career, including live concerts - and many artists (most) make exclusive download tracks available as well.  It may be that the money these releases/downloads would generate just isn't enough to interest the Lovester.

Is Mike really the reason that the site isn't up yet?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2008, 10:38:11 AM »

Whenever there's a problem in the Beach Boys world, Mike gets the blame.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2008, 06:46:06 PM »

Indeed. Why isn't Brian releasing his early 60s solo demos, the Usher sessions, Sweet insanity, the Paley sessions? He doesn't need Mike's aproval to let those out.

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2008, 11:12:30 PM »

Indeed. Why isn't Brian releasing his early 60s solo demos, the Usher sessions, Sweet insanity, the Paley sessions? He doesn't need Mike's aproval to let those out.

Dont think Melinda wants it released.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2008, 07:44:41 AM »

All the Beach boys corporation partners would have to sign off on any download/archival releases - that would be Carl's heirs, Melinda (for Brian), Mike, and Alan.  Don't think Alan would object to anything being released unless it was a song of his that he felt was subpar - and there's not much in the vault that's his.  If Boyd and Leaf put something together, I would think Melinda would get behind it - and Brian would do it if Melinda was behind it.  Carl's heirs are unlikely to block such an endeavor.  So you do the math.

Another sticking point might be Capitol, Sire, Reprise - in particular what compensation they may want for unreleased songs  if they paid for the original sessions?  I'm not sure how that would play out legally.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2008, 08:23:39 AM »

Don't think Alan would object to anything being released unless it was a song of his that he felt was subpar - and there's not much in the vault that's his.

Alan vetoed Loop de Loop's inclusion in the GV box set.

If Boyd and Leaf put something together, I would think Melinda would get behind it - and Brian would do it if Melinda was behind it.

Brian vetoed Let Him Run Wild's inclusion in the GV box set. While there were about 30 minutes of unreleased Smile in the box set, the compilers were afraid to try to include more - like the legendary Fire track - that could have stirred the pot with Brian.

Carl's heirs are unlikely to block such an endeavor.

Point taken. While Carl vetoed Soulful Oldman Sunshine in 93, his heirs let it out in 98.

So you do the math.

Done. The math and the scientific method tell me that Al and Brian are more likely to resist archival releases than Mike and Carl's heirs.  Cheesy

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2008, 08:27:06 AM »

Let's face it. The only way we're going to hear what we want is when all the band members are dead.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »

Indeed. Why isn't Brian releasing his early 60s solo demos, the Usher sessions, Sweet insanity, the Paley sessions? He doesn't need Mike's approval to let those out.

How do we know that Brian himself isn't saying no? Why is Melinda always scapegoated? Brian is probably more in control of his life than some people may think. I'm not saying he's totally "all there", given all the sh*t he's been through in his life, but Melinda's not exactly Gene Landy.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jason
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2008, 09:50:18 AM »

No, she's Melinda! Far worse. She's a woman with Landy-esque power over Brian. Smiley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2008, 10:19:48 AM »

It's hard to compare The Beach Boys' unreleased stuff with Bob Dylan's. Almost every song on Dylan's new Bootleg Series release, Tell Tale Signs, is good, some very good. Some people might even find the alternate/demo stuff superior to the released versions, thus, enhancing Dylan's musical reputation. Don't we already have the "cream of the crop" of the unreleased Beach Boys' catalogue? While there's obviously a few gems left to be uncovered, they probably don't want to run the risk of putting out crap, simply as "product". 

I think you have to be careful with material like the Usher Project, Sweet Insanity, and even the Wilson/Paley sessions. While diehards like us can't get enough of ANY Beach Boys/Brian Wilson unreleased music, I think the general listening public would be turned off by it. You would be running the risk of actually hurting Brian's reputation and legacy. There are reasons why things are unreleased.

The same thing would apply to the concerts. The Beach Boys weren't always the greatest singers and musicians - live - and you'd have to be very selective in which post-1976 concerts you would want to release to the general public. It's one thing to actually be there in person, soaking up the music, and another thing listen to it later.

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2008, 11:23:54 AM »

Indeed. Why isn't Brian releasing his early 60s solo demos, the Usher sessions, Sweet insanity, the Paley sessions? He doesn't need Mike's approval to let those out.

How do we know that Brian himself isn't saying no? Why is Melinda always scapegoated? Brian is probably more in control of his life than some people may think. I'm not saying he's totally "all there", given all the merda he's been through in his life, but Melinda's not exactly Gene Landy.

Dont get me wrong here. It's good that Brian has a steady force behind him. When i look at recent interviews Melinda decides whats good for Brian and whats not.

I seen enough concert performances where Brian looks like he doesnt want to be there, but because Melinda and more people say its good, he does his job.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:10:09 PM by TLOS » Logged
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2008, 11:42:34 AM »

Dang, seeing this thread bumped to the top made me think there was actual news about the site opening.....

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2008, 12:12:44 PM »

I'm not sure if this figures into this subject, but if you go to www.surfermoon.com, look in the Beach Boys/Brian Wilson folder, find the Smile Questions thread, look for Bob Hanes' posts on page 2 of the thread.  I know The Right Reverend Bob used to post here, but hasn't in awhile.  Perhaps Alan Boyd can provide some more information regarding this subject. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx