gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:44:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: beachboycentral.com News  (Read 15610 times)
Jason
« on: June 22, 2006, 03:38:53 PM »

From Beach Boys Britain, typos intact.

From the B104 FM Clasic Rock website
http://www.b104fm.com/rock_report.htm

OFFICIAL BEACH BOYS RARITIES SITE MAY BE UP AND RUNNING BY NEXT MONTH

The Beach Boys' new official beachboyscentral.com website featuring previously unreleased material, may be up and running as early as July 4th. The group's chief archivist Alan Boyd posted on the unofficial smileysmile.net fan message board that he's currently putting the finishing touches on the site. Although he didn't go into details, he did mention that the group's unreleased material would be available both as digital downloads and as CD's.

Boyd has been cataloging and cross referencing the group's extensive inventory for the past several years. He's listened to almost every one of the group's multi-track master tapes and home demos. There's still no word as to what exactly will be uploaded on the site, although the group has amassed several hundred outtakes in their 45 year career.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 05:52:28 PM »

beachboyscentral.com could (and hopefully will) be the best thing since sliced bread. My credit card is ready!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 08:29:36 PM »

Credit card -- what's that?? I sure hope they'll take checks or money orders!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 01:10:43 PM »

hopefully they'll take paypal.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 02:18:48 PM »

Even though I'm an adult, I have a controlling mother who will not allow me to have a credit card, so I hope they accept money orders.

Or, you know, let all the tracks be downloaded for free.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 03:54:54 PM »

Even though I'm an adult, I have a controlling mother who will not allow me to have a credit card, so I hope they accept money orders.

Utopia is still just a dream...
Jason
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 03:58:28 PM »

That made me smile.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 05:25:23 PM »

Undecided   Paypal would be a nice option.. hopefully  Alan will look into that...
maybe this site will let some of Dennis's unreleased see the light of day... wow
getting excited about that already!

Grin

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 12:57:09 PM »

What is it with this site?

Its been COMING SOON since June.

All signed up and waiting just for the final ok from Dennis and Carl maybe?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 01:51:06 PM »

What is it with this site?

Its been COMING SOON since June.

All signed up and waiting just for the final ok from Dennis and Carl maybe?

Cheeky  Tongue

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SG7
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 07:23:28 PM »

Get ready for all the thousand hours unedited sessions of Ding Dang folks!!
Sure to be a blast!!

LOL
Jardine Power!
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it clean with Al Jardine.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 09:23:47 PM »

I feel like I've been checking that site daily for 6 months. I hate to sound impatient but what's going on?!
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 10:20:29 AM »

I feel like I've been checking that site daily for 6 months. I hate to sound impatient but what's going on?!

I'm with you.

.. what's the hold up? .. or do I need to make an imaginative guess (not).

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 01:16:15 PM »

I think there is a lot involved here.   Just tracking down all this stuff, cataloging and archiving is a huge job! And that is just for starters.

First, I imagine all the band members have to agree about what tracks will be available.  For example, don't expect too many unreleased Smile tracks.  Brian may veto them for ‘his own reasons’, while other members may see a bigger profit looming with a future Smile boxset.  There may be tracks that one band member just hates, or finds embarrassing, and that one gets vetoed.
Also, there are the issues of songwriting royalties, publishing, performance royalties (I know little of these kind of legalities except that there is a lot of red tape involved).

Secondly, master tapes need to be tracked down.  A mixed dub in the library will be inferior to a new mix of the master tape.  Or simply, there are sessions in the can that were never mixed at all.

Third, high quality MP3s need to be made of the songs.  Also, if album versions of these tracks are going to be available as well, then there is all ‘that’ to deal with (Mastering, art wok, what goes on what cd)

Fourth, creating an online store that works well, maintains copyright protection and prevents illegal downloading and trading of these tracks is no easy task.

Frankly, I am surprised that it is moving as fast as it is.  This is a groundbreaking move, as I know of no other major band that has ever done this kind of thing.  The Stones, Beatles, the Who - nobody else has pulled off anything like this.

Bravo Alan Boyd!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 06:29:08 AM »

ah, it'd be great to hear what their doin once in a while    Roll Eyes

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 09:32:19 AM »

This is a groundbreaking move, as I know of no other major band that has ever done this kind of thing.  The Stones, Beatles, the Who - nobody else has pulled off anything like this.

www.thewhostore.com (courtesy of Eel Pie
www.thedoors.com  (seems to be undergoing a revamp... try here: http://www.rhinohandmade.com/Browse/browsedoors.lasso)
www.neilyoung.com/archives/fillmore-east/fillmore-east.html

Can anybody add any others to the list?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 09:58:25 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 11:48:18 AM »

Hey Wee Helper, have you actually gone to these sites and looked at what's there?  There is no comparison to these and what  beachboyscentral.com is looking to do.  The closest would be "the Beatles Anthology", but an online version.  Neil Young has talked about this for years, but strickly as CD/DVD releases

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
digger
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 12:46:59 PM »

Third, high quality MP3s need to be made of the songs.  Also, if album versions of these tracks are going to be available as well, then there is all ‘that’ to deal with (Mastering, art wok, what goes on what cd)

This phase (MP3s) can be skipped without any loss, who would want them anyway.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 03:42:21 PM »

I personally would.  Undecided

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 04:58:11 PM »

Personally, I'd take mp3s over nothing any day of the week.  I just wish they'd hurry up with it as I have some money burning a hole in my pocket, although this is Beach Boys World we're talking about.

As for copy protection, I hate to say it but good luck with that.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2006, 07:52:55 AM »

Hi SRH

I have indeed been to those sites but must be at a disadvantage as I guess I’ve missed any posts in which Alan’s stated just what’s going to be available at Central.

My point was simply that the BBs aren’t the first group to have such a facility on line.

The main site I guess that most closely embodies the point I’m trying to make is that of The Doors, which has been releasing a slow but steady stream of archive live recordings for years, on CD.

I was hoping BBs-Central.com would also be releasing its material on CD (or DVD, DVD-A…) –  I don’t really want a bunch of ephemeral downloads; I’m a collector and want something tangible to drool over!

But so far, anyway, BBs-Central.com hasn’t released anything and while I fully appreciate it’s something that won’t happen overnight, that is, currently, the BIG difference between those sites.

“We live in divisive times.”
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2006, 02:19:03 PM »

From a link on this site to a South Bend Tribune Mike Love interview yesterday. A reference was made to why Alan Boyd is having trouble setting up Central (see bottom of page)

...A soft-spoken and congenial man in conversation with a warm voice that displays none of the nasality for which he's known as a singer, Love becomes a little testy, however, when asked about whether he, The Beach Boys' corporation or the band's original label, Capitol Records, has considered releasing material that remains unreleased.

"There's a reason things are unreleased, because you felt what you came up with was better than what was in vault, so all this scavenging to me is a little bit desperate, desperation from a record company," he says and then softens his response a little. "Once in a while, you find something that could be redone, worked up a little."...
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2006, 06:05:10 PM »

What's that mean? He doens't want their concerts being released?!?

And why would he be against the record company releasing songs out of the vault? I thought Mike Love was the uber-capitalist who's all about business. He, and the rest of the band, will make money selling compilations that the fans want to hear. More product to sell, more money. He almost sounds like Brian, there.

What does he want to do? Keep rehashing the same greatest hits compilations? How about a 30th anniversary of Endless Summer Deluxe CD/DVD package. That'd be really bitchin!

Also, the tours and concert stage was always his domain. You'd think he'd be proud to show what he and the band did without Brian. Keeping the name alive and all.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2006, 06:22:46 PM »

I see his point. Things are in the vault for a reason. That's why God made bootlegs. To release these for public consumption disturbs the official catalog, and makes the artist feel that the prime work isn't available, or all that is being represented. It's a bigger issue than money, or keeping the name alive.

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 07:50:16 PM »

Things are in the vault for a reason.

Jealously, obnoxiousness, and plain ol stupidity are part of your list? Remember, some of these tracks didnt make it because they didnt make the 'vote'...and were shot down to go with more conventional tracks.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx