gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:08:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: beachboycentral.com News  (Read 15630 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008, 04:04:30 AM »

I think a reason why they (Brian etc) might not want all the archival stuff released is that it's a great source for new songs and re-recordings, Brian has re-recorded a lot of his unreleased songs in the last decade or so and had they all been released as an 'archive' release it might not give him much material to fall back on. We know this stuff exists but in a legal way and a 'fan off the street' way if something is released 'new' then it is essentially new.
Of course I want to hear it all, but from Brians standpoint, he has a good stash of unreleased songs that he can still put out - the fact that we have heard a lot of them is besides the point!.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2008, 05:15:34 AM »

Very true, and I think that that is one of the main reasons. When Brian releases  a song that sounds like My Solution it is harder to enjoy it when you realize he wrote the tune 25 years before...I don't blame him! I imagine that unbeknownst to us, most artists do exactly the same. So on the one hand, I a glad I have heard some of those bootlegs, but on the other hand, I can well see how Brian, etc. are pissed off about them.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2008, 12:11:34 PM »

Alan vetoed Loop de Loop's inclusion in the GV box set.

Brian vetoed Let Him Run Wild's inclusion in the GV box set. While there were about 30 minutes of unreleased Smile in the box set, the compilers were afraid to try to include more - like the legendary Fire track - that could have stirred the pot with Brian.

The math and the scientific method tell me that Al and Brian are more likely to resist archival releases than Mike and Carl's heirs.  Cheesy

Alan vetoed Loop de Loop because he wasn't happy with his vocal.  He allowed it (as Santa's got an Airplane) with rerecorded vocals on the Christmas CD.

Let Him Run Wild is not relevant to the discussion because it was al ready released on CD - the exclusion from the box set was because Brian felt it didn't represent "the best" of the beach boys, in particular because he didn't like his vocal.

Yes, Brian still was dealing with his problems with the Smile material at that time - nevertheless Melinda and David got him to agree to "finish" smile and go on tour with it, a far more daunting task than including unreleased material on a CD comp or download.

So to me 4 - 3 = 1 meditating bald headed nasal voiced gentleman as the stumbling block!   Lips Sealed

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2008, 12:54:34 PM »

So to me 4 - 3 = 1 meditating bald headed nasal voiced gentleman as the stumbling block!   Lips Sealed

Ok, you convinced me. If Mike packs it in this week, in 2009 we'll be flooded by Beach Boys' archival releases! Too bad that he's into TM and will live to be 135 years old.  Grin

I think Capitol wouldn't mind releasing rarities CDs between the GV box set and about three years ago, if dealing with BRI (Melinda, Al and Mike being the ones who voice their opinions there) wasn't such a hassle. If only that kind of package made real money for the Record Company and/or the surviving Beach Boys, things could have been settled out.

Since then things have changed and I doubt Capitol feels like releasing anything but the yearly compilation of hits. "Oh, but Rev. Bob said that Capitol has rights to everything ad eternum"! Cool it, man. "Good Timin: Live at Knebworth" was released by Eagle. Things can be worked out.

Now, why no archival release? I don't think anyone is BLOCKING it. I think Melinda/Brian, Al and Mike just aren't interested. If at least one of them got behind it, it could happen. Maybe they think that what is in the box set is enough. I don't know.

And then, what's beachboycentral.com in all this? I don't know. Maybe a proposal made at a BRI meeting that got lost in the way. Having that one page website online for years probably costs less than what LePage spends monthly with smileysmile.net. They aren't in a hurry to do anything about it.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2008, 03:49:31 AM »

Let's face it. The only way we're going to hear what we want is when all the band members are dead.
Hopefully this post won't be found at the time of some future police investigation...  Lips Sealed
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2008, 07:44:25 AM »

I think Capitol wouldn't mind releasing rarities CDs between the GV box set and about three years ago, if dealing with BRI (Melinda, Al and Mike being the ones who voice their opinions there) wasn't such a hassle. If only that kind of package made real money for the Record Company and/or the surviving Beach Boys, things could have been settled out.

That's the rub - if the hits aren't selling - Capitol singles box anyone? - then the commercial prospects for a rarities collection are dim.  That's why the beach boys central idea was so great for fans - downloads and exclusive CD's (limited releases, say 10,000) for the hardcore fanbase, no promotion costs, sell direct and reap the profits.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2008, 12:46:41 PM »

Alan vetoed Loop de Loop because he wasn't happy with his vocal.  He allowed it (as Santa's got an Airplane) with rerecorded vocals on the Christmas CD.

Didn't  Al re-record his lead vocal for the version of 'Loop de Loop' released on 'Endless Harmony'?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Wilsonista
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2008, 04:00:21 PM »

Ok, you convinced me. If Mike packs it in this week, in 2009 we'll be flooded by Beach Boys' archival releases! Too bad that he's into TM and will live to be 135 years old.  Grin

Since then things have changed and I doubt Capitol feels like releasing anything but the yearly compilation of hits. "Oh, but Rev. Bob said that Capitol has rights to everything ad eternum"! Cool it, man. "Good Timin: Live at Knebworth" was released by Eagle. Things can be worked out.

Now, why no archival release? I don't think anyone is BLOCKING it. I think Melinda/Brian, Al and Mike just aren't interested. If at least one of them got behind it, it could happen. Maybe they think that what is in the box set is enough. I don't know.

And then, what's beachboycentral.com in all this? I don't know. Maybe a proposal made at a BRI meeting that got lost in the way. Having that one page website online for years probably costs less than what LePage spends monthly with smileysmile.net. They aren't in a hurry to do anything about it.

1.) If Bob says something is true, then I have no reason to doubt him. BTW, did you stop to consider that whatever was mentioned in that thread post dates the release of Knebworth?

2.) I don't think I would be breaching anything by saying that Al was the one member who took any interest in decifering what was in the vaults and seeing it released. 

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2008, 04:40:44 PM »

1.) If Bob says something is true, then I have no reason to doubt him. BTW, did you stop to consider that whatever was mentioned in that thread post dates the release of Knebworth?

Oops. Here's what happened. I had read Bob's post #25, someone here pointed to that thread, I went there again and somehow missed #28. I thought #25 was all he had to say.

Well, that's a pity. But I don't think downloads would reap millions. Far, very far from it. If you're talking about the greenies, the "Capitol's change" was the way to go.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Wilsonista
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2008, 04:44:47 PM »

I would have at least expected downloads to be as profitable as Elvis's Follow That Dream series.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2008, 08:57:47 AM »

That's the rub - if the hits aren't selling - Capitol singles box anyone? - then the commercial prospects for a rarities collection are dim.  That's why the beach boys central idea was so great for fans - downloads and exclusive CD's (limited releases, say 10,000) for the hardcore fanbase, no promotion costs, sell direct and reap the profits.

I think it was the price & format that scuppered the singles box, not content. Stick it on a 2CD set and it'd be fine.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx