gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:52:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If Mike wasn't in the band...  (Read 60780 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 22, 2015, 08:27:05 AM »

I don't think fellatio should necessarily be thought of in a bad way. People shouldn't take offense to the word, as it implies a wonderful experience where one person selflessly helps another person out, regardless of sexual preference. And selflessly helping out another isn't always a bad thing. It sucks to go down the route where people get offended by it; What Ever Happened (track 3 on No Pier Pressure) to swallowing one's pride?
So, if fellatio is to be thought of in a good way, then why did you use "sucks" in a negative way? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 22, 2015, 08:36:21 AM »

I don't think fellatio should necessarily be thought of in a bad way. People shouldn't take offense to the word, as it implies a wonderful experience where one person selflessly helps another person out, regardless of sexual preference. And selflessly helping out another isn't always a bad thing. It sucks to go down the route where people get offended by it; What Ever Happened (track 3 on No Pier Pressure) to swallowing one's pride?
So, if fellatio is to be thought of in a good way, then why did you use "sucks" in a negative way? Wink

I could replace "sucks" with "blows"… But then I might be in the same quandary. How about I replace "sucks" with "is preferable not to".
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:37:49 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 22, 2015, 08:41:04 AM »

Has anyone asked Mike or Bruce what they think about the fellator epithet. Do we know they would frown upon it?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:43:31 AM by Hamstring Hero » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: May 22, 2015, 08:44:26 AM »

What about the lying and making another member "feel like they've been singled out and attacked" and the stated practice of the Mods being violated and the offender apparently being in defiance of the Mods? Don't you imagine they at the very least owe an apology or a time out for that?

You're right, Cam. I'm sorry for having fellatio. Ive been naughty and deserve a spanking.

As poetic justice...I say Mike himself dish out the punishment.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:45:41 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 22, 2015, 08:48:39 AM »

Has anyone asked Mike or Bruce what they think about the fellator epithet. Do we know they would frown upon it?
What happens on the M&B tour, stays on the tour. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2015, 09:09:35 AM »

What happens on the M&B tour, stays on the tour. Wink

I don't know why some people drop loads of time trying to see the negatives in a beautiful act of selflessly helping out. That's not very keeping with the positivity angle.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:26:00 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »

This board has sunk to a new low.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2015, 09:44:05 AM »

This board has sunk to a new low.

Considering the thread topic where it happened, that shouldn't be a surprise. Everyone happy now? This is the board you wanted?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 22, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »

I mean, it was created as a pure bait thread.

This was meant to happen. I was about to comment on it when the thread was created, but I did not care enough about it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:46:53 AM by Hamstring Hero » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: May 22, 2015, 09:55:50 AM »

I mean, it was created as a pure bait thread.

This was meant to happen. I was about to comment on it when the thread was created, but I did not care enough about it.

Exactly. Honestly, i think this turned out as well as it possibly could have. We firmly established that the Mike hate is logical, all had a moment together last night, and now we're having some laughs. IDK what Mikie's talking about and frankly I dont care, but aside from that...what's the problem? Now let's all just hold hands and sing a song  Cheesy

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 22, 2015, 09:57:41 AM »

I am gonna spin Feel Flows and drink some red wine now.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:01:58 AM by Hamstring Hero » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: May 22, 2015, 10:03:09 AM »

Not everyone is laughing. And I take that aspect of it personally. But due to respect for privacy concerns, I'm not going to make it a public issue exactly why that is. And for those similar concerns, the reasons why some things were done and the reasons why it was so offensive to me to have to read an untrue version of things that happened which turned into having to defend something based on those misrepresentations cannot and will not be aired out beyond that point on a public forum.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: May 22, 2015, 10:07:47 AM »

Not everyone is laughing. And I take that aspect of it personally. But due to respect for privacy concerns, I'm not going to make it a public issue exactly why that is. And for those similar concerns, the reasons why some things were done and the reasons why it was so offensive to me to have to read an untrue version of things that happened which turned into having to defend something based on those misrepresentations cannot and will not be aired out beyond that point on a public forum.

I didnt mean to downplay the accusations against you. But...personally, I know youre a good guy. A couple other people gave a shoutout to what a great job you mods do. Dont let one dude get to you so much. I've had my serious beefs with Mikie in the past. I dont know what makes him say the things he does in such an aggressive way sometimes, but thats just who he is evidently. For better or worse.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 22, 2015, 10:20:33 AM »

I didnt mean to downplay the accusations against you. But...personally, I know youre a good guy. A couple other people gave a shoutout to what a great job you mods do. Dont let one dude get to you so much. I've had my serious beefs with Mikie in the past. I dont know what makes him say the things he does in such an aggressive way sometimes, but thats just who he is evidently. For better or worse.

That WAS the past and you had to bring it up again. Nobody cares about our disagreement in the past. You indicated that you don't know what I'm talking about on this thread, you don't care, yet you decide to chime in and add fuel to the fire. Not a good way to strengthen your relationship with other posters.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: May 22, 2015, 10:27:27 AM »

I'd like to address the issue of members jousting with each other on this forum. Speaking only for myself, just to be clear. Judgement calls need to be made, and they are made. Is it always the right call? No. Are situations taken into consideration as much as possible, and the entire picture viewed rather than individual elements to make those calls? Yes. There are members on this forum who for years have been trading insults, almost as a general expected thing. I could name a few names but won't. Many, many times the advice has been given to work it out individually however that gets done. How many times have the words "take it to PM" been written in those cases? It becomes an issue of how much administration does the board really want? It's been asked before, and it comes down to those who want a totally open forum with little involvement beyond the members themselves, to having a more tightly controlled forum where statements and threads are regularly called out or deleted.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but at some point there are members who perhaps can handle these dust-ups among themselves based on who they are and the fact that we're all adults who have been doing this for years. It's not new to this place and it's not uncommon in life in general. If the judgement call is made that something really does go too far for a variety of reasons, then further actions and stepping in may be required. The system seems to work overall and has in most cases for a decade now.

Does it always mean everyone thinks it's a fair deal? Nothing on or apart from this board in real life can have such a guarantee short of having an all-encompassing authority that swoops down on every case of a complaint or a feeling of unfairness. It's not a term I like to use but a lot of times it's true, and that is "you cannot please everyone". Some things, perhaps it's better to handle them yourself. Again, we're adults here. It can't be expected to have a classroom-like setup where anything that gets said or done will be closely monitored by the hour. I don't think many on the board want that, or maybe it's my mistake to think that way.

This is a fan forum. I'm repeating myself, but it's like a sports-talk radio or TV show in that fans have an open line to call in and talk, complain, and vent. Is everything said and heard going to agree with everyone's opinions? Is the way someone voices an opinion going to agree with everyone else? Of course not. That's the nature of having an open forum, an open line discussion format. It also allows "Joe from Rochester" to call in and blast the New York Jets' quarterback in no uncertain terms to be followed by "Frank from White Plains" to call in and defend him while arguing Joe's points.

That's the nature of fan forums and discussions. Above all it is every fan's right to voice these opinions and in turn, counter the ones they disagree with. It gets nasty, it gets stupid very often, but if you want an open fan forum that's the nature of the beast. These professional athletes like that Jets quarterback are paid to do what they do performing on the field, and those fans buying tickets and jerseys and a plate of wings and beer at the local bar to watch them are going to have a say. It can get ugly. It's how fans are, the good and the bad of it. And it goes well beyond sports teams.

After a certain point, you just cannot please everyone. So you try to find the best middle ground understanding that some will feel ripped off and some will agree with whatever was done.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: May 22, 2015, 10:33:07 AM »

That WAS the past and you had to bring it up again. Nobody cares about our disagreement in the past. You indicated that you don't know what I'm talking about on this thread, you don't care, yet you decide to chime in and add fuel to the fire. Not a good way to strengthen your relationship with other posters.

Because it's indicative of your personality. I was just trying to let guitarfool know that nobody else really knows or cares what your little fight is all about. You cant please everyone, so he shouldnt get so hung up on the fact that one person is displeased. How is that adding fuel to the fire? And y'know...Ive basically given up on having a good relationship with most posters here. If I talk about SMiLE it's "cocksure gaslighting" or some such according to buddhahat, if I weigh in on a petty feud that you had no issue airing in public Im adding "fuel to the fire" according to you, if I weigh in on some bad things a band member did Im a "hater" according to the Kokomo crowd...I cant win. So I dont care and just say what I want to regardless.

EDIT: Seriously though, I really cant see the logic behind airing a personal feud thats unrelated to the topic at hand in public, making a big spectacle of calling out one of the mods in front of everyone over something Im sure very few know or care about and then acting all righteous and indignant when someone else adds their two cents to it. Isnt this what you must have wanted airing your dirty laundry in public? Or are you upset that we're not rallying to your cause and hanging guitarfool out to dry? I really dont understand, what's the point of fighting in public if you didnt expect other people to comment?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:44:02 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 22, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »

what the f***, guys
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 22, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »

Because it's indicative of your personality. I was just trying to let guitarfool know that nobody else really knows or cares what your little fight is all about. You cant please everyone, so he shouldnt get so hung up on the fact that one person is displeased. How is that adding fuel to the fire? And y'know...Ive basically given up on having a good relationship with most posters here. If I talk about SMiLE it's "cocksure gaslighting" or some such according to buddhahat, if I weigh in on a petty feud that you had no issue airing in public Im adding "fuel to the fire" according to you, if I weigh in on some bad things a band member did Im a "hater" according to the Kokomo crowd...I cant win. So I dont care and just say what I want to regardless.

EDIT: Seriously though, I really cant see the logic behind airing a personal feud thats unrelated to the topic at hand in public, making a big spectacle of calling out one of the mods in front of everyone over something Im sure very few know or care about and then acting all righteous and indignant when someone else adds their two cents to it. Isnt this what you must have wanted airing your dirty laundry in public? Or are you upset that we're not rallying to your cause and hanging guitarfool out to dry? I really dont understand, what's the point of fighting in public if you didnt expect other people to comment?

My initial comment on this thread was to warn another poster not to push the mod (or others) too far. Guitarfool chose to go public with my experience with him and my ban, essentially saying that I "lied" and to prove it. He called me out on it. So my subsequent posts were intended to counter his claim that I lied. And I'm still not done yet! I still have "proof" through a private e-mail AND the thread in question to support my side of things. If Guitarfool wants to take it further on the board, I will. I don't like to be called a liar and neither does anyone else, I'm sure. And if others want to bring up past experiences with me like Mujan has, you're more than welcome! There are quite a few people on this board who I regard as friends, some of which have addressed me on the board, and have PM'ed and e-mailed me privately. Thanks for that!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 22, 2015, 11:02:13 AM »

i reread the whole thread that led to Mikie and myself getting 7 day timeouts and I honestly can't see nothing on it that warrented Mikie's ban, nothing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:08:39 AM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 22, 2015, 11:03:59 AM »

This thread was started to stir sh*t, and that's exactly what it did. Well done AGD, and well done everyone that played along.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 22, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »

Seriously, reread the first post in this thread - what could it have turned into, other than what it did?

KDS
« Reply #196 on: May 22, 2015, 11:08:33 AM »

Just wanted to try to lighten the mood a bit. 

It's a holiday weekend. 

Summer's just about here. 

We're two weeks from the release of Love and Mercy (in the US)

We're about a month or so away from the start of Brian Wilson's tour with Al and Blondie 

We're all here because of the music of this great band, and here's a great track to chill out to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45LpOzVcKYw
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 22, 2015, 11:13:04 AM »

Seriously, reread the first post in this thread - what could it have turned into, other than what it did?

Despite it being the same tired arguement, there was actually some decent conversations back and forth at one point....then it all turned to s hit.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 22, 2015, 11:45:41 AM »

... I'm wondering who the usual suspects would hate instead. Nominations ?

This question assumes that fans of the Beach Boys had and still have a need to hate one of the band members which suggests that this shows a failing on the part of the fans rather than that Mike Love has behaved in ways that have aroused this hostility.  I do not believe that such a need by the fans has yet been proven.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 22, 2015, 11:56:25 AM »

Not really, Andrew used the words 'usual suspects' - we all know what people he had in mind, not the entire Beach Boys fan community.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx