gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:15:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If Mike wasn't in the band...  (Read 60834 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2015, 04:24:53 PM »

Ya...except that Brian and Dennis were sick...drug addicts with alcohol issues.  One died.  The other kicked it and somehow mirculously was properly diagnosed in terms of the REAL problem and then subsequently was given the proper prescription.  How does that correlate to a guy who continues to proudly walk the brave land with both his feet in his self propelled yap?

To toss Dennis and Brian under the exhaust of the Mike Love bus is just wrong.  The issues are entirely different.  Opposites actulally.  MIKE should be able to help himself.  He chooses not to.

NOW WE'RE GETTING SOMEWHERE! I'm serious, Add Some. Your post should be framed or put in the Smiley Smile Message Board bylaws or posted as everybody's signature. Brian and Dennis Wilson are treated/handled/dealt with/posted about on this board under DIFFERENT STANDARDS than others because of their...problems. You just said it. And, you're right, that's how it is. So, there it is. Mike and Bruce and Al DON'T have all those problems so it's fair game and acceptable to criticize the sh*t out of them because they should be able to help themselves. But, Brian and Dennis can't help themselves so, different standards, or...double standards apply.

People with medically quantifiable mental issues are also treated differently in many court cases, with good reason. I have a family member who suffers from autism, and he sadly lashes out with violence sometimes. Should I think of his actions as equivalent to someone without his condition?

And while you're at it, if you want to, perhaps you could kindly address my question about double standards which I posed to you a couple posts back.

I work with individuals with disabilities every day so I am more than aware of the treatment that is necessary. But that's only half the point or half the issue. The other half is the double standard. Just because the "other" person doesn't have a disability, does that make it OK to disparage them, attack their character, call them vile names? Just because they don't have a disability? I don't think so, but that appears to be the standard on this board. I mean, these posts are being accepted.

And, with all due respect, I'll respond to questions or posts that I choose to. If I don't have anything to offer or say in relation to your question(s), well, I'm not gonna come up with some...response, just to appease you.

Firstly, the people who we are talking about are not copy/paste clones of each other who are only differentiated by the fact  that some of them have quantifiable mental illness and others don't.  There are things that one of them uniquely seems to have a pattern of doing which are part of why the criticism is dished out in a certain unequal manner... Mental illness aside.

And you are correct. The criticism should never get to a vile, over-the-top, hateful point.  That post which we saw earlier today was wrong and messed-up.

But I guess you are okay with certain double standards and not with others, since the only thing that can be "offered"  as a response to my question is that it is in fact a valid point. Heaven forbid that could possibly be conceded.

Could having nothing to say be because admitting that there's some truth is tantamount to being some sort of traitor or something? I don't get it; it's like pulling teeth to get Kokomaoists to call out extremism on their side when it happens.  But you're right... better to just avoid answering and say you simply have nothing to say... then maybe my valid point will disappear into the ether like you want it to.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:00:30 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2015, 04:48:02 PM »

Ya...except that Brian and Dennis were sick...drug addicts with alcohol issues.  One died.  The other kicked it and somehow mirculously was properly diagnosed in terms of the REAL problem and then subsequently was given the proper prescription.  How does that correlate to a guy who continues to proudly walk the brave land with both his feet in his self propelled yap?

To toss Dennis and Brian under the exhaust of the Mike Love bus is just wrong.  The issues are entirely different.  Opposites actulally.  MIKE should be able to help himself.  He chooses not to.

NOW WE'RE GETTING SOMEWHERE! I'm serious, Add Some. Your post should be framed or put in the Smiley Smile Message Board bylaws or posted as everybody's signature. Brian and Dennis Wilson are treated/handled/dealt with/posted about on this board under DIFFERENT STANDARDS than others because of their...problems. You just said it. And, you're right, that's how it is. So, there it is. Mike and Bruce and Al DON'T have all those problems so it's fair game and acceptable to criticize the sh*t out of them because they should be able to help themselves. But, Brian and Dennis can't help themselves so, different standards, or...double standards apply.

People with medically quantifiable mental issues are also treated differently in many court cases, with good reason. I have a family member who suffers from autism, and he sadly lashes out with violence sometimes. Should I think of his actions as equivalent to someone without his condition?

And while you're at it, if you want to, perhaps you could kindly address my question about double standards which I posed to you a couple posts back.

I work with individuals with disabilities every day so I am more than aware of the treatment that is necessary. But that's only half the point or half the issue. The other half is the double standard. Just because the "other" person doesn't have a disability, does that make it OK to disparage them, attack their character, call them vile names? Just because they don't have a disability? I don't think so, but that appears to be the standard on this board. I mean, these posts are being accepted.

And, with all due respect, I'll respond to questions or posts that I choose to. If I don't have anything to offer or say in relation to your question(s), well, I'm not gonna come up with some...response, just to appease you.

yeah...mikes disparaged because he doesnt have a disability. thats literally the only reason. yep. youve got us all figured out
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:49:15 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2015, 04:57:12 PM »

Ya...except that Brian and Dennis were sick...drug addicts with alcohol issues.  One died.  The other kicked it and somehow mirculously was properly diagnosed in terms of the REAL problem and then subsequently was given the proper prescription.  How does that correlate to a guy who continues to proudly walk the brave land with both his feet in his self propelled yap?

To toss Dennis and Brian under the exhaust of the Mike Love bus is just wrong.  The issues are entirely different.  Opposites actulally.  MIKE should be able to help himself.  He chooses not to.

yeah...mikes disparaged because he doesnt have a disability. thats literally the only reason. yep. youve got us all figured out
That kind of remark should never be aimed at anybody. Not you, me, Brian or Mike. It's is totally uncalled for and adds nothing constructive to the conversation.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2015, 05:28:01 PM »

That kind of remark should never be aimed at anybody. Not you, me, Brian or Mike. It's is totally uncalled for and adds nothing constructive to the conversation.

I think Ive added quite a bit to the conversation up to this point, thank you very much. But y'know, when presented with such a ridiculous assertion as what sherif was implying, I cant help but respond in the same manner. If anyone is really gonna sit there and say that Mike gets the flak he does simply because he doesnt have a disability, thats a completely ridiculous argument and ignores everything me, centurydeprived, add some and others have been saying for a dozen posts now. Just how is that uncalled for? I've had worse comments directed at me, and Ive seen worse comments directed at others on this board with nary a complaint from anyone, but no a sarcastic response to a silly assertion, thats where the line is drawn?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 05:30:07 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2015, 05:55:22 PM »

Time to point out the double standard. Yesterday AGD mentioned that several sources witnessed Brian weeping uncontrollably on a swing while Dennis looked at him blank faced and said 'F uck you, we need that song (Surf's Up)'. Now imagine if he'd said Mike instead of Dennis - we'd have had at least two pages by now on how Mike is an evil, bullying c unt, instead we get nothing other than a very reaching excuse for Dennis' actions.
These are The Beach Boys for fecks sake, they are all just as good at doing/saying dumb stuff as each other. Mike's antics are certainly worthy of criticism from time to time, but to spend so much time and energy on hating the guy to me is just pointless.

Yes, it is a double standard. Unfortunately, that is now the norm for this board, the double standard. Posters are allowed and do say anything they can think of to criticize Mike Love, but, Brian or Dennis Wilson, no, you must have an agenda if you say anything negative about them.

And this is even sadder. "Mike Love is a vicious asshole." "Brainless jock idiots." "Soul sucking jerks." "Anus to anus." The dude is a giant tumor."When he dies there will be a long line of people waiting to piss on his grave." And, we'll finish with this one - "Mike fucking asshat Love." Those quotes are one above poster's description of (mostly) Mike and Bruce. This is the new standard on this board. The moderators are now accepting this kind of...stuff. It is sad. Very sad.  

Double standard? Like this?

Tried to stay out of this, but hell. You took a swipe at GF, called him a hypocrite, and now refuse to back it up. If you have something to say, then say it. Tell you what, if you continue with this, you don't have to worry about him banning you, cause I'd have already done it. Say what you meant, or better yet discuss it privately with h8m, just quit clogging up the board with this garbage.

I spend a lot of time defending Mike when he's unfairly attacked (same with Brian, or anybody ) and crap like this is why it's so damn difficult. I'm supposed to be working right now yet I'm putting my job on the line dealing with this childish fuckery. Gloves are about to come off.

Billy, I feel terrible about this. I mean, for you to have to risk your job to come on the board to keep me from clogging the board with my crap and garbage, well, frankly I'm embarrassed. You know, Billy, I have this problem. It seems that I'm always posting something that upsets people on this board. But, I'll change; I know that I have the ability to change. And, just to show you that I'm on the right track, I'd like to apologize to anybody I offended with anything I posted, including guitarfool2012. But, Billy, there's still a few "loose ends" that I have to clear up before I can truly reach my goal on this message board. And, Billy, you're the perfect person to help me. I just have a few questions that I need answers for, if you don't mind.

Question 1: If a poster expresses their opinion about Brian Wilson, say a Brian Wilson solo album or a Brian Wilson TV performance for example, and an Honored Guest or a Moderator responds to that post by calling it "utter bullshit" or "total bullshit" or just plain old "bullshit", does the original poster have the right to then, in turn, refer to the Honored Guest or Moderator's post by calling IT "utter bullshit" or "total bullshit" or just plain old "bullshit"?

Question 2: Scott Totten recently posted, "Mike gets slandered and trashed on a regular basis and many of you think that is equal to wondering whether Brian played piano. I don't find these two examples to be of equal value. I really feel that some of you are bullies." Billy, when I read that I thought, "Uh oh, there's going to be some outrage now. Somebody is accusing board members of not only unwarranted Mike Love bashing, but also bullying. The moderators aren't going to like that." However, there was no outrage, barely a ripple. I then thought, "Gee, the moderators must agree with Scott.

Well, earlier in this thread I read this post, "Mike is a sad and insecure man", and "Mike is a wretched human being to his so called songwriting partner, Brian Wilson", and finally I read, "I don't think anyone can argue that Mike is the most tactless BB member, relatively speaking, nobody even comes close." Well, Billy, again I thought, "Now there will be outrage because the moderators must've agreed with Scott and will respond to this Mike bashing." So, I kept checking the board and checking the board, but I never saw a single moderator respond to those posts. No calling them "total bullshit", no asking them to apologize to Mike, not even a "Gloves are about to come off." Now I'm confused.

Thread after thread, post after post, things like Mike Love's vocals and Mike Love's lyrics and Mike Love's solo songs are criticized. Over and over. And I get that; this is a music message board. But, sadly, every other possible area of Mike's career, character - and life - is also criticized. I've read posts criticizing Mike's spiritual pursuits, Mike's personal conduct on the road, and I've even seen comments directed about the legitimacy of his children. And, those comments were allowed. I ask you, Billy, would those same comments be permitted if they were directed at Brian Wilson? I ask an even more specific question. If somebody merely substituted the name Brian Wilson in place of Mike Love, would the same comment be allowed? For example, Brian Wilson is a wretched human being. Brain Wilson is the most tactless BB member and nobody comes close. I don't think they would permitted. Wow, I almost slipped and used the "h" word. But, see, I'm already getting better and caught myself.

Just one more thing, Billy, and I'm sorry to bother you, but, well, it's about my wife. Oh, don't misunderstand, she's a wonderful woman. She volunteers at church, works at charities; she's a beautiful person. But, see, Billy, when I'm reading or posting on the message board, she thinks I'm discussing good vibrations, going to the beach, and fun, fun, fun. Sometimes she's lurking, you know, when she's cleaning, and she'll occasionally take a peek at the computer monitor, and, well, Billy, if she saw where you described my posts as "childish fuckery", she'd get very upset. She's very sensitive. So, Billy, the next time you insult me or use derogatory terms to describe my posts, could you not use the term "child fuckery"? 

Billy, thank you for everything you do for this message board. I realize it's a long, hard, thankless job. Love and mercy... 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2015, 05:57:47 PM »

Exactly, it's what the kokomaoists do best. Throwing insults under the banner of "positivity" like Mike Love does.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2015, 06:17:14 PM »

Ya...except that Brian and Dennis were sick...drug addicts with alcohol issues.  One died.  The other kicked it and somehow mirculously was properly diagnosed in terms of the REAL problem and then subsequently was given the proper prescription.  How does that correlate to a guy who continues to proudly walk the brave land with both his feet in his self propelled yap?

To toss Dennis and Brian under the exhaust of the Mike Love bus is just wrong.  The issues are entirely different.  Opposites actulally.  MIKE should be able to help himself.  He chooses not to.

I think Ive added quite a bit to the conversation up to this point, thank you very much. But y'know, when presented with such a ridiculous assertion as what sherif was implying, I cant help but respond in the same manner. If anyone is really gonna sit there and say that Mike gets the flak he does simply because he doesnt have a disability, thats a completely ridiculous argument and ignores everything me, centurydeprived, add some and others have been saying for a dozen posts now. Just how is that uncalled for? I've had worse comments directed at me, and Ive seen worse comments directed at others on this board with nary a complaint from anyone, but no a sarcastic response to a silly assertion, thats where the line is drawn?
I was referring to Roger the shredder's post. Not to you, at all. To me, there is no defense for what he said. It isn't funny and it isn't quaint, emoticon or not.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2015, 06:19:07 PM »

Exactly, it's what the kokomaoists do best. Throwing insults under the banner of "positivity" like Mike Love does.

Have to agree.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2015, 06:19:59 PM »

Time to point out the double standard. Yesterday AGD mentioned that several sources witnessed Brian weeping uncontrollably on a swing while Dennis looked at him blank faced and said 'F uck you, we need that song (Surf's Up)'. Now imagine if he'd said Mike instead of Dennis - we'd have had at least two pages by now on how Mike is an evil, bullying c unt, instead we get nothing other than a very reaching excuse for Dennis' actions.
These are The Beach Boys for fecks sake, they are all just as good at doing/saying dumb stuff as each other. Mike's antics are certainly worthy of criticism from time to time, but to spend so much time and energy on hating the guy to me is just pointless.

Yes, it is a double standard. Unfortunately, that is now the norm for this board, the double standard. Posters are allowed and do say anything they can think of to criticize Mike Love, but, Brian or Dennis Wilson, no, you must have an agenda if you say anything negative about them.

And this is even sadder. "Mike Love is a vicious asshole." "Brainless jock idiots." "Soul sucking jerks." "Anus to anus." The dude is a giant tumor."When he dies there will be a long line of people waiting to piss on his grave." And, we'll finish with this one - "Mike fucking asshat Love." Those quotes are one above poster's description of (mostly) Mike and Bruce. This is the new standard on this board. The moderators are now accepting this kind of...stuff. It is sad. Very sad.  

Double standard? Like this?

Tried to stay out of this, but hell. You took a swipe at GF, called him a hypocrite, and now refuse to back it up. If you have something to say, then say it. Tell you what, if you continue with this, you don't have to worry about him banning you, cause I'd have already done it. Say what you meant, or better yet discuss it privately with h8m, just quit clogging up the board with this garbage.

I spend a lot of time defending Mike when he's unfairly attacked (same with Brian, or anybody ) and crap like this is why it's so damn difficult. I'm supposed to be working right now yet I'm putting my job on the line dealing with this childish fuckery. Gloves are about to come off.

Billy, I feel terrible about this. I mean, for you to have to risk your job to come on the board to keep me from clogging the board with my crap and garbage, well, frankly I'm embarrassed. You know, Billy, I have this problem. It seems that I'm always posting something that upsets people on this board. But, I'll change; I know that I have the ability to change. And, just to show you that I'm on the right track, I'd like to apologize to anybody I offended with anything I posted, including guitarfool2012. But, Billy, there's still a few "loose ends" that I have to clear up before I can truly reach my goal on this message board. And, Billy, you're the perfect person to help me. I just have a few questions that I need answers for, if you don't mind.

Question 1: If a poster expresses their opinion about Brian Wilson, say a Brian Wilson solo album or a Brian Wilson TV performance for example, and an Honored Guest or a Moderator responds to that post by calling it "utter bullshit" or "total bullshit" or just plain old "bullshit", does the original poster have the right to then, in turn, refer to the Honored Guest or Moderator's post by calling IT "utter bullshit" or "total bullshit" or just plain old "bullshit"?

Question 2: Scott Totten recently posted, "Mike gets slandered and trashed on a regular basis and many of you think that is equal to wondering whether Brian played piano. I don't find these two examples to be of equal value. I really feel that some of you are bullies." Billy, when I read that I thought, "Uh oh, there's going to be some outrage now. Somebody is accusing board members of not only unwarranted Mike Love bashing, but also bullying. The moderators aren't going to like that." However, there was no outrage, barely a ripple. I then thought, "Gee, the moderators must agree with Scott.

Well, earlier in this thread I read this post, "Mike is a sad and insecure man", and "Mike is a wretched human being to his so called songwriting partner, Brian Wilson", and finally I read, "I don't think anyone can argue that Mike is the most tactless BB member, relatively speaking, nobody even comes close." Well, Billy, again I thought, "Now there will be outrage because the moderators must've agreed with Scott and will respond to this Mike bashing." So, I kept checking the board and checking the board, but I never saw a single moderator respond to those posts. No calling them "total bullshit", no asking them to apologize to Mike, not even a "Gloves are about to come off." Now I'm confused.

Thread after thread, post after post, things like Mike Love's vocals and Mike Love's lyrics and Mike Love's solo songs are criticized. Over and over. And I get that; this is a music message board. But, sadly, every other possible area of Mike's career, character - and life - is also criticized. I've read posts criticizing Mike's spiritual pursuits, Mike's personal conduct on the road, and I've even seen comments directed about the legitimacy of his children. And, those comments were allowed. I ask you, Billy, would those same comments be permitted if they were directed at Brian Wilson? I ask an even more specific question. If somebody merely substituted the name Brian Wilson in place of Mike Love, would the same comment be allowed? For example, Brian Wilson is a wretched human being. Brain Wilson is the most tactless BB member and nobody comes close. I don't think they would permitted. Wow, I almost slipped and used the "h" word. But, see, I'm already getting better and caught myself.

Just one more thing, Billy, and I'm sorry to bother you, but, well, it's about my wife. Oh, don't misunderstand, she's a wonderful woman. She volunteers at church, works at charities; she's a beautiful person. But, see, Billy, when I'm reading or posting on the message board, she thinks I'm discussing good vibrations, going to the beach, and fun, fun, fun. Sometimes she's lurking, you know, when she's cleaning, and she'll occasionally take a peek at the computer monitor, and, well, Billy, if she saw where you described my posts as "childish fuckery", she'd get very upset. She's very sensitive. So, Billy, the next time you insult me or use derogatory terms to describe my posts, could you not use the term "child fuckery"?  

Billy, thank you for everything you do for this message board. I realize it's a long, hard, thankless job. Love and mercy...  
v
I don't understand, why are you addressing this post and not the one that started this series of posts in the first place?  

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2015, 06:20:06 PM »

This thread has done exactly what it was posted to do. Stir up the sh*t.

Here's my take, forget about moderator this-and-that.

No one stops anyone from challenging what gets said or written here. If things are being said that don't jive or agree with what may be known to be the way things actually happened, prepare to have it challenged.

At that point, present some facts to back it up, and have discussions just like any number of scholars, intellectuals, professors, authorities of any kind in any field are doing as part of their everyday existence. Debate, challenge, hypothesize, analyze, whatever else is in the process. This may sound funny but it really is not: There are astrophysicists and biblical scholars and musicologists who are authorities in the works of various composers having similar conversations as we speak in their own fields of expertise.

An article may be published in the next issue of JAMA that would cause the same kinds of arguments as we see here on occasion. One transplant surgeon in Switzerland might make a conclusion based on his research, publish it, and perhaps hundreds of doctors around the world would say "bullshit" in reply. That's the way it goes. The field of history just happens to be one where the arguments get escalated even more. Or maybe not.

The warning bell for me, call it the red flag, is when the request for something concrete (as in a 'fact' or an 'example') becomes the topic over the actual topic. "You have no right to ask for proof, I know what I know! I hear what I hear! I don't have to prove anything!"

Oh really? Prove it. Simple as that. When making the case that nothing needs to be presented, nothing has to be offered as a counter to the point being argued, to the point of that overtaking the topic itself, that's when the red flag goes up. Too many red flags recently. Or perhaps since 2012.

If Mike or Brian or Al or Mumbly Joe or Phyllis says something in an interview, it's fair game. If that something doesn't add up to previously known information or facts, be prepared for people to challenge it. It might get heated, too. That's the way it goes.

Above all, facts are facts. Some things no matter how much it is attempted to nuance or parse or reshape or "set the record straight" are what they are. Again, don't expect things that don't add up to just be accepted as fact. If those things are opinions being presented as fact, be prepared even more. If those things are attempts to change fact entirely, it's game on.

It's not always about "hating" on someone by challenging, questioning, or calling bullshit on something written or said. Does it go too far? Sometimes, yes.

Guess what? That's real life. People argue, fight, and call names. It ain't pretty, but it happens. It gets dealt with.

But to make these constant suggestions about "haters" and double standards and all the other stuff? C'mon, just roll with it.

Or better yet, if things are said that don't sit well with you, or that go against facts or whatever the case, put up a challenge. Ask for - no, demand - proof if necessary. Back it up.

If the argument against doing that is made more strongly than the original points, you might have a clue as to what's going on. Meaning, the tank might just be empty at that point. The facts ran out.

Like I still have that standing offer for a bottle of wine, which no one has ever accepted or even tried to claim. But that's another can o' worms.

Just things to consider next time the attempts are made to label people who have issues with something or someone "haters" here, or drag everything into a big shitstorm of a wrestling match.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2015, 06:21:47 PM »

I don't understand, why are you addressing this post and not the one that started this series of posts in the first place?  

Something about those who live in glass houses, I can't recall the rest.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2015, 06:23:56 PM »

The other half is the double standard. Just because the "other" person doesn't have a disability, does that make it OK to disparage them, attack their character, call them vile names?

It does if said person attacks others' character and takes jab at them for their problems/disability.
s

Here's the thing (and why I'm wasting my time with this on my lunch break, I have no idea)...many  of the attack posts on Mike have been out of line (and some have been very much so). What I don't get is why some posters have to be 100% on either 'side'. EVERY member of the group has done things in the past that would get the average person quite a lot of sh*t, and rightfully so. Some, however, have learned from their past actions and grown as people, and some haven't...and it's perfectly okay to criticize for the latter.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:26:51 PM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2015, 06:24:40 PM »

I was referring to Roger the shredder's post. Not to you, at all. To me, there is no defense for what he said. It isn't funny and it isn't quaint, emoticon or not.

ah. you quoted my post, so i assumed otherwise.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2015, 06:27:38 PM »

I call bullshit. Do your job. Mike Love nor anyone else should have to read what was posted. I agree with what you said above, but it has nothing to do with RTS's post. We who are offended by the post should not have to defend our position. What he said cannot be argued reasonably. It would just be more sh*t throwing.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2015, 06:29:24 PM »

Quote from: Sheriff John Stone link=topich=21625.msg518746#msg518746 date=1432247659

My apologies to you. I can understand why you assumed that.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2015, 06:34:12 PM »

I call bullshit. Do your job. Mike Love nor anyone else should have to read what was posted. I agree with what you said above, but it has nothing to do with RTS's post. We who are offended by the post should not have to defend our position. What he said cannot be argued reasonably. It would just be more sh*t throwing.

I've already messaged him about it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2015, 06:35:19 PM »

Careful, Dirk. He'll ban you with the flick of a switch. When he starts wielding his power, time to take the hint and save it for a rainy day.

Your friend,

Mikie

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2015, 06:36:02 PM »

Quote from: Sheriff John Stone link=topich=21625.msg518746#msg518746 date=1432247659

no worries.

For my money, RTS' post was insanely hyperbolic but i dont think it should be taken down for "offending" anyone. I just dont believe in that kind of PC bullshit. I say the only posts that ought to be taken down are deliberate spam and personal attacks on other board members.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2015, 06:37:43 PM »

Careful, Dirk. He'll ban you with the flick of a switch. When he starts wielding his power, time to take the hint and save it for a rainy day.

Your friend,

Mikie
Thanks Mikie, warning noted. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2015, 06:39:06 PM »

How about this: The board is whatever the membership chooses, whatever direction it takes is up to what the members post. It's an open forum.

Plenty gets said that cannot be argued reasonably. Plenty gets said that is an outright lie. Plenty gets said that comes from sources other than what is presented. Plenty gets done which doesn't make sense at all, by people who should know better. You know what? A lot goes on away from the public part of the board. Some really stupid sh*t. Some outright lies and stuff like that. That can of worms could be opened as well but the results might not be what some might think. Those complaining about double standards, consider that. Just saying.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2015, 06:39:53 PM »

Guitarfool wouldn't do that, he is a scholar and gentleman.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2015, 06:43:17 PM »

no worries.

For my money, RTS' post was insanely hyperbolic but i dont think it should be taken down for "offending" anyone. I just dont believe in that kind of PC bullshit. I say the only posts that ought to be taken down are deliberate spam and personal attacks on other board members.
I am offended and a few others, as well. And not PC offended. Just plain good taste and decency offended.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2015, 06:43:45 PM »

Mike Love nor anyone else should have to read what was posted. I agree with what you said above, but it has nothing to do with RTS's post. We who are offended by the post should not have to defend our position. What he said cannot be argued reasonably. It would just be more sh*t throwing.

I agree with THIS actually.  Tried to make light of it...but really it was and is out of line and serves no purpose other than to conquer and divide.   Someone mentioned it earlier,  It would seem that Andrew made his point.  [or rather some of us made it for him]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2015, 06:44:45 PM »

Someone explain what happened here, please. I mean, certain posters love to complain when Mike's own ill considered comments result in backlash and so-called "Mike negativity." Yet, here we are, all politely discussing Brian's movie, interviews, albums, tour and Mike's upcoming shows, and out of the blue we have a thread guaranteed to illicit "Mike negativity." And the "Brianistas" didn't start it.

What, did it get to civil around here?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2015, 06:46:40 PM »

Its the Agenda being pushed on the board as told by Howard Beale.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:47:32 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx