gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:19:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If Mike wasn't in the band...  (Read 60784 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 09:39:07 AM »

Until the books started to appear towards the mid-70s, I never knew nothing of their personalities and such, except for what they wrote on the back of their album covers. Mike came off as smug to me, though I am not sure why. It wasn't until Leaf's book that I started to take a dislike to him. Yet, once I realized Leaf had an agenda, I never again based my likes/dislikes on any of the books and articles that followed over the years. Like all of us, they have their good points and bad points and viewed them as "they are what they are". I will say that I always most identified with Brian earlier in my fandom and then later with Carl once he took prominence in the band.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »

It's kind of sad that so many people's views of one man is based upon the agenda of just another fan.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 09:54:11 AM »

It's kind of sad that so many people's views of one man is based upon the agenda of just another fan.
I bought that book not knowing that it really wasn't about the Beach Boys. It was a book about Brian Wilson and the five assholes. I was very dismayed, to say the least. Like every book, there usually has to be a hero and a villain. Mike made the perfect villain in the Beach Boys' story. He and Dennis were the alpha dogs in the band and of course Mike being the front-man had the most visibility.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 10:35:05 AM »

... I'm wondering who the usual suspects would hate instead. Nominations ?

You're framing it as if the people who dislike Mike need to hate anybody. As if they enjoy hating SOMEONE, ANYONE and Mike is an easy target so they latch unto him. Really tho, there's many a valid reason to dislike Mike. Thats all there is to it. No matter how much it gets underplayed by most here, no matter how much the "club kokomo" crowd try to muddle the issue, hes done some things that were bad for the band and bad in general which is why he gets hate. Sure, the others have their faults to, but in my perception (and Im hardly alone on this) not to the same degree, and they have redeeming qualities. Mike does too, but it's his general attitude...his constant self-congratulations and always bringing up other people's shortcomings (whether prompted to or not) that really rubs people the wrong way and makes him come off like a complete ass.

I understand why people like him, but is it really so hard to see why people hate him? For my money, Im in the middle...possibly leaning more towards the disapproval side.

This. It sucks to have a band which one deeply loves contain a band member who is both so vilified, as well as who does so many actions which, if not always on the level of the wrath they incur, are still worthy of major headshaking and eyerolls. It is not what I wish was reality, nor would this person's absence create a magical need to shift frustrations onto another bandmember.

If the implication of this thread is that people somehow "need" or "want" to have issues or dislike a given band member in a band... well, I do not think that is true in the slightest. There are numerous bands which I also adore and I have no major issues with how the various bandmembers seem to conduct themselves. (And there are also some others which I do; case by case). Fans don't go actively looking for someone in their favorite band to dump on. That's a ridiculous implication, if that's what the implication is. It *just so happens* that this band has a bandmember who is a magnet for controversy. If Mike didn't exist, but the band still happened to have gotten to a similar level of fame and subsequent discussion (which I think is unlikely, because Mike was vital to the band's early success, just as Murry was), people would probably be talking about Murry and Landy more, perhaps. But since they've been dead for a good length of time, they would no longer continually be stirring up stuff in current times.

I also think that the Kokomaoist extremists unintentionally cause a lot of hate to come out of the other side. Especially with the Kokomaoist extremists' frequent brief, one sentence sarcastic responses to well-thought out and nuanced discussion. When some people will defend anything that one given person does, and/or just sit back quietly and NEVER proactively say something to the effect of "you have a good point there" when a good critical point is made, well let's just say that this creates more fury; never backing down from a defensive stance just makes people feel they have more convincing to do.

(Fully expecting a Kokomaoist extremist to chime in with a sarcastic, childlike, one-sentence response here, ignoring and avoiding all the other points made in this post and this thread).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:04:31 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 11:00:56 AM »

You're framing it as if the people who dislike Mike need to hate anybody. As if they enjoy hating SOMEONE, ANYONE and Mike is an easy target so they latch unto him. Really tho, there's many a valid reason to dislike Mike. Thats all there is to it. No matter how much it gets underplayed by most here, no matter how much the "club kokomo" crowd try to muddle the issue, hes done some things that were bad for the band and bad in general which is why he gets hate. Sure, the others have their faults to, but in my perception (and Im hardly alone on this) not to the same degree, and they have redeeming qualities. Mike does too, but it's his general attitude...his constant self-congratulations and always bringing up other people's shortcomings (whether prompted to or not) that really rubs people the wrong way and makes him come off like a complete ass.

I understand why people like him, but is it really so hard to see why people hate him? For my money, Im in the middle...possibly leaning more towards the disapproval side.

This. It sucks to have a band which one deeply loves contain a band member who is both so vilified, as well as who does so many actions which, if not always on the level of the wrath they incur, are still worthy of major headshaking and eyerolls. It is not what I wish was reality, nor would this person's absence create a magical need to shift frustrations onto another bandmember.

If the implication of this thread is that people somehow "need" or "want" to have issues or dislike a given band member in a band... well, I do not think that is true in the slightest. There are numerous bands which I also adore and I have no major issues with how the various bandmembers seem to conduct themselves. Fans don't go actively looking for someone in their favorite band to dump on. That's a ridiculous implication, if that's what the implication is. It *just so happens* that this band has a bandmember who is a magnet for controversy. If Mike didn't exist, but the band still happened to have gotten to a similar level of fame and subsequent discussion (which I think is unlikely, because Mike was vital to the band's early success, just as Murry was), people would probably be talking about Murry and Landy more, perhaps. But since they've been dead for a good length of time, they would no longer continually be stirring up stuff in current times.

I also think that the Kokomaoist extremists unintentionally cause a lot of hate to come out of the other side. When some people will defend anything that one given person does, and/or just sit back quietly and NEVER proactively say something to the effect of "you have a good point there" when a good critical point is made, well let's just say that this creates more fury; never backing down from a defensive stance just makes people feel they have more convincing to do.

Both of these posts sum up my thoughts perfectly. I'm a huge fan of many different bands and I don't activity seek out an antagonist to vilify. Why would I? I'd rather just enjoy the music. That being said, Mike has done PLENTY to justify the certain level of irritation that some fans feel about the man.

Books, legends, stories from this site aside: I implore any Mike apologist to read Mike's latest string of interviews...If Ringo Starr started saying publicly that Paul McCartney was controlled and on prescription meds, made a negative implication about a Paul solo song before he even heard it, made a passive aggressive comment about Paul's current singing voice, ALL FOR NO REASON AT ALL would it really surprise anyone if people started disliking Ringo?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 11:20:27 AM »

If the implication of this thread is that people somehow "need" or "want" to have issues or dislike a given band member in a band... well, I do not think that is true in the slightest. There are numerous bands which I also adore and I have no major issues with how the various bandmembers seem to conduct themselves. Fans don't go actively looking for someone in their favorite band to dump on. That's a ridiculous implication, if that's what the implication is. It *just so happens* that this band has a bandmember who is a magnet for controversy. If Mike didn't exist, but the band still happened to have gotten to a similar level of fame and subsequent discussion (which I think is unlikely, because Mike was vital to the band's early success, just as Murry was), people would probably be talking about Murry and Landy more, perhaps. But since they've been dead for a good length of time, they would no longer continually be stirring up stuff in current times.

I also think that the Kokomaoist extremists unintentionally cause a lot of hate to come out of the other side. When some people will defend anything that one given person does, and/or just sit back quietly and NEVER proactively say something to the effect of "you have a good point there" when a good critical point is made, well let's just say that this creates more fury; never backing down from a defensive stance just makes people feel they have more convincing to do.

Both of these posts sum up my thoughts perfectly. I'm a huge fan of many different bands and I don't activity seek out an antagonist to vilify. Why would I? I'd rather just enjoy the music. That being said, Mike has done PLENTY to justify the certain level of irritation that some fans feel about the man.

Books, legends, stories from this site aside: I implore any Mike apologist to read Mike's latest string of interviews...If Ringo Starr started saying publicly that Paul McCartney was controlled and on prescription meds, made a negative implication about a Paul solo song before he even heard it, made a passive aggressive comment about Paul's current singing voice, ALL FOR NO REASON AT ALL would it really surprise anyone if people started disliking Ringo?

Unless Ringo criticized Paul for doing a song with Kanye West. 

rogerlancelot
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 11:28:01 AM »

I honestly believe that Mike Love would not be very attractive in drag. Of course it would give him the opportunity to wear a wig while performing which might be worth the ticket price.

EDITED: Sorry, Dirk. Did not mean to offend you.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:52:23 PM by Roger The Shrubber » Logged
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 11:40:56 AM »

I honestly believe that Mike Love is a vicious asshole. I wish he hadn't ever been in the band. His singing (especially in the bass register) is the most out of tune of the members (bar Brian post 1975). Rieley should have booted his ass out of the band along with Bruce back in '71. Brainless jock idiots. Soul sucking jerks.

However, I will try to say a couple of nice things about Mike fucking asshat Love:

01) His put down on Mick Jagger was great. Anus to anus.

02) Um, that's actually all I can think of for now. The dude is a giant tumor. When he dies, there will be a long line of people waiting to piss on his grave.

Grin

P.S. Try googling the words "mike love asshole" and you will come across pages and pages about why he is such a disgrace:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mike+love+asshole

And then there is the chapter in the Stebbins FAQ book.

It is this kind of c**p, along with the earlier d-bag comment, that keeps me away from this board for weeks or months at a time.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 11:43:06 AM »

If the implication of this thread is that people somehow "need" or "want" to have issues or dislike a given band member in a band... well, I do not think that is true in the slightest. There are numerous bands which I also adore and I have no major issues with how the various bandmembers seem to conduct themselves. (And there are also some others which I do; case by case). Fans don't go actively looking for someone in their favorite band to dump on. That's a ridiculous implication, if that's what the implication is. It *just so happens* that this band has a bandmember who is a magnet for controversy. If Mike didn't exist, but the band still happened to have gotten to a similar level of fame and subsequent discussion (which I think is unlikely, because Mike was vital to the band's early success, just as Murry was), people would probably be talking about Murry and Landy more, perhaps. But since they've been dead for a good length of time, they would no longer continually be stirring up stuff in current times.

I also think that the Kokomaoist extremists unintentionally cause a lot of hate to come out of the other side. Especially with the Kokomaoist extremists' frequent brief, one sentence sarcastic responses to well-thought out and nuanced discussion. When some people will defend anything that one given person does, and/or just sit back quietly and NEVER proactively say something to the effect of "you have a good point there" when a good critical point is made, well let's just say that this creates more fury; never backing down from a defensive stance just makes people feel they have more convincing to do.

(Fully expecting a Kokomaoist extremist to chime in with a sarcastic, childlike, one-sentence response here, ignoring and avoiding all the other points made in this post and this thread).
From the other side, you third paragraph rings true for Brianista's too. Picking sides can only result in this type of behavior. Human nature, I suppose. I may like certain band members more than others, but I dislike none of them. For better or worse, they are The Beach Boys for Christ's sake.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 11:46:41 AM »

I honestly believe that Mike Love is a vicious asshole. I wish he hadn't ever been in the band. His singing (especially in the bass register) is the most out of tune of the members (bar Brian post 1975). Rieley should have booted his ass out of the band along with Bruce back in '71. Brainless jock idiots. Soul sucking jerks.

However, I will try to say a couple of nice things about Mike fucking asshat Love:

02) Um, that's actually all I can think of for now. The dude is a giant tumor. When he dies, there will be a long line of people waiting to piss on his grave.

Grin

P.S. Try googling the words "mike love asshole" and you will come across pages and pages about why he is such a disgrace:

It is this kind of c**p, along with the earlier d-bag comment, that keeps me away from this board for weeks or months at a time.
I agree. That is WAY over the line.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »

Grin

I agree. That is WAY over the line.

Thirded. Way over the line indeed.

And I've been equated to being the flipside of the single most extremist Kokomaoist on this board? That's a laugh.

(Now let's see how many extreme Kokomoaists will go out of their way to specifically point out that a Mike Love defender is going way over the line the next time it happens... My guess is zero).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:11:41 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2015, 12:04:23 PM »

Grin

And I thought bismuth had a shitload of edges. I CAN'T GET A GRIP ON ALL THIS EDGE, GUYS.

15 Big Ones/15 topkek trollbait bro.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 12:21:23 PM »

I added a "smiley". That doesn't count for anything?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 12:43:48 PM »

Worked for me. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 12:48:22 PM »

idk, but I think that was an interesting point about Rieley kicking Mike out of the band at least. Would that have been possible? Honestly, I think by that point he had done all he could to help them and from then on he was dead weight, more or less. Could Dennis have filled in as a frontman by then? Carl? Blondie or Ricky?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2015, 12:54:19 PM »

I got the 'feel' that Carl was in charge up on stage when Jack was around.  They didn't NEED a front man.  They were the Beach Boys for goodness sake.  By then everyone sang leads...including Blondie.  They had seemingly become a band of equals musically speaking.  The front man thing was old school and one didn't need a guy tip-toeing/swishing around and mock-lisping on stage.  It detracted from the music gigantically.  So Jack made it STOP.  And then...he left...and...

Example?  Listen to Live in London.  Or check out Mike prancing around in his dumb as sh*t sailor captain hat in front of the good ship 15 Bigguns.  Suddenly it was 1963 all over again...with longer hair.  Awful freakin' stuff.

Thank gawd he doesn't do that sh*t now.

[by the way it bugged me just as much when Jagger used to pull that stupid twaddle.  The thing is we all know Mick didn't 'lift' the concept from Michael Edward.  Mind you I kind of found Mike annoying as the 'front man' back BEFORE he started trying to do his version of the Mick thing.  I am convinced Mike only 'got' the responsibility 'cause NO ONE else in the band could have done it way back when.  Too young.  Too shy.  Too incapable.  And Denny was way at the back sitting behind the drums.  T'was the absolute WEAKEST part of the group from the beginning...that and the 'wardrobe']
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:06:45 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2015, 01:02:49 PM »

Plus his stage banter got unbearable to listen to. Just droning in for ages about stupid sh*t.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2015, 01:18:39 PM »

I got the 'feel' that Carl was in charge up on stage when Jack was around.  They didn't NEED a front man.  They were the Beach Boys for goodness sake.  By then everyone sang leads...including Blondie.  They had seemingly become a band of equals musically speaking.  The front man thing was old school and one didn't need a guy tip-toeing/swishing around and mock-lisping on stage.  It detracted from the music gigantically.  So Jack made it STOP.  And then...he left...and...

Example?  Listen to Live in London.  Or check out Mike prancing around in his dumb as sh*t sailor captain hat in front of the good ship 15 Bigguns.  Suddenly it was 1963 all over again...with longer hair.  Awful freakin' stuff.

[by the way it bugged me just as much when Jagger used to pull that stupid twaddle.  The thing is we all know Mick didn't 'lift' the concept from Michael Edward.  Mind you I kind of found Mike annoying as the 'front man' back BEFORE he started trying to do his version of the Mick thing.  I am convinced Mike only 'got' the responsibility 'cause NO ONE else in the band could have done it way back when.  Too young.  Too shy.  Too incapable.  And Denny was way at the back sitting behind the drums.  T'was the absolute WEAKEST part of the group from the beginning...that and the 'wardrobe']
In 1976, what Mike was wearing and doing was mild for the times. There was some wild, over the top sh*t going on in the 70's. Queen, Bowie and all the Glam Rock stuff. Not to mention all the Disco and Funk-A-Delic stuff too.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2015, 01:21:14 PM »

Plus his stage banter got unbearable to listen to. Just droning in for ages about stupid sh*t.

Thats what I mean. Combined with not writing any good songs past oh say 1967 or '68...was he really needed anymore at that point?

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2015, 01:22:47 PM »

I GET that Doc.  100%.  But that was a new segment/genre in the biz.  The Beach Boys didn't DO that kind of music nor could they justify that type of approach.  They weren't trying to image themselves in THAT camp.  AND...they were established with a list of hit songs and albums that would have been the envy of all those glam acts.

It just didn't work for the Beach Boys...at all...even once.  It was dorky...with a capital D.  I guess all we can be thankful for is that he didn't come out wearing a speedo stuffed with socks.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:24:14 PM by Add Some » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2015, 01:23:30 PM »

In 1976, what Mike was wearing and doing was mild for the times. There was some wild, over the top sh*t going on in the 70's. Queen, Bowie and all the Glam Rock stuff. Not to mention all the Disco and Funk-A-Delic stuff too.

Forgive me, but I thought glam rock was an 80s thing? And disco is different. The whole thing with disco is that it wouldnt be a live band playing, it would be a DJ at a swinging night club. So maybe the patrons would be wearing wild clothes doing over-the-top dance moves, but it wouldnt be the frontman of the band doing that stuff.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2015, 01:26:26 PM »

No...Queen and Bowie and a mincing Mick were all around by the early to mid 70s.  And then there were The Barbarians...was that in the TAMI show?  Can't remember.  Are You A Boy Or Are You A Girl?

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2015, 01:29:53 PM »

Time to point out the double standard. Yesterday AGD mentioned that several sources witnessed Brian weeping uncontrollably on a swing while Dennis looked at him blank faced and said 'F uck you, we need that song (Surf's Up)'. Now imagine if he'd said Mike instead of Dennis - we'd have had at least two pages by now on how Mike is an evil, bullying c unt, instead we get nothing other than a very reaching excuse for Dennis' actions.
These are The Beach Boys for fecks sake, they are all just as good at doing/saying dumb stuff as each other. Mike's antics are certainly worthy of criticism from time to time, but to spend so much time and energy on hating the guy to me is just pointless.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2015, 01:33:02 PM »

Time to point out the double standard. Yesterday AGD mentioned that several sources witnessed Brian weeping uncontrollably on a swing while Dennis looked at him blank faced and said 'F uck you, we need that song (Surf's Up)'. Now imagine if he'd said Mike instead of Dennis - we'd have had at least two pages by now on how Mike is an evil, bullying c unt, instead we get nothing other than a very reaching excuse for Dennis' actions.
These are The Beach Boys for fecks sake, they are all just as good at doing/saying dumb stuff as each other. Mike's antics are certainly worthy of criticism from time to time, but to spend so much time and energy on hating the guy to me is just pointless.

Firstly, there was someone (me) who said that sounds like those actions were very harsh and likely going too far. Secondly, this sounds like it was a real exception with Dennis, and not any kind of recurring pattern. If it seemed like it was a recurring pattern, coupled with copious amounts of defensive speak from the perpetrator, I think more people would be having big-picture conversations about it.

So no, it's not a double standard. Sorry. The real double standard was pointed out 13 posts above your last post.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:36:58 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2015, 01:35:01 PM »

I don't hate him.  Pointed out that he was KEY to the fact that they found a sound and lasted.  Don't...and never have agreed...that he is ALL that...that he is a dominant creative guy...that he is the best singer...that he was even a decent front man.  As part of the UNIT...the group...he was important.  He even contributed some neat lyrics and ideas for adding to the music.  So too did Carl and Al.

Hate him?  Not a chance.  Respect him?  Sometimes.  Give him any credit that isn't due?  Never.  Besides we all know that he'll grab THAT for himself.  It's just his life-long nature.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx