gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:24:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If Mike wasn't in the band...  (Read 60789 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2015, 10:51:45 PM »

... I'm wondering who the usual suspects would hate instead. Nominations ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 11:04:16 PM »

al

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 11:06:14 PM »

Al. Already is for some mopes.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:37:19 PM »

I'm guessing it would be anyone who didn't have Wilson for a last name.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 11:45:27 PM »

AGD

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:57:42 PM »

We might not have a band called The BBs which lasted any significant length of time, and they might not have gotten famous in the early days without a frontman like he was when they needed one.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 12:15:12 AM »

AGD

Infamy, infamy... they've all got it in fer me !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 12:59:50 AM »

I think Murry would get even more of a lashing!!  Evil
jamesellaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 01:14:38 AM »

To be fair, I'm a fan of many, many bands and there's no-one who divides their own fanbase quite like Mike...
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 01:17:41 AM »

If Mike wasn't in the band they'd be called The Beach Boy.  
The only possible nomination would be Bruce.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 03:19:50 AM »

If Mike wasn't in the band, would he be the most hated gas station attendant in greater Los Angeles area?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 03:46:06 AM »

To be fair, I'm a fan of many, many bands and there's no-one who divides their own fanbase quite like Mike...

What about Roger Waters or Phil Collins? Not the same but both of those guys have detractors who still like the band as a whole
Gohi
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 03:46:44 AM »

The one who had no musical or artistic integrity and continually mistreated and under-appreciated the guy who saved him from pumping gas for the rest of his life.
jamesellaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 04:08:05 AM »

What about Roger Waters or Phil Collins? Not the same but both of those guys have detractors who still like the band as a whole

Must be something about having an amiable, easy-going attitude to life  LOL
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 04:16:02 AM »

The Roger Waters/David Gilmour 'thing' ain't pretty.  THAT kind of animosity doesn't seem to exist with Brian and Mike.  Some perhaps...but THAT much?  Doubtful.  Paul and John weren't exactly best buddies when they parted company either.  [How Do You Sleep?  Lying down with my eyes closed stupid. Wink]

I do believe Mike gets WAY more credit than he's due as a front man.  Nowadays?  OK.  He pretty much has to do it.  But back in the day?  I thought much of what he did was ridiculous...and really extra-specially goofy looking and sounding. [and "goofy" is being extra nice.]  Mike Love just wasn't at all cool.  When Jack moved Mike back off of the front and centre spot and he became more of the band and less of the centre-shot I thought that the Beach Boys were A LOT cooler.  Then came the 15 Bigguns tour and there he was back in the spotlight and...yikes!!!...there they were sounding like dorks again.  Somehow he finally figured out that he VERY MUCH needed to tone himself down.

ALL that said...Brian was the musical ying.  Mike the yang.  Together they came together to make the sound [by spring '63 and the Surfin' USA album] which made the group successful.  Salt and Pepper.  Smooth and rough.  And collectively brilliant.  Without BOTH of them there wouldn't have been the success and especially the staying power.  Mike, in spite of his 'front man' deficiencies, is certainly a KEY ingredient.  He just needs to keep his extracurricular yap glued shut.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 04:49:37 AM »

Haven't we paid enough for Pearl Harbor?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 07:00:56 AM »

I wouldn't hate anybody, Mike Love is a douchbag and deserves the hate.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 07:22:33 AM »

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 07:31:08 AM »

If he wasn't in the band the band might not exist. And that would be a shame.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 08:13:42 AM »

If Mike wasn't in the band, would he be the most hated gas station attendant in greater Los Angeles area?

LOL
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 08:17:14 AM »

You're framing it as if the people who dislike Mike need to hate anybody. As if they enjoy hating SOMEONE, ANYONE and Mike is an easy target so they latch unto him. Really tho, there's many a valid reason to dislike Mike. Thats all there is to it. No matter how much it gets underplayed by most here, no matter how much the "club kokomo" crowd try to muddle the issue, hes done some things that were bad for the band and bad in general which is why he gets hate. Sure, the others have their faults to, but in my perception (and Im hardly alone on this) not to the same degree, and they have redeeming qualities. Mike does too, but it's his general attitude...his constant self-congratulations and always bringing up other people's shortcomings (whether prompted to or not) that really rubs people the wrong way and makes him come off like a complete ass.

I understand why people like him, but is it really so hard to see why people hate him? For my money, Im in the middle...possibly leaning more towards the disapproval side.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 08:25:09 AM »

I have to agree with a previous post that I can't really think of a fanbase that has such strong disdain a member of that very same band, especially one who wasn't just a quickie short-term member or something.

The question becomes, why is this? As with everything else, you can read it both ways. Are fans unreasonably hostile? Or is Mike really that deplorable?

I think it's much more the latter, unfortunately. And I truly mean that; it is unfortunate. Yes, some fans take it to extremes (as some "pro-Mike" fans have done on this forum as well, e.g. Al "putting a hatchet" in the backs of other members, etc.), and some outright false assumptions and "truths" that aren't really "truths" have been trotted out to vilify Mike over the years.

But there's also a TON of, in my opinion, valid reasons why Mike is criticized. I'd say Mike's actions/attitude/vibe came first, and then the fan animosity came after that. The fan animosity wasn't cooked up out of nowhere. Yes, in some cases, the animosity arose from exaggerating the degree to which Mike was responsible (e.g. "Smile"). But time and time again, among some of the fans who have gone out of their way to desperately try to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and give him "another chance", he'll pop up in some interview and come across as a total d**k. And there's only so many times and so many ways it can explained away by the myriad of reasons I've seen ("he just has a really wry sense of humor", or "he's just a straight shooter", etc.) He appears to have a HUGE complex about not getting enough credit. I don't think I've ever seen someone as *obviously successful* and well-off come across as so disenfranchised in interviews. The guy is insanely wealthy, he has FULL control over his touring band, has managed to secure the cash cow that is the license to the BB name, he's the lead singer on NUMEROUS huge hits, he's part of a band that has been #1 on the "best singles of all time" and "best albums of all time" lists, and the list goes on and on. But he still has a bone to pick, often over stuff that nobody else seems to still be stuck on, and in some cases things that were rectified *in his favor* decades ago (the songwriting lawsuit, which he still complains about 20 years after WINNING the suit).

I would say that, on the whole, it is Mike's own actions and attitude that have caused him to be arguably the most vilified person among his band's own fans. The he let the whole C50 thing go down the way it didn't help his case at all.  

As I've said before, I'm personally very wary of someone who will *never* admit they did something wrong, or that they have a fault. Not just mentioning that they participated in something that didn't do well, or regret what *other* people did. I'm talking about saying "I did X one time, and that was wrong, I was wrong."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 08:27:46 AM »

Yoko Ono.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 08:39:43 AM »

When it comes to the things that some fans find objectionable about Mike, I think a good hunk of it is “style” rather than “substance.” Make no mistake, the majority of it is substance. But the “style” is a part of it as well. That is something Mike actually *could* work on. Nobody should completely fake their personality or compromise who they are. But if you continue to be vilified; if people continue to think you’re coming across as a d**k in interviews, then at least a modicum of self-reflection rather than pure defensiveness would help.

If Mike stopped and said, “Hrrrrm. Maybe decades after the death of Dennis and Carl, and after decades of Brian being clean, maybe I should stop CONSTANTLY raising the issue of their drug and alcohol use. Maybe that would be hurtful to the Wilson family, and/or fans will think I’m an a**hole for talking about such personal and sensitive matters, especially when they’ve been discussed to death (literally) in the past, and the Wilsons admitted how problematic drugs and alcohol were and are.”

Touching on what another poster said, I think we should always re-examine how we’re expressing feelings about these guys. But I don’t understand how someone could have any degree of incredulity when it comes to wondering *why* a segment of fans seem to have negative feelings about Mike.

I think some fans, especially the more analytical fans, don’t even “dislike” or “hate” Mike. Rather, they simply aren’t opposed to criticizing him, and may actively do so.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »

...there would be no band.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx