gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 04:51:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: let's talk about brian wilson, phil spector and Baroque pop  (Read 3914 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2006, 10:37:33 AM »

where do they connect?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
SG7
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 10:39:29 AM »

The only group I know that seems to have all of those influnces connected in a cool way is a band called The Shins. I strongly recomend the "Oh Inverted World" album  Grin
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 10:47:48 AM »

thank you

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
SG7
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 10:49:03 AM »

No problem. The album before is a fine example also.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 11:53:18 AM »

the shins

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Superlux
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 04:36:43 PM »

What's baroque pop anyway?

I'd say its; Descending minor melodies on a backdrop of cembalo, pipeorgan and/or strings.

Examples of good music falling into this category

ABBA-One Of Us
                 ABBA-The Day Before You Came
                 BB-Wonderful
                 BB-Surfs Up
                 John Cale-You're A Ghost
                 Shangri Las-Past, Present and Future
                 Roy Wood-My Dear Elaine
                 Cheap Trick-Heaven Tonight
                 Janis Ian-Society's Child

Ahh..
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 05:05:37 PM »

While defining pop music into subgenres sometimes gets out of hand, here's what allmusic says baroque pop is.

"Baroque Pop emerged during the mid-'60s, a time when artists including the Left Banke, the Beach Boys, producer Phil Spector, and composer/arranger Burt Bacharach began infusing rock & roll with elements of classical music, achieving a majestic orchestral sound far removed from rock's wild, primitive origins. Layered harmonies, strings, and horns are all hallmarks of baroque pop, as is the music's dramatic intensity. At the time of its inception, it was rock's most mature outgrowth to date, and its spirit lives on in everything from the Philly soul sound of the early '70s to the like-minded chamber pop sound of the mid-'90s."

As for the Shins, I don't think I'd call them baroque pop. I do love them, though.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 10:36:22 PM »

is Nilsson's 1941 Baroque pop? is there anything else of his that's considered?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 10:40:42 PM »

You cant have this topic, bring up the shins, and not mention elephant 6
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 06:53:13 AM »

can someone tell me what of Brian wilson, phil spector, and burt bacharach is considered baroque pop?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 07:53:34 AM »

Pet Sounds?   Roll Eyes

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 11:26:50 AM »

The Left Banke's "Pretty Ballerina" defines Baroque Pop. There, definition given.

Lot's of interesting musical bits, some more advanced than Pet Sounds (  Shocked it is possible) and some interesting instruments.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 01:08:36 PM »

Phil's Righteous Brothers stuff I would consider baroque pop, as well as some of his Ronettes stuff (Walking in the Rain, Paradise).  Pet Sounds certainly. 
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 06:58:37 PM »

Forever Changes - Love

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 07:22:24 PM »

The Left Banke's "Pretty Ballerina" defines Baroque Pop. There, definition given.

Too bad their catalog is out of print. Only way I can listen to Left Banke songs is on the downloads they have on their official website. I though Rhino or somebody had remastered the catalog, but guess not. Wasn't Andrew Sandoval supposed to have been involved?

http://www.leftbanke.nu/

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 04:49:16 AM »

There is a 1992 PolyGram release called "There's Gonna Be a Storm, The Complete Recordings 1966-1969."  26 tracks. I have it. Found it in a store.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 10:00:13 AM »

Yeah, that was released in 1992 and it's selling on amazon for 87 bucks and up. A little pricey for something that will probably be remastered and sold for 12 bucks in a year or two.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 10:18:24 AM »

I think I bought it for about $10 a year or two ago. It was just sitting there in our local indie record shop. God bless decent record stores.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx