gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:55:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hoax items  (Read 7210 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006, 05:01:10 AM »

RE River Song, there is no tape record of the Beach Boys attempting River Song in the vaults.  There's an early Dennis and Daryl Dragon '71 recording which is apparently quite sparse, but not a Beach Boys recording.  Then there are several live versions the BB did.  So if this boot is indeed a Beach Boys version (are any beach boys other than dennis audible on it?) it's puzzling to me why there is a gap in the documentation...

Josh, I can field this one....

Because it was not dubbed from a multitrack that still exists. 

You see, Denny kept working and re-working RS for years.   It certainly got some time in on it during the Caribou sessions, though it was finally finished for POB.  But at an earlier phase, the same tapes were being dubbed for the unreleased 1975 album.  Denny allowed a friend to take a mono cassette recorder and tape off a copy of work-in-progress that was a pure BB track at that time.  THIS is the version everyone is talking about and I have heard it too.  However, it is gone -- Denny wiped off most of the BB parts and re-recorded lots of stuff using the same tapes for POB, so it's not in the vaults.  But it is a genuine BB recording.

Source:  Brad Elliott on the web.  I think he actually had talked to the person from whom the tape had come.

Yep.  That's the version on the bootleg "California Feeling", first released on LP in '85 with a picture (drawing) of a bikini girl on the front (holding her bikini top, arms crossed across her chest, face not showing...classy).  Anyways, I'm 99% sure that version has no background vocals, just Dennis on a partial lead (no vocal in the bridge).  The backing track is just piano (Dennis), guitar (Carl), bass (probably Ed Carter), and drums (Ricky).  I don't think there's any other instrumentation, unless I just can't remember it.  In the POB version, Carl's guitar is mixed WAY down, but it's still there.  Supposedly this early rough mix is from 1974, which would explain the absence of Blondie on the track (he had sung the live version in '73, but he was gone by '74, which is probably why it's Dennis doing the lead vocal here).  Anyways, the '74 mix is one of those things that is kinda "grey territory"...a Dennis-dominated track with Carl & Ricky that could have become a Beach Boys song (if Dennis, Carl, Mike and Al had done background vocals for it...and maybe they did, and they were wiped, but they're not on the bootleg mix).  I think you CAN hear Carl vocally on the POB version...

The '73 KABC-TV version sounds like a completely different recording, with different piano (electric piano, if I remember right).  It does sound more like the '73 live version (performed at Nassau Coliseum and in Hartford, CT).  The TV spot is mostly an interview about the Boys "today", TM, etc., but at one point they mention the track in-progress as being for a "new album".  Too bad no one seems to have the video!

Craig
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006, 08:16:24 AM »

I remember some years ago either on the newsgroups or on PSML or something...somebody talked about a new bootleg coming out called Brian Is Dumb which "had," as one of its tracks, Brian's demo of "Guess I'm Dumb," among a handful of other attractive sounding titles. After about a week of excited screaming and stuff, the original poster fessed up that he made the whole thing up, and he had some kind of reason for doing that; I don't remember what though...

Oh....and a really, really cruel April Fool's joke: I think it was in 1995 when someone reported that Brian was working on a new album with Van Dyke Parks, Tony Asher, and Andy Paley.

And now that I think about that....eight years later it was actually true. Smiley

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 09:22:42 AM »

Too bad that multitrack is gone...

For the record, the version in my hoax tracklist would have had a Blondie lead vocal, strong bass vocals from Mike, and full backing vocals from Carl, Al, and Brian.  And Moog bass.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006, 09:32:18 AM »

This "River Song" recording is on one of the "Surfin' Rarities" discs.....
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2006, 10:01:20 AM »

Okay we got this straight?? There are the early '70's DW River Song sections in a demo state...including a HUGE preamble or intro section that didn't make it into release. Then there is the live "rehearsal" version from '73 that is the BB's and features a Blondie lead. Then there is the booted studio "mix" which features the crunchy guitar mixed to the fore...this contains at least some of the basic track for the released POB version, but is a curious early mix done by Ed Roach for fun. "hey Dennis let me take a crack at mixing that." Ed told me Dennis hated it.  And then finally the released version on POB. These are all the River Song bits I have heard. Any more?? Oh yeah, there might be a rehearsal version for DW's aborted tour...haven't heard that one.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2006, 10:05:41 AM »

There definately are backing vocals on that '74 mix of "River Song"... the opening "Walkin' down by the river..." part.  It's missing the vocal tag, though: "you've got to do it, do it, do it..."  Definately one of the coolest alternate mixes in the BB boot world.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2006, 10:09:33 AM »

Okay we got this straight?? There are the early '70's DW River Song sections in a demo state...including a HUGE preamble or intro section that didn't make it into release. Then there is the live "rehearsal" version from '73 that is the BB's and features a Blondie lead. Then there is the booted studio "mix" which features the crunchy guitar mixed to the fore...this contains at least some of the basic track for the released POB version, but is a curious early mix done by Ed Roach for fun. "hey Dennis let me take a crack at mixing that." Ed told me Dennis hated it.  And then finally the released version on POB. These are all the River Song bits I have heard. Any more?? Oh yeah, there might be a rehearsal version for DW's aborted tour...haven't heard that one.

Jon, you forgot the live version from Hartford '73, which is not the same as the rehearsal from that year.

Am I reading this correctly.. that booted '74 studio version was mixed by Ed Roach?

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2006, 10:10:25 AM »

I thought the same thing (I have the same boot)...

This one guy (let's call him "Troy") once told me had a boot featuring...get this...

1. Til I Die- featuring strings
2. Cuddle Up - Brian lead
3. You Need a Mess of Help...- Piano Demo
4. We Got Love- Binaural Mix
5. Santa Ana Winds (Live)

I don't remember the rest, but they were equally dubious. "Troy" wanted $100 for this. Ha. I didn't even *know* this guy.

Santa Ana Winds was performed live for the first time at the Knebworth gig in June 1980 but, as a first performance   -  someone had to dash off-stage to get lyric sheets if I recall correctly - it was probably deemed not of high enough quality for the official CD release. It's probably on the Stone Age boot of the gig which I have but not in front of me so I can't check right now.  But it's out there! And folk might well be willing to trade for it you never can tell!   Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2006, 10:13:17 AM »

Jon, you forgot the live version from Hartford '73, which is not the same as the rehearsal from that year.

Am I reading this correctly.. that booted '74 studio version was mixed by Ed Roach?

Dunno about "mixed", but when I had said "friend" before, I THOUGHT it was Roach -- just didn't want to say that since I wasn't 100% sure I was remembering correctly.  So Roach is definitely the one who taped it.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2006, 10:23:45 AM »

I always seem to blur the rehearsal and the Hartford versions...I guess its Blondie's vocal. And yes that primitive studio mix is courtesy of Eddie. Hope he doesn't mind me letting that one out of the bag...he was pretty free with that info when he told me about it back in '98...I'm sure he's told others the same thing. I specifically remember him saying Dennis thought it sounded bad.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2006, 10:35:01 AM »

Jon, Brad Elliott posted about it on Usenet years ago, which is as public as you can get.  I just didn't remember the name off the top of my head for sure.  I doubt you need fear breaking confidences...
MBE
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2006, 03:28:09 PM »

I like Ed's mix because Dennis sounds so good on it. He still has his young voice.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2006, 04:44:26 PM »

I just thought of another version of River Song...the version, or mix, that accompanies Ed's promo film for River Song. It has the guitar out front like the booted version, it's missing some of the lead vocal, but has the choir on it. As most of you know the film shows DW and friends recording the choir. I think we're up to six and perhaps seven versions of RS now. Wow...can't think of another Dennis song with close to that many.
MBE
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2006, 04:01:57 AM »

Forever has a lot of versions floating around
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx