gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:19:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hoax items  (Read 7252 times)
MBE
« on: June 22, 2006, 07:00:45 AM »

Ok I am sure we have all come across people we trade items with who have made up things in their collection that don't exist. I don't know why some folks think they fool anybody, but I wondered if we could share some stories. I remember one guy telling me he had a video of the 1975 Back Home session (where Brian looked "Fat but happy", and a 1970 Add Some Music promo clip that included Brian.  I knew he was lying but wouldn;t those be great!
XY
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 08:01:11 AM »

Not sure if he was joking. Ed Roach did a 15 Big Ones documentary, maybe he filmed a "Back Home" session? And no, it has nothing to do with the "It's OK" TV-Special.
A promo from 1970 or 71 with Brian exists, but I'm not sure if they played "Add Some Music" or "This Whole World".
Man, I would love to see all that stuff!
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 08:27:15 AM »

Sometimes you've got to have an open mind about these things. I mean, if someone had told me 5 years ago about the "Get The Boot" bootleg and somes of the tracks on it I wouldn't have believed them and until I saw it on YouTube, I never knew a promo for "Don't Go Near The Water" existed. Someone, somewhere will have loads of footage and tracks ready to be booted.

The one hoax that did disgruntle me recently though is the "California Nights" bootleg rumour... Sad

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 09:00:38 AM »

Can anyone post those two videos on youtube?
Rockard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 10:15:47 AM »

yeh!! please anyone!  Afro 3D Afro
just post em and ill give yer a jar of rum!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 10:22:33 AM »

There is a short promo clip for an airline from 1970 that features the BB's(including Brian) singing a Sunflower track around a piano, Bruce is in front doing the commercial narrative...it lasts for about five seconds...your friend wasn't lying. Another great one is the BB's in '68 at the Maharishi Tour press conference singing an acapella version of the opening few lines of Friends...they nail it.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 10:35:15 AM »

There was also one guy awhile back who claimed to have audio of Dennis playing songs in his trailer on the set of "Two Lane Blacktop", along with several discs worth of "POB" and "Bamboo" outtakes.

Craig
SG7
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 10:38:19 AM »

Someone told me once they had a piano demo of Summer Means New Love. Yes there is one, but its a cover on piano, not a demo!  Roll Eyes

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 11:23:27 AM »

The problem is, like Agent Mulder, we all "want to believe".  It's a strange line between gullibility and scepticism that is also very blurry.

Plus, even if you're not malicious, it's kind of fun to make up "hoax" bootlegs or something, as an exercise in fantasy, you know?  All you do is do some wordplay on a Beach Boys related thing and then list things you want to hear.  For instance:

"All That is This" (2006, Tea of Sunes)
1.  Wouldn't it be Nice (L discrete track only)
2.  Wouldn't it be Nice (C discrete track only)
3.  Wouldn't it be Nice (R discrete track only)
4.  Do You Like Worms (A Capella w/verse lead vocal)
5.  Wonderful (Smiley Stereo remix)
6.  Little Girl I Once Knew (stereo remix)
7.  Good Vibrations (Stereo A Capella mix)
8.  Slip on Through (A Capella)
9.  Slip On Through (track)
10.  Add Some Music (track)
11.  All I Wanna Do (A Capella)
12.  Don't go Near the Water (A capella)
13.  Til I Die (A Capella)
14.  California Saga (track only)
15.  River Song (Beach Boys studio version)
16.  It's OK (vocals)
17.  Johnny Carson (A capella)
18.  Johnny Carson (track)
19.  Getcha Back (a capella)
20.  Where I Belong (A capella)

See, that was fun.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 11:46:32 AM »

yeah, no kidding...i feel like i have one of those items..the BB version of River Song? maybe i dont...pretty sure i do though

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 11:48:06 AM »

No such thing as a Beach Boys studio River Song.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 11:54:17 AM »

Thats because you dont have it...its under my mattress at the moment.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 07:19:07 PM »

Someone was selling some termite infested bed on ebay that they claimed was purchased from Mrs. Wilson in the 70's.
MBE
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 09:22:05 PM »

No the guy was a fraud we are talking 12-15 years ago. He wasn't talking about the commercial, he said it was a music video (not a TV show) for Add Some Music and the Back Home Session in 1975 nothing from 15 Big Ones proper.  He ripped me and a lot of people off with Elvis and The Beach Boys alike. Let's see he told me he had Elvis singing Candy Kisses on Loving You. Just someone who lies to make themselves look good.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 01:48:59 AM by MBE » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 10:33:12 PM »

no, honestly, i i'm pretty sure i have it...it's on the Brian is Back (he loves you) boot...it's from 73 maybe? i dont know, maybe i'm a load of crap...doesnt it have denny say "I was born to see the city lights" before it starts...

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 10:58:30 PM »

I thought the same thing (I have the same boot)...

This one guy (let's call him "Troy") once told me had a boot featuring...get this...

1. Til I Die- featuring strings
2. Cuddle Up - Brian lead
3. You Need a Mess of Help...- Piano Demo
4. We Got Love- Binaural Mix
5. Santa Ana Winds (Live)

I don't remember the rest, but they were equally dubious. "Troy" wanted $100 for this. Ha. I didn't even *know* this guy.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 11:13:39 PM »

no, honestly, i i'm pretty sure i have it...it's on the Brian is Back (he loves you) boot...it's from 73 maybe? i dont know, maybe i'm a load of crap...doesnt it have denny say "I was born to see the city lights" before it starts...
River Song has been going around since it appeared on the LP California Feeling circa 1987. So I know that is real
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 11:42:52 PM »

Did you get the pm reply?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2006, 12:07:59 AM »

RE River Song, there is no tape record of the Beach Boys attempting River Song in the vaults.  There's an early Dennis and Daryl Dragon '71 recording which is apparently quite sparse, but not a Beach Boys recording.  Then there are several live versions the BB did.  So if this boot is indeed a Beach Boys version (are any beach boys other than dennis audible on it?) it's puzzling to me why there is a gap in the documentation...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 12:38:56 AM »

Ricky Fataar, and I think Carl too.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 12:47:02 AM »

Well, Rickey and Carl are on the POB version too.
MBE
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2006, 01:17:07 AM »

I think its from 73.  Dennis is teaching it to the melody to someone as the track starts. It sound like a full group version. The piano thing with Dragon is going around but it doesn't have words yet.  There is a posibility that the music track from this version was incorperated into the final 1977 cut. My theory is that this was a rehearsal for the live version but Dennis may have meant it for an album. A T.V. station apparently taped  them doing the song around this time but it cannot be proven that this is the same thing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 01:55:19 AM »

A T.V. station apparently taped  them doing the song around this time but it cannot be proven that this is the same thing.

KABC-TV, 1973 - apparently the clip shows the band rehearsing "River Song", I'm betting for a live show and not a studio track. I've got the audio in the vaults somewhere.

One of the good points about being the complete info geeks we are is that, unless you really know your stuff re: the BB, any hoax will be rapidly unmasked.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 01:59:10 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 01:59:59 AM »

Someone was selling some termite infested bed on ebay that they claimed was purchased from Mrs. Wilson in the 70's.

It was from Mrs. Wilson.

Mrs. Audree Wilson.  Cool

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2006, 04:37:40 AM »

RE River Song, there is no tape record of the Beach Boys attempting River Song in the vaults.  There's an early Dennis and Daryl Dragon '71 recording which is apparently quite sparse, but not a Beach Boys recording.  Then there are several live versions the BB did.  So if this boot is indeed a Beach Boys version (are any beach boys other than dennis audible on it?) it's puzzling to me why there is a gap in the documentation...

Josh, I can field this one....

Because it was not dubbed from a multitrack that still exists. 

You see, Denny kept working and re-working RS for years.   It certainly got some time in on it during the Caribou sessions, though it was finally finished for POB.  But at an earlier phase, the same tapes were being dubbed for the unreleased 1975 album.  Denny allowed a friend to take a mono cassette recorder and tape off a copy of work-in-progress that was a pure BB track at that time.  THIS is the version everyone is talking about and I have heard it too.  However, it is gone -- Denny wiped off most of the BB parts and re-recorded lots of stuff using the same tapes for POB, so it's not in the vaults.  But it is a genuine BB recording.

Source:  Brad Elliott on the web.  I think he actually had talked to the person from whom the tape had come.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx