gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:02:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Brian Wilson late 70s voice appreciation thread  (Read 3730 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2006, 02:55:40 AM »

I only ever read bad comments on Brians late 70s voice, but I find it full of character and emotion as much as before. I know its not like the 60s voice but who cares. I think his speaking voice is really cool at this tme too, here's a few favourites of mine from this period.
Lines
Marilyn Rovell
You've Lost that lovin' feelin'
Lazy Lizzie
Solar System
Sherry she needs me
Shes got rhythm
Matchpoint of our love
That special feeling
Ruby Baby

Brians singing is unique from this period raw, manly, Sinatra-influenced and his falsettos are good at this point too. I hope someone will agree with me here!...

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 07:38:39 AM »

I guess I am the only one then!

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 07:43:58 AM »

not really!

I'd like to add "Still I Dream Of It" to this list...She's Got Rhythm is not my favorite though.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 07:54:18 AM »

Oh yeah good one, plus - That Same song and Winter Symphony

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 09:00:31 AM »

i love all this stuff...but nothin beats brian's young voice on mid 70s stuff like Don't ya Just Know it

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 10:27:41 AM »

Hey, I dig this era too...love Bri's voice on "15 Big Ones", "Love You", and outtakes like
"Sherri She Needs Me" and "Lazy Lizzie".  Groovy!  Yeah, not as good as the sixties through
early seventies, but cool in their own way!

Craig
aNonbeliever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 11:21:49 AM »

That's how I've looked at it, like it's a different person singing. I actually really like his voice on "That Same Song." But it's still kind of painful to put his 70s output next to Pet Sounds and think ... that's the same guy!
MBE
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 03:31:10 PM »

Some of these vocals are decent but I feel it depends more on the song by that point.
I really like  You've Lost that lovin' feelin, Lazy Lizzie Sherry She needs me, and most of MIU and Adult Child. I really dislike (not counting Night Was So Young and I'll Bet He's Nice) Side 2 of Love You
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 12:22:09 PM »

i'm a fan....briefly, i got 15BO, miu & love you all at the same time on vinyl at a record convention...'93
i really think his vox run the gamut on these 3 lp's. emotional and wracked. just like me!!!!
gotta love it, like aunt esther use ta say....by the way, these lp's really do sound
better wth a can of Rootbeer and a bag o' chips. LoveU sounds like 70's saturday mornin television!!!

Can get a reply on this?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 01:37:19 PM »

I think the only listeners who can enjoy Brian's (and to some extent, Dennis') late 70's vocals are people who are familiar with AND SENSITIVE TO his problems. Others who don't know or simply don't care will be turned off.
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 01:41:57 PM »

i'm a fan....briefly, i got 15BO, miu & love you all at the same time on vinyl at a record convention...'93
i really think his vox run the gamut on these 3 lp's. emotional and wracked. just like me!!!!
gotta love it, like aunt esther use ta say....by the way, these lp's really do sound
better wth a can of Rootbeer and a bag o' chips. LoveU sounds like 70's saturday mornin television!!!

Can get a reply on this?
watch it, sucka!!!
MBE
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 09:29:06 PM »

I think the only listeners who can enjoy Brian's (and to some extent, Dennis') late 70's vocals are people who are familiar with AND SENSITIVE TO his problems. Others who don't know or simply don't care will be turned off.
Agreed!!!  If Mike Love had masterminded Love You and not Brian it would be ripped to shreads. Though I think his voice went downhill too, if it would have incurred the damage of Dennis' or Brian's I again think he would have been torn apart.

Not counting the 81-3 era Dennis later voice worked for me. I mean I love his pre 75 voice a lot more but I think he adjusted to it better then Brian. That said his singing on Love You is far inferior to what he was doing on his own.
aNonbeliever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 10:57:41 PM »

Perhaps ... knowing what was going on in Brian's life at the time encouraged me to give Love You more than a cursory listen, and it then began to grow on me.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 11:00:49 PM »

Not always.  I know several of my friends who I actually turned on to the BB by Love You...even Brian's vocals.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 11:12:08 PM »

I think it boils down to a matter of taste. No one is right or wrong here.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx