gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:41:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Star- How the heck did I miss out on them?  (Read 24268 times)
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2014, 05:20:58 AM »

The semi-recent documentary is worth a watch, too. I'm sure it's mentioned in this thread and I could obviously google the title for you, but, well, there you have it. My uselessness...

(It is worthwhile though.)

Nothing Can Hurt Me. That's what got me into them; I'd tried them before and didn't get it, and then I watched it on Netflix, and they blew me away.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2014, 04:58:00 AM »

Any views on the In Space album? Pretty enjoyable album with enough big star heritage intact to make it legit for me.

I love that album but I think I'm in a minority. The opener "Dony" is my fav, nice mix of covers and originals with that homage to WIBN at the start of "Turn my back on the sun"

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2014, 04:58:54 AM »

Big Star - BIG FAN! w00t!

That reminds me, there was a new Chilton book released recently. Still haven't gotten around to getting that.. Anyone read it?

Its superb! Get it...

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2014, 01:12:49 PM »

As others in this thread (going back years) have stated, Chris Bell was probably more of the reason that people like Big Star than, say, Alex Chilton. I think sometimes Chris doesn't get a fair shake in the Big Star story, because people like to focus on Alex. If you watch the documentary, though, you'll see that people say that Chris was the reason for that 'Sound' on the first 2. I love Third, and some of Alex's solo stuff, but when talking about that Big Star 'Sound', that's Chris. More people need to get into him.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2014, 07:44:49 PM »

As others in this thread (going back years) have stated, Chris Bell was probably more of the reason that people like Big Star than, say, Alex Chilton. I think sometimes Chris doesn't get a fair shake in the Big Star story, because people like to focus on Alex. If you watch the documentary, though, you'll see that people say that Chris was the reason for that 'Sound' on the first 2. I love Third, and some of Alex's solo stuff, but when talking about that Big Star 'Sound', that's Chris. More people need to get into him.

I understand advocating for Chris Bell but you cannot dismiss Alex Chilton in the process.  To me it was an (all too brief) Lennon/McCartney thing.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2014, 10:46:06 PM »

Alex wrote all the best songs on those first 2 albums IMO - thirteen, goodo, sept gurls, back of a car, in the street though obviously the Chris songs were very good too.

The production is mainly Chris on the 1st album but Id say by the 2nd when he left, it became a bit more raw due to the live feel of the band recordings and less painstaking overdubs.

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2014, 11:14:12 AM »

I understand advocating for Chris Bell but you cannot dismiss Alex Chilton in the process.  To me it was an (all too brief) Lennon/McCartney thing.

I'm not so much dismissing Alex Chilton as I'm saying that he shouldn't be regarded any higher than Chris on those first 2 albums.  I like Alex's work a lot, I love Third, and dig a bunch of his solo stuff. I'm saying that when I read an article that talks about how Big Star was HIS band, I stop reading. It's nothing personal against him, it isn't like he went out of his way to get the attention, it's just the way that the media sort of focused on him because of The Box Tops thing.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2014, 11:39:51 AM »

Alex wrote all the best songs on those first 2 albums IMO - thirteen, goodo, sept gurls, back of a car

"Back Of A Car" was, despite the writing credits on the sleeve, principally (maybe even wholly) written by Chris Bell.  Numerous sources agree on this, not least Andy Hummel.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2014, 05:29:50 AM »

Alex wrote all the best songs on those first 2 albums IMO - thirteen, goodo, sept gurls, back of a car

"Back Of A Car" was, despite the writing credits on the sleeve, principally (maybe even wholly) written by Chris Bell.  Numerous sources agree on this, not least Andy Hummel.

yep, sorry, yer right. think it was one of the 4 songs they began the radio city sessions with.

On another note, I'm really excited to see this - http://www.thesugarclub.com/listings/event/big-star-live-in-memphis - hope it gets a proper release!

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2014, 11:20:13 PM »

Back in 1990,  I worked in a record/cd shop. The owner found out I was a Badfinger fan and said "if you like them, you should listen to Big Star", so I put one of their cd's on, one a quiet Sunday afternoon. Didn't do anything for me. Love Stealers Wheel, though.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2014, 06:16:34 AM »

Check this out!!! http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/two-remastered-big-star-records-will-be-back-in-print-this-fall-20140729
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2014, 07:40:21 AM »

HOLY MOTHER OF ******! YES!!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:41:13 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2014, 10:48:17 AM »

i have never listened to Big Star besides this one time i thought they just sounded like typical 70s rock

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2014, 10:58:27 AM »

i have never listened to Big Star besides this one time i thought they just sounded like typical 70s rock

Gabo, if you don't love this, I don't love you.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2014, 11:10:24 AM »

I don't know what it is, but you're doing something wrong. Undecided
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2014, 12:48:15 PM »

I get it. I was that way the first couple of times I listened. If you can, watch the Documentary, and I'm pretty sure it will change your mind.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2014, 02:14:11 PM »

one of my favorite TV show theme songs is the one from That 70s Show. Thank you Big Star and Cheap Trick  Listening Rock!

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2014, 02:23:43 PM »

one of my favorite TV show theme songs is the one from That 70s Show. Thank you Big Star and Cheap Trick  Listening Rock!

Cheap Trick totally slaughtered the song.
Oh, well, apparently Alex made $70 every time the show aired.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2014, 02:39:30 PM »

Cheap Trick totally slaughtered the song.
Oh, well, apparently Alex made $70 every time the show aired.

what do you think of the first season's version? same? and yea at least Alex got paid  Smiley.

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2014, 02:43:20 PM »

Well, they are, which isn't insult or praise.  Wonderful band, unfortunately shackled to unnecessary cultural baggage like so many other great and misunderstood bands (this is a Beach Boys site, right?).  What most fans respond to with Big Star is their story.  Listen without thinking about their legacy, reputation, and all that nonsense and you may find more to like.  You'll certainly be closer to the truth of the music.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx