gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Big Star- How the heck did I miss out on them?  (Read 23379 times)
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2006, 08:54:43 AM »

OK... I'd seen extended thread on the last board and didn't bother to read into it. Knew about Chilton & The Box Tops years ago. Was at a friend's party on NYE and he was blasting the 2-fer of the first 2 LP's. Amazing shite. How can one NOT be hip to them. I ordered one off amazon the minute I got home from his party- hope it hits my doorstep in the next day or so.
Full review forthcoming!
dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 09:41:54 AM »

I know I'm going to be beaten up badly for saying this, but I can live without the Third Album (Sister/Lovers, whatever). That's because I don't enjoy Casualty Damage Rock as a genre (Skip Spence, Syd Solo, Later Roky, Brian Wi- no, scratch that). But those first two albums (I have them on vinyl - smirk - gorgeous covers!) are the dog's bollocks.

AUTOCLAVING TURNS THIS LINE BROWN
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 09:53:21 AM »

I'm a casual fan of the three albums and the Chris Bell solo album, too.

Watch out for snakes!
trumpet sounds
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 10:29:25 AM »

Cool, another Big Star fan!

Don't let everyone scare you away from Third/Sister Lovers, give it a try. It takes the weirder stuff on Radio City and carries it a step or two or three forward. (Just don't listen if you are having suicidal thoughts). There is some great pop to be gleamed from Third: Kizza Me, Thank You Friends, Jesus Christ, O, Dana, Stroke It Noel, For You, Nightime, Take Care...a great cover of Femme Fatale...

No journey into Big Star land is complete without the following:

Big Star Live - A radio broadcast where Chilton does a acoustic set featuring:  The Ballad Of El Goodo, Thirteen, I'm In Love With a Girl, Motel Blues 

I Am the Cosmos - A collection of demos, singles from Chris Bell after he left Big Star.
Chris D.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 10:43:54 AM »

How can one NOT be hip to them.

Well, you are the same f*** that hates Love You, no?  Smiley
Jason
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 10:48:52 AM »

Well, you are the same foda that hates Love You, no?  Smiley

BURN!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 01:08:06 PM »

Haha, it's never too late, Monkee. And DO NOT skip Third, it just may be their best.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Domo Arigato
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 03:10:48 PM »

I'm sure everybody who cares has already seen this, but just in case you missed it...

http://jefitoblog.com/blog/?p=567
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 03:37:52 PM »

I love Third, and that's the first Big Star album I bought and listened to, but I was disappointed when I heard the first two albums on the twofer. I just can't get into the songs on the first two albums.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
jdavolt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 03:43:56 PM »

Well, I had the first two first, and have been listening to them incessantly. Meanwhile, I've given the Third a couple spins and just haven't been able to warm up to it...yet!

I will sue this blog and the owner
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 04:28:54 PM »

Well, you are the same foda that hates Love You, no?  Smiley
(apply Eastern Indian accent) Hate iz a vedy strong verd my friend.
But in verds, you do speak wut one might call a relative truth.
And so it iz written.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 05:10:10 PM »

I think the three actual Big Star albums (actually, I'm not sure Third/Sister Lovers even counts, does it? Kind of posthumous for the band, after all...) are fantastic. I also like some of Chris Bells' I Am the Cosmos.

Anyone who knows my tastes can probably guess that Third/Sister Lovers is my favorite, and it is by far, actually. Beautiful and haunting.

I strongly recommend against buying the new Big Star album, though--just came out a few months ago. I give it one big eh. It isn't absolutely awful, but for me it just isn't Big Star at all. (People say the same about Smiley Smile and the Beach Boys and get lectured, so I'll drop it there!  Wink)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Chris D.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 10:09:56 PM »

Either way Knutz you're on the money here.  But I gotta see you shine the Love You shoe.
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 11:31:49 PM »

I've had the two-fer for years and didn't see what the fuss was about. Then I finally bought Third/Sisters lovers and suddenly it clicked.
Now I love them all.

James Kemp
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 01:23:21 AM »

I love the entire output (I started with the twofer about a decade ago), but Third is one of my all time favorite albums - despairing, fragile beauty doesn't come any better.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 04:41:33 AM »

I'm a "first two albums and not so much third" fan. That's 'cos I like Chris Bell a hell of a lot -- I loves me some Chilton, but the first album just SHINES becuase of Chris Bell. Its a heavy-hitter, that one, and the 2nd one too -- "Mod Lang," "Back of My Car," "September Gurls" -- how can one NOT get into the songs from that album?
Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 06:11:17 AM »

I love 'em all, and I'd rank them, in terms of preference, in the order they came out. My faves are probably "The Ballad Of El Goodo," "Thirteen," and "I'm In Love With A Girl." Haven't checked out the new one yet.

Crowcries, thank you for that link!!!!
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 06:20:47 AM »

I'm In Love With a Girl is really nice.

Watch out for snakes!
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 07:58:36 AM »

Long ago, I knew that Chilton wrote September Gurls (Bangles fan, ya know), but had no idea about Big Star. Why the lack of press/critical acclaim for these guys?
Chris D.
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 09:21:06 AM »

Long ago, I knew that Chilton wrote September Gurls (Bangles fan, ya know), but had no idea about Big Star. Why the lack of press/critical acclaim for these guys?

You mean now or then?  Now I find them pretty inescapable.  Then, I guess it was an issue of poor distribution.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 09:42:52 AM »

Probably out of step with the times, too.

Watch out for snakes!
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 01:05:31 PM »

You mean now or then?  Now I find them pretty inescapable.  Then, I guess it was an issue of poor distribution.
Both!!
85% of my friends are music fans or musicians and I never heard any of them mention Big Star. Some have spoke of Chilton and/or the Boxtops, but BS never came up in conversation. Other sorts of BS, however!
I mean, I'm pretty saavy when it comes to pre 80's rock & roll and even know of the more absolute obscure crap, but I'd never heard of them until the recent Smiley thread, that has now vanished. More over, I'd never seen any of their LP's at shops or record shows. Never seen any of the 45's and I always scour the 45 bins.
On a sad note- Amazon cancelled my order for the 2-fer- damn them. I need to reorder. SHITE!

How did y'all find out about Big Star?
Chris D.
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 01:14:26 PM »

How did y'all find out about Big Star?

That 70s Show, 8th or 9th grade.  Then I got the first two albums.  A few years later I got the third one.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 01:15:39 PM »

Shoot, now I don't remember! I think I found out about them from allmusic, actually. When I went to buy the twofer, the local store actually had it!

Watch out for snakes!
Chris D.
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006, 01:17:56 PM »

Shoot, now I don't remember! I think I found out about them from allmusic, actually. When I went to buy the twofer, the local store actually had it!

Yeah, Best Buy usually has it too.  Or at least used to.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx