gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:45:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Back Of My Mind/Somewhere Over The Rainbow  (Read 4490 times)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2015, 03:17:36 PM »

On another thread there is discussion about the amount of leads Dennis had.  ITBOMM obviously came up and some people don't like it, fair enough.

I do though.  To me it always had the same type of 'feel' as Somewhere Over the Rainbow and Wonderful World.  Those songs are up there with my favourites of all time.  Not for the perfection (ala God Only Knows) but more to do with the innocence and simplicity of them. ITBOMY  is not technically the most perfect vocal, but the delivery seems to fit with the mood And vulnerability Brian was going for and Dennis, to my mind, delivered!

Does anyone else feel the same way?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:10:15 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:44:11 PM »

One of my absolute favorites too. It does have a melancholic, nostalgic feel like the other tracks you cited, but also gets a little more adventurous in the bridge and outro.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:23:38 AM »

Melancholic and nostalgic are the words I was looking for!  You are right, ITBOMM is more adventurous.  Brian was good at taking an influence and then improving on it and adding his own unique twist, even when doing a cover version. Maybe he did this regarding Somewhere Over The Rainbow?  I'd be interested to know if he ever mentioned that song.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:10:51 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:40:19 AM »

Dennis sings it wonderfully -- but ITBOMM is just not my style of music. Today is one of my favorite BB albums, but I always skip that song.

Maybe someone could give ITBOMM the stripped-back voice and ukulele treatment like "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" has been given in recent years.  Smiley

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:43:07 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 10:51:53 AM »

Maybe someone could give ITBOMM the stripped-back voice and ukulele treatment like "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" has been given in recent years.  Smiley

Or maybe a solo piano performance?  Grin

What Brian's '75 recording shows imo is what a great composition this songs is, even with the new parts in the '75 version. In short: this song sounds and feels like a Jazz standard. I wish more people outside the BBs universe would know about it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:29:55 AM »

I just can't understand any dislike for this song. it would have to be in my top 10 or so. it's jazz standard quality, and on par with anything on Pet Sounds. sure Dennis' double-tracked vocal is a little off in spots, but it's hardly the only BBs song with sloppy double-tracking. the passion of his vocal more than makes up for it. the pizzicato bridge is brilliant and the swirling strings and horns at the end are mesmerizing and a glimpse into the back of Brian's mind.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:36:15 AM by bossaroo » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:49:31 AM »

Any dislike I had for the song stemmed from the fact I first heard it in Duophonic, which meant an already busy recording (Dennis's multi-tracked vocals, the heavy orchestral backing) sounded messy. I liked the mono version more, but I like the single-tracked vocal on the stereo version best.
SBonilla
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 12:08:55 PM »

I thought it was corny when it came out (I was 11 at the time). Not fond of the lyrics, the melody or harmonic progression. It sounds like below middling Paul Anka.
The production is very good and the ending is fantastic. I do like the vocal; it has some nice emotional oomph at the end.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 12:15:51 PM »

I thought it was corny when it came out (I was 11 at the time). Not fond of the lyrics, the melody or harmonic progression. It sounds like below middling Paul Anka.
The production is very good and the ending is fantastic. I do like the vocal; it has some nice emotional oomph at the end.

I can understand why some fans may have found it 'corny' at the time.  The jazzy feel made it unlike most other things they had done up until that point.  Sometimes I even think it's distant from the rest of the album but I still love it as a charming little song (and one of my fav's).
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 12:22:18 PM »

Not fond of the lyrics,

I think the lyrics are great. Some of Mike's best (although I have a feeling that Brian wrote many of them as well)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SBonilla
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 12:45:37 PM »

Not fond of the lyrics,

I think the lyrics are great. Some of Mike's best (although I have a feeling that Brian wrote many of them as well)
But, to a kid, it sounded like it was coming from a house on a cul-de-sac in Squaresville. It sounded like someone leading a quiet, simple, settled down life.

I'm not sympathetic this guy. He has such a feeling of dread that he is going to be ditched by his gf/wife. The lyrics paint a portrait of an insecure, almost paranoid, person. There is too much irrational emotion in the song for my taste.  The song gives no clue as to why the guy has this big dark fear.
It's unsettling. A downer. Not a great way to close out a Side 2.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 12:49:23 PM »

Not fond of the lyrics,

But, to a kid, it sounded like it was coming from a house on a cul-de-sac in Squaresville. It sounded like someone leading a quiet, simple, settled down life.

I'm not sympathetic this guy. He has such a feeling of dread that he is going to be ditched by his gf/wife. The lyrics paint a portrait of an insecure, almost paranoid, person. There is too much irrational emotion in the song for my taste.  The song gives no clue as to why the guy has this big dark fear.
It's unsettling. A downer. Not a great way to close out a Side 2.

That's the thing it has that paranoia and yet the mood of the song and the vocal seems upbeat and 'happy'.  The contradiction is perfectly summed up by the way the song goes off to a whole other place. Pretty clever production.
SBonilla
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 12:55:00 PM »

I can understand why some fans may have found it 'corny' at the time.  The jazzy feel made it unlike most other things they had done up until that point.  Sometimes I even think it's distant from the rest of the album but I still love it as a charming little song (and one of my fav's).
I didn't hear 'jazzy.' Still don't. And I had heard music like that; it sounded old fashioned. The arrangement could have served Perry Como, Eydie Gorme, Matt Monro or any number of popular vocalists of the early 60's. Musically, the only interesting section is the end/fade where you the music 'descends' then gets that swirling action going on.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:57:02 PM by Olmec Donald » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 01:07:43 PM »

in your opinion. i consider the bridge one the most interesting in the catalog, both for the instrumentation and the syncopation of the vocal.

the song expresses insecurity, something Brian obviously felt and felt the need to write about more than once. if you can't identify with insecurity or paranoia, lucky you. but why do you need to sympathize with a song's narrator or sentiment to appreciate and enjoy it?

the fact that Brian was writing music this sophisticated and "old fashioned" at the age of 22, alongside popular hits like Help Me Rhonda and Dance, Dance, Dance speaks volumes.
SBonilla
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 01:36:23 PM »

the fact that Brian was writing music this sophisticated and "old fashioned" at the age of 22, alongside popular hits like Help Me Rhonda and Dance, Dance, Dance speaks volumes.
yes, 22 is a good age to be brilliant (see: Marcos Valle)
What really impresses me about Brian, with regard to the Today album, is how he re-worked the chorus to Don't Hurt My Little Sister, combined it the melody and bg vocal dymanic of I'm Into Something Good and came up with the chorus to California Girls.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 03:30:49 PM »

in your opinion. i consider the bridge one the most interesting in the catalog, both for the instrumentation and the syncopation of the vocal.

the song expresses insecurity, something Brian obviously felt and felt the need to write about more than once. if you can't identify with insecurity or paranoia, lucky you. but why do you need to sympathize with a song's narrator or sentiment to appreciate and enjoy it?

That made him what he is.  He wasn't afraid to ty new sounds and different directions. He pushed the boundaries time and time again in a good way and sometimes his 'squareness' when it came to his musical tastes and influences actually helped make him 'hip'.

I remember him describing the Four Freshman as having really modern harmonies but not a lot of young guys would be listening to them.  They would be more into Elvis and Chuck Berry et al.  I think Brian and Mike's family get togethers and singalongs exposed them to a lot of 'old fashioned' music.
SBonilla
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 04:11:28 PM »

That made him what he is.  He wasn't afraid to ty new sounds and different directions. He pushed the boundaries time and time again in a good way and sometimes his 'squareness' when it came to his musical tastes and influences actually helped make him 'hip'.

I remember him describing the Four Freshman as having really modern harmonies but not a lot of young guys would be listening to them.  They would be more into Elvis and Chuck Berry et al.  I think Brian and Mike's family get togethers and singalongs exposed them to a lot of 'old fashioned' music.
One, thing. The Four Freshman weren't square, harmonically. In the beginning they were a jazz vocal group. They came out of the Stan Kenton school. The Kenton band spawned a whole slew of talented and innovative composers and arrangers who would majorly influence not only the jazz and big band world, but also the area film, television and radio and in turn, American pop music.
Old fashioned would have been what we might call the more sentimental artists like Fred Waring, Mitch Miller, McGuire Sisters, Guy Lombardo, Vaughan Monroe.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 04:44:25 PM »

ITBOMM and Cuddle Up seem to be songs that are in the same vein, two songs that have style that some people like or they don't, that classical style that isn't really melodic but more dissonant which makes them seem like a mass of sound to some people while others don't mind that mass of sound. It's very common in the classical world where a composer will come out of nowhere with a musical piece that sounds muffled and confusing and sounds like "Noise" to people who do not understand that specific style.if anything I think that these  songs shows how Brian and Dennis are Genius'.. outside of just Pet Sounds and GV.. other songs that seems to fit that vein are "When Girls Get together" (Especially the instrumental without that weird drum sound) and "Be with me". if these songs had NO lyrics or singing and were just instrumentals I can see people comparing them to some of the classical artists of the past..
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:46:06 PM by joshferrell » Logged
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 06:43:17 PM »

In The Back of My Mind *is* jazzy, featuring some of the jazziest chord progressions in the Beach Boys catalog.  You can really hear the presence of the jazz chords much better in Brian's piano playing on the 1975 "demo".

Truth be told, the mono mix covers up a tremendous amount of what is really going on here.  Anyone who hasn't heard the instrumental version of this song in stereo needs to absorb this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuUtWOPzSeE
SBonilla
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 07:06:44 PM »

In The Back of My Mind *is* jazzy, featuring some of the jazziest chord progressions in the Beach Boys catalog.  You can really hear the presence of the jazz chords much better in Brian's piano playing on the 1975 "demo".

Truth be told, the mono mix covers up a tremendous amount of what is really going on here.  Anyone who hasn't heard the instrumental version of this song in stereo needs to absorb this:

It's still schmaltzy. Major 7 and minor 9 chords and an intelligent progression don't make a song jazz. The rhythm section is playing straight 8's; there is no syncopation, no improvisation. It ain't got that swing. It's a great track. Yes.
People seem to equate pop songs that use chords with extensions or alternate bass notes as being jazz or jazzy. I don't see it that way. Burt Bacharach had done what Brian was doing (harmonically speaking)  on a more advanced level and he was not a jazz dude. Some of his songs did become vehicles for jazz musicians. Sonny Rollins' version of Alfie, or Roland Kirk's version of I Say A little Prayer, for instance.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 07:15:07 PM »

It's still schmaltzy. Major 7 and minor 9 chords and an intelligent progression don't make a song jazz. The rhythm section is playing straight 8's; there is no syncopation, no improvisation. It ain't got that swing. It's a great track. Yes.
People seem to equate pop songs that use chords with extensions or alternate bass notes as being jazz or jazzy. I don't see it that way. Burt Bacharach had done what Brian was doing (harmonically speaking)  on a more advanced level and he was not a jazz dude. Some of his songs did become vehicles for jazz musicians. Sonny Rollins' version of Alfie, or Roland Kirk's version of I Say A little Prayer, for instance.

As much as I enjoy your posts and opinions, I must protest your use of the name Donald as I have held the Donald name on these beach boys threads since the early days of the internet.   Putting a prefix on the name does not over ride my exclusive right to it.....including the lowercase d for Donald.   Olmec indeed!

Respectfully

....donald
SBonilla
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 07:34:53 PM »

As much as I enjoy your posts and opinions, I must protest your use of the name Donald as I have held the Donald name on these beach boys threads since the early days of the internet.   Putting a prefix on the name does not over ride my exclusive right to it.....including the lowercase d for Donald.   Olmec indeed!

Respectfully

....donald

I was thinking of using Symphoney Cid, but decided against it. Sorry, I'm keeping it for now.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 07:37:49 PM »

Well, if you must Wink
SBonilla
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 07:38:53 PM »

Well, if you must Wink
LOL
SBonilla
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 07:40:07 PM »

Maybe since I talk about jazz and jazzy so much I should make it: Olmec Donald Byrd.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx